• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Kill Bill the greatest action movie of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insertia

No.

Kill Bill becomes hella boring towards the end. The last two 'action' scenes suck (the one where she fights the dozens of suits and the fight with Lucy Lui).

Original Matrix>Killbill vol. 1

Mrbob

CGI is only good where it is warranted. Otherwise its wasted or there to say, "OH COOL HERE I AM ANOTHER HIGH BUDGET CGI SHOT.". Hasn't FF: The Spirits Within taught you guys anything? :O But then again you are the one who actually likes AvsP. :p

Also, I didn't say it has the best choreography. It has great chorography. But I do thinnk it has the best overall action scenes.

BTW I tried to change the thread title to greatest movie of all time. I would consider the movie an action movie. An action movie that actually gets in depth with its characters.

The Matrix is one of my favorite movies of all time (Gets displaced to number 2 after Kill Bill), but its funny how we forget there is a bunch of lull between the action scenes in this movie as well.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Insertia said:
No.

Kill Bill becomes hella boring towards the end. The last two 'action' scenes suck (the one where she fights the dozens of suits and the fight with Lucy Lui).

You forgot out the entire second half of the movie, guy.

killer3.jpg

1d8c3d9d-7e8b-11d7-a10d-00805fbbb715.gif

raidercd2a.jpg

Just a few of my nominations.

Alucard

Banned
Drunken Master 1
Fist of Legend

For pure hand-to-hand fighting action, it's really hard to beat these 2 IMO.

I'd probably rank The Transporter over Kill Bill in the action movie department.

Mrbob

Alucard said:
I'd probably rank The Transporter over Kill Bill in the action movie department.

LOL. I can't believe you remember enough of that POS to even compare it with Kill Bill. What a low blow lol

transporter.jpg

"Suck on this
Beatrix
!!"

Roofles. Worst. Movie. Ever?

First off, no.

Secondly, I think everyone should wait at least a year or two before calling anything the best of whatever.

Thirdly, I love people who actually think Vol.1 is a better flick than Vol. 2. Don't get me wrong, 1 was good and all, but come on...

No. It's good, but no where close to the "Best of All Time". Kill Bill Vol 1 is a great movie, and all, but I don't even know if it's the best action movie that I've seen in the past year.

karasu

Alucard said:
Drunken Master 1
Fist of Legend

For pure hand-to-hand fighting action, it's really hard to beat these 2 IMO.

You are a great man. Nice to see someone appreciates the real shit. EVen though I think FOL was so so overall, with three classic fights.

Tsubaki

Seen Vol 1 only. The more you know about who influenced Tarantino, the less his stuff is amusing.

Watch Kite and the Production IG anime part seems like a mirror (although it IS a homage to it). Watch any Takashi Miike film and the rest of Vol 1 is rather dull.

XS+

Banned
Personally, I vote for:

630528069X.01.LZZZZZZZ.gif

as best all-around action movie. Awesome intelligent villains, complex characters, realism rarely-if-ever seen in over-the-top steroid injected 80s action flicks, suspenseful action scenes, blood guts n explosions, kickass lines and catchphrases etc.

karasu

Watch Kite and the Production IG anime part seems like a mirror (although it IS a homage to it). Watch any Takashi Miike film and the rest of Vol 1 is rather dull.

Say wha? All they have in common are little girls becoming assassins, that is in no way unique.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Kill Bill is to kung-fu and asian cinema what Raiders was to adventure serials.

Speilberg and Lucas loved adventure serials so much they made their own. That's exactly what QT did with Kill Bill.

XS+

Banned
ManaByte said:

Speilberg and Lucas loved adventure serials so much they made their own. That's exactly what QT did with Kill Bill.
There's also a bit of western and Brian DePalma and a bunch other stuff in the KB saga.

On an unrealated note, I wish the music in Vol.2 was all homage, and the two modern-sounding songs at the end of the movie were taken out.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
XS+ said:
There's also a bit of western and Brian DePalma and a bunch other stuff in KB.

On and unrealated note, I wish the music in Vol.2 was all homage, and the two modern-sounding scores at the end of the movie were taken out.

Well the Western stuff is from QT wanting to do his own "Dollars Trilogy". But the third part probably isn't going to happen for 15 years or so when Copperhead's daughter goes after the Bride for revenge.

I also vote for Die Hard. Not only the smart foes, real suspense, etc, but a subtext that Modern Man can relate to (how to shore up your manhood when your wife makes more money? Blow up a building!)

I really like KB (both parts) but like Pulp Fiction a lot more, and Reservoir Dogs even more. I'm not sure what there is to dielike in RD-- it's one of the best ensemble character pieces aver, and very, very well written and acted. It's an awesome movie, and I doubt QT will ever top it.

Tsubaki

karasu said:
Say wha? All they have in common are little girls becoming assassins, that is in no way unique.

If you're talking about my Kite/Production IG comment, the way the action sequences were directed were very similar. I did not mean the plot.

Similarly, the way all the action and death scenes played out in KB Vol 1 were very Miike, but somehow Tarantino's attempts were a bit less exciting. I was sorta bored despite all the action. But Miike seems to always shock.

Flynn

ManaByte said:

This is an apt comparison.

Raiders, just like Kill Bill, fed off, tributed, reinvented and rewarded fans of the genre(s) that inspired it yet still stood on its own as an entertaining experience to mainstream audiences who don't need or want a deep knowledge cinema history to enjoy a night out at the movies.

That's why both are so great. They're inherently populist because of their genre, but are also geek love letters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom