• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Alien vs. Predator Jaguar open-world or nahh?

Is Alien vs. Predator Jaguar open-world or nahh?

• yeah, absolutely.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • nahh, not at all, it is still the same key hunting.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • It's Metroidvania-esque

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • more open than most FPS back then, but not enough to be called open-world

Votes: 30 46.2%
  • I have another opinion that will write in the comments

Votes: 3 4.6%

• Total voters

molasar

Banned
uhhh, it says so because I've changed it.

Lol again. So you have proven yourself that any one can manipulate wiki texts but they cannot change the truth this way.

BTW smart people know that the most stuff from wiki should be verified by comparison with other sources.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Lol again. So you have proven yourself that any one can manipulate wiki texts but they cannot change the truth this way.
Yes, anyone can edit wiki pages. Was this ever in question?

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The only sucker here is you. You have never played a game on original hardware when it was released. Flawed emulators from around 2015 do not count. Lol.
Doesn't change the genre, grandpa.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly. It is still an open world game with FPS element in it, formula milk lover.
Open world is debatable, as pointed out in this thread by several people already. Most did agree on it being more open than most FPS around the time, but definitely not enough to be called an open world game. What's not debatable is that AvsP is an FPS. Even with "other elements" thrown into the mix it is still an FPS. Far Cry is open world, it is still an FPS.

Let see what James Hampton, the game's producer has to say:
The updated design pitched to Activision/20th Century Fox identified the Jaguar title as a first person shooter which included being able to play all three sides (Alien, Predator or Marine).

molasar

Banned
Open world is debatable, as pointed out in this thread by several people already. Most did agree on it being more open than most FPS around the time, but definitely not enough to be called an open world game. What's not debatable is that AvsP is an FPS. Even with "other elements" thrown into the mix it is still an FPS. Far Cry is open world, it is still an FPS.

Everything was already explained in my previous comments. And it is not a case of democratic vote.
You have zero arguments and games you try to bring from future time period do not count as they are more sophisticated and run on more powerful hardware.
Not to mention open world genre term was not used at all. They have to come up with something new. That is why the game adverts, box and manual do not call it FPS but "tactical simulator depicting the events" that occurred in the past.

Again explain what to do as each character in the game and how you are limited by environment in it. Do you progress level by level? Do you have to kill all enemies?

Let see what James Hampton, the game's producer has to say:
"The updated design pitched to Activision/20th Century Fox identified the Jaguar title as a first person shooter which included being able to play all three sides (Alien, Predator or Marine)."

Do you understand what pitching means? Especially if you do this to people who do not play games? A change from a SNES' AvP port to something new?

With every new post you fool yourself even more. Lol.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
You have zero arguments

Sure buddy, and as your tirade on what AvsP is supposed to be goes on, it is YOU who, contrary to the view of the developers, Atari, every reviewer, and every empirical source, knows that AvsP is not a filthy first-person shooter inspired by the likes of Doom and Wolfenstein, it is an open-world horror survival combat simulator with an FPS element instead.

You're tragic.

UnNamed

Banned
AvsP is not an open world, unless "open world" meaning is completely subjective. Like a penis vagina.

AvsP design is heavy tied to its corridors and obligatory paths. Even the backtracking is limited in AvsP, that's why people could not consider it as a proper metroivania. Let alone open world.

FPS is mostly the main mechanics as opposed to System Shock or Deus Ex (and still they are considered FPS by many)

If we want to base this discussion on merely opinions, then my opinion is good and I'm right because I said so.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The argument of the year:

10-15 FPS is fine because AvsP is not a first-person shooter.
--molasar
Man of the decade, philosopher, historian

molasar

Banned
Sure buddy, and as your tirade on what AvsP is supposed to be goes on, it is YOU who, contrary to the view of the developers, Atari, every reviewer, and every empirical source, knows that AvsP is not a filthy first-person shooter inspired by the likes of Doom and Wolfenstein, it is an open-world horror survival combat simulator with an FPS element instead.

You're tragic.

Lol again. It is your tirade and you made yourself a drama queen of the highest order.
You even tried to make it that Hampton stated they made an FPS game because this is how he pitched it to decision makers. How pathetic it is.
And still continue presenting the same arguments which I debunked in my previous comments.

molasar

Banned
AvsP is not an open world, unless "open world" meaning is completely subjective. Like a penis vagina.

AvsP design is heavy tied to its corridors and obligatory paths. Even the backtracking is limited in AvsP, that's why people could not consider it as a proper metroivania. Let alone open world.

FPS is mostly the main mechanics as opposed to System Shock or Deus Ex (and still they are considered FPS by many)

If we want to base this discussion on merely opinions, then my opinion is good and I'm right because I said so.

Nope. We want to base this discussion on facts, not opinions.

The game is an open world and you cannot change it. And no, it is not limited and it is not a metroidvania.

molasar

Banned
The argument of the year:

--molasar
Man of the decade, philosopher, historian

You still cannot debunk me. Then again AvP frame rate does not impact its gameplay because it is not an FPS but a game coined as a "combat simulator" in an open world environment (space base with two docked spacecrafts) which mixes many elements.

Try your nonsense with someone else.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
You still cannot debunk me. Then again AvP frame rate does not impact its gameplay because it is not an FPS but a game coined as a "combat simulator" in an open world environment (space base with two docked spacecrafts) which mixes many elements.

Try your nonsense with someone else.
Okay, debate lord. Literally, anyone debunked you, but you may come to a realization sooner or later in a flash of thought. As of right now though, you are completely delusional, but it is very fun to watch how hard you try to twist reality. And no, the game being coined as a "combat simulator" doesn't change the fact that it is an FPS.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I did from the very beginning.
tenor.gif

molasar

Banned
Okay, debate lord. Literally, anyone debunked you, but you may come to a realization sooner or later in a flash of thought. As of right now though, you are completely delusional, but it is very fun to watch how hard you try to twist reality. And no, the game being coined as a "combat simulator" doesn't change the fact that it is an FPS.

I still do not see any of my arguments debunked. BTW if you have not noticed Alien does not use any range weapons and Predator only two of four available to him (which happens after he acquires enough honor points). Only Marine does. It alone proves that the game is not FPS but a game with an element of it.

Perhaps you should call it an RPG game with a first person view then.

It means you failed big time with your drama soap opera.

Last edited:

molasar

Banned
- AVP is an open world game :messenger_tears_of_joy:
- Better and more influential than DOOM :messenger_tears_of_joy:
- Low frame rate doesn't affect playbility :messenger_dizzy:

This predator person is more than just a fanboy. This is crazy stuff.

Yes, it is an open world game. And you cannot change it.
Are you trying to compare two different games here?
Explain me how frame rate negatively affected Jag's AvP. Oh, you cannot. Lol.

Nope, I am not a fanboy and it was explained by me in my previous posts. I am only interested in good products based on Predator IP.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
- AVP is an open world game :messenger_tears_of_joy:
- Better and more influential than DOOM :messenger_tears_of_joy:
- Low frame rate doesn't affect playbility :messenger_dizzy:

This predator person is more than just a fanboy. This is crazy stuff.
You missed:

-AVP is not an FPS.
and
-AVP wouldn't profit from mouse aiming.

molasar

Banned
Yes i can. It's tiresome to play, slow to respond and looks bad on the eyes as it stutters through.

Nope, you cannot. The game is not an FPS (it has FPS element in it though), there is no slow respond (it is built with its frame rate in mind), does not look bad (no game in 1994 presented better graphics [digitized objects] with this point of view, not even Doom 2), it does not stutter (it is built with its frame rate in mind and there is no slowdown that impacts gameplay).

You did not play it in 1994/95 and emulators (perhaps your only experience with it) from around 2015 don't count as they are still flawed.

SoulTas

Neo Member
Nope, you cannot. The game is not an FPS (it has FPS element in it though), there is no slow respond (it is built with its frame rate in mind), does not look bad (no game in 1994 presented better graphics [digitized objects] with this point of view, not even Doom 2), it does not stutter (it is built with its frame rate in mind and there is no slowdown that impacts gameplay).

You did not play it in 1994/95 and emulators (perhaps your only experience with it) from around 2015 don't count as they are still flawed.
Who said i didn't play it? Do you know me personally somehow?

Low frame rate is bad for any game, not just 1st person shooters, although AVP is a 1st person game either way. The game has slowdowns, it's not consistent, it can drop more if there's a lot going on. Looks like it's you who don't remember how it plays. And it runs the same on emulators, it's not like it runs smoother on the real Jaguar console or anything. So i'm not sure what your point is :pie_thinking:

so it wouldn't profit from mouse aiming?
With that horrible frame rate playing it with a mouse sounds like a nightmare tbh.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
. Its gameplay was not build with mouse control in mind.
Neither was GoldenEye or Halo or Metroid Prime and they all play wonderfully with the added precision and natural movements of a mouse.
A mouse is objectively better in first-person games, which comes to no surprise because you have a way bigger radius to aim as you can use your wrist and your arm, not only your thumb. It doesn't need to be a shooter, even though AvsP still is, obviously.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
With that horrible frame rate playing it with a mouse sounds like a nightmare tbh.
well, my comment a few pages ago about a source port of AvP to the PC with better framerate and mouse aiming was met with despise by molasar molasar
guess he is a purist.

molasar

Banned
Who said i didn't play it? Do you know me personally somehow?

Low frame rate is bad for any game, not just 1st person shooters, although AVP is a 1st person game either way. The game has slowdowns, it's not consistent, it can drop more if there's a lot going on. Looks like it's you who don't remember how it plays. And it runs the same on emulators, it's not like it runs smoother on the real Jaguar console or anything. So i'm not sure what your point is :pie_thinking:

Your own comments are proof of it.

Nope. If a game is built with particular frame rate in mind then it is not bad for it. Yes, Jag's AvP is a 1st person view game with elements of FPS, not dedicated shooter. Somehow those slowdowns have not been noticed by me or people I knew in 1994/95. I wonder why. Also in this there is not a lot going on unless you do a run in open areas (e.g. canteen) to gather enemies. But they wait in a queue nicely to get to you. Usually it ends with your death anyway.
Nope, I remember how does it play. No issue with it at all. Again the game was built with its frame rate in mind. There is no emulator which emulates it perfectly.

Then again. The game was built for a Jag controller with its frame rate in mind. It does not even make sense to play it with mouse (if it was possible) as it is not a dedicated shooter.

molasar

Banned
Neither was GoldenEye or Halo or Metroid Prime and they all play wonderfully with the added precision and natural movements of a mouse.
A mouse is objectively better in first-person games, which comes to no surprise because you have a way bigger radius to aim as you can use your wrist and your arm, not only your thumb. It doesn't need to be a shooter, even though AvsP still is, obviously.

FYI Personally I prefer controllers in FPS because analogue stick is better for walking (does not feel like ice skating with mouse) and triggers for shooting feel better. An aiming precision with mouse is perhaps good in competitive games but very unrealistic and less pleasant gameplay wise.
I never enjoyed any FPS with mouse and keyboard. Even those where build for them.
Again Jag's AvP is not a dedicated shooter.

Top Bottom