• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone have the feeling that games in PS3/X360 era was simply better?

Which generation you enjoyed more so far?

• Total voters

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Brown textures and chest high walls.

I feel the generations before and after were both better.

Lets just say I wasn't a fan of the grey/brown aesthetics during the PS3 era.

Yes, that's something that's really noticeable about those PS360 games. Those monochromatic colors (brown, grays, etc) make quite a number of (mostly western) games look very dull and unappealing.

II_JumPeR_I

I miss the 360 Era and its Xbox Live Community.
Nowadays everything has to be super duper competitive esport ready with hidden skill based search Systems. Im tired of that shit. And more etc

II_JumPeR_I

S
Nearly every franchise that was big last gen is either worse this gen or MIA

Halo (worse)
CoD (worse)
Gears (worse)
Fallout (worse)
Elder Scrolls (MIA) (Mainline entries)
Mass Effect (worse)
GTA (MIA)
Battlefield (worse)
Assassins Creed (worse)
Splinter Cell (MIA)
Bioshock (MIA)
Crysis (MIA)
Uncharted (worse)

This was the gen that almost made me quit gaming.
So true and it hurts to read. I could rant even further about the output of all the current publishers. Everything got worse

While I love the PS360 gen for the variety and experimental games in the AAA space like Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, Demons and Dark Souls, and Batman Arkham Asylum, I must say I really enjoyed this current gen more.

Looking at the games I've beaten, I really doubled down on the genres and series that I love. It may not have been as varied but had even more fun this gen.
  1. Bloodborne
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. Assassin's Creed Odyssey
  4. Dark Souls Remastered
  5. God of War
  6. Assassin's Creed Origins
  7. Assassin's Creed Syndicate
  8. Assassin's Creed Unity
  9. Marvel's Spiderman
  10. Devil May Cry 5
  11. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  12. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
  13. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  14. Gears 5
  15. Shadow of the Colossus Remake

I'd add FFVIIR to the list, but I'm not done yet (Ch 11).

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
While I love the PS360 gen for the variety and experimental games in the AAA space like Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, Demons and Dark Souls, and Batman Arkham Asylum, I must say I really enjoyed this current gen more.

Looking at the games I've beaten, I really doubled down on the genres and series that I love. It may not have been as varied but had even more fun this gen.
  1. Bloodborne
  2. Dark Souls III
  3. Assassin's Creed Odyssey
  4. Dark Souls Remastered
  5. God of War
  6. Assassin's Creed Origins
  7. Assassin's Creed Syndicate
  8. Assassin's Creed Unity
  9. Marvel's Spiderman
  10. Devil May Cry 5
  11. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
  12. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
  13. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  14. Gears 5
  15. Shadow of the Colossus Remake

I'd add FFVIIR to the list, but I'm not done yet (Ch 11).
Fair enough, that's pretty diverse games I had to say, but not sure about that Gears 5. That franchise drop hard after Bleszinski left. How about RE 2 Remake, have you play it? I find it really good. Also this list does not contain Control which makes me sad...

Button

Banned
Tough question. Maybe it's recency bias, but I feel like I've enjoyed this gen more. What I especially love about current games is the almost perfect IQ. Revisiting PS3 games now, the only thing I notice is the ridiculous aliasing and low resolution. Gameplay-wise I think there's not much difference.

M1chl

Tough question. Maybe it's recency bias, but I feel like I've enjoyed this gen more. What I especially love about current games is the almost perfect IQ. Revisiting PS3 games now, the only thing I notice is the ridiculous aliasing and low resolution. Gameplay-wise I think there's not much difference.
I mean we should leave that Graphic comparison outside of this discussion and talk about games how they were enjoyable. Anyway some BC titles are runing in 4k on X1X and I have to say, that many of them afterwards look current gen. Some low res shit like Splinter Cell: Conviction on X360 and then on X1X in 4K, it's a MASSIVE difference. Also we have not received such game this game, which sucks.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

jakinov

The era only seems better because the standards were lower back then. Everyone copys gets inspired by and borrows from each other nowadays that the bar is always being raised. A lot of games borrow from games like Gears, COD, Assassins Creed, Bioshock, GTA. If most games from the era were released today they probably wouldn't sell well and get poorly reviewed.

Also, the PlayStation 3 was a dark time that I don't want to relive. 20-40 minute 5GB mandatory installs on your 15-40GB usable harddrive space, performance issues on multi-platform games, shitty online features, poor dev support of platform features, upto 40 minute trophy syncing, slow downloads speed of digital content in conjunction with slow manual installs of it, unskippable pre-rendered cutscenes so that they can mask loading, off USB ports in standby mode, horrible in-game interface and shitty support for anyone who isn't first player, The whole generation for me was wishing I could play the exclusives on my 360 or PC instead. I didn't have RROD issues so the 360 was fine but if you circle back to my main point, I think games are better nowadays from copying each other.

This generation has many great games but PS360 era was something else. Many new IPs, AA games, no boring open world, no battle royal, no walking simulators, no progressive culture bullshit.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Console wise that gen was only good cos of the Wii, without it it's the worst ever.

Really arbitrary way to divide PC into pre and post 2013 plus PC always wins too.

Last edited:

Alexios

The only real games on the switch i think anyone liked were the nintendo mainstays and aside from moms who think being more active is good most people hated the motion control gimmick.
Dunno, I'm talking about the Wii, it had plenty great games only ignorant nooblets and manababies that pretend to be men can't recognize. PC + Wii was certainly the best combo at the time, even if you missed the odd exclusive like Demon's Souls, you'd miss way more cool shit without Wii.

That gen is a browngrey wasteland without Monster Hunter Tri, Super Mario Galaxies, Red Steel 2, Metroid Prime 3, Wii Sports Resort, Xenoblade Chronicles, Sin & Punishment, Lost Winds, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, No More Heroes, Trauma Center/Team, SEGA's lightgun ports, Muramasa, etc.

Plus, the whole GC library no questions asked and also the best versions of classics like Resident Evil 4 and Pikmin as a good bonus. The funny thing is the browngrey FPS that got ported like MW & WAW played best on Wii too (outside PC), even if they looked like ass compared to N's stuff.

Last edited:

Valkyria

Banned
If you are 20 years old I guess. Let me tell you a story of your future. In 10 years you will read a post saying the gen about to start was the verse generation ever.

M1chl

If you are 20 years old I guess. Let me tell you a story of your future. In 10 years you will read a post saying the gen about to start was the verse generation ever.
I am 31, as I've said I started with vidya consoles in 2007 by buying X360 for Mirror's Edge, which is incredibly high bar for other games. I was so fucking amazed.

Dunno, I'm talking about the Wii, it had plenty great games only ignorant nooblets and manababies that pretend to be men can't recognize. PC + Wii was certainly the best combo at the time, even if you missed the odd exclusive like Demon's Souls, you'd miss way more cool shit without Wii.

That gen is a browngrey wasteland without Monster Hunter Tri, Super Mario Galaxies, Red Steel 2, Metroid Prime 3, Wii Sports Resort, Xenoblade Chronicles, Sin & Punishment, Lost Winds, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, No More Heroes, Trauma Center/Team, SEGA's lightgun ports, Muramasa, etc.

Plus, the whole GC library no questions asked and also the best versions of classics like Resident Evil 4 and Pikmin as a good bonus. The funny thing is the browngrey FPS that got ported like MW & WAW played best on Wii too (outside PC), even if they looked like ass compared to N's stuff.
It always makes me feel like I own a spiritual successor console to the ps2 cause both of them share many similarities from each other.

SpiceRacz

I chose the current gen because the Triple-A titles have overall been better. However, I think where the current gen falls short is the lack of AA/mid-tier games. That space has sort of been filled by indie titles, but it's not quite the same.

M1chl

I chose the current gen because the Triple-A titles have overall been better. However, I think where the current gen falls short is the lack of AA/mid-tier games. That space has sort of been filled by indie titles, but it's not quite the same.
Exactly my issue.

I am 31, as I've said I started with vidya consoles in 2007 by buying X360 for Mirror's Edge, which is incredibly high bar for other games. I was so fucking amazed.
I'm at your age but started playing seriously at age 7 back in 1997 ,
Started with nes>pc>ps2>360>ps3>pc>ps4>wiiu>xbox one.

M1chl

I'm at your age but started playing seriously at age 7 back in 1997 ,
Started with nes>pc>ps2>360>ps3>pc>ps4>wiiu>xbox one.
Well you have more experience with game consoles, I am meanwhile alcohol connoisseur, not anymore, but yeah. Slav-life gets hard.

M1chl

Believe me , as you get old , nostalgia will hit a new high even higher than kristal clear meth.
Well not sure, why would I play BC games and enjoyed them more than most of the current gen titles, it's not nostalgia...

Well not sure, why would I play BC games and enjoyed them more than most of the current gen titles, it's not nostalgia...
I get what you mean and it's still fun firing gta sa on the ps2 , I just like them for what they are and it's the same thing for other great games.

M1chl

I get what you mean and it's still fun firing gta sa on the ps2 , I just like them for what they are and it's the same thing for other great games.
I for example playing games, which I never played during the 360/PS3 era, you know, but they are fun. Like Killer is Dead, it's super fun game.

M1chl

To those people who wrote about how gaming has evolved in current gen?

Thruth to be told, I am not sure that in this day and age there could be another GTA, because since America rules the world when it comes to this shit, cops being mean, when you do stupid shit would be probably triggering aggression and that kind of stuff. It's imposible now. From PR perspective.

Inanilmaz

The ps3/ 360 era was damn good👍 some games that i liked

Grand Theft Auto 4&5
Katamari Forever
Dead Rising 2
Yakuza 3 4 5
Little Big Planet
Resident Evil 5
Mafia 2
Sleeping Dogs
Max Payne 3
Red Dead Redemption
Vanquish
Bayonetta
Afro Samurai
Killer is Dead
Mini Ninja's
One Piece: Pirate Warriors
Ratchet & Clank
Left 4 Dead 2
Portal
Uncharted 2
Fight Night
The Darkness 2
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Call of Duty: MW2
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Killzone 2
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm
Street Fighter
Def Jam Icon
Ridge Racer 7
Burnout Paradise
EDF
Fat Princess
Hotline Miami
The Last Guy

Last edited:

M1chl

The ps3/ 360 era was damn good👍 some games that i liked

Grand Theft Auto 4&5
Katamari Forever
Dead Rising 2
Yakuza 3 4 5
Little Big Planet
Resident Evil 5
Mafia 2
Sleeping Dogs
Max Payne 3
Red Dead Redemption
Vanquish
Bayonetta
Afro Samurai
Killer is Dead
Mini Ninja's
One Piece: Pirate Warriors
Ratchet & Clank
Left 4 Dead 2
Portal
Uncharted 2
Fight Night
The Darkness 2
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Call of Duty: MW2
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Killzone 2
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm
Street Fighter
Def Jam Icon
Ridge Racer 7
Burnout Paradise
EDF
Fat Princess
Hotline Miami
The Last Guy
i think for sake of my argument it would be enough to mention Bad Company 2 which destroy pretty much any other MP shooter. Sadly the old group for SP portion probably never going back. S A D.

Isa

As much as I enjoyed the PS360 era, and I did, I much prefer the ease of use in the current gen. And I really look forward to what might be in the next. I grew very tired of the grey/browns in those older games, and one of the big attractions for me are colorful titles like Ratchet and Uncharted. But I feel western devs and publishers have really fallen hard. Not saying that Japanese developers or pubs haven't been acting poorly but I find myself drawn to their games much more now. They often still capture that element of fantasy and escapism regardless of genre, and thanks to often not caring about pc culture they also tend to be far more fun and surprising.

I spent a ton of money and time on last gen but this one tops it easily. I love having much better Jrpgs available and plenty of visual novels that I'd have never thought being brought over. Plus the ease of importing is great too. I love the visual fidelity and ability to see what my friends the world over are up to. I am disappointed in western devs though, they seem to lack ambition like they used to, which I know is a byproduct of the rising cost of development but all these "safe" cookie-cutter games are so sterile and filled with filler and mtx that it almost drove me away from my favorite hobby. Going forward I feel better knowing what games and companies I'll be supporting which in turn will save me quite a bit of money and grant some time to work through my massive backlog.

Kumomeme

Nearly every franchise that was big last gen is either worse this gen or MIA

Halo (worse)
CoD (worse)
Gears (worse)
Fallout (worse)
Elder Scrolls (MIA) (Mainline entries)
Mass Effect (worse)
GTA (MIA)
Battlefield (worse)
Assassins Creed (worse)
Splinter Cell (MIA)
Bioshock (MIA)
Crysis (MIA)
Uncharted (worse)

This was the gen that almost made me quit gaming.
agree..ps360 gen most of this franchise release is a huge impact to videogame scene..but current gen, some of it declining, or not even 'exist'

nush

Gold Member
What the fuck was good about Wii?
91yhMLxD97L._SL1500_.jpg

Alexios

S
Sad they changed the opening animation though (left is the original), but at least we got the game, mostly further improved (re-released in Japan for cross region online) and it's awesome in every other aspect!

Last edited:

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
I don't know. But I think the online console wars were more entertaining than some of the games back then. Youtube was the shits with them. Blackbuster and his bro, General MLD, spax, Chad walden, etc

Ok...Ok to actually answer your question It was kinda rough if you were a JRPG fan or a fan of Japanese gaming in general. Hell, most of the games I played were western. GTA 4 and 5, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Infamous, yeah. I don't think they were better but it's hard to feel nostalgic for them compared to the PS2 days.

njean777

The ps3/360 Era was fun. I mained the ps3 and man I miss the COD lobbies, and the battlefield lobbies full of just unspeakable insults.

M1chl

The ps3/360 Era was fun. I mained the ps3 and man I miss the COD lobbies, and the battlefield lobbies full of just unspeakable insults.
This is something which I am missing too, people stopped talking and party chat starts to get thing. BC2 was so much fun with trash talking.

I do like them more but man ! Nothing beats old 90s pc games , even after 100 years I'll still talk about the 90s , and even the year after that the ps2 came out and blows everything out of the water.

Onironauta

As someone who loved both Wii and PS3, i strongly disagree.
PS3 had a huge library of gems beside the usual browngrey AAA titles.
Games like Journey, Unfinished Swan, Ratchet&Clank, Folklore, Portal, Prince of Persia, Asura's Wrath, Nier, Persona 5, Wipeout HD, Rain, Puppeteer, Steins;Gate...and many more.

M1chl

As someone who loved both Wii and PS3, i strongly disagree.
PS3 had a huge library of gems beside the usual browngrey AAA titles.
Games like Journey, Unfinished Swan, Ratchet&Clank, Folklore, Portal, Prince of Persia, Asura's Wrath, Nier, Persona 5, Wipeout HD, Rain, Puppeteer, Steins;Gate...and many more.
Yeah well exactly, that brown/grey color pallet was at the begining of the gen even Gears of War 3 was pretty colorful, because i think that the palet came from inspiration with Gears 1, because it was a hit.

I mean, like was Uncharted 2 brown? No it was not, co that argument is invalid.

Not really, no, i didn't like the previous generation because a majority of the video games on those two home consoles suffered from severe performance issues. The PC ports were fine, but the console versions were rough. I liked the Wii though. I don't really dwell too much on what generation was the best or the worst because i'm mainly on PC as a platform of choice. And as a PC gamer, i can honestly say that the past 6 years have been almost the best period to be a PC gamer.

Now i've dabbled with home consoles since roughly 2007.. If i have to put some thought into it, i think my favorite is the 6th Generation, mainly the Playstation 2. The amount of quality exclusives on that thing is mind boggling and access to originally experience it is cheaper than dirt - i can find a slim for like 25 - 30 bucks and can hook it up to my old CRT. IQ is fine on CRT and performance on most of the video games on the system is fine. It would be a shame to miss out.

Can't say the same about the Playstation 3 and the Xbox 360. Maybe it's because japanese developers took a hit and the developers in the west didn't mind a significant performance loss to push the graphical capabilities of the machines, but performance is a serious issue on most games and they don't look good on a HDTV. There's also a far smaller number of exclusives on these machines. I don't plan on ever experiencing them. The Wii was fine. It was almost like an extension of the Playstation 2. There's a huge number of good video games on that thing, allthough they're drowned in a seemingly endless sea of shovelware.

I'm completely indifferent towards the current generation, and will probably be the same for the next console generation by the looks of things. There's almost nothing exclusive (which is remarkable) that interests me on these machines except Persona 5 Royal Edition and Bloodborne. There's literally nothing on the Xbox machine now that Halo's on PC. The Switch is just .. there. There's a handful of video games i'd get for it, but i'll wait for a Pro version.

Not really, no, i didn't like the previous generation because a majority of the video games on those two home consoles suffered from severe performance issues. The PC ports were fine, but the console versions were rough. I liked the Wii though. I don't really dwell too much on what generation was the best or the worst because i'm mainly on PC as a platform of choice. And as a PC gamer, i can honestly say that the past 6 years have been almost the best period to be a PC gamer.

Now i've dabbled with home consoles since roughly 2007.. If i have to put some thought into it, i think my favorite is the 6th Generation, mainly the Playstation 2. The amount of quality exclusives on that thing is mind boggling and access to originally experience it is cheaper than dirt - i can find a slim for like 25 - 30 bucks and can hook it up to my old CRT. IQ is fine on CRT and performance on most of the video games on the system is fine. It would be a shame to miss out.

Can't say the same about the Playstation 3 and the Xbox 360. Maybe it's because japanese developers took a hit and the developers in the west didn't mind a significant performance loss to push the graphical capabilities of the machines, but performance is a serious issue on most games and they don't look good on a HDTV. There's also a far smaller number of exclusives on these machines. I don't plan on ever experiencing them. The Wii was fine. It was almost like an extension of the Playstation 2. There's a huge number of good video games on that thing, allthough they're drowned in a seemingly endless sea of shovelware.

I'm completely indifferent towards the current generation, and will probably be the same for the next console generation by the looks of things. There's almost nothing exclusive (which is remarkable) that interests me on these machines except Persona 5 Royal Edition and Bloodborne. There's literally nothing on the Xbox machine now that Halo's on PC. The Switch is just .. there. There's a handful of video games i'd get for it, but i'll wait for a Pro version.
PC hasn't changed, that's the beauty of it , consoles have been playing catch-up with performance lately and it seems we can't getaway with this issue of sacrificing something for the other in order to achieve what they want, hope I'm wrong with next gen .

Top Bottom