• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

is Atlus the RPG king now?

i am playing digital devil saga and it is clearly the best RPG of this generation. i think the battle system is fresh, the story is bar none the best around and the entire package is very polished.

do people consider atlus the top RPG-maker on the console scene today? you have DDS, nocture, disgaea, etc etc. seems to me that even though i haven't play a lot of their RPG's, most of their RPG's are held in high regards. so, are they?

demi

They are the obscurity prince. Not the RPG king.

They are up there, however. IN PRICE, THAT IS HA HA HA

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Intelligent Systems, for me. Though, Atlus has been seriously kicking ass recently.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
If Atlus is gonna be crowned the new RPG king after, what, 3 "cool because of obscurity" RPGs, then I move to say that Nintendo (or whoever dev'd Donkey Konga) knocks Konami out of the music top spot.

Obviously this is still Square-Enix territory. FFX, Kingdom Hearts and all its sequels, the most popular MMORPG this gen in FFXI, FFXII coming later this year, and all the FFVII:AC stuff? Not to be a dick here, but in terms of sales alone, FFX, I believe, has sold more than all the Atlus games you've mentioned.

Don't get me wrong. Atlus rocks and I love Nocturne and wanna play DDS and DDS2 soon, but fo' reelz... lets not jump to conclusions here.

Alex

There is no "Square-Enix", only "Enix-Oh yeah and that company Yasumi Matsuno works for that's currently leeching off of Enix".

Dalamar86

They are definately king in the area of regularly publishing good rpgs in the US now. They really are providing me with a very steady stream of entertaining games. Can't complain at all. They are definately doing a great job as a publisher. Their localizations arent half bad either, though we have a couple of bad eggs.

They're definetly the kings right now imo. With Persona and Princess Crown coming to the PSP and a SMT coming to the DS. They're getting better and better.

Danj

The Experiment said:
I demand Atlus bring over Puyo Puyo Fever to the PSP

I thought it was already getting brought over? I see Atlus brought over the DS version, which from what I hear is actually better than the PSP version... Gamestop's website lists the PSP version as coming out from Sega of America on the 1st November.

amodf

I believe this true! Atlus has brought out the Shin MegaTen games and other stuff... but they win on Shin MegaTen coming to the US alone! When you compare it to the other RPGs brought to the US lately (uh... outside of dominator Shadow Hearts 2, what else has come out since Disgaea?), they've been owning the US RPG market with only competition from Nintendo, of all people.

I mean, when was Nintendo ever known for bringing out RPGs? The late 80s? But yeah. Atlus is doing everything right (they even shoveled GoC to their NIS America subsidary, smart move!) and bringing out good games that would have been simply forgotten. Square's bringing out Radiata Stories eventually, and Suikoden IV was awful, so I'd have to say Atlus has been wrecking house lately!

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Well, their certainly up there. Their better than Squenix. DDS is great, it's better than Nocturne. And Disgaea is probably the best SRPG out (though I like Fire Emblem a great deal). The Shadow Hearts series is probably my favorite JRPG this gen, though.

Tiktaalik

Absolutely. I haven't enjoyed any Square games this gen. It used to be that all Square games would be instant buys for me, but now I'll always rent them or ignore them completely. That's a pretty big drop. I've enjoyed DDS and Nocturne emmensly, and Nippon Ichi's material is great too.

Not even close. I'm an RPG nut and I just can't get into Nocturne. Ive had it since day one and I'm about 12 hours in. It never holds my attention for more than a few hours at a time. SRPGs aren't really my thing either.

Squenix has pretty much sucked this generation as well, but luckily the Shadow Hearts and Tales of series are there to save the day.

Danj said:
I thought it was already getting brought over? I see Atlus brought over the DS version, which from what I hear is actually better than the PSP version... Gamestop's website lists the PSP version as coming out from Sega of America on the 1st November.

Excellent. I was almost going to get the GC version but I'll wait for this one.

whytemyke said:
If Atlus is gonna be crowned the new RPG king after, what, 3 "cool because of obscurity" RPGs, then I move to say that Nintendo (or whoever dev'd Donkey Konga) knocks Konami out of the music top spot.

It's not like Atlus came out of nowhere. They were on quite a few peoples radars last gen too, but Square was on the ball them and was just shelling out quality RPG after RPG. They've slowed down this gen and Atlus is still going full steam ahead.

Atlus is definetly the RPG publisher this generaion! I really enjoyed playing SMT: Nocturne, Disgaea, Phantom Brave, StellaDeus, and to some extent, La Pucelle.

edit: OOps..La Pucelle was published by Mastiff not Atlus.

ronito

Ruas said:
i dont think so.i think square enix is.

newpost.jpg

Unless they hit DQ8 out of the park.

DRAGON QUEST 8

Bolded for great justice!

DRAGON QUEST 8!!

*pant* *pant* if it is anything like Dragon Qeu..Warrior 7 with better graphics, sign me up. Sign me up if it has worse graphics. These are amongst the Precious, the turn-based RPGs that AREN'T strategy RPGs... so I shall tread with delicate care to get another one.

It is becoming the rarest of the rare, the turn-based RPGs that aren't strategy monoliths like Disgaea. I... want.. Dragon.. Warrior... 4... reinvented... in..the..modern.graphical...idiom..for..the..US....

but! until then, dragon warrior 8 will hopefully fit the bill. For god's sakes let's hope they don't cave in to the twitch kiddies and that they manage to keep it true turn based and single player.

Viva la Dragon Warrior!

Alex

Dragon Warrior IV Remake's US cancelation killed me a little inside, that ad on the back of the DWVII manual makes me weep to this day.

Ironclad

Amir0x said:
I'm shocked by this revelation.
Good ol' Prine. He's not that hard to predict is he? :lol

Atlus has definetly risen in my eyes this generation. I thoroughly enjoyed DDS and Nocturne as well as Disgaea and Stella Deus. I'm looking forward to Riviera and DDS 2 as it stands. Personally, I would put Atlus above SE this gen. because I didn't really care for Kingdom Hearts or FF X(-2). Although I am looking forward to DQ 8, I don't think it can single-handedly propel SE over Atlus this gen.

Sea-Dragon said:
DRAGON QUEST 8!!

*pant* *pant* if it is anything like Dragon Qeu..Warrior 7 with better graphics, sign me up. Sign me up if it has worse graphics.

You haven't seen the game yet?

Himuro said:
Can someone give some info on Persona psp?

Nothing has relaly come out on it. It was announced with Princess Crown (also on the PSP) and Shin Megami Tensei (DS). I'm thinking Persona could possibly be a series compilation of Persona which would include Persona, Persona 2 Innocent Sin and Persona 2 Eternal Punishment. Finally getting IS in the US would rock.

I can't wait to see what PC turns out to be, whether its a port or a completely new game

princesscrown4.jpg

princesscrown12.jpg

princesscrown9.jpg

princesscrown13.jpg

princesscrown18.jpg

princesscrown20.jpg

princesscrown1.jpg

Ranger X

Since the king of RPG to me WAS Squaresoft and that the reality is that i didn't a real interest in any of their games since FF9.... Atlus is indeed king. I'm not fond of all the games they publish but most are interesting to me.

Top Bottom