• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is NFT finally dead?

Is NFT finally dead?

• Yes

Votes: 80 70.8%
  • No

Votes: 33 29.2%

• Total voters

Spyxos

Sega executive calls play-to-earn blockchain games ‘boring​

A Billion-Dollar Crypto Gaming Startup Promised Riches and Delivered Disaster​

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...es-gave-ruin?leadSource=reddit_wall#xj4y7vzkg

Justin Bieber’s Bored Ape NFT was valued at $1.3 million in 2022—now it’s only worth around $60,000​

Sega Pulls Back From Blockchain Gaming as Crypto Winter Persists​

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...crypto-winter-persists?leadSource=reddit_wall

Meta to wind down NFTs on platforms amid crypto bust​

Everything Is Fine Help GIF by Squishiverse

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I understand overall what they were trying to do which was okay but the way they were going at was not okay

What’s okay:
to purchase digital content you own and can sell. Like buying and selling and digital game.

What’s not okay:
Selling a single weapon skin or jpg to one person to artificially inflate value.

Sadly, the damage has already been done and Nvidia realized they could artificially inflate their gou prices because consumers are willing to - nay, damn near horny for - getting fleeced.

I actually just cashed out all my crypto. I had a bit of passive income from it - 2 or 4 dollars a day, depending on the market - but it isn't worth pissing off the IRS over.

The thing to remember about crypto is that every dollar you take out, is more or less someone else's dollar. Cryptos exist because people stick money in them. Convince a bunch of normal folk on Twitter to invest in doge, and then you can take out your holdings for massive profits, etc

As long as it's pegged to fiat, the notion that it could create abundance for all is null. Sadly, historically, anyone who decides to buck the fiat banking scheme and use metals gets killed real quickly. Pretty sure Gaddafi was the most recent example.

That being said, all I want is a non shitty gpu but that won't happen because the crypto meme got replaced with the ai meme, which seems to be even worse for consumers.

What will be very interesting to see is what happens when the brics countries begin to use Bitcoin alongside their precious metals backed banking system they are rolling out.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I'd say it is more likely heading to where it could actually be useful. Once that $60000 jpeg hits $6 then we might have some useful technology unburdened by rampant speculation and manipulation.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sadly, the damage has already been done and Nvidia realized they could artificially inflate their gou prices because consumers are willing to - nay, damn near horny for - getting fleeced.

I actually just cashed out all my crypto. I had a bit of passive income from it - 2 or 4 dollars a day, depending on the market - but it isn't worth pissing off the IRS over.

The thing to remember about crypto is that every dollar you take out, is more or less someone else's dollar. Cryptos exist because people stick money in them. Convince a bunch of normal folk on Twitter to invest in doge, and then you can take out your holdings for massive profits, etc

As long as it's pegged to fiat, the notion that it could create abundance for all is null. Sadly, historically, anyone who decides to buck the fiat banking scheme and use metals gets killed real quickly. Pretty sure Gaddafi was the most recent example.

That being said, all I want is a non shitty gpu but that won't happen because the crypto meme got replaced with the ai meme, which seems to be even worse for consumers.

What will be very interesting to see is what happens when the brics countries begin to use Bitcoin alongside their precious metals backed banking system they are rolling out.

This isn't about crypto currencies though, but about NFTs. They are related, but not the same thing.

I've always been very skeptical of both, and would happily see them crash and burn. Just always seemed like an imaginary house of cards that only had a value because people decided it did. I guess that can be said about almost anything - it's worth what people/the market decide it's worth - but in this case there is literally nothing to back it up, it's fully "imaginary".

Last edited:

tmlDan

it's not completely dead at this point, there are a ton of people who still believe in it for some reason.

I am sure eventually we will think of an intelligent use of the tech but art is not it

Wildebeest

It takes the games industry five years to react to trends with current production methods, so expect four more years of games where NFTs are absolutely essential to the design.

GreatnessRD

That shit was dead the moment it was created. Can't believe people were buying into that dumbass shit. Ya goofy asses!

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

They're in a bear market but when the markets in general are more risk on the ugly corpse of NFTs will rise from its grave and the cycle will start anew.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Glad to see it happen.

That said, I don't think it's dead, the hype just died out. The stupid Ape NFTs are still "worth" thousands of $, sometimes $tens of thousands.

It's going to continue to chug a long and grifters will continue to grift.
But why? it's just a JPG of a fucking ape.

Aenima

Not yet. But seems more and more ppl are abandoning the idea of NFTs and hopefully is dead soon. Luckly in video games NFT never managed to stuck cuz gamers voiced they disdain for the business model since day 1.

Top Bottom