• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sony opening themselves up to piracy by allowing the use of non-proprietary SSD cards for the PS5??

FMX

Do you all think that this will bite them in the ass before the end of the generation? I know that those things are expensive but they will be the exact same chips that you can install in a PC. I can imagine that memory will be encrypted but what kind of control measures could they implement?

Roxkis_ii

No more then the Ps4, which also let you swap your harddrive.

There is jailbreaks for the Ps4, but it's limited to older firmware versions, and older games. Also, most people enjoy playing games online, so console piracy isn't as hot as it used to be.

Last edited:

RaySoft

Do you all think that this will bite them in the ass before the end of the generation? I know that those things are expensive but they will be the exact same chips that you can install in a PC. I can imagine that memory will be encrypted but what kind of control measures could they implement?
No, since generating security by obscurity was (hopefully) a '90 thing.
Look, the medium is irelevant, it's the code that runs on it thats important. Lets just hope Sony uses a real random salt generator this time around. (ref. PS3's rndNumGen() = _TheSameNumberEveryTime_)

Last edited:

SLESS

It’s more likely hackers find a way to exploit the proprietary SSD since its a single point of entry.

Pagusas

Elden Member
thats-not-how-any-of-this-works.gif

Hackers will find a way in an exploit through firmwares with Astro bot, before any exploits via SSD. Look at PSP or history of playstation exploits for example.

Krisprolls

Banned

The short answer is "no". The content is indeed encrypted and well protected. Having non proprietary SSD doesn't make it hackable.

The best you could argue is that once the playstation is "hacked" that you would then be able to use it to move over games- which on a "hacked" console you could likely do via the network or USB.

Not only is the Add-in SSD going to be controlled by the on board controller and formatted by that- And not only aren't we able to remove the internal one to examine the or change that- but likely
as someone said it will be formatted upon insertion before use.

Is it FEASIBLE that one day it could be used as PART of some kind of jailbreak? Its possible, but it isn't MORE possible than either 1. someone doing so on any previous console
or 2. more possible than if they went with proprietary solutions considering they allow games to be launched on external USB drives- I consider that its likely going to be
MORE secure than games on an external USB drive which undoubtable wont be contiguous with internal storage(as the SSD slot is ) and wont require formatting between connections.

Just my 2 cents based on inference.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
No, if your asumption would be right, you would be able to read any sort of encrypted drive, which would probably be and issue.

LordCBH

no. It’s likely some proprietary data format and the sad probably has to be formatted if it leaves the system and is put back in with altered data.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
They control the OS and firmware. Nuff said.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Hopefully.

Ahh so i guess that explains why every other console had been hacked. They didn’t control the firmware. Weird it took a company. this long to figure that out.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
As soon as the hardware is released into the wild that control starts to weaken. Someone somewhere is always looking for a way in. Sony controlled the firmware on PS4 until they didn't. No doubt people will try to use the SSD as a vector for exploit and they may succeed. The risk of attack is probably why it's currently disabled.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
As soon as the hardware is released into the wild that control starts to weaken. Someone somewhere is always looking for a way in. Sony controlled the firmware on PS4 until they didn't. No doubt people will try to use the SSD as a vector for exploit and they may succeed. The risk of attack is probably why it's currently disabled.

Just like what happened with the USB storage on the PS4? F U D

ReBurn

Gold Member
Just like what happened with the USB storage on the PS4? F U D
So you're saying that PS4 firmware up to version 6.72 hasn't been hacked? And that it hasn't been hacked since 1.76? Reality is not FUD. Someone is going to try to hack the PS5. Whether they are successful is another story.

Soodanim

So you're saying that PS4 firmware up to version 6.72 hasn't been hacked? And that it hasn't been hacked since 1.76? Reality is not FUD. Someone is going to try to hack the PS5. Whether they are successful is another story.
That has nothing to do with storage.

ReBurn

Gold Member
That has nothing to do with storage.
If you'll bother to look at the thread topic the question was whether Sony is setting themselves up for piracy via the SSD bay. The thread Is about piracy, not storage. It's not impossible that people will try to hack it via the SSD bay.

Soodanim

If you'll bother to look at the thread topic the question was whether Sony is setting themselves up for piracy via the SSD bay. The thread Is about piracy, not storage. It's not impossible that people will try to hack it via the SSD bay.
Is there history of consoles getting hacked because of removable storage?

Oddspeak

No. And even if they were, proprietary cards suck ass and would only hurt the console in the long run, and there's a whole other argument to be made about how allowing pirated games to be played on it might actually help hardware sales.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Piracy nowadays is not like the 90s or 2000s

Either way, piracy usually sells more consoles, so good for them;
PlayStation one and two were pirated as fuck, and both sold as fuck
Wii was pirated very early, and sold more than competition for a great margin
PC is huge in this sense...

bighugeguns

I will now buy your console.

bighugeguns

Piracy nowadays is not like the 90s or 2000s

Either way, piracy usually sells more consoles, so good for them;
PlayStation one and two were pirated as fuck, and both sold as fuck
Wii was pirated very early, and sold more than competition for a great margin
PC is huge in this sense...
Isn't Nintendo's stuff still pirate city? They're pretty huge in the console space.

Is there history of consoles getting hacked because of removable storage?
Yes. The PSP, Wii and WiiU come to mind, also the PS3.

They could all be hacked with the help of storage devices. Like for PS3... (this is very simplified) you copy some files on a USB stick, plug it in and open a specific website with the consoles Webbrowser which executes the code on the USB stick. On earlier PSP models (and also Wii) you could simply execute the code you copied on the memory stick duo iirc. Later you needed a specific battery to hack it.

The possibility of hacking the PS5 through the NVME expansion slot certainly exists, but I doubt that Sony has left any vulnerabilities there. Never say never, though.

Soodanim

Yes. The PSP, Wii and WiiU come to mind, also the PS3.

They could all be hacked with the help of storage devices. Like for PS3... (this is very simplified) you copy some files on a USB stick, plug it in and open a specific website with the consoles Webbrowser which executes the code on the USB stick. On earlier PSP models (and also Wii) you could simply execute the code you copied on the memory stick duo iirc. Later you needed a specific battery to hack it.

The possibility of hacking the PS5 through the NVME expansion slot certainly exists, but I doubt that Sony has left any vulnerabilities there. Never say never, though.
I should have been more specific. The removable storage in those examples is all done via removable storage (USB, SD) using standard file systems. In the context of the quote chain (and the thread), it was said that the SSD is likely disabled because of hack attempts but I don't see that as likely at all when it will need to be formatted for the PS5 file system immediately. Those USB ports are a much bigger risk than NVME, as I understand it.

Last edited:

bighugeguns

I should have been more specific. The removable storage in those examples is all done via removable storage (USB, SD) using standard file systems. In the context of the quote chain (and the thread), it was said that the SSD is likely disabled because of hack attempts but I don't see that as likely at all when it will need to be formatted for the PS5 file system immediately. Those USB ports are a much bigger risk than NVME, as I understand it.
Will the PS5 be using a proprietary file system for external storage devices?

Yes it bound to happen some genius will jailbreak the PS5 just as they did the PS4 and the PS3 and the PS2 and the PS1.

Top Bottom