• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"it's Poke Eh mon, not Poke EE mon!” Video Game Terms, Words and Names that you've pronounced incorrectly

You guys would love to hear how we Frenchies pronounce every f***ing title.
Of course when Guillemot says Ubisoft during a speech in English he tries to say it à l'anglaise, but that's not how any French guy would pronounce it. :messenger_grinning_squinting:
A few examples:

Résidante Éveel
Super Mario Trois Dé World
Age off ampeer
Duck Neckum
Unsharteed Trois
Donkeh Kong Coontree
Also, when I was a kid I said Link's Ah-wah-keh-ning.

And so on...

carlosrox

Banned
I consider "JRPG" an idiotic non-term that smacks of condescension and borderline xenophobia.

So add that to the list.

SNEZ is up there, I only use it with my less hardcore friends cuz whatever, but with my brothers we know S.N.E.S is the correct way of saying it. Really though, it's not that bad but I find it kinda silly. SNESS would be a bit more acceptable.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
On the GameFAQs Star Ocean 2 board back in the day, there were a bunch of fucking weebs who would write “Crawd” instead of “Claude”. Does that count?

P.S. it’s-a-me, MERRY-O

Yerd

I consider "JRPG" an idiotic non-term that smacks of condescension and borderline xenophobia.

So add that to the list.

SNEZ is up there, I only use it with my less hardcore friends cuz whatever, but with my brothers we know S.N.E.S is the correct way of saying it. Really though, it's not that bad but I find it kinda silly. SNESS would be a bit more acceptable.
JRPG isn't a term it's an acronym.

Ryu - most people that have never heard the name say "rye-you". As a kid playing SF2, I did too, until I saw the manga.

As for Mario I say Marr-ee-oh. But New Yorkers or east coast usa in general, mostly of Italian descent, will say Mare-ee-oh. I would bet it bleeds over to the non Italian people that grow up around them.

fart town usa

Gold Member
BOTW was soul crushing when I first heard KA-KA-RICO Village. I always pronounced it as, KA-CAR-RICOH. It's spelt Kakariko.

My friend has this pet peeve about how 95% of western people say Karaoke wrong.

I say it wrong on purpose just to piss him off.

Anyway I mispronounced Cloud as crybaby wah wah wah

Last edited:

Banned
I bet at best 0.1% of all user here ever pronounced the name Ryu correctly... even the ones who think they do

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I just herd someone on a YouTube video today pronounce the nes game crystalis as Chris-stall-lis instead of Chris-still-lis

Kataploom

Gold Member
It's always fun to see english native speakers get so troubbled with japanese names lmao.

I remember when people were complaining cause they're couldn't pronounce "Shin Megami Tensei" properly... It's a good thing in spanish we just have flat vowels so we don't go under the same issues.

Literally, apart from some specific reading rules, spanish and japanese are almost 1:1... Some things like "-ou" (which reads "-oo"), "-ei" (which reads like "-ee") and G (which is only "hard" in japanese) those names (including "pokemon") are not a problem here.

I love seeing these threads because I understand a little better your language.

Last edited:

Graciaus

Final Fantasy Tactics is probably my favorite game of all time. I've been calling Delita Delta since I was a kid. Didn't even notice until I heard someone say it in a YouTube video.

Everyone that says "I could care less" when they mean that they couldn't care less. It's so stupid. You're literally saying that you could actually care less than you do, i.e you do care which is the opposite of what you want to say.

Drives me crazy.

Wait, am I doing this right?

aclar00

X instead Cross....cross is just gross....ewwww

Edit: Not a pronunciation, but i say sonic kick still, not flash kick. Also say both dragon punch and shoryuken

Last edited:

Kev Kev

pokeemans

nibelheim from final fantasy 7. i dont think any two people pronounce it the same. still not sure what the "correct" pronunciation is

Last edited:

BigAssBoy

Everyone that says "I could care less" when they mean that they couldn't care less. It's so stupid. You're literally saying that you could actually care less than you do, i.e you do care which is the opposite of what you want to say.

Drives me crazy.

Wait, am I doing this right?
This gets me too, I continually reply back with with "So you do care" and they still do it a few seconds later.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

I'm Irish so always going to say

Poke- uh- Mon
And M ah Rio

Even the earlier series of the Pokémon tv series didn't help though.

Here's a clip from the first episode of Pokémon. About 30 seconds in he says it constantly.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
The show told us how to pronounce Pokemon dont need youtube if you got ears.

Wew lad, JRPGs used to be called "Console Style RPGs" but that went out of fashion quick because those kind of games started yo pop up on PCs TOO!

What do you use? Anime RPG? Turn-based random battles starring pre-defined characters with little actual "Role Playing"?

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
s-l1600.jpg

Top Bottom