• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Series S worth it?

If you can't stretch for X, absolutely go for it.

Personally I think it works better as minimalistic, solo machine, with no other system to distract you.

There is nothing better if you want simple, no nonsense machine.

spons

Gold Member
Works fine for me, but now that feature parity is ditched I suppose in absolute terms, the value of the machine is less than that of the Series X.
Just make sure you're fine with less graphical fidelity, also in backwards compatible games which play in a lower resolution than even the One X.

I think it’s at least $100 USD too expensive and really needs to be dropped on price more than that.
$159.99. Is what it should beprices at for me to think it’s worth it.

spons

Gold Member
I think it’s at least $100 USD too expensive and really needs to be dropped on price more than that.
$159.99. Is what it should beprices at for me to think it’s worth it.
I agree, especially the 1TB version is just way too expensive for the hardware it offers. A 100 bucks more than it gets you a PS5.

LordOfChaos

It's a perfectly fine machine to add to your PS5 for Xbox Gamepass

Do I notice the visual cut, yes, but it still keeps most of what is current gen

ReBurn

Gold Member
Wait until Black Friday and get it really cheap.
This. Or get a cheap one second hand.

I like mine a lot, but I got it for free. It has done a solid job of every game I've played on it. I have it connected to a 1080p TV and most bigger games are 30 FPS but it does an ok job. For most of what's on gamepass, which is what you say you're interested in, it will do a good job.

It was great when ms allowed emulation, but now it’s kind of crap unless you there is 6-7 Xbox exclusive games ur interested in, I would avoid.

TheKratos

Absolutely not. Save a few bux more and buy the X. If you jump from a PS5 game to Series S the performance hit will be extra brutal and you would regret not going for the X.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It was great when ms allowed emulation, but now it’s kind of crap unless you there is 6-7 Xbox exclusive games ur interested in, I would avoid.
You can still use it for emulation. You just have to pay $20 one time to switch between dev mode and retail mode.

Sethbacca

I had one for a bit, got it when it was under $200 on a whim. Used it a little bit but barely, and mostly for emulation of retro systems. Once MS started cracking down on that I didn't feel like dealing with dev mode and traded it in when Gamestop had the $250 trade in deal. Realistically, if you have even a moderately decent older PC you can get the same gaming experience, the real question is whether you want a plug and play experience on your tv.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I think it's hilarious that people keep calling this a “Gamepass machine”. It is literally the single worst system for Gamepass.
Its a perfectly capable gamepass/xcloud machine to pair with a PS5 to play gamepass stuff cheaply as long as expectations are kept in check

Rykan

I think the fact that 75% of xbox owners have bought a series S this gen is facts enough tbh

It might be "worse", but the series S is the sole reason gamepass hasn't completely flopped this gen
This number is referring to Xbox series sales over a particular period. Not series consoles as a whole. We don't know the exact split of Series S/Series X sales.
Its a perfectly capable gamepass/xcloud machine to pair with a PS5 to play gamepass stuff cheaply as long as expectations are kept in check
Sure, it's capable of it, but that doesn't change the fact that every single other platform Gamepass is available on is better suited for it. Gamepass allows you to download and play a lot of games. Series S console has the lowest SSD space available, and every game you play on it will be the worst version of that game. The only reason people call it a "Gamepass" machine is because it doesn't have a disk drive. Every other aspect of the console is uniquely unsuitable to take advantage of most of Gamepass' benefits.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I played Starfield over XCloud before it released on Geforce Now. Apparently XCloud instances are Series S performance profiles.

The graphics were bad and the framerate was awful. It hit the threshold of playable but that was about it. Not recommended.

phant0m

do what i did, get a second hand series s to see how much you play it along with game pass ultimate naturally.

by the time you want to upgrade to an X you can resell it for similar to what you paid in the first place.

as a tiny little ultra silent game pass box that basically costs nothing to run in electricity its great for the money, its just not best suited as a main console.
Yup. PC/PS5 are my main systems. I have a Series S as a media console and Game Pass machine. No complaints and definitely worth. The new UI is even finally decent

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I played Starfield over XCloud before it released on Geforce Now. Apparently XCloud instances are Series S performance profiles.

The graphics were bad and the framerate was awful. It hit the threshold of playable but that was about it. Not recommended.
You are correct XCloud is powered by Series X series but run as Series S profiles.

My experience is way different playing on a Series S that my nephew brought over

He was into games very fast and even on one of my 4k TVs even a game like Flight Sim looked and ran fairly decently but all of this may revolve around me having 5 gig speeds internet as well

twilo99

I’m not sure why a lot of people think it only works on a 1080p panel, I’ve got mine hooked to a 4k tv and I don’t see any major issues unless you pixel peep.

Absolutely not. Buy a second hand Series X for around the same price of a new Series S.

Buying a used series s for under $200 and spending the rest on gamepass also applies.. that’s what I did and it’s working out for me.

As an owner of a Series S, I bought mine for $150 from Verizon when they had a flash deal, and it's been worth every penny. Between gamepass and being able to try games via the cloud and being able to play and sync my game saves while away from my console is a huge plus and a great experience. Only word of advice, buy it for cheap if you can.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

Can we hide all the messages from people judging but who 1) never played the machine, 2) never played more than 10 hours on it ? I mean the meaningless comments.

Markio128

will ferrell step brothers movie GIF

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I’m not sure why a lot of people think it only works on a 1080p panel, I’ve got mine hooked to a 4k tv and I don’t see any major issues unless you pixel peep.
100% agree and have said this before when it was hooked up to my TV and having the Series X sitting next to it if you left the room and let me switch consoles and ask a person walking in and standing at a regular TV distance they would be hard pressed to pick which was which

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
As long as you understand that you are going to get cut features. Not guaranteed 60 fps on all games etc then I think it's a great ourchase and an awesome machine.

I own two now.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
You are correct XCloud is powered by Series X series but run as Series S profiles.

My experience is way different playing on a Series S that my nephew brought over

He was into games very fast and even on one of my 4k TVs even a game like Flight Sim looked and ran fairly decently but all of this may revolve around me having 5 gig speeds internet as well
Not an internet issue.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Old games, emulation and cross gen (which is almost everything)

Series S is awesome.....Series X is the system I don't think is worth it at all

you can even stream 12tflops games via game pass

Series X is not worth it because of the Series S.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Not an internet issue.
I will admit I haven't tried Starfield over Xcloud and most games we played were not terribly demanding outside of Flight Sim which surprised me how well it ran and how quickly he would get into the scenarios as we competed who could get the better grades at extremely hard landings

Kataploom

Gold Member
Performance is lackluster but if you're ok with 30fps, lower settings and no raytracing then I don't see why not. If you just want to try gamepass but dont have the means for an X at the moment maybe just try GPU for a month and stream a couple of games to see what it's like.
So any console lol.

Series S is great if you want a cheap console that gets all games, specially if you play on a 1080p or 1440p screen, like a PC monitor as many people currently do. I've noticed there are lots of people which gaming setup is a PC desk + PC chair + PC Monitor + Consoles instead of PC lol, that may be the reason why Series S is selling well in 3rd world countries.

Banjo64

cumsessed
It is fine for the price point, and you get to play a ton of BC games (One, 360, OG) as well. This is less than 300$ with a great controller.
It’s fine that you have that opinion. In my opinion I’d just stick with a PS5 if I was the OP (y)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
As long as you understand that you are going to get cut features. Not guaranteed 60 fps on all games etc then I think it's a great ourchase and an awesome machine.

I own two now.
Agreed as long as people understand that going in then its a great machine for what its aimed to do

Ignore the PR stuff which hurt this machine a lot

OrtizTwelve

It's a very good machine for the price. First party XBOX games all run and look great. If your intention is mostly gamepass titles, you won't be disappointed.

Yes, it's not Series X hardware, but that's not the point of the Series S. In most cases, visual differences between Series S and Series X versions aren't that noticeable if you're a casual gamer.

Last edited:
As a budget gamer looking to cut costs and don't mind 1080/30 fps - obviously, yes.

Wanting better graphics/performance out of those huge AAA games is also valid while saving up for a sale.

My question is really just how bad do you want to series/game pass train?

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
100%. Best purchase I made since Nintendo DS. You already have a PS5, so I doubt you will buy a lot or dedicate enough time to it for even care about graphical performance. You can subscribe for game pass for a month, test every you want and then go back to PS5 until the selection changes significantly.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Series x is bigger faster and stronger but I will say series s can play games, its a capable machine.

MarkMe2525

My daughter has the S and I have the X. I play on it every once in awhile. It really is perfectly adequate and a neat little machine. Not once did I think I was missing out on anything when I spend time with it.

cireza

It’s fine that you have that opinion. In my opinion I’d just stick with a PS5 if I was the OP (y)
And never get to experience Panzer Dragoon Orta in 4K@60fps ? Sonic Generations in 4K@60fps ? FF XIII trilogy in 4K@60fps ? FF XII as well ? Jet Set Radio ? Guardian Heroes ? Otogi ? Etc...

It is worth it even only for the BC effort, and you get first party games that run really well.

If OP has the time available, it will definitely expand his horizons, rather than being stuck on PS5.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
Is it 30fps across all the main first party titles? Gears, Halo etc.

Most games which are 60 on X are 60 on S, it's only a few that aren't AFAIK. Check on a case by case basis but unless it's changed since I last paid attention, 30 is the exception unless it's also 30 on the X. (For both first and third party.)

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Hello glorious hive mind.

Just wanted to ask people with a Series S if it’s worth it? Please, save the console warfare; just genuine advice.

I have a PS5 but am tempted with Gamepass. Can’t really stretch to a Series X at the moment, but am keen to get an idea of Series S performance.

If the Series S is too lacklustre, I’ll wait a few months and pick up the X.
Save up cash and get X.

Not only much more powerful, but it has a disc drive (if you care), and also 1TB space. The 512gb Series S SSD is really like 400 I think after all the OS overhead. You can only get S/X system benefits when games are installed on the SSD. 400 gb is not a lot of space for gaming since some games are 100 gb alone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom