• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone have the feeling that games in PS3/X360 era was simply better?

Which generation you enjoyed more so far?

• Total voters

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Current gen has a lot of good games but lost some big names too. A trend seen with each new generation. I enjoyed last gen more I guess but I spent a lot more time with today's consoles so....

Breakage

Gen 7 was the era when many Japanese devs lost confidence. The tech often felt as if it was struggling to keep up with the games it was running.
But it still retained the mid-tier range of earlier eras, which produced some interesting results.

Naked Lunch

This PS4/XB1 gen has been the worst gaming gen in the history of the medium. No debate.

This gen is defined by Hero Shooterz, Battle Royales, Rouge-lites, 3rd Person Cinematic Walk-a-thons, and wanna-be Metroidvania indies. All equally garbage.

The games are not memorable at all. The only games I will remember are Bloodborne, Shovel Knight, Hyperlight Drifter, Ace Combat 7, and Monster Hunter World. I could easily list 100 better games from the PS360 era.

I spent more time playing remasters and retro stuff than new titles this gen.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What are those, if I may ask out of pure curiosity?

Breath of the Wild totally reinvigorated the Zelda series (and is the best game ever made IMO), God of War did the same for that series, TW3 is probably the best RPG of all time, Spider-Man PS4 is my dream Spidey game (after having been constantly disappointed ever since SM2), TLOU2 brings storytelling in video games to a new level, Rocket League is my most played game ever.

There is more, but those are some examples.

yurqqa

Maybe for people who had only Xboxes it was the best generation, but for the people who like diverse games, it was the worse.

It was a "safe bets" gerenation for the western publishers and a tough time for japanese developers.

SIgnificant step down from PS2 library and we are gradually going up this generation. I'm very optimistic for the next generation due to easier development.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The medium evolved, your tastes didn't, OP.
Seem more like "devolve", I haven't seen much innovation this gen.

Maybe for people who had only Xboxes it was the best generation, but for the people who like diverse games, it was the worse.

It was a "safe bets" gerenation for the western publishers and a tough time for japanese developers.

SIgnificant step down from PS2 library and we are gradually going up this generation. I'm very optimistic for the next generation due to easier development.
I had PS3 also and yes diverse games were more prominent, but I also don't really play Japanese games tho. Aside from those which are "westerned"... I guess.

Perrott

Gold Member
Seem more like "devolve", I haven't seen much innovation this gen.
Really? There's Destiny (shared online worlds), Death Stranding (traversal mechanics), PUBG (battle royale genre), Shadow of Mordor (nemesis system) and the arrival of VR gaming to PS4 and PC.

And I'm sure there are tons of other quirky features and smaller innovations present in other titles as well, such as RDR2's dialogue system, No Man's Sky procedurally generated worlds, Return of the Obra Dinn's proper detective gameplay, Apex Legends' ping system, Dreams' creation toolset, The Last Guardian's Trico AI, etc...

There are many things better last gen, but quite a bit better this gen as well. Last gen was full of sub 720p games with sub 30 framerates, ugly textures, and cover shooters but at the same time produced so many great games . I played way more games during this era as well but some of that could be due to outside factors this gen personally.

6th generation is the greatest of all time. PS2 has the greatest library of any console, and every console had something different to offer giving a reason to own all 3.

Late 90s PC gaming is where it’s at. None of this new-fangled PS3 crap.
I love late 90s PC games. I was a PC kid and spent all of my time playing stuff like Big Game Hunter 1998, Amazon Trail 3rd Edition, Janes combat fighters, SIM games, etc. Great times, but I moved to consoles afterwards. I wonder how easy it would be to get those running on Windows 10.

I'll preface by saying I have yet to dip my toes into the 8th gen, so I'm entirely speaking from the optics of someone whose still playing through a 7th gen backlog. Therefore my perspective is probably pretty skewed.

That said, I honestly think the 7th gen will eventually grow into an underrated gen in hindsight that spawned a mass of underground cult sleeper hits (e.g. El shaddai, NeverDead, WET). People are way, way too critical towards it. Those who paint it with a broad stroke stating it was mostly "brown and grey military shooters" sound like they have a lmited scope of the releases in that gen. I think some of the negative perception is partially due to the media and people taking their word. It seems like they unjustly derid a lot of actual decent games worth playing as "bad", meanwhile giving straight 'A's to games like Uncharted which aged terribly in the gameplay aspect. I'm in the process of playing through a swath of supposedly poorly rated games only to be consistently surprised by how much I'm enjoying them. Ironically, some of the higher rated games like Uncharted for instance seem boring gameplay-wise in comparison to these "bad" games that I've played/I'm playing as of recent. Subjectivity aside and all that, maybe I'm less critical and more tolerant than the average gamer. Maybe that makes me have terrible taste in the minds of the snobs on GAF or whatever.

If I have to say anything negative about the 7th gen its that it was the gen which saw the fall of many, many favored and renowned studios (mostly AA), long time established series, and the conception of microtransaction which has lead us to the current dytopia we find ourslves in.

Initially, I was pretty critical of the 8th gen, but recently I've been skimming the current gen library out of curiousity and since come to acknowledge that it does seem to have a fair share of interesting and appealing titles (AA publishers seem to be making a rebound). Albeit, in a smaller scale compared to 7th and prior. Which has actually revised my decision of not getting an 8th gen console. Most of its saving grace is thanks to Japanese and smaller European studios though.

Last edited:

M1chl

I'll preface by saying I have yet to dip my toes into the 8th gen, so I'm entirely speaking from the optics of someone whose still playing thourgh a 7th gen backlog. Therefore my perspective is probably pretty skewed.

That said, I honestly think the 7th gen will eventually grow into an underrated gen in hindsight that spawned a mass of underground cult sleeper hits (e.g. El shaddai, NeverDead, WET). People are way, way too critical towards it. Those who paint it with a broad stroke stating it was mostly "brown and grey military shooters" sound like they have a lmited scope of the releases in that gen. I think some of the negative perception is partially due to the media and people taking their word. It seems like they unjustly derid a lot of actual decent games worth playing as "bad", meanwhile giving straight 'A's to games like Uncharted which aged terribly in the gameplay aspect. I'm in the process of playing through a swath of supposedly poorly rated games only to be consistently surprised by how much I'm enjoying them. Ironically, some of the higher rated games like Uncharted for instance seem boring gameplay-wise in comparison to these "bad" games that I've played/I'm playing as of recent. Subjectivity aside and all that, maybe I'm less critical and more tolerant than the average gamer. Maybe that makes me have terrible taste in the minds of the snobs on GAF or whatever.

If I have to say anything negative about the 7th gen its that it was the gen which saw the fall of many, many favored and renowned studios (mostly AA), long time established series, and the conception of microtransaction which has lead us to the current dytopia we find ourslves in.

Initially, I was pretty critical of the 8th gen, but recently I've been skimming the current gen library out of curiousity and since come to acknowledge that it does seem to have a fair share of interesting and appealing titles (AA publishers seem to be making a rebound). Albeit, in a smaller scale compared to 7th and prior. Which has actually revised my decision of not getting an 8th gen console. Most its saving grace is thanks to Japanese and smaller European studios though.
WET, how could I forget. Insaane

There are many things better last gen, but quite a bit better this gen as well. Last gen was full of sub 720p games with sub 30 framerates, ugly textures, and cover shooters but at the same time produced so many great games . I played way more games during this era as well but some of that could be due to outside factors this gen personally.

6th generation is the greatest of all time. PS2 has the greatest library of any console, and every console had something different to offer giving a reason to own all 3.

I love late 90s PC games. I was a PC kid and spent all of my time playing stuff like Big Game Hunter 1998, Amazon Trail 3rd Edition, Janes combat fighters, SIM games, etc. Great times, but I moved to consoles afterwards. I wonder how easy it would be to get those running on Windows 10.
I like the argument, that games looked like shit last gen, but when it comes to PS2 gen it was even worse. So I don't know.

tsumake

WET, how could I forget. Insaane

I like the argument, that games looked like shit last gen, but when it comes to PS2 gen it was even worse. So I don't know.

Perhaps we should temper our criticisms when it comes to assessing graphics on a technical level? The drab color tone is worth critiquing from an aesthetic standpoint, but things like resolution, framerate, etc. could be construed as “products of the time.” Think of how much people hated the early polygonal games as being “primitive” yet we’re now seeing indie games copying the look (Dusk, Strafe,etc).

Technical issues can eventually be overcome through, well, technology. Xbox One allow backward compatibility of 360 and original Xbox games, allowing higher resolutions and even better framerates.

I know there is more to this argument, but I’m throwing my hat into the discussion.

Kokoloko85

Mixed feelings.
There was alot more in the ps3/360 era. More from 3rd party and exclusives. But at the same time plenty this gen.

But Im happier with the remakes, remasters, collections and classics coming back this gen.

We’ve had some genuine wow I cant believe there doing it moments this gen, which in the PS3 and 360 era people wouldnt even Dream of being remade or brought back like...

Final Fantasy 7 remake
Resident Evil remakes 2 and 3
Shen Mue 3
Streets of Rage 4
Sonic Mania
Shadow of Colossus ( maybe too soon but still )
Crash Bandicoot trilogy
Mana series
Psychonaughts 2
Spyro trilogy

Plus there has been plenty of Gems like:

Bloodborne
God of War
Horizon
Witcher 3
Ori,
Gears 5
Sekiro,
Red dead redemption 2,
MGS5,
Breath of the wild, Odessy, Animal Crossing, Dragon Quest
and much much more. Plus amazing indies too.

Its just preference

Last edited:

M1chl

Perhaps we should temper our criticisms when it comes to assessing graphics on a technical level? The drab color tone is worth critiquing from an aesthetic standpoint, but things like resolution, framerate, etc. could be construed as “products of the time.” Think of how much people hated the early polygonal games as being “primitive” yet we’re now seeing indie games copying the look (Dusk, Strafe,etc).

Technical issues can eventually be overcome through, well, technology. Xbox One allow backward compatibility of 360 and original Xbox games, allowing higher resolutions and even better framerates.

I know there is more to this argument, but I’m throwing my hat into the discussion.
Well for the record, I was not talking about resolution/framerate, at all in OP. This gen, especially OG consoles loosing breath pretty badly anyway. I do agree with that "product of the time" thing and I wanted to be like that, when I created OP.

Mixed feelings.
There was alot more in the ps3/360 era. More from 3rd party and exclusives. But at the same time plenty this gen.

But Im happier with the remakes, remasters, collections and classics coming back this gen. Plus there has been plenty of Gem from Bloodborne, God of War, Horizon, Witcher 3, Ori, Gears 5, Sekiro, Red dead redemption 2, MGS5, Breath of the wild, Odessy, Animal Crossing, Dragon Questd and much much more. Plus amazing indies too.

Its just preference and how you feel.

We’ve had some genuine wow I cant believe there doing it moments this gen, which in the PS3 and 360 era people wouldnt even Dream of being remade or brought back like...

This gen alone we’ve had the impassive wow moments like:

Final Fantasy 7 remake
Resident Evil remakes 2 and 3
Shen Mue 3
Streets of Rage 4
Sonic Mania
Shadow of Colossus ( maybe too soon but still )
Crash Bandicoot trilogy
Mana series
Psychonaughts 2
Spyro trilogy
I'll give you RE 2 Remake, aside from that it's outside of my taste. And as far as I know Psychonaughts 2 still does not came out, no?

No, the ps3 controller was shit.

360 controller was awesome though.
And what does it have to do with games?

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

stranno

Great games but unfortunately the performance standard was really poor. This generation has many games with performance issues but 30FPS has been commonly the standar, but back in 360/PS3 days it was more like 20-25FPS.

I still remember Gundam Crossfire as my first Playstation 3 game and thank god they added auto-aiming because, otherwise, it would have been completely unplayable.

Kokoloko85

Well for the record, I was not talking about resolution/framerate, at all in OP. This gen, especially OG consoles loosing breath pretty badly anyway. I do agree with that "product of the time" thing and I wanted to be like that, when I created OP.

I'll give you RE 2 Remake, aside from that it's outside of my taste. And as far as I know Psychonaughts 2 still does not came out, no?

Thats your taste dude. Theres a bit for everyone.
No1 was expecting games like Final fantasy 7, Shen mue 3, crash, RE 2and Streets of rage to finally come back.

Last gen i cant remember any dream titles being made off the top of my head like this gen.

Plus i forgot we got a new Half life game this gen too..... defo better remakes this gen
And yes its not out yet Phychonauts 2 but the announcement was a wow moment for alot of fans

Last gen 3rd party was alot stronger

Dark Souls 1 and 2
Skyrim
Fallout 3.
New Vegas
Red dead Redpemtion
GTA 4. GTA 5
Bioshocks
New Tomb raider
New Batman games were ground breaking

O and lets not forget the Rise of CAll of Duty:
Call of Duty 2, 3, Modern Warfare 1 and 2, Black Ops 1 and 2 etc all blockbuster games

Assassins creed made its introduction and was popular

All amazing popular games

Last edited:

M1chl

Great games but unfortunately the performance standard was really poor. This generation has many games with performance issues but 30FPS has been commonly the standar, but back in 360/PS3 days it was more like 20-25FPS.

I still remember Gundam Crossfire as my first Playstation 3 game and thank god they added auto-aiming because, otherwise, it would have been completely unplayable.
If you get your OG consoles this gen in past 3 years, it's the same thing.

the user experience.

Bolivar687

Banned
You could maybe say the games reached higher highs, but you can't compare the amount of content when AAA studios last generation could put out a new game every 2 years like clockwork. Having no new GTA or Elder Scrolls is a disaster. This generation also made me question whether console gaming is still for me at this point.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
No. Like early 3D with PSX, Saturn and N64, the PS360 were experimental games. We jumped to a new standard with games, having wide screen and 720p of resolution (mostly not native, but whatever).

Now the games are in a mature place of development, with mostly engines working nicelly on consoles... the problem is the boner to have the biggest, moviest, and longer AAA game pushed into gamers ass.

Some games starting development soon as the console launchs and releases in the later half. What the fuck? There's nothing wrong in a beat'em up like the old God of War games, with like two years of development. But no, now the game is like if Last of Us had a baby with Dark Souls, with the time of development and budget from both games together

A publisher could have some games with this big direction, but doesn't need to be a lot. We have space for simpler games, and not just by indies

stranno

If you get your OG consoles this gen in past 3 years, it's the same thing.
Not nearly that worse..

Just check some XBOX One launch titles: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag almost locked 30FPS most of the time, Battlefield 4 ranging from 50 to 60FPS, Forza Motorsport 5 locked 60FPS, Need for Speed: Rivals almost locked 30FPS, Ryse: Son of Rome 25-30FPS, Watch Dogs locked 30FPS, etc.

While 360 had games like Call of Duty 2 ranging from 30 to 60FPS, Need for Speed: Most Wanted dropping to 25 with more cars on screen, Perfect Dark Zero from 20-25FPS with any AI, etc.

Last edited:

tassletine

I think games have generally moved away from being games and more into the arena of interactive movies. This is obvious but I wish that more people were actually interested in making new games — as in new rule sets — rather than just upping the realism or copying what’s come before. Nintendo seem to still be interested in new concepts but most aren’t.

This Gen has been weird. I’ve enjoyed it a lot and seen some staggering things, but it only really feels like it’s beginning and developers have just last year found their footing — and now we have to move onto a new console. This is the one gen where it doesn’t feel right, and I have a feeling that Sony and Mircosoft are going to have a hard time selling their new machines simply because there isn’t a demand for it.

M1chl

No. Like early 3D with PSX, Saturn and N64, the PS360 were experimental games. We jumped to a new standard with games, having wide screen and 720p of resolution (mostly not native, but whatever).

Now the games are in a mature place of development, with mostly engines working nicelly on consoles... the problem is the boner to have the biggest, moviest, and longer AAA game pushed into gamers ass.

Some games starting development soon as the console launchs and releases in the later half. What the fuck? There's nothing wrong in a beat'em up like the old God of War games, with like two years of development. But no, now the game is like if Last of Us had a baby with Dark Souls, with the time of development and budget from both games together

A publisher could have some games with this big direction, but doesn't need to be a lot. We have space for simpler games, and not just by indies
I don't like this "mature" state at all, since that basically imply, that developers/publishers know what sells and that is terrible state in gaming. I mean the way you are talking it seems to me that you like more how it was then how it is, but it's maybe my impression.

I agree 100%, my backlog is as big as it's ever been but no game this generation has given me more fun or feels or enjoyment than games like the Mass Effect trilogy, Dragon Age: Origins, GTA IV, Lost Odyssey, Deadly Premonition, TES IV Oblivion, Uncharted 2, Modern Warfare 4 and many others.

There are only 3 games this generation that I consider masterpieces or that have left any impact on me. Those are Red Dead Redemption 2, The Witcher 3 and on the multiplayer side, Rocket League. That's it. Maybe I'm getting old but my love for gaming seems to be diminishing a bit and it seen to me like I've been playing games on autopilot lately. I have beaten so many games during the quarantine and I can't barely name one now. I've also yet to see anything from next gen that excites me. Let's hope Microsoft shows something that peaks my interest soon, hopefully Fable 4. I guess we'll see.

Fbh

I liked both gens.
Overall the problem with PS4/Xb1 is that as dev costs and time continue to increase, big studios have slowed down their output significantly and tend to go for the "safer projects". Be it by focusing on sequels or by making derivative and bland games that try to appeal to everyone. Not only has the frequency of releases of major studios taken a massive nosedive this gen, but the amount of big new IP's introduces this gen can't even compete with what we got last gen.

Just to make a currently relevant example. Naughty Dog released 2 new IP's and 4 full games last gen, this one they've focused exclusively on sequels and only released 2 full games and 1 smaller scale one.

With that said I still think there are great games. I like some of my favorite games from this gen like The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne more than anything released on Ps3/X360

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
The thing is that most of you folks are focusing on consoles. From a PC only gamer perspective, this generation was better than the last one. The PC was the platform that grew the most this generation, just have a sneak peek into Steam top sellers and you will see how large and diverse the catalog is. We now have Japanese games, MS games, and even PS games. The first half of last gen until say 2010 was ROUGH for PC only gamers, those were the darkest days of the platform, unoptimized games left and right, big franchises missing, little to no japanese games...

But if I were a console only gamer I would say that last gen was better than this one. Many of the AAA big hitters from last gen are absent or released mediocre sequels. And we didn't have many AAA newcomers to fill that gap. And indies can't compare with AAA 3D games… Metroidvanias can be fun but you don't buy a next gen console to play that.

I think, next gen will be even worse on that regard: We will have 3 or 4 AAA single player games a year and the rest will be filled with Indie crap or MP oriented GaaS.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

Tough one.

I think the 360/PS3 had more quality games but the PS4/xboxone had better games overall albeit fewer of them.

radewagon

I don't. I just think that nostalgia enhances everything.

Especially if someone was like 10-15 years old during the PS3 generation. If someone was 10-15 during the PS2 generation, that one probably seems like the best.

Same with any generation. And when enough time goes by, even a generation that didn't feel so great at the time starts looking rosey.

So while the PS3/360 gen had a bunch of fuzzy, barely 720p, brown and green filtered ugliness, we look back on it fondly.

Couldn't agree more. As someone who still has many classic consoles hooked up and plays them, this generation is easily the best so far. Older generation games are still good, but going back to them, it's clear that gaming is evolving. Refinements in game design make it difficult to go back to older generations but these refinements are not something we consider when just remembering the good ol' days. They only become apparent when playing them again. The PS2 era in particular has a lot of "jank" that is difficult to go back to. Simple things like camera control could make or break an experience. Also, fun fact, Devil May Cry for the PS2 has a horrible control scheme. I will never play the PS2 original ever again thanks to the basic but totally playable remasters.

The PS360 era is fairly new and still pretty great. The biggest issue I have playing them is mostly just down to visuals. I feel like most games have either too much or not enough anti-aliasing. The games range from having terrible aliasing EVERYWHERE to being so blurry you'd swear you need to visit your optomotrist. Seriously, load up Infamous on a PS3. The game looks gross with jagged edges littering the screen. Second fun fact. The oft-mocked mClassic is actually really good for this generation of games to be played on modern TV's.

Ten_Fold

Yeah this gen I haven’t brought much, only brought Sf5,MVCI, bloodborne, ff15 and ff7R on ps4, Last gen I think I own about 30 or 40 360 games and about 20 ps3 games. I didn’t like many games this gen, not sure why just felt meh, I think I mainly own and play switch games.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I prefer Japanese games so this gen.

Last gen for Japanese games sucked pretty bad tbh.

wvnative

This thread makes sense now I didn't really care for any of these games.

Resident Evil(better)
Final Fantasy(better)
Devil May Cry(better)
Zelda(better)
Mario(better)
Monster Hunter(better)
The indie games are better
The games output of my favourite studios are better
The new Ips are better.

I forgot to mention this, but if you grew up on Japanese focused games, then that might radically affect your view of the generation. Japanese devs really lost their luster and we really didn't get anything like the previous gens except maybe lost odyssey.

If you grew up with western games, these games indeed were getting better for the most part except for games feeling less feature filled.

teezzy

Banned
My top 3 consoles ever are Xbox 360, PS2, and SNES. Most games from every generation kinda blow ass in retrospect though. It's too easy to forget that.

Just play PC instead, and leave the marketing mirage of generations behind entirely. You'd be better off.

Guilty_AI

I think your criticism towards indie games isn't justified. While its true that from the whole pot only a very small percentage of them can actually be considered great, this small percentage still refers to a huge amount. I'd say those indie games are the new AA market in terms of innovation and quality of content.

Stuart360

This is a tricky one for me as i think overall, this gen has been one of the worst, and yes last gen was way better imo. BUT we also had the return and rise of AA games this gen, which were surely missed last gen. Indie games are rasing in quality considerably compared to the tosh Indies last gen. The rise of open world games this gen, which i love. And there has been a handful of games this gen that would easily make my Top 20 of all time list, some making my Top 10.
Overall though, its been a poor gen imo.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
PS3 9/15
DEMON´s SOULS
Motorstorm

Ridge Racer 7
Afrika
Tokyo Jungle
Yakuza 3 to 5
TLOU

U2+U3
M.A.G
GT5

GT6
PS2, PS1 BC

PS4 11/14

GT Sport
TLOU2
U4
TLG

TO1886
DriveClub
Jugdement
Dreams

U:LL
ICO2 RE
Bloodborne
Spiderman
God Of War
PSVR

But both will never reach PS2 levels, no Onimusha, no Genji, no RR, no BO, no Tokyo Xtreme Zero (#FACKUGENKI!).

Metacritic Score
PS1 95%
PS2 100%
PS3 80%
PS4 90%
PS5 110%
🍻

Going to predict da future
SOLD PS5 after 5 years 95 million
SOLD PS5 after 7 years 125 million
SOLD PS5 SOFTWARE RATIO 15:1
SOLD PS5 Software over 1.5bill.
SOLD PSVR2 15mill. units
PS+ doubles to 80mill.
PSNow part of a higher tier of PS+
online free, no add. perks though like discounts, storage, no support etc.
0dcsjMw.gif

Bogey

Banned
Games I've played in the last year: WoW classic, Stronghold 1, AoE 2.

So yea, probably fair to say: PC before 2013 for me personally. I actually struggle hard to find interesting modern games :(

kunonabi

The Switch and the WiiU are both 8th gen. Nintendo does not control when generations start, and this is not the first generation where a platform holder has released two systems. The Atari 2600 and 5200 are both 2nd gen systems for instance.

I also strongly disagree on the comparative quality of WiiU games. I mean let's be fair, given that the WiiU sold less than the Vita and the Switch is the fastest selling console in US history, it's safe to say your opinion does not match reality.

Infact with the exception of Mario Kart most everything has either been outdone by their Switch sequels or been a comparatively minor blip sales wise when ported over. Breath of rhe Wild is about the best game that was on both, and may as well have not released on WiiU.

Meanwhile Mario Oddysey, Ringfit Adventure, Arms, Splatoon 2, Links Awakening, Smash, Mario Maker 2, the Pokemon games, Fire Emblem 3 kingdoms and Animal Crossing have all been amazing well received critically and commercially, pretty much all blowing past WiiU's best.

The Switch has better games, better hardware, and a better gimmick, and sold amazingly well because people love it.

The WiiU sold like shit, because it was shit.

Switch is their sucessor platform going forward meant to compete with the PS5 and series X. There is 0 reason to lump it with the current gen other than irrational hate towards the Wii U and insecurity at how badly Nintendo performed this gen financially.

Most Switch games have been painfully lazy and/or bloated affairs regardless of "critical" and commercial response.

Wii U had its issues too especially in terms of warmed over 3DS concepts but I'll still take those over what were getting from them now.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I agree with Op. Many of today's games are littered with Micro Transactions that take away from the experience. It did start last generation but it is getting extreme now. Take a game the NBA2k series. Most players have to buy VC to be competitive.

Look at Fortnite and Call of Duty: They sell Costumes for around $10 each.

Just a few examples.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I don't like this "mature" state at all, since that basically imply, that developers/publishers know what sells and that is terrible state in gaming. I mean the way you are talking it seems to me that you like more how it was then how it is, but it's maybe my impression.
I like how the industry knows how to develop games now. I don't like how the games are directed thou

The same thing said back in ps2 era , it's just nonsense for most part and you shouldn't bother about it cause within those peoples who make legitimate criticisms many of them are actually just being negative for the sake of being negative and like to feed the negativity instead of talking about the positive things that doesn't actually bothering them.

M1chl

The same thing said back in ps2 era , it's just nonsense for most part and you shouldn't bother about it cause within those peoples who make legitimate criticisms many of them are actually just being negative for the sake of being negative and like to feed the negativity instead of talking about the positive things that doesn't actually bothering them.
No I am not being negative, just so I could be negative, it's because I kind of feel that way, so why not make a thread about that : )

I've been playing for a while and I can tell that there are many positive things actually on this gen that wasn't there before ,
1- Games availability
2-cross play
3-community feedbacks
4-services that actually convenient for the consumers for the first time which means there are no caveat behind it.

No I am not being negative, just so I could be negative, it's because I kind of feel that way, so why not make a thread about that : )
Didn't meant to talk about you personally, I actually haven't read any comments , but the common posture of this topic has always been negative , am I wrong ?

So I was just thinking, even though I wrote in here many times. As much as the HW improved, quality of games dips pretty hard. In past era of consoles, there were many linear memorable games, which are simply lacking. Due to Control DLC finally on Xbox, I am enjoying my time with the game and I guess I am kind of sad, that this type of games are pretty niche more and more.

Every games has to be stupid open-world with very little substance and a lot of filler. I am missing so much from past gen, like The Darkness 1, Condemned (both), Mass Effect Trilogy, Max Payne III, MGR: Revengeance, Alpha Protocol, RE5, Killer is Dead, Splinter Cell and fucking much more, but this is not the list wars.

Let's just say that I spent this year most of my time in BC mode and maybe I am crunching 'member berries, but I have feel that this game is either indie showelware (let's be real most of the time, indie games are not even worth download) or some big AAA. Most often stupid open-world.

And my fear is simply that this trend is going to continue. I am not saying that this gen have not brought amazing games, it does, but it's still somewhat overshowed (for me) by tons of games I am not even interested in.

AA games are dead, indie games does not present quality like in Summer of Arcade ('member?), maybe besides INSIDE, Observation, everything was kind of meh. Outlast tried and failed hard, stupid chase game....

I guess only games which stand out for me was (and that's due to many personal reasons) Forza Horizon 2-4, those two mentioned games, Control, Doom (both of them), Evil Withing, Wiezdmin 3 and I don't know. And it's not like I am depressed, times are far better then it was before and since I have limited time, I rather really enjoy playing games. But you know, it's not that escapism which I had before.

Anyway, does anyone has this feel™?
I've Just read your comment, All the games you mentioned are actually my type of games, I beated around 50 games this gen , just keep looking and sub to services like gamepass and ps now , you never know when you find what you looking for , most games doesn't actually take more than 5 minutes to judge it from its gameplay , there are some actually that takes a little more like mgsv , the Witcher 3 ... etc , but it's not a big deal cause all these games are known for most gamers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom