• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Prima Games] Starfield Should Have a 60 FPS Performance Mode

Roberts

So from everything I have read so far, 60fps is out of the question because of CPU bottleneck but I wouldnt mind to have fps unlocked setting. I might be weird that way but I prefer 30-60 fps over a stable 30.

b0uncyfr0

Screenshot-2023-06-19-at-10-53-48.png

Yikes, well that's not good. Since when was a mere 2080 on the same level as a freaking 6800xt..? :messenger_grimmacing_

2080 : 8gb vram, performance equal to a 3060Ti (maybe alil higher)?
The 6800xt :16gb vram. About 20-40% faster than a 2080 (depending on the game)

It is almost two tiers above the 2080 from my quick googling. A 6800xt is basically competing with a 3080 right now.. so that's a huge red flag to me. That screams unoptimized on team red cards.

Could there be any correlation to the 30 fps performance on consoles - since they're also using AMD GPUs?

Here we go with people making excuses for a game to not have options. I wonder if all these same people would feel the same if the game came with no options on PC.
KTGust PC ports are like that. But only weebs play those and we don't have standards :messenger_relieved: You have to old school edit config file.

MikeM

Screenshot-2023-06-19-at-10-53-48.png

Yikes, well that's not good. Since when was a mere 2080 on the same level as a freaking 6800xt..? :messenger_grimmacing_

2080 : 8gb vram, performance equal to a 3060Ti (maybe alil higher)?
The 6800xt :16gb vram. About 20-40% faster than a 2080 (depending on the game)

It is almost two tiers above the 2080 from my quick googling. A 6800xt is basically competing with a 3080 right now.. so that's a huge red flag to me. That screams unoptimized on team red cards.

Could there be any correlation to the 30 fps performance on consoles - since they're also using AMD GPUs?
No one knows. Have to wait until the game comes out.

Talking about AMD GPUs- I bought a 7900xt at launch and am very happy with its performance. If its only going to get better with age, then i’m happy.

Ev1L AuRoN

30 is fine is just an excuse of fanboys. And I love that the community is vocal about it, running a game at 30fps is a choice by the developers and that choice is made because for the longest time the industry believed that graphics sell better than performance.

If the industry understands that performance sells better than graphics, the games will have great performance. I have no doubt games can look a lot better if 30fps became the target again. But my point is, we have gorgeous games like Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart, Horizon Forbidden West and Forza Horizon. All running at 60fps, I'm okay with the level of fidelity these games have. Most games don't even reach that level of polish, look at Forza 8, that game looks amazing and it runs at 60. My point is, we can have amazing games running at 60, or have slightly better looking games at 30. (diminish return results).

On PC I run every game at 60, because on PC I'm allowed to sacrifice graphics to a massive degree to achieve that if necessary, I just want that option to exist on consoles. Give us a quality preset with the creator intended visuals. But also gives us a performance mode, it doesn't matter how compromised it will be, just allow us to experience the game the way we want it.

Last edited:
The dumbest part of this whole debate is as soon as the modding tools come out you can bet uncapped framerate is going to be one of the first mods out for Xbox since it’s an easy change. If you want your wildly fluctuating 60 cap you’re going to get it regardless of whether Bethesda makes an option for it.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The dumbest part of this whole debate is as soon as the modding tools come out you can bet uncapped framerate is going to be one of the first mods out for Xbox since it’s an easy change. If you want your wildly fluctuating 60 cap you’re going to get it regardless of whether Bethesda makes an option for it.
Isn't that why there's VRR?

We better hope 30 doesn't wildly fluctuate.

Isn't that why there's VRR?

We better hope 30 doesn't wildly fluctuate.
Yeah, since Xbox does VRR at a system level it won’t matter if it’s a mod. Bethesda just doesn’t want to put their stamp on it basically, if you use any mod they make it pretty clear it’s untested from their end every time you search at least in Fallout 4 and Skyrim.

Last edited:

proandrad

I want every game at 60fps minimum. But my bigger issue is that there hasn’t been a game this generation that is visually mind blowing enough to justify a 30fps cap. HorizonFW has set a high bar and the performance mode in that game looks better than anything that has come out.

feynoob

Banned
HorizonFW has set a high bar and the performance mode in that game looks better than anything that has come out
If you like visuals, maybe.
But games are not visuals. They need to have good gameplays and good story.
HFW lacks in the story department, which makes it's graphic visuals pointless.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Im no techie, but people say X cant do 60 fps due to cpu load.

So if Bethesda did an optional 1080p mode on X, 60 fps still cant happen?

sendit

If you like visuals, maybe.
But games are not visuals. They need to have good gameplays and good story.
HFW lacks in the story department, which makes it's graphic visuals pointless.
This post is also pointless because we are discussing visuals/performance. Not story.

Cyberpunkd

Do these people think 60 fps is just something that you can have without any issues?
These are the same people that scream about gameplay issues, when 60fps makes a mess.
30fps vs 60fps has been a mistake for gaming.
Did you read the article? If Howard said Starfield almost reached 60FPS at 4K why not decrease the resolution to 1080p (1/4 of the pixel count compared to 4K) and lock it to 60FPS?

TonyK

Now it uses a locked 30fps that works pretty fine, so there are almost no complaints. I'm totally sure if it had a performance mode with unstable 60fps, there will be a lot of complaints about performance, like for Jedi Survivor, a game that worked perfectly at 30fps but was considered a no buy game because its inconsistent 60fos mode.
I agree with adding performance modes when they work properly, if not, it can hurt your product.

TonyK

Did you read the article? If Howard said Starfield almost reached 60FPS at 4K why not decrease the resolution to 1080p (1/4 of the pixel count compared to 4K) and lock it to 60FPS?
Because if it's CPU bounded that will not matter, and that seems the problem with this game and Baldur's Gate III Act 3.

DJ12

Nah, first thing they'll do is find out why it runs like a turd, correct Bethesdas mistakes and let everyone enjoy decent performance, even when running on Potatoes.

The game is no looker and shouldn't be this bad. My gpu matches the recommended spec, and cpu far exceeds a 3600x, but I can only get anywhere near 60 with everything set to low and res scaling set to 0.50 @ 1440p. And this is just in the mine section.

nikos

The ship's reticle feels so freaking janky because it refreshes at 30 FPS, even on PC. I can't imagine playing the entire game like that.

feynoob

Banned
And people will complain about that too.
You cant satisfy everyone.

StueyDuck

it doesn't run at 60 on PC at 1080p on some of the beefiest builds, what hope in hell does a SS or SX have of achieving 60.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
it doesn't run at 60 on PC at 1080p on some of the beefiest builds, what hope in hell does a SS or SX have of achieving 60.
That’s the point. What’s this game doing differently that it’s destroying the best GPU’s? I quite want to play this game, I don’t have a PC or a Series X. I was wanting to purchase a Series X at some point this generation, however if the showpiece titles are running a gimped version, then I would rather wait and probably invest in a PC rather than get in at a mid point (Series X) and be in that eco-system.

I know that I’m in the vast minority but it would attract me a lot more if they put heavier emphasis on getting games to perform better on console.

I can live with 1440P and even 1080p in circumstances but I want the option available in consoles going forward and hopefully devs see that. Otherwise I’ll go full PC and then still be unable to run games properly cause they’re using unoptimised 20 year old engines 😂

Top Bottom