• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Gamespot dying?

HCgamer

I barely visit the site anymore and when I do visit it is usually after I checked out a bunch of other gaming sites first. It is an afterthought for me now.

I don't read either site very often. I just visit GAF, scan that topics, and open the 1 or 2 that look remotely interesting. Sometimes there's a link to GS or IGN in there, but that's about it. I also visit the IGN PC forum because GAF is console-centric.

And then I'll visit some specialty sites like blogs.

Most games and gaming news nowadays don't interest me. I don't know if it's because of info overload, me losing interest in games in general, me not caring about games that won't come out for months, or games nowadays being the same ol' stuff. I'm certainly not interested enough to demand (boring, substance-free) daily updates from gaming sites.

cvxfreak

When GameFAQs and GameSpot were so far as to integrate their message boards, it was a clear indication that GS needed a shot in the arm when it came to a fanbase.

Danj

For me, GameSpot died when they shut down Gamespot UK back in 2002 (er, sorry, I meant to say "integrated it into GameSpot.com", honest). I still wish they'd made it into a pay site instead of getting rid of it.

DrLazy

I miss "The Spot." It gave a sense of community to gamespot. Lord knows those forums are herrendous. Worse than IGN.

Senretsu

themadcowtipper said:
You Know what you must do Gamespot...go back to the darkside.....

dollar%20menu.JPG

double cheeseburger? I'd hit it!

Uter

SpokkX said:
Gamespot >>>> IGN

IGN´s scores can´t be trusted, they are laughable

9.9 for jade empire.. 9+ means "An ok game"

whats next..

I finally figured out IGN's review system. Most sites are reviewing at 10. They're at ten there, all the way up. Where can you go from there? Where? Nowhere...

So what IGN's review system does is have an unspoken feature to give it that extra push over the cliff, their system secretly goes to ELEVEN.

So with that knowledge suddenly the reviews like Jade Empire - 9.9, Jak II - 9.5, God of War - 9.8, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - 9.6, and the many others previously thought to be outrageously high suddenly make total sense.

GameSpot has been dead to me since they increase the Shenmue score to avoid bitching. Their reviews are brutally honest and have been right on many accounts. Maybe they take a while to review games because they play through and beat it, instead of IGN where it seems like a lot of the reviews, they don't get past the beginning screen or at the very most, an hour of gameplay.

Pachinko

Its the slow time of year, that's what I'll use as an excuse. They still have a new story and a few reviews every day and they remain to have the single best layout of any of the major gaming websites that cover all the consoles. In fact I'd go so far as to say the only way they could make the layout better is to have a mygamespot style thing, where it'd only show you the top news story and every thing else would only apply to stuff you might actually care about.

Also I give them props for NOT going the ign route and sending you annoying email updates if you decide to keep tabs on a game that isn't out yet. I did buy insider for 1 year a while back and other then the japan article there was absolutly nothing that was worth anything. I mean back when I subscribed they still had ads automatically enabled. Atleast at gamespot as long as you are signed in the ads are off.

Both Gamespot and IGN have something in common for me - they both destroy my 26.4k dial up connection when I try to view any content. Gamespot's better in that it usually only takes 2-3 minutes to load the front page, whereas IGN usually assasinates my browser when the pre-stitials try to load. Even a reasonably decent Athlon 2800+ 1gig DDR 9800 pro is brought to its knees on a dial-up when they try to load their ad-stitials :(

john tv

Sea-Dragon said:
Both Gamespot and IGN have something in common for me - they both destroy my 26.4k dial up connection when I try to view any content. Gamespot's better in that it usually only takes 2-3 minutes to load the front page, whereas IGN usually assasinates my browser when the pre-stitials try to load. Even a reasonably decent Athlon 2800+ 1gig DDR 9800 pro is brought to its knees on a dial-up when they try to load their ad-stitials :(
The bigger problem is... why are you still surfing on speeds that were considered slow in 1995? :)

VerTiGo

Banned
Uter said:
I finally figured out IGN's review system. Most sites are reviewing at 10. They're at ten there, all the way up. Where can you go from there? Where? Nowhere...

So what IGN's review system does is have an unspoken feature to give it that extra push over the cliff, their system secretly goes to ELEVEN.

So with that knowledge suddenly the reviews like Jade Empire - 9.9, Jak II - 9.5, God of War - 9.8, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - 9.6, and the many others previously thought to be outrageously high suddenly make total sense.

Am I the only one who recognized that Spinal Tap reference?

dollar%20menu.JPG
[/QUOTE]

That right there is 50% of why Gamespot can die a horrible death.
They have the most cluttered and slow loading site on the internet. I've been to TGP Pron sites that load faster and are more organized.

I like IGN better personally but I'm not sure how long they will be a good source either now that G4TV is sleeping with them.

Top Bottom