• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It’s surprising to me how people think shows like Maury were real

Mondai

Shows like Maury and Steve Wilkos were mostly either stage or heavily exaggerated for drama. The audience was paid to be there, etc. but some people still believe they were real. I am glad these shows are no longer doing any new stuff, Maury and Wilkos are evil people who took advantage of desperate people to make fun of them on TV (and Wilkos is a former cop and a piece of shit).

Forgive my ramble , I was just reading up on what Wilkos and his crew did to people and it infuriates me.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Fathers Day Dance GIF by The Maury Show
you are not the father fails GIF by The Maury Show
Happy Maury Povich GIF
maury you are not the father GIF

Synless

I’d say it’s real because I watch people in real life… same reactions. I see women aborting babies to spite significant others, multi gender/species creatures, men abandoning women and vice versa for little to no reason, cuckcolding got popular amongst beta males. How isn’t Maury real?

demigod

I thought all TV shows/game shows paid their audience to be there?

Weird to mention Maury / Steve and not Jerry Springer, where Steve came from.

Mondai

I thought all TV shows/game shows paid their audience to be there?

Weird to mention Maury / Steve and not Jerry Springer, where Steve came from.
I most biased towards Wilkos since I’ve seen the stuff he’s done to one of his guests and his buddy Dan Ribacoff is a piece of shit.

LegendOfKage

Gold Member
On the bright side, these shows did give us one of Weird Al's greatest originals:

As to the "reality" of those shows, I always assumed the people and situations were real, but the producers made darn sure everyone on the show would have a "big" reaction. My guess was always people running the show went to the guests before each episode, showed them clips of previous big reactions, told them they were looking for that. I'd also assume that if guests weren't being "entertaining" enough, their segments wouldn't make it onto television.

So yeah, ultimately that's not very real at all.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
First they came for survivor and said it was all just editing, and I didn't speak out because those only an idiot thought that crap was real

Then they came for Springer and said it was staged, and I didn't speak out and said "well, it kinda makes sense"

Then they came for WWE and said it was all rehearsed, and there was no one left to speak out....

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Jenny Jones for example was at least semi-real and that started at the same time as Maury so there is a good chance that early Maury was semi-real.

GeekyDad

Shows like Maury and Steve Wilkos were mostly either stage or heavily exaggerated for drama. The audience was paid to be there, etc. but some people still believe they were real. I am glad these shows are no longer doing any new stuff, Maury and Wilkos are evil people who took advantage of desperate people to make fun of them on TV (and Wilkos is a former cop and a piece of shit).

Forgive my ramble , I was just reading up on what Wilkos and his crew did to people and it infuriates me.

"It’s surprising to me how people think shows like Maury were real"

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I’d say it’s real because I watch people in real life… same reactions. I see women aborting babies to spite significant others, multi gender/species creatures, men abandoning women and vice versa for little to no reason, cuckcolding got popular amongst beta males. How isn’t Maury real?
This is either a great joke or saddeningly demented.

Top Bottom