• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's a shame Nintendo never did much with Mario Maker 2 in terms of DLC

Knightime_X

I was ready to spend a small fortune on characters, parts, levels and mechanics dlc.
I hope they make a Mario Maker 3 for Nintendo's next console and actually support it tenfold and not just with 1 or 2 measly free updates.
Give me ALL THE GOODS.

I will buy it.

cireza

Mario Maker was made for the Wii U Gamepad with the stylus and corresponding touch screen technology in mind.

On Switch, I get that it is either touch screen with fingers or TV mode (so no touch screen). Must be a nightmare.

I just never had any interest in 2, since no GamePad. They did what they could making it work with button and stick controls, but nothing will ever replace the experience of making levels with the GamePad and stylus, then setting the GamePad to your side, and picking up a Pro Controller to play the levels. RInse, repeat. It was truly great. I just think it's a concept best left for hardware that doesn't require the touch screen to be covered by a dock. It's a shame the first one didn't get the exposure it deserved because the Wii U was such a terrible console, in most ways.

Last edited:

Codes 208

I think the problem is they cannibalized their own sales by porting smbwu since they both were essentially targeting the same audience.

Imo mm2 is the superior game but i guess wanting to make your own levels is niche compared to a more classic game

Synless

My kids love this game, creating their own levels and competing in them.

It is a shame it quit being supported. I would bet the active users would pay for the dlc.

Mario 2, Yoshi’s island, shit even game boy Mario’s would have been great additions.

Bragr

Banned
Nintendo has this pattern with a lot of its games, they do some good DLCs once in a while, but it feels like they are just flirting with what's possible.

I still can't understand why they never did any new Super Mario Odyssey levels.

It's weird considering Super Smash Bros. has some of the best DLC hype in video game history.

april6e

Nintendo is annoying like this. They are still hesitant to do DLC stuff the huge success of the Zelda DLC.

If they made a Zelda maker, it would sell like gangbusters.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I think the sales were sorta disappointing to them. They expected it to be bigger.

Nintendo is making really weird decisions with DLC and supporting games. Like their Mario sports game releasing with barebones content and then adding it for a year. Or Animal Crossing selling 40m, and one DLC pack.

Smash is the only one that did it sorta right, but that's prob because of Sakurai.

Could also be limited resources, and thinking it's better to save it to Mario Maker 3.

Last edited:

sainraja

I just never had any interest in 2, since no GamePad. They did what they could making it work with button and stick controls, but nothing will ever replace the experience of making levels with the GamePad and stylus, then setting the GamePad to your side, and picking up a Pro Controller to play the levels. RInse, repeat. It was truly great. I just think it's a concept best left for hardware that doesn't require the touch screen to be covered by a dock. It's a shame the first one didn't get the exposure it deserved because the Wii U was such a terrible console, in most ways.
Nintendo can still do that without the tablet thing (which I never liked anyway). They can release an app for the iPad and allow people to design their levels there with touch controls.

Last edited:

Woopah

I guess at some point they reckoned that these EPD resources would be better used elsewhere (the impact of COVID could have factored into this).

BlackTron

The one game I should have bought on Wii U, I bought on Switch instead! Wish I'd done that with Mario Kart 8.

Seriously though, I really love this just to play the levels, the "maker" part was a non-starter because obviously the whole point was to do it with a gamepad, but it's excellent just as a collection of Mario levels in varied art styles.

Nintendo can still do that without the tablet thing (which I never liked anyway). They can release an app for the iPad and allow people to design their levels there with touch controls.
Would love to see something like that come to fruition! I’d be all for it.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I hope they move on from this and release a brand new Super Mario Bros 2D its been enough the Wii U one was rad

Good. DLC sucks. Make a new game.

I do not agree with this. Why wait longer for games, force devs to build new engines and content to match etc? I prefer to see 2-4 DLC cycles planned up front, major ones even. When you consider more story, content, maps, feature, fixes, player feedback and growing a community base for a title then DLC and expansions make a lot of sense.

Price gauging is a separate issue but to flip over to zero DLC is too extreme.

It's a shame people complain when a company don't try to nick and dime them. That's what is wrong with the industry.
Mario Maker GaaS. Buy new variations of enemy skins released every season or upgrade your Nintendo Online membership with the Expansion Pack for free season passes.

Neolombax

My son particularly loves this game. He spends most of his time on Switch just creating random levels and gets me to test them out. Still waiting for that sequel if it ever comes out.

tr1p1ex

I thought MM2 would sell better. Not sure exactly why it didn't except I feel like people would rather play content made by Nintendo than the mostly garbage stuff others put out including themselves. My kid liked it tho. HE's 16 now. But I mean he had a blast making stuff and playing all the garbage stuff from others. It is a game he will go back to once in awhile unlike most others.

Last edited:

Lasha

Mario maker had 3 or 4 free updates which added new modes and parts over the course of a year. Are you suggesting that those should have been paid DLC?

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I never actually create levels, but the game is endlessly fun once you find some of the clever creators out there and start following them. Truly amazing puzzle and challenge levels, the creation system is far more flexible than it seems at first.

Top Bottom