• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the PS2 the reigning king of 60 fps 3D games?

Romulus

Majority of PS2 games are 480i. Almost impossible to run these games without input lag and interlacing artifacts. Also, very few PS2 games can actually keep 60 fps throughout. It's just the static camera games for the most part. I prefer Xbox Original + PS3 for remasters combo.

This is the key to me. Ps2 was powerful enough to run 480p, but many games just took the big resolution hit to 480i for better frames. And many times they were pretty wild framerates.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Yeah, Playstation used to be such a great console hardware-wise.

Then Cerny put an APU in the PS4, and for some reason is hailed as a king

Chad Ken Kutaragi vs Virgin Cerny

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
That whole gen was an anomaly, honestly. I'm honestly not sure why priorities changed so much when we reached the next gen... other than, I guess, western devs dominating the scene and having no clue why 30fps wasn't ideal. It can't be that simple, can it?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I always try to skew to 60 fps games if I can, but I didn't know the general batch of PS2 games were mostly 60 fps.

When I got a PS2, my starting games were Gran Turismo 3, NFL 2k2, Ace Combat 4, TM Black, DMC. All fantastic games. And yeah, all 60 fps.

Trimesh

Banned
I always try to skew to 60 fps games if I can, but I didn't know the general batch of PS2 games were mostly 60 fps.

When I got a PS2, my starting games were Gran Turismo 3, NFL 2k2, Ace Combat 4, TM Black, DMC. All fantastic games. And yeah, all 60 fps.

I made the mistake of getting it at the Japanese launch - I think I got Ridge Racer V, Street Fighter and Eternal Ring - my initial impression was pretty bad, but the PS2 ended up being one of my favorite consoles.

The best selling console of all time had the highest % of 60fps 3D games than any other console.

Yet some people still buy the “most people don’t notice/care about framerate” nonsense.

Last edited:
Ridge racer was the game that made PS2 worth it at launch for me...that series is a blast.

I'll be honest...as a PC guy, I was a big AA fan, and ps2 was really jaggy in early games. I took for granted how many games had good frames rates.

Top Bottom