• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sony PlayStations Purchase of the EVO tournament one of their most strategic?

Dr_Salt

lol what?

So? you telling me the PS5 temperature kept rising the longer its turn on?
You understand that people connect and disconnect their sticks, pads etc everytime they play right? You clearly have no idea what goes on in these tournaments. Its probably wear and tear added to the mix.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
You understand that people connect and disconnect their sticks, pads etc everytime they play right? You clearly have no idea what goes on in these tournaments.
then it seems to be personal issue then? since they brought their own USB, plug in and out countless times, the USB could be **** before they even step inside the EVO?

Dr_Salt

then it seems to be personal issue then? since they brought their own USB, plug in and out countless times, the USB could be **** before they even step inside the EVO?
Idk, maybe it is a possibility. Funny enough this never happened with PS4s.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I think you might be slightly confused about Esports and the FGC. They're not the same. The FGC was birthed in the arcades and while it has grown in popularity it remains true to it's roots so to speak. E-sports, is something different entirely. Yes, technically, any game can be an E-sport but if you ask members of the fgc if they consider what goes on within our community, E-sports...

They'll most likely laugh at you.
The last thing I care about is anyone in e-sports laughing at me. E-sports are all video game sports that are played competitively. Plus I don’t know why I got quoted here, I didn’t even mention FGC in my post.

If you are referring to EVO not being esports, you are definitely wrong, they even say it is on the official EVO website, I can screenshot if you would like.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
They're reaching a new side of marketing. If they don't mess with the rules or whatever, it's fine - the fighting community is crazy toxic as hell, and it should never change

yurinka

I have been watching it and really enjoyed it so far, and think it's a great marketing tool for them. I noticed:
  • Sony did use the stream it to place ads of Sony games, Inzone accesories, Crunchyroll anime, PlayStation Tournaments or the Gran Turismo movie
  • All the setups had PS5 (or PS4) plus Sony Inzone display and headsets
  • Sony made the great EVO music theme
  • They also had PS merch in the stores and gave away some PS freebies like PS tshirts
  • Sony allowed MS announcements (KI will receive a 10th anniversary free game update)
  • As usual there were announcements for many fighting games coming to PS
I also asked a few of people who went to play there and they mentioned:
  • For the first time the organization has been great even if they had a record number of atendees playing, unlike previous years where the organization was so poor and chaotical in many levels causing issues like cues having to wait a lot to play for no reason. This time things were well organized
  • This time the quality of the setups (PS5/PS4 + Sony Inzone display + headsets everywhere) was good, unlike in many tournaments where they have displays with a lot of lag
the fighting community is crazy toxic as hell
Not true. Maybe it's case of your city, but it's known for being diverse, kind and particularly open and welcoming plus always having polite matches with good sportsmanship.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
You are literally contradicting yourself to create a false narrative.

Clearly you're being disingenuous, so imma leave you to the mental gymnastics which allows you to conflate. For the record, FGC tournaments were a thing before the internet, streaming, and a prize pool.
You seem to be getting worked up over an irrelevant distinction. Irrationally so.

Fighting games are a genre of esports that FGC enthusiasts compete in. EVO is an esports event. It wasn't conflating. There is overlap on the Venn diagram between FGC enthusiasts and EVO competitors, so picking a fight over it is kinda weird.

Pelta88

The last thing I care about is anyone in e-sports laughing at me. E-sports are all video game sports that are played competitively. Plus I don’t know why I got quoted here, I didn’t even mention FGC in my post.

If you are referring to EVO not being esports, you are definitely wrong, they even say it is on the official EVO website, I can screenshot if you would like.

You can turn any game, competitive or non-competitive, into E-sports. Sonic The Hedgehog 2 and Mario from the 80s has been turned into E-sports.

E-sports is an infrastructure. The FGC is a community that sprung up from a specific genre.

You seem to be getting worked up over an irrelevant distinction. Irrationally so.

Fighting games are a genre of esports that FGC enthusiasts compete in. EVO is an esports event. It wasn't conflating. There is overlap on the Venn diagram between FGC enthusiasts and EVO competitors, so picking a fight over it is kinda weird.

I'm cucumber in a blast chiller cool.

That aside, the distinction here is of crucial importance. EVO is an FGC event. Before there was a penny or single cent involved, the FGC was getting together, in every region and on every continent, to compete and showcase their skills. Before any match went viral we were talking about that via word of mouth or reading it in magazines. I'm surprised people are arguing against that.

The FGC is what made me a gamer, so I've seen it EVOlve way before evo was even conceived.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This purchase solely for merchandise and advertising opportunities. I wouldn’t look too much into it.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Now Sony needs their own first-party fighting game to seal the deal.

A PlayStation All-Stars like Super Smash Bros and Brawlhalla, which scales from top-tier PS5/PC to mobile, would be a good option to have.

In addition, it'd also make sense from a business POV to make other fighting games exclusive to PlayStation and fully associate this one genre with PlayStation.

Last edited:

Ronin_7

Banned
The purchase seems somehow strange to me. Sure, they can promote their ecosystem during the broadcast, but they could have spent the money better somewhere else. If Sony had their own first party fighting games it would make a lot more sense.
Sony sees esports as one of their next big ventures.

Expect more investment.

This why I think sony would be wise to buy half of EA Games they have soo many ips that not only be used for EVO but for live services

Medal of Honour (Evo - live service
Battlefield ( live service)
Apex ( Evo - live service)
Football/Soccer (Evo - live service)
C&C red alert ( Evo )
Racing/F1 ( Evo - Live service)

and many more games

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Not true. Maybe it's case of your city, but it's known for being diverse, kind and particularly open and welcoming plus always having polite matches with good sportsmanship.
Not sure if sarcasm, still I need to put this there for the sake of lulz

and a bonus one because is the most wholesome trash talk ever

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
A PlayStation All-Stars like Super Smash Bros and Brawlhalla, which scales from top-tier PS5/PC to mobile, would be a good option to have.
ehhhh. Smash has proven that only it and few others can do the platform fighter formula without fading quickly into deep irrelevance. Multiversus copied the formula with a 2v2 twist, great animations, some of the most recognizable media characters, and it still died off.

Instead they could try doing a 3v3 Marvel style combo fighter with PS IPs & brand new characters. A 3rd person story mode designed by Naughty Dog ALA SF6 would be great, too.

miklonus

This is fuckin' laughable. Pelta88 Pelta88 was/is right a million times over.

You'd like to think NeoGaf is smarter than that.

Last edited:

miklonus

Combofiend and the other dude commentating have been putting half the viewers to sleep. We need Yipes in this mothafucka.

miklonus

Which makes me think, why don't we have an official EVO thread, do people not like fgs here or what?
You would think, with a self-proclaimed "video game forum" that we'd have one but.......

Look dude I just got this second account not too long ago. I ain't the one to make threads. Half these "video game fans" are more concerned with graphics in a fighting game than the actual fighting aspect anyway.

P.S. Kane was downloaded.

Last edited:
Which makes me think, why don't we have an official EVO thread, do people not like fgs here or what?
I know this is mind blowing to you, but GAF is an Internet forum, in order for there to be a thread someone needs to create one.

Be the change you want to see in the world. Create the Official EVO thread next year, and then GAF will have one.

[Sigma]

EVO is now one big PlayStation ad. A ton of ads for every 2 matches. Hours of breaks with nothing but ads almost all related to PlayStation or Sony in a way like the anime stuff.

Last edited:

Crayon

It's strategic in terms of gass expansion. I suppose it helps define the brand a bit, too. Bonus if they are doing a good job with the events.

Dr_Salt

I know this is mind blowing to you, but GAF is an Internet forum, in order for there to be a thread someone needs to create one.

Be the change you want to see in the world. Create the Official EVO thread next year, and then GAF will have one.
I don't know how to make those fancy threads with time countdowns and banners so if you don't mind me making a barebones thread then i'll gladly do it.

Considering how triggered you guys got i'll go with what the other guy said which is this place cares more about graphics and console wars than the games themselves.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
After reading this I am not sure...

To me it looks like it just jammed and eventually broke out of the USB. The blue part is the plastic that holds the connecting pins inside the PS5's port, so the face there would be the very back where they probably melt it to fix it in since that is simply cheaper, less complicated, and less corrosive than an adhesive. I think hundreds of excited people half-blindly jamming their controllers from dozens of different manufacturers into the port and possibly yanking it out after a salty loss/excited win probably broke it loose on whichever controller happened to fit the must snugly. Sony could possibly look into a better grade of port to handle more abuse but overall it's just a design flaw of USB. That's part of why USB-C is designed the way that it is, we just learned these things over time.

Last edited:
It is more likely because the PSU is next to the USB ports at the back of the console. Sounds like a design flaw that only becomes apparent during heavy use.

Last edited:
It is more likely because the PSU is next to the USB ports at the back of the console. Sounds like a design flaw that only becomes apparent during heavy use.
Hopefully all ports are put in the front with one usb in the back. I use the port in the back for my external sdd. Gots me spooked.

Pelta88

They've got over 7000 People accessing those PS5. Hardware issues at tournaments are par for the course.

I honestly don't know how we got through the PS4 gen. Those consoles sing.

Last edited:
I don't know how to make those fancy threads with time countdowns and banners so if you don't mind me making a barebones thread then i'll gladly do it.

Considering how triggered you guys got i'll go with what the other guy said which is this place cares more about graphics and console wars than the games themselves.
I honestly don't like those overly fancy official threads with a million graphics and shit either, since realistically I'll look at the first post a total of once ever and never again

Just make the thread and if there's interest people will post in it regardless of what the first post looks like

kyoji

is the point of this? Waste of money if you ask me. This money should've gone towards securing a steady flow of content stream for PlayStation years to come through the acquisitions of Kojima Productions, Bluepoint Studio, and expanding Japan Studio - not downsizing them.

Yea cuz EVO is such a great purchase right? 🤣

Yet another fanboy who apparently "know" me yet I've never seen before lol. Nice alt.
Never forget 🤡’s for real

Pelta88

EVO officially set a record for most participants at an E-sports event.

I honestly thought that would be COD?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
They just announced that there's going to be a third EVO event that's going.

It has to be somewhere in Europe.

Mr.Phoenix

The purchase seems somehow strange to me. Sure, they can promote their ecosystem during the broadcast, but they could have spent the money better somewhere else. If Sony had their own first party fighting games it would make a lot more sense.
One of them cases when someone can't see the forest from the trees.

Rykan

I think you might be slightly confused about Esports and the FGC. They're not the same. The FGC was birthed in the arcades and while it has grown in popularity it remains true to it's roots so to speak. E-sports, is something different entirely. Yes, technically, any game can be an E-sport but if you ask members of the fgc if they consider what goes on within our community, E-sports...

They'll most likely laugh at you.
they are the same, and esports is not something entirely different. . FGC events have evolved beyond their origins as small venue gatherings exclusively attended by a local community. They have transformed into large, global events with players playing for large esports organizations.

Last edited:
Ya sure the FGC may not be as big as as other communities but it’s loyal, dedicated and hardcore. That’s a good base to have on your side. Think it was a smart long term decision.

yurinka

Not sure if sarcasm, still I need to put this there for the sake of lulz

and a bonus one because is the most wholesome trash talk ever

It isn't sarcasm. Obviously because of statistics there's a small percentage of bad apples, but it's stupid and unfair to generalize to dozens of millions of people because a few guys be bad behavior of a handful guys when the other 99.99% behave properly.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
"Perfect" is the enemy of "good enough". Threads don't have to be fancy. They just have to exist and contain a minimum viable threshold of usefulness and interest. Additional "fancy" things like banners can always be edited in after the fact if you really want to add them, and you can always ask people for help if you don't know how to make them.

cireza

Now that Sony's got EVO they should really consider developing a fighting game of their own. Their own AAA fighting game.

Nintendo and Xbox have there's, PlayStation needs theirs eventually
They already plagiarized Smash Bros for the record.

Dr_Salt

"Perfect" is the enemy of "good enough". Threads don't have to be fancy. They just have to exist and contain a minimum viable threshold of usefulness and interest. Additional "fancy" things like banners can always be edited in after the fact if you really want to add them, and you can always ask people for help if you don't know how to make them.
Right, i'll do it next year then.

Top Bottom