• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"it's Poke Eh mon, not Poke EE mon!” Video Game Terms, Words and Names that you've pronounced incorrectly

Back in the 90s and before youtube we really didn't have a place were we could talk about games vocally other than local conversation. Of course that's changed today.

What are some video game terminology and how did you pronounce them over the year?

lachesis

Wolfenstein.
I go with "wolf", not "volf"... Just found out a little while ago, when I watched DF. I've been calling it "Wolf"enstein for several decades now.

Same goes to UBI soft.
I've been calling it You - Bee - Ai soft, not You-Bee soft.

Wunray

Heathen, it's po kay mon not whatever's in the title.
barack obama president GIF

lachesis

It's You-be-soft. The root of Ubi is ubiquitous, as in "ubiquitous software."

Listen to the founder himself pronounce the word:

French accent is optional.

I know that now - I think it's because first time I "saw" the name was back in 95 on one of the videogame magazines (EGM or NextGen, probably) ... I think it was the original Rayman.
If I heard the name first, I probably didn't think of it - but 1995 was way before the days of Youtube.. :)

harmny

Banned
It's You-be-soft. The root of Ubi is ubiquitous, as in "ubiquitous software."

Listen to the founder himself pronounce the word:

French accent is optional.

it's oo bisoft in the original language. french.

yves pronounced it you bi soft becase he was talking in english.

at the end of the day it doesn't matter but we are in this thread so...

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Or is it Poke-uh-mon?

Anyone who says Merry-Oh should be shot on sight.
Who on Earth says Merry-Oh? I say Marry-Oh, as in how it's pronounced at the start of Mario 64 with the accent taken away and replaced with a Southern English one.

Not that I ever played it, but Lumines got pronounced like it was an English word (Loo-Mines) until I saw it pointed out as Loo-min-es).

We might as well take it there as it's going to go that way anyway:

I say SNEZ

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Who on Earth says Merry-Oh? I say Marry-Oh, as in how it's pronounced at the start of Mario 64 with the accent taken away and replaced with a Southern English one.

Not that I ever played it, but Lumines got pronounced like it was an English word (Loo-Mines) until I saw it pointed out as Loo-min-es).

We might as well take it there as it's going to go that way anyway:

I say SNEZ

Marry-oh is also very, very wrong.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Say BEER CAN in a fat posh British accent OP

sound like a Jamaican saying BACON

now say pokemon like a jamaican

l

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
Most of you guys can’t even pronounce Mercedes correctly (no it is not “mer-say-dees”), so you are all wrong by default.

It's Poe Keh Mon.
The Japanese syllables are
PO KE MO-N
The problem is the way native english speakers are pronouncing ”e” most of the time.
They draw it out in many words so it sounds like “meet, greet, sheet, feet“ instead of “the, meh, end, bend,...”

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
I dont hear the Tsu, as pronounced like most ppl say it, it sounds Soo.

Stop posting links to videos you took 10 seconds to google.
It is wrong. I can find another one that says the exact opposite in 10 seconds too.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's in the damn theme song, man. It's not "Pohhhh-keeeeee-moooo-ohhn".

Top Bottom