• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a new PC a better choice than a next gen console?

kortez320

If you have the money (Key thing right here) to keep your PC updated then it's the easy choice IMHO.

Better and deeper exclusives that you can literally play for years. Better graphics on AAA games. A better indie scene. Tons of options for control methods. Better prices on software. The joy of tinkering. Higher resolutions. Excellent 3d support. 120 frames. Backwards compatibility. Emulation for most old consoles is easily available. I mean the library on PC verus any console ever is not even close. Especially since most of the better console libraries (excluding current gen) are playable on it.

Options, options, options basically.

But as I said earlier you are going to want to be able to update it every now and then. I'm on a 2600k/670 on my 'main' PC. I will definitely be upgrading when the next line up of cards comes out because I'm not all that certain 2gb of VRAM is going to be holding up that well in a year or two.

Honestly though if you have any kind of job and are ok at managing money a decent 800ish computer shouldn't be that huge of an investment.

Grief.exe

But as I said earlier you are going to want to be able to update it every now and then. I'm on a 2600k/670 on my 'main' PC. I will definitely be upgrading when the next line up of cards comes out because I'm not all that certain 2gb of VRAM is going to be holding up that well in a year or two.

The only thing that will cause you to run into VRAM issues is if you are increasing your resolution, either through a new monitor or downsampling.

Came to thread expecting usual tired arguments. Was given graphs and data. OP pretty cool guy.

Not really. Quite a few of the games given a zero came to the PC anyway, and the games that didn't were split between at least 8 consoles (PS 1, 2 and 3, XBox and 360, Gamecube, N64 and Wii, possibly Dreamcast as well).

While my current PC can play getting on for 100 of the 150 games in the list from the last 15 years (even more with emulation), a 360 for example could only play 60 or so. And that's before even considering the viability of the list and its leaning towards well known and AAA games.

erick

Banned
Which one of those genres are impossible with a controller? We have MOBA, Shooters, and non-realtime Strategy games on consoles. Even have football management sims, the PSP even had football manager at the time.

Please tell more about these fascinating console MOBAs you mention :) World of Tanks (~60M users), League of Legends (~32M users) and Dota 2 (~20M users) beg to differ.

Lets see how this looks in numbers for a moment:

PC MOBA genre Top 3 games alone: ~112M players
Wii: ~100M sales
X360: ~78M sales
PS3: ~78M sales

I think you get the point.

The only thing that will cause you to run into VRAM issues is if you are increasing your resolution, either through a new monitor or downsampling.

This is not correct. New consoles will drive vRAM requirements through the roof in no time.

owasog

I can't recommend buying a prebuilt, they use cheap parts, short warranties, and bad performance.
Yeah, things like i7-3770's with a GT630 advertised as monster gaming rigs are not uncommon. Man, I always get angry browsing through prebuilt PC ads.

If you have the money and don't really want the exclusives PS4/XBO are offering than build a PC first. PC is getting MOST of the 3rd party games (the division and destiny would surprise me if they didn't make it to PC) and those 3rd party games will look better on PC if you spend the money; your not gonna get ps4 performance from a 400 dollar PC. Now if games like KZ:SF, Knack, Ryse, Forza 5, Driveclub, and Dead Rising 3 are important to you buy the system that has the games you are most interested in as those games will never come to pc.

As far as consoles bringing PC to its knees I highly doubt it will ever happen again, but if it did and 3rd party devs stopped launching their games on PC; you will still have PC exclusive games like Rome Total War, Dota 2, LoL, most MMORPGS, and Starcraft 2.

Applecot

Why do you have different standards on PC and consoles? What makes the difference?

You can build a full PC at $800 that will play all of current games, and most next gen games in moderate or high settings, at better resolution than consoles and better framerate...

In case it wasn't clear, I don't care much for IQ on the PC either. Or framerates.

Most notably I've been having issues where even RIFT won't even run above 20fps on 2x 6950s

Gueras

Banned
Pretty sure a GTX 780 can handle at least 4 years next-gen games

Come one guys the average from BF3 on ultra@1080p is 95 fps on that beast...

Applecot

Rift is CPU bound, so you need to upgrade your CPU not GPU.

In that regard I'm running a 2500K at around 4.7GHz. On low.

It's also not the only example

Regardless my point was while I (occasionally) notice graphically fidelity differences between ps3 and PC games, it's not enough for me to care.
And then my life fell apart when I realised I spent more money on one of my graphics cards than I did for the PS3.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Not really. Quite a few of the games given a zero came to the PC anyway, and the games that didn't were split between at least 8 consoles (PS 1, 2 and 3, XBox and 360, Gamecube, N64 and Wii, possibly Dreamcast as well).

While my current PC can play getting on for 100 of the 150 games in the list from the last 15 years (even more with emulation), a 360 for example could only play 60 or so. And that's before even considering the viability of the list and its leaning towards well known and AAA games.

I made it pretty clear I was only interested in PC versions that happened at the same time, that was because the whole discussion is moot if you're the kind of gamer who's OK with catching up after the fact. The answer would be obvious, don't buy anything because it will be much cheaper next year.

And I didn't break it down by console because again the thread isn't about picking a console, it's about picking a PC and what you've historically missed out on by picking a PC. If you want to make a thread about whether or not only buying a gamecube was a good move then I've got a spreadsheet that will help you with the data. Spoiler
It wasn't

Willectro

Banned
How does it not matter? It's disingenuous to tout 2 million sales and not mention that it was during massive discounts. Think about it.

Many are likely picking up those games based on the upcoming release of Rome 2. I don't really see how those numbers are an issue either way.

kortez320

Considering we already have games that push 2gb at 1080p I'm not sure I agree with what you are saying.

I have no doubt my card will probabally run a game like BF4 better then next-gen consoles but as I said in my original post in a year or two I imagine VRAM requirments will have gone up quite a bit.

Which I'm okay with. Like I said earlier PC is more expensive. But it's totally worth it. Maybe not for kids but anyone with a job should have zero issues putting something decent together.

Brokun

It depends on how much disposable income you have. Like you said, you will pick up the new consoles in a couple of years. Great games on the consoles won't go away, and you'll be able to pick them up at dirt cheap prices (and probably the GOTY editions with all the bundled dlc too).

There are some great things coming out (some sooner than others) that I absolutely must play on PC. Watch Dogs, Titanfall, Star Citizen, Cyberpunk 2077, Witcher 3, Dragon Age 3, Mass Effect 4. I bit the bullet a month ago and upgraded to a haswell i7 pc, knowing that i couldn't afford both this and the new consoles at the same time.

Similar to you, the launch lineup of these consoles was not blowing me away. Of all the games announced, I was most excited in the ones not coming out at launch, so it just made a helluva lot more sense to wait on the consoles and enjoy my new PC for the next 2 years+

As to your query about the inclusion of PC for multiplatform titles, I think developers have already shown their hands. Watch Dogs and Titanfall are both coming to PC. As time moves forward PCs will become more powerful and the consoles will stay the same. If we're already getting PC ports in the launch window, how many more will we get later into the console cycle? Many many many more.

In my opinion it's a worthwhile investment if you can put some serious money into it. Build something that will last 5-6 years with minor upgrades. Get a haswell motherboard so you've got the socket prepared for when broadwell comes out. Get unlocked parts that are overclockable so you can squeeze out some more juice before having to spend money again. Take some time to browse through the I Need A New PC thread.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
It depends on how much disposable income you have. Like you said, you will pick up the new consoles in a couple of years. Great games on the consoles won't go away, and you'll be able to pick them up at dirt cheap prices (and probably the GOTY editions with all the bundled dlc too).

There are some great things coming out (some sooner than others) that I absolutely must play on PC. Watch Dogs, Titanfall, Star Citizen, Cyberpunk 2077, Witcher 3, Dragon Age 3, Mass Effect 4. I bit the bullet a month ago and upgraded to a haswell i7 pc, knowing that i couldn't afford both this and the new consoles at the same time.

Similar to you, the launch lineup of these consoles was not blowing me away. Of all the games announced, I was most excited in the ones not coming out at launch, so it just made a helluva lot more sense to wait on the consoles and enjoy my new PC for the next 2 years+

As to your query about the inclusion of PC for multiplatform titles, I think developers have already shown their hands. Watch Dogs and Titanfall are both coming to PC. As time moves forward PCs will become more powerful and the consoles will stay the same. If we're already getting PC ports in the launch window, how many more will we get later into the console cycle? Many many many more.

In my opinion it's a worthwhile investment if you can put some serious money into it. Build something that will last 5-6 years with minor upgrades. Get a haswell motherboard so you've got the socket prepared for when broadwell comes out. Get unlocked parts that are overclockable so you can squeeze out some more juice before having to spend money again. Take some time to browse through the I Need A New PC thread.

Thanks for your post that makes a lot of sense

I have a lot of questions about this stuff but I think I as you suggest I will read the New PC thread and ask them there instead.

Considering we already have games that push 2gb at 1080p I'm not sure I agree with what you are saying.

I have no doubt my card will probabally run a game like BF4 better then next-gen consoles but as I said in my original post in a year or two I imagine VRAM requirments will have gone up quite a bit.

Which I'm okay with. Like I said earlier PC is more expensive. But it's totally worth it. Maybe not for kids but anyone with a job should have zero issues putting something decent together.

I am Inclined to agree with this

I did a test and Crysis 2 on Ultra with everything turned up was eating 1.8GB of my 2GB vram GTX 760 at 1920x1080 and hitting 2GB+ at 2556x1440. That said BF3 on Ultra with everything maxed only takes about 1.5GB at 1920x1080 so I am sure a 2GB card will be fine for the next year or two.

Depends on when your exclusives of choice arrive. If you really are the Killzone guy,or the Forza guy, get the machine that plays your games. I haven't gotten my wiiu yet, but I'm the zelda guy so that'll be soon.

I mean a GTX 680 2GB will be reduced to single-digit fps as well as a GT 630 2GB entry level card, as soon as the vRAM capacity is exceeded, regardless of the 4,5x difference in rendering power...

to be clear, my skepticism is regarding a GTX 680 dropping to single digit frames once VRAM has been exceeded. This hasn't been my experience. Stuttering, certianly, but single digit frames?

I run a 680 SLI setup right now. When I get off work I'll push the VRAM over 2GB via Skyrim mods or something and come back with a more accurate analysis of what happens.

KKRT00

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-inside-killzone-shadow-fall

3GB for vRAM, 1,5GB for system RAM. And that is more or less a launch game.

1.5gb of that VRAM is used for stuff that wouldnt normally be in PC version in VRAM. For once 800MB is used for buffers [render targets in slides], which is too much and secondly they have 1.3gb of non-streaming textures, because HDD can be to slow, which You would store in DDR 3 ram on PC. So, KZ:SF demo used around 1.4-1.5gb actual VRAM for rendering.

VRAM requirements wont cross 2gb with 2.5-3gb being some niche exception for a whole generation. And thats of course not on lowest settings.

Grief.exe

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-inside-killzone-shadow-fall

3GB for vRAM, 1,5GB for system RAM. And that is more or less a launch game.

You can't just compare it 1:1 like that.

PCs have significantly more System Memory that can then be easily streamed to the VRAM. While the PS4 just has one set of Memory that works for everything, and a good chunk of that reserved for the OS.

We have been running next-gen console games for a couple years now. 2GB of VRAM isn't going to cause problems unless you go over 1080p.

Duallusion

the top five games on steam right now are dota 2, football manager, TF2, counter-strike and Civ 5. three of which are impossible with a controller, the other two put you at a huge competitive advantage to the point where playing with a one is an exercise in masochistic frustration.

so don't get your hopes of for steam to suddenly impose limiting draconian standards on input devices to the detriment of the vast majority of the userbase.

Funny you should mention "imposing limiting draconian standards." It's what I would call a mouse/keyboard combo for playing most gaming genres, other then the ones you've mentioned and perhaps a couple of others - and no, shooters aren't among them, 'cause I don't give a shit about "competitive disadvantage". But hey, that's just me.

Steambox wouldn't somehow force developers to incorporate gamepad support in hardcore strategies and other such PC-centric genres either. I just imagined it as PC in a nice box that comes with a gamepad as standard, has OS tailored to be fully operable with a gamepad and has games on its digital market with full gamepad support clearly marked. People could jack in their keyboards and mouses and trackpads or upgrade all they'd want, since it'd still be an open platform. Just more focused on gaming in living rooms.

It'd be best of both worlds, as far as I'm concerned.

I made it pretty clear I was only interested in PC versions that happened at the same time, that was because the whole discussion is moot if you're the kind of gamer who's OK with catching up after the fact. The answer would be obvious, don't buy anything because it will be much cheaper next year.

And I didn't break it down by console because again the thread isn't about picking a console, it's about picking a PC and what you've historically missed out on by picking a PC. If you want to make a thread about whether or not only buying a gamecube was a good move then I've got a spreadsheet that will help you with the data. Spoiler
It wasn't

Yeah, this just illustrates what ghst has said on a few occasions- the terms of reference always seem to be very carefully picked in these debates (games must be AAA, in a certain genre etc etc).

In this case, not only must the PC game have been released at around the same time, but the proposition really should be PC vs All Consoles combined, not a particular console.

A better thread title would be 'Is a new PC a better choice than buying all the next gen consoles?'

Kater

Banned
PC + Nintendo has served me well. I usually end up picking up Sony's offerings as well when they're cheaper down the road.
This.
Pick a 3DS/Wii U & PC and PS4 when it is 300 or less and you will have access to every game of every genre.

If I had to choose, I'd go with console over PC. There's something to be said for the ease of use with a console (as much as it has eroded, it still has an edge IMO).
Especially if you use your PC for more than just gaming, which you really should be.
I find that more exclusives come to consoles than PC, and unless you play games on PC you honestly rarely know what you're missing in terms of graphical effects and frame rates.

That said, I'd hate to give up my PC, the option to play PC exclusives and console games prettier is super nice, I just know that I could do without it if I absolutely had to.

This is the way I see it, once you chuck all that silly ass fanboy crap out the window. So say you need a new PC right now, regardless of gaming, take the money you would have spent towards a ps4 and add it to you gpu budget. You have to buy a PC, so put your money where it'll serve you best.
'But Nealand' you say 'I don't need a PC right now. My PC is rather good, I can play Bf3 @ 1080p & 60fps with a couple compromises! I really only want to future proof my PC'.
'Well unnamed gaffer friend' I say 'You silly shit, your PC is already future proofed enough for now. Why are you even asking this question you little goof? You should pick up a ps4, wait until gpus get a bit better and come down in price, then upgrade your PC.'

Tl;dr
Need a pc? Going to buy one anyway?
Invest in a killer gpu.
Don't need a PC?
Buy a ps4, wait until prices come down.

Grief.exe

This.
Pick a 3DS/Wii U & PC and PS4 when it is 300 or less and you will have access to every game of every genre.

I don't really see the point of owning a Wii U currently, but I got PC/3DS right now with a PS4 to come in 2015/2016.

If he wants to wait until next year... fine...

But i think a GTX 780 can handle a long term...

problably a HD7970 overclocked can handle 2 more years at least...

With a slight OC, the 7970 is twice as powerful as the PS4 GPU in raw power, it will be more than fine.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
If he wants to wait until next year... fine...

But i think a GTX 780 can handle a long term...

problably a HD7970 overclocked can handle 2 more years at least...
Ps4 won't change. Buy it at launch and you're set. The PC will continue to evolve. If you're debating between the two it would seem to make more sense to go with the static platform first.

I'm planning to stick with a GTX680 for the time being but, unless they are terrible ports, I'll probably play most new multiplats on the new consoles initially. I can't deny it, new consoles are exciting and I enjoy owning games when possible.

Why not just wait until the next gen of cards at this point?

I would think that for some, 6-12 months is a long time to wait. That's a good reason.

Or that maxwell could wind up disappointing like the move from tesla to fermi. Holy hell the GTX 480 was bad. Also, read the I need a new pc thread where countless people are complaining about how haswell let them down.

And let's be real, the 780 is awesome, and will probably trade for at least $400-$500+ on ebay. I'd say that after a year, $100-$200 of that $650 would have been well spent cash anyway, depending on how much you used your card. Rendering stuff in under an hour with Octane and Design Garage is pretty cool.

I still have a backlog for my PS3. Last games I will buy are TLOU followed by GTA V. I will concentrate on the Wii U and 3DS games for a while. The Wii U library will grow with quality titles in the months to come and 3DS library is already solid.

Next year I am getting a new PC for Multiplats and for MP gaming. I will decide just by 1 or 2 MP titles, don't have the time to play more than that. Looks like CoD plus TitanFall or Destiny. Not going to touch anything by EA.

I am sure I am going to look at some PS4/XB1 exclusives in the future with desire, but I am going to hold off, if a certain platform builds a lot of exclusives I might pick it up 3-4 years from now.

erick

Banned
1.5gb of that VRAM is used for stuff that wouldnt normally be in PC version in VRAM. For once 800MB is used for buffers [render targets in slides], which is too much and secondly they have 1.3gb of non-streaming textures, because HDD can be to slow, which You would store in DDR 3 ram on PC. So, KZ:SF demo used around 1.4-1.5gb actual VRAM for rendering.

VRAM requirements wont cross 2gb with 2.5-3gb being some niche exception for a whole generation. And thats of course not on lowest settings.

I love your optimism. You're wrong though. Right now there are single player games that can demonstrably exceed 2GB vRAM usage, BF3 MP on ultra settings being one of the offenders.

pixlexic

Banned
Please tell more about these fascinating console MOBAs you mention :) World of Tanks (~60M users), League of Legends (~32M users) and Dota 2 (~20M users) beg to differ.

This is not correct. New consoles will drive vRAM requirements through the roof in no time.

No they won't. I don't think you guys under stand that a gpu has a limit to how much texture data it can render before getting bogged down .. It's not infinite.

That's not the same as texture streaming which its switching in/out textures as you go.

my bet is next gen consoles won't even use 2gigs for VRAM for a long time if ever.

There is a reason games like bf4 has to have lower texture quality.

coldfoot

Banned

e.
What kind of an idiot compares the player count of FREE to play games with console hardware sales?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I think so. You'll have a pretty fucking big launch library on steam waiting for you! :)

KKRT00

I love your optimism. You're wrong though. Right now there are single player games that can demonstrably exceed 2GB vRAM usage, BF3 MP on ultra settings being one of the offenders.

Probably because i actually am interested in those things. For example BF 3 uses as much VRAM as it can, because of their texture streaming engine, also ultra uses 4x MSAA, which takes at least 400-500mb alone in deferred rendering engine.

And how am i wrong? Console will use max 6gb of ram for games, but mostly 5-5.5. Half of that is max they will be using for pure graphics, rest will be stuff You store in system ram on PC.

Top Bottom