• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the 64GB Steam Deck enough?

Gamezone

Gold Member
The Steam Deck never released in Norway (Thanks Valve), but some stores have started importing it, all though a bit expensive. Is the 64GB fine, or something I really should avoid?

Filben

Using it myself. Upgraded with 1TB SD card, moved and linked all shader and compatibility files to the SD card as well so the internal storage is enough.

It's an amazing value for the money.

xBlueStonex

Depends. Most AAA games are now 50gb+, so one game will take up most of your space. If you're just planning on playing small indies and emulation, 64gb is enough.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
At this point I wouldn't bother getting the 64GB model based on the LCD screen alone. The OLEDs are releasing, and I would pay a bit more to get one of those imported.

Leonidas

So I could just install an SSD and get the same experience?
Yes, I did the internal 2230 SSD replacement.

If you don't want to open it up for the internal SSD upgrade you could also use a large capacity SD card which also provides a good experience.

At this point I wouldn't bother getting the 64GB model based on the LCD screen alone. The OLEDs are releasing, and I would pay a bit more to get one of those imported.
The OLED Steam Deck would have cost me $160 more than what I paid for the similar capacity (after upgrading my internal SSD).

If I had to pay $160 extra I don't think I would have bothered.

Last edited:

IFireflyl

Gold Member
The OLED Steam Deck would have cost me $160 more than what I paid for the similar capacity (after upgrading my internal SSD).

If I had to pay $160 extra I don't think I would have bothered.

That is fair. If you have the extra disposable money, go OLED. I have the LCD screen model (from my previous 512GB purchase), and it is still an excellent device.

Shakka43

With a sd card it is. It's how I've been using my 64gb one, using cryoutilities to link the compatdata folder and Shader cache folder to the sd card makes it act as the internal memory.

Beechos

It's enough it has an expandable SD card slot. Unless you want a built in ssd not sure how much performance gains that gives you though.

El Muerto

But will the OS still run on the slower drive?
You can run the OS on anything, even on a flash drive if you wanted to, it's a pc. The 64gb card in the Steam Deck is PCIE 2.0, so you'll notice a difference if moving from that to a PCIE 3.0 or 4.0 nvme. There's not really a notable difference between gen3 and gen4 nvme drives either. There is a marginal difference between loading games from the micro sd compared to internal storage.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'd say no. The price of 2230 SSDs has really plummeted, so you may as well step up to something like a 256GB 2230 for $16, or a 512GB for $37. To upgrade you'll need a guitar pick/plastic pick and a small screwdriver, ideally magnetized. You'll also need a USB drive or SD card to load the Deck Recovery Image onto.

These are the instructions. The newer Decks look slightly different, but it's pretty much the same deal. I find the newer model's shell easier to open than the original models.

Pretty much goes like this:
1. Download the Steam Deck Recovery Image from here
2. Download Rufus Standalone from here
3. Open Rufus and make sure the correct target drive is selected, sometimes you need to check the 'Show USB Drive' box. You can use USD Thumbdrive or SD card
4. Press 'Select' and choose the Recovery .img file
5. Press 'Start' and complete process
6. [OPTIONAL but Recommended] Drain your Deck of power below 50%
7. Shutdown. Then reboot pressing 'Volume +/up' + 'Power'.
8. Select to 'Setup Utility' -> 'Power' -> 'Battery Storage Mode' -> 'Yes'. The Deck will shut down
9. REMOVE THE SD CARD IF IT'S INSERTED!!!
--->The next part is easiest done by placing the Deck face down in the top part of the case like it would be with the case closed

10. Using your tiny screwdriver remove the screws on the back. [OPTIONAL but Recommended] Layout the screws out in the same manner they were removed so you put them back in the same place.
11. Use the guitar pick/opening pick on the right side at about the button height to pry open the shell. On the old models it was easier by the exhaust vent
12. Carefully open and remove the shell
13. Remove the metal shield screws at the top and bottom then remove the metal shield
14. Carefully use your plastic pick to unplug the battery. The old models have a pull strap(Don't use this), the new model doesn't
15. Remove SSD screw and remove the SSD
16. Carefully slide the shielding off the drive. You don't need to damage it like iFixit says
17. Slide shielding onto the new SSD and install it along with the SSD screw
18. Carefully plug your battery back in. Easiest to use the little protruding plastic parts on each side
19. Put metal shield back along with screws
20. Snap your backplate on, but don't put your screws in until you've verified functionality
--->
21. Plug your charging cable in and power your Deck up to wake it out of battery storage mode
22. Shut it down
23. Insert SD card or plug in USB thumbdrive using USB-C hub
24. Use 'Vol -/down' + 'Power' to enter boot menu then select your SD card or USB drive
25. It will boot into KDE Plasma desktop. Select 'Reimage Deck' and Yes/Proceed. Then reboot and the Deck will boot into SteamOS
26. Shut it down then replace the screws
27. Power up the Deck and it will be ready for login and play

Seems like a lot, but it's really like 30-40min. of work. I've done it so many times I can do the drive swap process with my eyes closed at this point.

Last edited:
Gamezone Gamezone

Pay the extra and get an OLED, if you need to save more than do that and get it.

Idk about you but it would bug the crap out of me using a 64GB LCD model when you could have just got an OLED with all the upgraded features plus more storage.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

The Steam Deck never released in Norway (Thanks Valve), but some stores have started importing it, all though a bit expensive. Is the 64GB fine, or something I really should avoid?
Grab 1tb drive from Amazon for €80 or less and it’s fine. Same Deck, just swap out the SSD.

Klosshufvud

I would absolutely opt for the OLED model or go for another PC handheld. 64GB storage is a joke. Not to mention it has a poor display, poor battery life, relatively loud fans and relatively lacking performance compared to newer handhelds. 64GB model only if you find it really cheap or is content just light weight gaming.

StereoVsn

Will performance be noticeable worse using a SSD vs SD card?
Depends on the game. Most indie/older games will run fine. However for some newer games or games they write a lot to disk, you will want to use the SSD.

Plus it’s cheap enough now so it’s a no brainer really. Heck you could get a 512gb for like €40 and 1tb for about double that.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I'd not recommend it.

I have a 64 GB, and it's normally fine if you have an SSD, but there's just always something ... Shader Cache, too many Proton layers, Compat Data, etc.

You can make it work. But if you want total peace of mind and don't want to think about this stuff too often, I'd suggest having a bit more internal storage.

Top Bottom