• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Prima Games] Starfield Should Have a 60 FPS Performance Mode

RyanEvans21

The people have the same eyes. if 30fps wasn't a 'stuttery mess' and 'unplayable' in Zelda TOTK, then it certainly can't be described as unplayable in Starfield.

'The most powerful console' still had to make do with an affordable Zen 2 CPU and RDNA 2 GPU combo from 2020. Do we now demand for full path-tracing in all games because the current consoles were marketed as a powerfiul leap in processing power?

Digital Foundry showed off Star Citizen chugging at 17fps in some sections with a Zen 2 CPU roughly equivalent to that in the PS5 and Series X.
Bottlenecks can exist if the game is CPU bound.
Scam Citizen still on Alpha State for 10 yrs now :messenger_tears_of_joy:

skit_data

Todd Howard confirmed that Starfield had the capability to reach 60 FPS on the Xbox Series X. Todd Howard said, “Fortunately in this one, we’ve got it running great. It’s often running way above that. Sometimes it’s 60.
I don't know if "sometimes it's 60" is an indication that the game could run at 60fps overall. What a wierd conclusion.

They should make a 40 fps mode though, or at least provide a unlocked framerate mode for VRR-capable TV owners. The framerate didn't really look like a locked 30fps though, so it's possible it simply dips too low too often.

Ozriel

M$FT
GTA 5,Witcher 3,Ghost of Tsushima,Horizon,Horizon Forbidden West,Spider-Man,Nba 2k,Demon's Souls,Diablo 4 Etc....

He specifically mentioned 'past generations'
GTA 5 was 30fps on 360 and PS3
Ghost of Tsushima and Spiderman were 30fps games. Framerate bumps from next gen consoles post release don't count.

RyanEvans21

He specifically mentioned 'past generations'
GTA 5 was 30fps on 360 and PS3
Ghost of Tsushima and Spiderman were 30fps games. Framerate bumps from next gen consoles post release don't count.
Now lets compare Old Gen Spec VS Current Gen Spec? Its' Massive Right?

Why its not count? Frame rate and Resolution upgrade and more of those games.

Witcher 3,GTA 5,Cyberpunk also Resolution and Frame rate Upgrade too! so it dont count?

Last edited:

Edder1

Lots of pointless arguments here. You're not getting 60fps in $500 console today or tomorrow on a demanding game unless something like frame generation is used. Even with frame generation you will want the game to be running at consistent 45fps at least before you use the tech, otherwise you will have high input latency that will ruin the experience anyway. If 60fps option is what people want then they will have to be okay with Spiderman 2 level graphics, but we've seen enough discussions to know that lots of people will be unhappy with that level of fidelity this gen.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

GTA 5,Witcher 3,Ghost of Tsushima,Horizon,Horizon Forbidden West,Spider-Man,Nba 2k,Demon's Souls,Diablo 4 Etc....

The Witcher 3 is 30 on XBX. Ghost of Tsushima is 30 on PS4. Horizon is 30 on PS4. Forbidden West is a PS4 game that runs at 30 on PS4. Both Spiderman are PS4 games that run at 30. Demon Souls isn't open world. Diablo 4 is a PS4 game that runs at 30. A bunch of PS4 quality games that can run at 60 on a PS5 is nothing special. Assassins Creed Black Flag was a PS3 game that ran at 60 on PS4. See the pattern?

Last edited:

RyanEvans21

The Witcher 3 is 30 on XBX. Ghost of Tsushima is 30 on PS4. Horizon is 30 on PS4. Forbidden West is a PS4 game that runs at 30 on PS4. Both Spiderman are PS4 games that run at 30. Demon Souls isn't open world. Diablo 4 is a PS4 game that runs at 30.

It's Jaguar CPU what do you expect? Now Both console using 4 or 6x times more powerful.

Its big achievement for them (Developers) to manage to lock 30 fps on weak cpu. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
A locked 30 > fluctuating 30 ~ 60 all the time.

This was definitely not the case at all for me with the XVI demo. The locked 30 (though it wasn't even locked afaik) <<< than the 30 (20?)-60.

Could just also be the terrible motion blur they used but I think it's just 3D games at 30fps where the entire image changes at a very fast rate are not for me anymore.

Roxkis_ii

$500 never got you 60 in any of the past generations.
Basketball Ok GIF by Malcolm France

Mister Wolf

Did they confirm it?

They did a pixel count and they came up with 1296p using temporal upscaling to a 4K output. The GPU in that console is getting hammered if they have to resort to such a low input resolution. It's not really surprising since they opted to use tessellation which has always been a very GPU intensive feature. The Creation Engine has always taxed CPUs.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Prima joining the clickbait game I see.

It's not locked 30 though, it's capped at 30.
You don't understand how that works do you? You can't actually lock a framerate. A "locked" 30 is just a 30 cap where the game is always hitting 30+ frames.

Last edited:

X-Wing

Prima joining the clickbait game I see.

You don't understand how that works do you? You can't actually lock a framerate. A "locked" 30 is just a 30 cap where the game is always hitting 30+ frames.
You will see that many here referred to locked at 30 as meaning that it is 30 all the time. When that is not the case. 30 is only the highest it will reach but it fluctuates under that.

Last edited:
Which one of those games is on as large a scale as Starfield?

Also, to those complaining about a lack of 60fps, providing mod support is there on release, you do realise that modders will remove the 30fps cap within a couple of days/weeks?

Last edited:
Imagine doubting God Howard and the gift he and his team are about to bestow upon us.

If the CPU were capable of a steady higher frame rate I’m sure they’d have that option. Maybe they’ll add it down the line.

RyRy93

Todd Howard: “4K at 60fps”
Reality: “1292p at 25fps”

When will people learn, hope it’s a good game though

nemiroff

Gold Member
Do people really think Bethesda didn't think of that?

The game doesn't run at 60. They have been working on it for 8 years and it doesn't run at 60. They're not doing it to fuck with you.
Yeah, Todd is apparently stealing the frames and keeping them for himself.. Any sane person would understand that the narrative is..INsane.

None of these sites were saying anything about 30fps when they were giving 10/10 to Zelda just a little while ago.

Moreover, it even looks like this @30 fps and 720p-900p:
rsDo0oX.png

Disclaimer: I'm not bashing Nintendo, they did what they could, and I love TotK, plus the art is fantastic. ALSO, I can't even stand 30fps (I'm a PC gamer with a 4090). But context is important. So I'm mostly addressing dreamcastguy-like triggered fanboys and their BS.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
While i also want a performance options for Starfield, i think we had several threads on this topic already, no need IMO to have more, it can be discussed in previous threads.

Roxkis_ii

Yeah, Todd is apparently stealing the frames and keeping them for himself.. Any sane person would understand that the narrative is..INsane.

Moreover, it even looks like this @30 fps and 720p-900p:
rsDo0oX.png

Disclaimer: I'm not bashing Nintendo, they did what they could, and I love TotK, plus the art is fantastic. ALSO, I can't even stand 30fps (I'm a PC gamer with a 4090). But context is important. So I'm mostly addressing dreamcastguy-like triggered fanboys and their BS.
Most current gen games include a performance mode. I don't think most people have that expectation of games on mobile consoles.

Fredrik

If the game is a creative choice of 30fps then it should be 30 on pc no?

Lol.
The creative choice talk is about fidelity and game systems, can’t reach 60+ fps at all time for a 60fps cap with everything intact.
It’s no different than Driveclub on PS3, Halo 4 on 360, TLOUP2 on PS4, etc. It’s not like 60fps couldn’t be done, it’s always possible, but not without scaling something back. And they don’t seem to want to do that, that’s where the creative choice come in.

On PC it’ll hopefully be 100+ fps, with the right hardware. Hoping for DLSS3 frame generation but that’s probably not happening or Nvidia would’ve shouted from the roof tops about it.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
Do these people think 60 fps is just something that you can have without any issues?
These are the same people that scream about gameplay issues, when 60fps makes a mess.
30fps vs 60fps has been a mistake for gaming.
I think we'll know more if Starfield could ran at 60fps when the game released and played on a PC equivalent to XSX. I hope they at least will try and add things like FSR to console version in the future, or add modes like 40fps or unlocked framerate.

feynoob

Banned
I think we'll know more if Starfield could ran at 60fps when the game released and played on a PC equivalent to XSX. I hope they at least will try and add things like FSR to console version in the future, or add modes like 40fps or unlocked framerate.
We might get those in the future as time goes on. I dont think they will leave it like for a long time, unless there is some series block road which they cant fix.

oji-san

Banned
$500 never got you 60 in any of the past generations.
300 bucks phone never got me great camera and fast phone etc in the past, so?
Also past consoles didn't give me SSD.
Better HW and greater expectations, especially after 95% of games being 60fps the last almost 3 years on SX/PS5.
Not to say it will always stay like this but i can relate when people wants more options.

Mister Wolf

Its already using temporal upscaling from a base resolution of 1296p to output 4K. Something is hammering the GPU. Probably tessellation among other things.
300 bucks phone never got me great camera and fast phone etc in the past, so?
Also past consoles didn't give me SSD.
Better HW and greater expectations, especially after 95% of games being 60fps the last almost 3 years on SX/PS5.
Not to say it will always stay like this but i can relate when people wants more options.

The software always ends up matching the hardware's capabilities with higher settings for said software being reserved for PC. Those higher settings later become the base for the next generation of consoles. Nothing has changed. The majority of games these past three years are last gen games. The PS4 also had ports of PS3 games running at 60fps.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I don't think FSR is gonna help this cause much. The implication is that it's just very CPU bound, so dropping resolution isn't going to be enough to get past the CPU bottleneck.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Most current gen games include a performance mode. I don't think most people have that expectation of games on mobile consoles.

I can only shudder by the thought of a "performance mode" in Starfield.. I think even I as a PC gamer would take 30 fps over that.. And that's one of the points that some of us are trying get some people to understand.

The game has a framerate going from 30 to ~70fps. It's partially caused by the backend doing a lot of CPU intensive work trying to keep track of the detailed physics based persistent universe and AI tracking (plus of course their GI solution is pretty heavy GPU stuff for an open world). You can't just magically slap on a "performance mode" on it without it possibly resulting in something no one would want to play.

And I guess that's what Howard is trying to say. For the XSX he wanted a certain baseline fidelity as a BGS game, plus contemporary graphics and contemporary gameplay. A performance mode may not have yielded the result that we sometimes project from a random action game.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

I can only shudder by the thought of a "performance mode" in Starfield.. I think even I as a PC gamer would take 30 fps over that.. And that's one of the points that some of us are trying get some people to understand.

That's fine, but most people still want the option to choose. That's the great thing bout options, you can choose what you like, and I can choose what I like.

sendit

I would definitely take performance mode if it meant reducing visual fidelity for a smoother 60 FPS experience on consoles.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Starfield (and all games) should have what its developers think is appropriate for their own game, not what a rando writing for "primagames" thinks it should have without any knowledge whatsoever about game development or about the inner workings of this specific game.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
I would definitely take performance mode if it meant reducing visual fidelity for a smoother 60 FPS experience on consoles.

I agree. Options are in general indeed almost always good, and on PC I'm an fps elitist. But the point was that the game is backend heavy, a performance mode in this game may not have been possible without also changing the game in 30fps mode.

Could it f.ex. mean a less persistent universe? Less contemporary vfx?

mrlivBo.png

sYukQ9r.png

Not meant for microscope use, but you can probably see they've changed the look of the game by introducing more vfx, and GI is a likely important part of that. Point is, if you've hardcoded your vfx and spent a considerable amount of CPU and GPU resources on tailoring the atmosphere of the game to your creative specs, can you imagine the pop-in and resolution reduction that you would have to implement to compensate for that.. How could you even creatively endure. And the drama it would create..

Edit: And also, XSS..

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Starfield (and all games) should have what its developers think is appropriate for their own game, not what a rando writing for "primagames" thinks it should have without any knowledge whatsoever about game development or about the inner workings of this specific game.
They also make a product for the consumer. This isn't being hung up in The Louvre.

Mister Wolf

I noticed that.

The "12.15TF 120Hz VRR" performance flexers, sure did settle for and push "30fps artistic choice/vision" in an instant. I wonder why that is?

🤔🤭

If anything once the framerate gets unlocked either by Bethesda or modders the VRR enthusiasts will be out in full force praising their acquisition of a VRR capable display. To the people that attempt to play it unlocked without VRR, they're in for a horrible experience.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Do these people think 60 fps is just something that you can have without any issues?
These are the same people that scream about gameplay issues, when 60fps makes a mess.
30fps vs 60fps has been a mistake for gaming.

Your post explains EXACTLY why I hate all these 60 fps nutcases.

Top Bottom