• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

is this sales chart totally accurate?

mansoor1980

Gold Member
273561352_4973608639367832_5401434460576744602_n.jpg

i just came across this image and was shocked to look at the PSP numbers at 82 million , i thought it would be around 40 million at best

if it really is 82 million then all i can say to SONY is
908f487e-063c-46f7-b753-9ff003acaafd_text.gif

It's close, yes.

PSP was awesome, but that number is misleading. A ton of those PSPs were sold just to be jailbroken. If a console was only going to be used to pirate games, Sony probably would rather have not sold the unit at all.

Vita was awesome too and definitely deserved better. It was easily a better handheld than 3DS (tech-wise, form factor, etc). The proprietary memory card really hurt it, as did Sony giving up on it way too early after the PS4's strong start.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
It's close, yes.

PSP was awesome, but that number is misleading. A ton of those PSPs were sold just to be jailbroken. If a console was only going to be used to pirate games, Sony probably would rather have not sold the unit at all.

Vita was awesome too and definitely deserved better. It was easily a better handheld than 3DS (tech-wise, form factor, etc). The proprietary memory card really hurt it, as did Sony giving up on it way too early after the PS4's strong start.
The Vita was more premium feeling than the Switch too. What I’d give for Nintendo to put out a piece of hardware with that build quality and Sony’s online infrastructure (handles/messaging/voice chat/trophies etc). I don’t even think Sony needed to devote full teams to it, just small sub teams making little games would have been great and like you say, standard SD cards too. Such a bummer that Sony will probably never make another hand held.

Bragr

Banned
The PSP was a big deal, amazing tech at the time, but the Vita was so expensive and high-end that the profit margin was too low with the sales they got and they made so much more money on consoles that they didn't see the reason to keep producing handhelds. But yeah, Sony did mess up after the PSP, they had something going there on the handheld front.

There is also something to be said for Sony making more expensive games on their handhelds while not getting close to the software sales on the DS, it just wasn't worth it.

ParaSeoul

PSP was really popular,gets overshadowed by the DS but that also appealed to a more casual market. For all intents and purposes it was a portable PS2.

Robb

Gold Member
Yeah it looks fairly up to date. I remember PSP selling around 80M, it was a great little system.

It’s too bad the PS Vita flop discouraged Sony from doing portables. Vita was such a steal in regards to the hardware they put in it.

Last edited:

Three

273561352_4973608639367832_5401434460576744602_n.jpg

i just came across this image and was shocked to look at the PSP numbers at 82 million , i thought it would be around 40 million at best

if it really is 82 million then all i can say to SONY is
908f487e-063c-46f7-b753-9ff003acaafd_text.gif
PSP was popular but there was market contraction.

Nintendo DS: 154M
PSP: 82M

Nintendo 3DS:...
PSVita:...

Vita didn't hit PSPs 82M and they stopped making handhelds.

Top Bottom