• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"it's Poke Eh mon, not Poke EE mon!” Video Game Terms, Words and Names that you've pronounced incorrectly

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i've always pronounced it as Poke-Ah-Mon. i'm scottish whatever that's worth.

ubisoft - you beh soft

mario - mah-ree-o

Last edited:

Haemi

pokeemans

nibelheim from final fantasy 7. i dont think any two people pronounce it the same. still not sure what the "correct" pronunciation is

If it's a mix of "nibel" like in the "nibelungen sage" and the german word for home then the pronunciation would be something like: knee-bell-high-m

Porcile

It's amusing to see people get annoyed at English speakers pronunciation of Japanese words, when the Japanese themselves have English loan words that they completely butcher the original pronunciation of essentially due to laziness.. Often there are much more suitable Japanese syllables to get a more accurate pronunciation of these but they pronounce the words as if it is written in their own language. One example would be ペニス ( penis), or as the Japanese say a peh-nee-su.

fart town usa

Gold Member
It's amusing to see people get annoyed at English speakers pronunciation of Japanese words, when the Japanese themselves have English loan words that they completely butcher the original pronunciation of essentially due to laziness.. Often there are much more suitable Japanese syllables to get a more accurate pronunciation of these but they pronounce the words as if it is written in their own language. One example would be ペニス ( penis), or as the Japanese say a peh-nee-su.
I love how the McDonald's is pronouced, MACK-OO-DONALD-ADO. I think it's a better name, ha.

A072F6AE763130CF3567BE12E804B9B041304844

Tatschbrackbrrrakukyak!!!

Oh god... :messenger_expressionless:

1smJRyi.jpg

... she-goo-ee... :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:

:messenger_confounded:

I mean, I was 8-9 years old !
And how could I possibly know that those were two english words, right ?
Besides, it sounded so freaking cool ! And it gave that enemy such an intriguing and mysterious vibe !

I was so disappointed when I finally figured out what it really was... "Shy Guy"... pfft... boring ! :messenger_unamused:

Furozen

You know that "penis" is derived from the Latin word for tail (pēnis), so English pronunciation is not the original one?

Banned

lol the English pronunciation of Penis the incorrect one xD the japanese pronounce it correctly.

all in all English in general is a pretty terrible language. the amount of inconsistencies is just astonishing. it starts with the fact that there are basically zero rules on how to pronounce almost any character or series of characters

Last edited:

tsumake

lol the English pronunciation of Penis the incorrect one xD the japanese pronounce it correctly.

all in all English in general is a pretty terrible language. the amount of inconsistencies is just astonishing. it starts with the fact that there are basically zero rules on how to pronounce almost any character or series of characters

Somebody’s butthurt.

Yes, English has a large number of loan words in its vocabulary given its history, which requires a fair amount of raw memorization. But a lot of languages require a lot of memorization. Add all the various accents in the Anglophone world and you have a wild west scenario concerning pronunciation. But as we say “tomay-to, tomah-to.”

carlosrox

Banned
JRPG isn't a term it's an acronym.

It's dumb and doesn't mean anything. People treat it like it's a genre or some shit.

Is Mario a J Platformer? Is Spyro a W Platformer?

XBC2 is fuckin nothing like FF6 so there's no part in trying to call them both JRPGS as if them both being Japanese means anything aside from um..they were both made in Japan? Uh...cool?

I don't call Diablo a WRPG. Give a pet name to one then give a pet name to all.

JRPG doesn't mean anything.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Ninja Guy-den not Ninja Gay-den
Muh-rio not Meh-rio
She-no-bee not Shy-no-buy (I heard that once)
Nobody calls him muh-rio and there’s no U in it either.

It’s MA—RIO. Say the letter A in your head. So how can that sound like the letter U?

Do you call an apple and upple?

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Well listen to what the bloke who voices him calls him.

Find me where he calls him MORE-IO and I’ll buy you a pint.

Last edited:
Nobody calls him muh-rio and there’s no U in it either.

It’s MA—RIO. Say the letter A in your head. So how can that sound like the letter U?

Do you call an apple and upple?

If I say letter A as it's spelled, then it is May-rio. So, no.
"Muh" is pronounced as "ma", as is "ma" itself (or similarly) in - MAjority, noMAds, MAnifest ect.

Apple is pronounced "æpl" not "eipl" as you point out, no matter the spelling, since English spelling is inconsistent. And upple would be something like "əpl" as in "UP" plus "l".

Last edited:

Maogp

As an Italian I pronunce Mario in the only correct way it's supposed to be pronounced: mah ri oh.
There is no other way, it's a name, I mean if your name is John I'm not calling you Giovanni (the Italian translation), or Bill as Guglielmo. It's a name.
Like some time ago I read Micheal Angel for Michelangelo (the Renaissance painter). Freaking heart attack lol

In Italy we say
Resident Eh vil (often but ivol is used as well)
Super Mario tr eh d uorld
Ubisoft as french way
Xbox not ex box but ICS box

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
You guys would love to hear how we Frenchies pronounce every f***ing title.
Of course when Guillemot says Ubisoft during a speech in English he tries to say it à l'anglaise, but that's not how any French guy would pronounce it. :messenger_grinning_squinting:
A few examples:

Résidante Éveel
Super Mario Trois Dé World
Age off ampeer
Duck Neckum
Unsharteed Trois
Donkeh Kong Coontree
Also, when I was a kid I said Link's Ah-wah-keh-ning.

And so on...
France French accents and bad pronounciation is the most infuriating thing for me at work. Oui-phi, it's Wi-Fi! If you use an English word, say it in English dammit.

Yerd

It's dumb and doesn't mean anything. People treat it like it's a genre or some shit.

Is Mario a J Platformer? Is Spyro a W Platformer?

XBC2 is fuckin nothing like FF6 so there's no part in trying to call them both JRPGS as if them both being Japanese means anything aside from um..they were both made in Japan? Uh...cool?

I don't call Diablo a WRPG. Give a pet name to one then give a pet name to all.

JRPG doesn't mean anything.
Are you of Japanese heritage? I feel you take offense for something that doesn't make sense. At least to me.

JRPG is a genre that I don't like anyway so I can't really make much informed argument here. My understanding is JRPG is RPG with turn based battle. I hate turn based games with a heated passion. I played Suikoden 1 and 2 and FF 7 and 8 when they were new and that's about the extent of my JRPG experience. I've tried more since but, the turn based has irked me so much I can't continue. As far as I'm aware, the Japanese devs created that style of RPG, so they are dubbed JRPGs of course.

Western RPG, which I would just call RPGs, would be Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and the like. Around during the same era, basically, of those games I mentioned. It was a way to differentiate the two types of game. The WRPGs are turn based, but the gameplay is real time and you don't see those turns like you do in JRPG.

Mario and Spyro are both just platformers.

Diablo is a different game genre. I wouldn't consider it a real RPG. There is a name for it, but I don't recall. It's a clicker or some such.

You can blame Turtle Power for that.
In France we say Michel-Ange, Raphaël and Léonard de Vinci. As a kid, I hardly saw the reference to Renaissance artists.

The most frustrating french way to say English words is for "beat 'em up", which translation is "beat them all" -> Bitzemmol
And the funniest is MMORPG, which once was pronounced by a TV journalist "meuporg" (actually that's the french spelling of it, I have no idea how to translate it in English. Same for the letter "U" in french by the way, which is pronounced as is in "Ubisoft").

Top Bottom