• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Isle of Dogs - I dunno, kind of tone deaf

Well yes, this is unsolicited, and just my opinion. I watched a film yesterday.

Wes Anderson's well received stop motion film set in Japan. Why doth the whole situation require a rude white girl to curb stomp it into order? I know the reputation of the Japanese is that they don't want to rock the boat, but did this film really require a white saviour, a young girl who must harangue a country of her elders into changing their ways when nobody else dared? Did she really need to slap research assistant Yoko Ono voiced by Yoko Ono out of her helpless alcohol abuse? Oh my, what would have happened if not for the pre teen Sensei~

Lots of people are leaking corporate scandals here these days, the culture is built around problem solving, but in this case the Japanese boy is an honourbound automaton, so are the dogs, so is pretty much everyone.

Except this boss:

giphy.gif

I reckon people might reasonably think this movie is Wes' love letter to quirky neo-medieval Japan, they could be right, but it's kind of tone deaf.

I could have completely misjudged this, I'm not looking to trigger anyone, just my two cents, unlooked for.

One of my favorite Wes Anderson films, probably top 3. I love everything he does, admittedly.

at release, I do remember reading some critics who expresses similar thoughts as the OP. I remember one in particular was critical of the lack of Japanese actors involved in a story that takes place in Japan. I dunno, I never really focus on stuff like that too much, for me it was just a really thoughtful, quirky, Wes Anderson flick.

JLMC469

Banned
Watched 10 minutes and turned the tv off. Like most Wes Anderson’s films, got bored rather quickly. Very overrated filmmaker IMO.

Papa

Banned
One of my favorite Wes Anderson films, probably top 3. I love everything he does, admittedly.

at release, I do remember reading some critics who expresses similar thoughts as the OP. I remember one in particular was critical of the lack of Japanese actors involved in a story that takes place in Japan. I dunno, I never really focus on stuff like that too much, for me it was just a really thoughtful, quirky, Wes Anderson flick.

Actors? It was animated

Top Bottom