• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The OLED Steam Deck Burn-In video

Gamezone

Gold Member
Overall the Steam Deck burned in much faster than the Nintendo Switch OLED (which he also tested). The Steam Deck also doesn't have things like pixel shifting or auto dimming for static elements. It also seems like the warranty for burn in is 1 year. Most new OLED monitors for PC have 3 years now.

This is why I think there should always be an alternative to OLED.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
You mean to tell us that us early adopters that got the LCD models where not screwed over?

LCD is a worse looking screen for sure. I guess it depends on how you use it. 700 hours of static UI elements on the first QD-OLED monitors was enough to get burn in.

Klosshufvud

Been saying that OLED is not automatically better on PC where static text elements are more common than consoles.

Side by side, the Legion GO/Ally displays performed really well against SDOLED. And those panels have zero risk of burn in. A bright IPS display with great color range, VRR 144hz, high resolution is still the recommended PC monitor for a good reason.

PnCIa

There is always a risk of burn in - but tbh, as a life long crt, plasma and now oled user - it's fine. Unless it's severe, it's not noticeable in actual content. I was wondering why valve did not implement some kind of protective measure yet, as was already mentioned.

Bojji

OLED has possibility of burn in.

Who exactly is this news to?

That's true but looks like Valve didn't use any screen protection methods that LG for example uses. LG tvs are super hard to burn in but some other manufactures don't give that much fuck about protecting their screens.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Just like QD-OLED monitors, it's an issue in real world if you play the same game with static elements too much.
Yeah. High contrast static elements and running the OLED panel and a high brightness for a long period of time then folks are going to have an issue. I wonder if anyone actually does that?

Gamezone

Gold Member
Yeah. High contrast static elements and running the OLED panel and a high brightness for a long period of time then folks are going to have an issue. I wonder if anyone actually does that?

There are many QD-OLED burn in reports that wasn't caused by HDR. I love OLED, but I need that warranty.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Micro-LED is the alternative. With enough dimming zones and quantum dot tech it looks very good. But viewing angles are poor, even worse than on IPS.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Micro-LED is the alternative. With enough dimming zones and quantum dot tech it looks very good. But viewing angles are poor, even worse than on IPS.

Viewing angles really shouldn't be an issue on a handheld device. When microLED becomes mainstream, we will definitely benefit. Pretty much all of the benefits of OLED without the drawbacks (burn-in, issues with low-FPS games, et cetera).

Larxia

But viewing angles are poor, even worse than on IPS.
I've always been confused by this because everytime I tried a IPS monitor, the viewing angles were horrible, way worse than on TN. The screens always look kind of... too contrasted / dark, like a gamma issue, and they look fine only if you look at them from a very low angle, never understood that, I returned several monitors because of this and just gave up on IPS sadly.

Even as someone that babies their electronics and keeps everything pristine after trying OLEDs and experiencing just how superior they are to current alternatives I quickly decided that I'd rather use OLED and just replace the screen when needed.

The Steamdeck OLED is a particularly big upgrade as the normal screen is pretty poor for anything that isn't a bright game.

One day we will have a perfect display tech but we've been saying this for decades now I guess.

damidu

people are willingly or unwillingly dilluting the issue.
the result here seems much worse then what we currently have come to except.
valve probably needs some software updates for protection, looks like they just plugged in the screen and shipped.

So not an issue in real world use.

It’s not. Been using a 48” LG OLED as my gaming monitor for 4 years and not a single instance of burn in. Yet the rocket scientists on here somehow think this is going to affect their steam deck. Outside of testing who leaves the same image on their screen for 1000+ hours straight without switching to something else for at least a little while.

Last edited:

damidu

It’s not. Been using a 48” LG OLED as my gaming monitor for 4 years and not a single instance of burn in. Yet the rocket scientists on here somehow think this is going to affect their steam deck. Outside of testing who leaves the same image on their screen for 1000+ hours straight without switching to something else for at least a little while.
as a rocket scientist if you'd take the time to read the thread you are replying to or just bothered to watch the video,
you would know that deck doesn't have any of the software protection against burn-in you are enjoying on your lg oled.

im sure lg is developing and adding them as a side hobby, since burnin is such a non issue

Last edited:
as a rocket scientist if you'd take the time to read the thread you are replying to or just bothered to watch the video,
you would know that deck doesn't have any of the software protection against burn-in you are enjoying on your lg oled.

im sure lg is developing and adding them as a side hobby, since burnin is such a non issue

It still requires you to leave a static image on the screen. The Phawx on Youtube did this test on the deck already and specifcally stated that these tests DO NOT reflect real world use. If i left an image on my LG OLED for 1000 hours it would most certainly burn in regarless on what protections LG adds, but why would i?

Last edited:

damidu

It still requires you to leave a static image on the screen. The Phawx on Youtube did this test on the deck already and specifcally stated that these tests DO NOT reflect real world use. If i left an image on my LG OLED for 1000 hours it would most certainly burn in regarless on what protections LG adds, but why would i?
i mean their subpar 1 year burn-in warranty compared to increasingly industry standard of 3 years, should probably give you another hint, how long they are calculating it to last on average real world use.

and no you don't necessarily have to leave a screen on at max brightness for 1000s hours for burn in to kick in,
otherwise no one would be even aware of the issue.
thats just a stress test.

Gamezone

Gold Member

LG OLED are well known for not having many burn in issues, unlike Samsung. I think the Steam Deck OLED is made by Samsung.

Gamezone

Gold Member
How have you managed that? Do you have it on max brightness and it permanently on?
More than two years of having these icons in the same spot for 3-5 hours each day will do that. No, the brightness is pretty low. Try testing yours against a grey background.

i mean their subpar 1 year burn-in warranty compared to increasingly industry standard of 3 years, should probably give you another hint, how long they are calculating it to last on average real world use.

and no you don't necessarily have to leave a screen on at max brightness for 1000s hours for burn in to kick in,
otherwise no one would be even aware of the issue.
thats just a stress test.

It's really the equivalent of doing burnouts with your vehicle every day and blaming the tire company for the tires wearing out to quick. In a normal use case the screen will outlast the users desire to use it. Also, Valve can add protections to the screen whenever they desire. Most are just software driven to move images and refresh the pixels. They probably should have considered that when they chose an OLED screen.

Last edited:
Just like QD-OLED monitors, it's an issue in real world if you play the same game with static elements too much.
I had around 1000 hours of Apex Legends on my LG C9 OLED and the panel was still pristine when I sold it a few months ago. I never did anything special to protect the TV.

Deerock71

OLED is visibly better, and the OLED models have significantly better life. Not to mention burn-in won’t occur with standard use cases.
I'm simply stunned by my Switch OLED. Unless the sun is shining directly on it, there's almost no time I can't fire it up and play it. I will provide the caveat that low-light levels in games (dark, creepy, etc.) does get difficult to see things in bright sunlight.

diffusionx

Gold Member
You mean to tell us that us early adopters that got the LCD models where not screwed over?
They (we) got to play the system a year+ earlier, and that's kind of how tech works, but the big problem with the original Steam Deck was not that it had a LCD but that it had a bad LCD.

Deerock71

Gamestop will be taking old Steam Deck's as trade in starting today.
I think huffing the vent fumes has made me think this might be a good idea.
Wonder what they buy them for.
sitepandawhalecom GIF

lmao that's such a rip-off but i guess that's expected
Is it? I’m not sure you understand the economics of pawn/resale shops. If you want the most money, a private sale is always superior.

It’s weird to hear people complain about pawn shops while not understanding, inventory depreciation and many of the other economic challenges of operating such a business. Pawn shops exist to provide immediate liquidity to those who either desperately need cash or those who do not want to bother with the hassle of a private sale. If you don’t fall into either category, it’s best to steer clear of them.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Like the channel, but the test and the prior switch one is beyond stupid. What's the point of testing for conditions that nobody would ever do?

The screen.desyroys the lcd in every way, the Steam Deck is masively improved with it. Don't let this crap "test" keep you from quality.

Last edited:
Top Bottom