• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Astro's Playroom teasing full generational Backwards Compatibility on PS5?

Tulipanzo

In Astro's Playroom you "explore four worlds, each based on PS5’s console components".
What is weird, as can be seen from the trailer, is that all previous PlayStation home consoles make an appearance.

These consoles do not show up in previous Astrobot games, and it's quite curious for them all to be here.
Astro could be exploring a world based on Playstation Backwards Compatibility, with Sony teasing this during their event, like they did the home-screen and start-up sound.
BC to this degree would be really difficult to achieve obviously, but if Sony did this seems like a really cool way to tease something.

Below some pics from the trailer, which you can watch here:

EaTUx-7XsAAXsWQ

A bot playing on a DualShock 1.

EaTU_M5XQAA9LnJ

A PS2 popping out of the ground, with the PS2 Home Screen and clock in the background.

EaTU1B4XYAAsQJ6

Bots dancing on top of a PS3 Super Slim, with a PS3 Fat mural and some XMB symbols in the background.

EaXLci5XYAEuvsb

Astro jumping on top of PS1 black discs.

EaXLdRWX0AkVLLi

Astro crossing a DualShock 1 controller cable

Last edited:

SilentUser

Hopefully. Would be a nice bonus (and should be standard), specially considering how powerful the console is. PS3, perhaps, would be the biggest problem but it is still clearly achievable, I just don't think Sony cares about it sadly.

Fushitsusha

Banned
The all digital sku has killed my hope for backward compatibility.
Doesn't have to be so. Then again, surely Sony would prefer selling the digital version as to force people to buy more directly from Playstation Network, so putting a BC-comp on only the disc edition is not likely such as similarly to what the PS3 did.

Last edited:

Tulipanzo

Seems more like a simple celebration of PS history. Why would they not announce this? Unless maybe it won’t be ready at launch.
Well, to be fair they haven't shown any PS5 feature in action, not even PS4 BC, only games and the box itself.

If they'd actually achieved full BC, it'd definitely warrant its own event.

the_master

There are simpler reasons to have this references in the game, backwards compatibility is the least feasible I think. Would be great, but I don't think so

Tulipanzo

There are simpler reasons to have this references in the game, backwards compatibility is the least feasible I think. Would be great, but I don't think so
Well, you "go inside" your PS5 in the game, and you find a PS1, a PS2, and a PS3.
It's not a huge stretch

the_master

I wish that was true, and there was the full catalog of PS1, PS2 & maybe even PS3 and not just to get a few ports. But I am expecting the later.

Tulipanzo

They announced that it was backwards compatible with "most" PS4 games.

PS1-PS3 full backwards compatibility isn't happening. Move on.
"The overwhelming majority" of PS4 games.

Given the advances in tech, and the success MS has had here, it's far from unreasonable to suppose "some" PS1-3 BC is coming.
This could be a tease, to go with the one in the opening, same as the home screen and boot up sound.

NahaNago

They announced that it was backwards compatible with "most" PS4 games.

PS1-PS3 full backwards compatibility isn't happening. Move on.

My statement still stands that they have barely announced anything surrounding the features of the PS5. Now I personally don't think more bc is going to happen but until they have the conference that explains the features and the U.I. for the PS5 it is still a possibility that more generations of bc is possible.

Mr Moose

Lastly, we’re excited to confirm that the backwards compatibility features are working well. We recently took a look at the top 100 PS4 titles as ranked by play time, and we’re expecting almost all of them to be playable at launch on PS5. With more than 4000 games published on PS4, we will continue the testing process and expand backwards compatibility coverage over time.
100-ish at launch, hopefully more.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Who knows? I brought this up in the PS5 announcement thread because I thought the PS2 menu screen was too on the nose to just throw in there for no reason.

Top Bottom