• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Star Trek as a franchise ripe for new videogames?

GreyHorace

Recently WhatCulture Gaming released their list of the top 10 Star Trek games of all time:

If you're curious, the list is as follows:

10) Bridge Crew
9) Star Trek Online
8) Away Team
7) Starfleet Command
6) Armada
5) Klingon Academy
4) 25th Anniversary & Judgement Rites
3) Final Unity
2) Voyager: Elite Force
1) Bridge Commander

Watching the video got me thinking, I've never played a Star Trek game before. While I am a fan of the franchise I've never bothered with any of the games based on it. My brother though, who's probably a bigger fan than me, played the shit out of games like Birth of the Federation and Bridge Commander. Still, I was surprised by the above video at how long and storied a history the franchise has had in videogames. While it's nothing compared to Star Wars' output, Trek has proven a viable license to adapt for games.

Like them or not, Discovery and Picard have brought about a resurgence in Star Trek in pop culture (though I personally think they're both terrible). Do you think there should be new Star Trek videogames? If so, who should develop them and what genre would they be?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It needs a reboot and new TNG or Voyager style series (but non-padded and good in all eps). Nuke all the shit stories of recent decades and go back to that romantic premise where mankind had reached a non capitalist near utopia level and started exploring their world. Space, the final frontier!

Would love to have a game following such a cool premise too. A vague goal and all kinds of encounters inbetween, having you choose how to tackle each with diplomacy or combat or whatever you feel is best, then getting ranked as a federation captain at the end based on how you did all that.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Picard and Discovery havent brought Star Trek back to pop culture at all.

Most Trek fans despise these new shows (because they are written and overseen by someone who doesnt like Trek, and wants it to be more like Star Wars, the idiot Alex Kurtzmann).

Id love more Trek games, but they would just be shooters. NuTrek is all about darkness, emotions, feelings, bitterness etc.

Its boring as fuck and doesnt fit Trek at all. Its pure unadulterated garbage.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Modern Trek isn't Trek. It is a shadow of its former self with the same ideological cultists that have ruined shows like Doctor Who.

Star Trek can have some AMAZING games. Bridge Commander and Elite Force were two excellent titles, but sadly most recent games have been low effort trash.

Vlodril

It is a great ip because it can be used in multiple genres (adventures, strategy, rpg etc etc). It baffles me that for all these years we have gotten almost nothing but the mmo (and the crappy movie game).

A new point-&-click game would be great, if pulled off by a solid team with writing skills. A Final Unity / 25th Anniversary and such wonderful treats, with all the dialogue and banter by original cast members.

I despise NewTrek, though, so the only way for this to work is to go back and place the game in a prior timeline. Perhaps attempt a truly great DS9 game? There's a lot of untapped potential there.

Furlong

Banned
Sounds like a great idea. Star Trek is dead though, so I would base them on The Orville.

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
Would love a full 3D FTL type game. Would be cool having online ship battles with characters assigned to certain jobs.

FTL is too good.

Gargus

Banned
Star trek as a whole sucks now. It has been getting progressively worse the past 15 or 20 year years. Its lost everything that once made it good. I have no interest in a modern game based on it.

Elite force was the only star trek game I liked.

Fox Mulder

Nah. Current Trek blows with none of the deep appeal of the old series. The old stuff has decades of dust now. Even the Picard show continuing on sucks and is completely different in tone and feel.

it would be better to just make a unique series like Mass Effect was. There was lots of effort put into the lore but the games kept getting worse and BioWare is awful now.

Last edited:

vivftp

My dream scenario:

- Sony get a license to make a Star Trek game
- Sony Santa Monica develops a second full team under Cory Barlog
- Sony lets Cory make the greatest Trek game ever with a massive enough budget to bring on board a quality cast of Trek actors.

We've had hints that Corys next game is a space game, and we know he's a huge Trekkie. I know there's a very slim chance of this happening, but I'm still holding out hope.

down 2 orth

I was wondering the same thing OP. But if Ubisoft holds the licence, I wouldn't hold my breath.

What I think there is a lot of room for is a Trek-like space exploration game that captures the feeling of excitement that was in Mass Effect 1. Since Andromeda shat the bed, I imagine a game like that would be a massive money generator.

Zog

Banned
The Armada games were great but I can't think of any other great Star Trek games.

Last edited:

ranmafan

We absolutely need more Star Trek games. Bridge Crew is still one of my favorite games of this generation, and an amazing VR experience. I would love to see some games using more classic trek style of course. Hopefully someone decides to make some game from the franchise soon.

No Mans Sky and Elite dangerous are probably the best answer. It just doesnt include any characters. Star Trek is not about combat, never was, its about exploring the universe.

Top Bottom