• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Persona 5 Royal the best JRPG ever?

Fuz

Banned
John Candy No GIF by Laff

Last edited:

Nico_D

I'm still to play it. Can I 100 percent it without using a guide first time?..it always puts me off to hear you have to make certain friendships by certain chapters or your fubared.

I don't if you are completely screwed if not deepening certain friendships but some of them do give good perks. I used a guide so... there's that. I don't like it either.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
It’s the 3rd best Persona game. Slogging through Royal after the base version made me hate the way it is paced.

That one is great

I can understand why it's divisive though
The story was great, evil space pope, ES asher, etc. The funny thing was every male characvter remaind EXACTLY same and all the female get major overhaul. I remember the old the trailer that show Jr, chaos, Ziggy look the same then Shion look completely different. Kosmos got dub toothpaste kosmos. Also the combat... oh boy was pretty bad.

The story was great, evil space pope, ES asher, etc. The funny thing was every male characvter remaind EXACTLY same and all the female get major overhaul. I remember the old the trailer that show Jr, chaos, Ziggy look the same then Shion look completely different. Kosmos got dub toothpaste kosmos. Also the combat... oh boy was pretty bad.

Well I love the combat system

As for the female characters I agree there but they went back to the sexy female character designs of the 1st one with 3

The story is still fantastic and the character development is fantastic overall across all 3 games

Bakkus

I think it's close, but I still hold PM:TTYD above it. I certainly like it better than some other games listed here.

Hydroxy

Can't think of anything wrong?
There's a lot wrong.
Story is stretched too thin and too much padding. Game could easily have been 30 hrs shorter. The story is much less interesting than Persona 4 and characters are much less interesting too. A few of the dungeons are boring and not fun. I would say its a 7/10 game, 8/10 if you don't mind the length. P4 was a better game overall

poodaddy

Fuck no.

Even putting P5 in the same league as Chrono Trigger and FFVI can get you 10 to 20 years in a max security facility OP. If you need to hide out, let me know; I'm here to help even the most lost and confused of us, which you clearly qualify as. Don't be afraid to reach out for help and guidance.

Boneless

No, because FFVII exists. I did like persona 5 but thought the combat system with exploiting weakness was quite shallow. Personally also not a fan of the massive social life sim aspect.

squarealex

My first Baby J-RPG maybe.

Joke outside, I prefer settings of Persona 4, but sure is a very good f... JRPG Persona 5. Sure, we need more like this with different settings..

cireza

I am 30 hours in and feel that barely anything has happened. I am fast forwarding most of the text.

In 30 hours I can complete Phantasy Star IV, which is my pick as best JRPG ever.

Last edited:
1. Chrono Trigger
2. Dragon Quest V
3. Suikoden 2
4. Dragon Quest XI
5. Dragon Quest VIII
6. Final Fantasy IX
7. SMT Nocturne
8. Final Fantasy VI
9. Xenogears
10. Grandia 2
11. Final Fantasy VII
12. Trails in the Sky 2nd
13. Persona 3
14. Persona 4
15. Wild Arms 2
16. Shin Megami Tensei IV
18. Ys VIII
19. Nier Automata
20. Lost Odyssey
21. Trails from Zero
22. Persona 5

Nope. Not even top 20. Sad!

Sad Donald Trump GIF
I believe you meant to put Final Fantasy VI at a tie with Chrono Trigger for number 1 and Xenogears right under it. We will forgive your mistake this time 😉

The Shepard

Persona 4 is best persona and is one of the best jrpg's ever. Couldn't even complete 5 as it drags on to much. Played a bit of 3 on game pass but will wait till the remakes out, hopefully it's more like 4.

hyperbertha

Got about halfway through so far. Story has a lot of episodic elements. The Villains for each palace are very one dimensional and boring so far. The social sim gameplay is super boring too. Just pressing buttons to level up stats. Gets old fast. The dungeons are very linear, with boring pointless 'puzzles'. So far it's a 6/10 salvaged by some occasionally challenging turn based battles.
But I did like the Egypt palace's character. So maybe the story will pick up in the latter half

Patrick S.

Banned
I don't know why people feel the need to belittle OP for his oppinion :messenger_neutral:

I've started playing Persona 5 Royal a few days ago. I'm only a couple of hours in, but I already love the style of the game. The presentation, the graphic style, the cutscenes, the voice acting... everything is top notch and feels like pure quality.

I'm only shortly after the first time you have a conversation with Ann and something happens at the school, so I haven't seen much of the plot other than "teacher is bad and likes to hurt students", but I like having a plot that isn't about girlish boys with weird clothes who are THE ONE and MUST SAVE THE UNIVERSE! (please don't spoil if the game becomes exactly that in a couple hours haha).

I don't know yet if I'll feel it's the best RPG ever until I've played through it, but at the very least I can say it's already one of very very few JRPG games I've played I can't get out of my head and want to keep playing and playing.

Fbh

Haven't played Royal but the OG version isn't even top 10 for me.
Maybe if it was like 60 hours shorter.

Synless

Persona 5 OG and I would imagine Royal would not be in my top 50. It’s bloated and the dungeons are devoid of life. It’s more of a visual book than a game really.

Varteras

Gold Member
Just to add the game opened up with it's strongest writing and villain from the jump, it's wild how much no one else was half as intimidating as he was. There was also a serious sense of danger of him being teacher at school presented to the students, it felt really personal.

Thank you! I argued with a friend about this for what felt like a damn week. The fact that the first villain wasn't, at the very least, the penultimate antagonist was a huge miss to me.

That being said, no. I don't believe Persona 5 was the best JRPG ever. An overall awesome one, for sure. Not even close to my top 5. Probably not even top 10.

Moneal

Only game I've played all the way through 3 different times, and working on my 4th. Still not the best. Suikoden 2 or Shrink Trigger would have that for me.

It’s not even the best out of the modern Persona titles. 3 and 4 are miles better than it, and people will see it when Persona 3’s well-deserved remake comes out soon.

P3 is one of my favourite games of all time; it’s characters and writing are some of the best I’ve seen in all of my years as a gamer.

Top Bottom