• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Final Fantasy 7 Remake's battle system just like FFXIV or KH? (answer: nope)

Is FF7:R's battle system just like KH or FF15?

• YES, it's just like one or both of those games.

• NO, it's different from those two games.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
A lot of criticism I'm hearing (mostly from people who haven't played the game or the demo) is that the battle system in FF7 Remake is button mashy or brain dead. That it's like Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy 15. I don't agree with either of those opinions. While I've only played the demo, there is a lot of depth to the combat, and you do have to make a lot of tactical decisions during combat in order to min/max your damage output.

There are a lot of opinions: https://www.neogaf.com/search/10244...er_than]=2018-03-10&c[nodes][0]=2&o=relevance

This video breaks it down well:

Now, I know that both KH and FF15 are full games and we've experienced end game combat in those games. It's entirely possible that at max level and with certain OP materia combinations, combat in FF7 Remake might become braindead too. But philosophically, that would also be in line, design-wise, with the original FF7 too. In FF7, with high stats and specific materia setups, you could faceroll basically anything in the game. But that is a progression goal actively worked on by the player and should be held to a different standard than games that have brain-dead combat from the very beginning.

To give you an example of the kind of complexity the combat has, here is a speedrun of the demo.

If you played the demo, how fast can you beat it? How fast can you kill Guard Scorpion? Other thoughts?

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
It's not identical, but comparing it to be similar to Kingdom Hearts is a good start when trying to explain the combat.

njean777

It is somewhat similar to KH, but not fully. It still has numbers popping off and such, along with more tactical combat. KH is not that way. Its like a middle ground between the two.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
It's designed so button-mashing is never the most viable strategy to win anything. You have elemental weaknesses to hit, stagger bars to fill and staggered enemies to burst down, and all of those require specialized skills locked behind ATB charges. So is recovery magic/ items. ATB charges are limited, so you have to make decisions, decide on your priorities, or use non-controlling characters charges to fill holes.

Attacking, kiting, guarding or dodging are just things that you do while filling your ATB, and solely relying on it will make battles take longer and your HP drop faster.

EDIT: In this regard, it demands a lot more decision-making than KH, while having deeper party synergy mechanics than either KH or 15. There's also no immediately broken mechanic like FF15's spammable items, or incomplete/ poorly-thought ones like FF15's magic grenades.

Last edited:

lyan

The attack animations with each button tap is a bit too long, making it feel mashy since at first glance you can't tell when you are suppose to make another input and proceed to mash. (Off topic but pso2 solved this with just attack indicator)
Similar to other jrpgs, it is difficult to give a proper judgement/impression without enough content.

stickkidsam

Gold Member
It's on its own level.

I think people confuse it for being button mashy because they see the attack button as the core mechanic, rather than the fuel that gets the gears turning.

Attacking is a part of the core gameplay loop but it is far from the star of the show.

D.Final

Banned
A lot of criticism I'm hearing (mostly from people who haven't played the game or the demo) is that the battle system in FF7 Remake is button mashy or brain dead. That it's like Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy 15. I don't agree with either of those opinions. While I've only played the demo, there is a lot of depth to the combat, and you do have to make a lot of tactical decisions during combat in order to min/max your damage output.

There are a lot of opinions: https://www.neogaf.com/search/10244...er_than]=2018-03-10&c[nodes][0]=2&o=relevance

This video breaks it down well:

Now, I know that both KH and FF15 are full games and we've experienced end game combat in those games. It's entirely possible that at max level and with certain OP materia combinations, combat in FF7 Remake might become braindead too. But philosophically, that would also be in line, design-wise, with the original FF7 too. In FF7, with high stats and specific materia setups, you could faceroll basically anything in the game. But that is a progression goal actively worked on by the player and should be held to a different standard than games that have brain-dead combat from the very beginning.

To give you an example of the kind of complexity the combat has, here is a speedrun of the demo.

If you played the demo, how fast can you beat it? How fast can you kill Guard Scorpion? Other thoughts?

First, you made a small mistake in writing the title.
You wrote XIV instead of XV

Secondly
, after playing the Final Fantasy VII Remake demo, it is very clear how the Final Fantasy VII Remake Battle System is partly inspired by both Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts. But at the same time it is extremely different from both.
It is substantially more solid and rigid in the commands given during the battle, but this is not a bad thing considering that the basic reference factor of the Final Fantasy VII Remake Combat System is practically based on the original of that of Final Fantasy VII ATB, but with slight highly relevant variables.
So it's basically different.

Third, it's time to open the official Final Fantasy VII Remake OT conversation.
Who is it that will take care of it?

Top Bottom