• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Persona 5 Royal the best JRPG ever?

Fools idol

Banned
lord noo. The 'social life' simulator shit was absolutely cringefest and I couldn't stand it.

For me personally, Dragon Quest 11 was about as perfect as modern jRPG's can get. Takes the old classic formula and makes it shine.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon counts, right? That game has a great story and plenty of unique side content.

Like others have already said, there are many superior jrpgs out there. I think the best is subjective considering how comparable many of these games actually are. Persona 5 Royal was my first Persona game and it was an absolute grind. Sadly, it never hooked me enough to stick around.

Recently, I played Dragon Age XI and had a good time with that. I also recently played Tales of Arise (absolute time sink) and Ni No Kuni 2 (ok). I did try the latest Kingdom Hearts but I was completely lost. Does anyone that plays those games even know wtf is actuallly happening?

Going back a few years it was JRPGs on the Dreamcast that got me invested into the genre. Grandia 2 for me just hit different.

I also like P3 and P4 better.

There's a lot to praise about P5 in terms of music and art but they didn't hit it home with the story and characters because of the bad localization.

In the back half of the game characters start saying engrish gobbeldy-gook like "for the sake of absolute victory" and "you've repelled such an ordeal." Nobody talks like that. When the characters start speaking in first draft, they become unrelatable and harder to like. It made the game feel like it drags on for years and years whereas normally when I play a good persona game I never want it to end so I can enjoy the characters longer.

I went back to this because of the hype around the P3 remake, and it's just so good!
  • Gorgeous graphics
  • Amazing turn based combat
  • Great enemy and monster designs
  • Probably the best cast of characters in a game
  • Such a great story that has so much relevance in today's world
I haven't played the game...what do you mean by that?

Kumomeme

one of the best? yes

the best ever?

No Way Meme GIF

captainpat

Sometimes, I wonder if people who make threads about "x thing is the best game ever" are even fans of the game. Cause there's no way I'd set my favorite game to fail like that.

lord noo. The 'social life' simulator shit was absolutely cringefest and I couldn't stand it.

For me personally, Dragon Quest 11 was about as perfect as modern jRPG's can get. Takes the old classic formula and makes it shine.
I got about 20-30 hours into dq11 and got bored of it. I had just made it to some underwater world and had a boat. It felt like the same thing over and over in each town

RCU005

Got persona 5 at launch and loved it! But I’m pissed that greedy Atlus/Sega sold Royal separately at full price without a way to upgrade.

I imagine Royal is much better, still I give the best RPG of all time to Dragon Quest XI S.

OuterLimits

Atlus certainly did a great job with Persona 5, but I have enjoyed quite a few other JRPGs more. Hell, I may even rank Tokyo Mirage Sessions higher on my list even with the sometimes annoying idol stuff. Persona 5 just becomes somewhat tedious and exhausting to me unfortunately.

IAmRei

It's not even the best Persona. Shockingly once Persona 4 hit it's stride it was smooth sailing for the entire game, the 80 hours flew by.

Persona 5 was dragging it's heels, I loved the art style but holy shit it was a slog and I hated how it took Royal to actually get the same level of player agency you had in P4 and P3 by default.

Now let's talk Persona 2 and Mecha Hitler
i love persona 2 artstyle, i haven't finish it yet because it is kinda hard for me back then

Reactions: Isa

Madjaba

No it's not by a mile.
  • Gorgeous graphics > Yes.

• Amazing turn based combat > Yes even though it drags a bit sometimes and it's quiet boring to hit the same skill for X turns and X fight.

• Great enemy and monster designs > Yes even though the large majority exists within the Shin Megami Realm since a lot of time.

• Probably the best cast of characters in a game > Hard nope, Silent Protagonist is ... Silent. and damn the rest of the cast is cliché as possible. Ryuji the cringy boi, the art boy smelling his own farts, fragile yet strong woman 1, fragile yet strong woman 2, a talking cat with some backstory...

• Such a great story that has so much relevance in today's world > Yeah but they didn't go the full "shit world" life is sometimes. We're talking fighting harassment with ... well harassment, fighting plagia with... harassment and blackmail; fighting political maneuvers with... harassment and blackmail... Repeat and Rinse for 100 hours.

• Probably the best music in any game ever > In his own style yes, in JRPG Realms, not even in the top 50 of the best OSTs of the genre. Go listen to Go Shiina's work on Tales of Legendia or some of Zestiria dungeons'. Know anything about Uematsu ? Soken ?

• Incredibly addictive gameplay that is unlike anything else, I love that blend of daily life and supernatural > The same gameplay loop as the other Persona since the third + the traditional SMT system.

• So many cool mechanics > Like ?

• Great bosses > Like in a lot of JRPGs you obviously didn't play.

Please stop with the hyperbole...​

Rush2112

Banned
I have this game in my backlog. Please tell me the story is better than final fantasy 7 remake. I didn’t understand anything in that story’s ending and felt that it was a waste.

Last edited:
Top Bottom