• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's so strange playing games without going for cheevos/trophies

Interfectum

For story based games I don't care about achievements but honestly I do really need/want them when playing a simulation like Cities: Skylines. I feel like the meta awards add a lot to the experience when grinding through games like that.

JSoup

Banned
Can always play retro stuffs that never had achievements but are still all really good.
Oh sorry, did I say retro with no achievements because I meant bite me:

HTK

Banned
Achievements and Trophies are nothing but a bunch of busy work and a huge waste of time that can distract you from enjoying the game. I have 1 Platnum trophy since they released the damn thing, even if you enjoy hunting for trophies it wouldn't be a big deal if developers implemented them in a good way. Some of these implementations are pretty bad and just wasting your time.

But hey, if you enjoy collecting them go for it.

Batiman

Banned
Only cared about achievements for like the first 2 months ago 360. People do unfun shit just to some sort of congratulation. Waste of time. They’re for people that never earned real trophy’s. Jk

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Trophies came in with giving the gamer the option to pick them up with spare time... all of a sudden some gamers thought you had to throw a party for getting a platinum trophy and it wasn’t like that.

HE1NZ

Banned
If I cared about achievements I'd probably go insane. I just want to finish all story content in the game.

Saber

Gold Member
Nowadays yeah. But I remember a time where we played games because how damn good they are. Majoras Masks 64 is one of them, I couldn't stop playing and sometimes even start it over again. Space Station Sillicon Valley, Star Fox 64, S3K...all those games doesn't have reason other than being fun to play and repeat.

Maybe thats what games are lacking these days.

Rayderism

The only time I even remotely cared about trophies is when Playstation Rewards gave points for them. I got lots of $20 coupons during that time.

Last edited:

itsArtie

Never really cared about trophies. Life is short and there are so many games out there to experience. With my short attention span, I can barely finish the main story, so I usually prefer games that are less than 30 hours long. (Persona 5 and the Witcher 3 are exceptions)

Last edited:

Boxster17

If it's a game I really enjoy, I may go for the plat these days but it's getting to be more rare.

I had a period where I enjoyed trophy hunting but with a family now and more limited gaming time, I'd rather dip into new games than spend more time cleaning up trophies in old ones.

I’ve never cared about them. I only care about 100%ing on a game I really enjoy. I couldn’t care less about trophies or achievements. I do care about secret endings and such.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I only care when the game has fun stuff to do related to achievements, and I ignore the non fun stuff.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I don’t go achievement hunting particularly, but I do like it when they pop!

Games without them just aren’t the same, and I’m reminded of that every time an original Xbox game is given away with GWG.

I'm like you, I don't go hunting Achievements and I actually thought I didn't care about them until I got a PS4 last gen. I didn't care about or even pay any attention to trophies, but it turns out I missed achievements popping up and adding more points to my gamer score. It was weird, it really felt like something was missing in those games. It's the same with replaying BC games I already got most the achievements for, I miss them.

Wizz-Art

I care for Achievements but when I was multiplat and also gamed on the PS3 I never cared for trophies because they just weren't as satisfying, I love the achievement plop sound and the notification on screen when I unlock one. I love the diamond rare achievements they implemented last gen and to see the percentage of players that unlocked it. I also like that it's a simple view to see how far along a game I am. I try to at least get 100+ on every game and if I like a game I try to get at least 600+. I don't go out of my way playing games just for the achievements alone like some do, I have to like a game and it to be worth the time I invest in it.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
I dont bother with them anymore like I used to. I did get 1000/1000 for Donut County tho

donutcounty0jj6l.png

Tg89

Don't think I've ever intentionally gone for a trophy or even really looked through them. Occasionally if one pops up while I'm playing I might check to see what it was for, but couldn't care less otherwise. I have a pretty low trophy completion rate in most games so that tells me the majority of trophies are tied to things I can't be bothered doing.

DogofWar

I enjoyed gaming more before trophies became a thing.

Probably even went for 100% more often then.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Never cared for them.

I look up what can be unlocked in a game I like and work towards that if it's worth the effort.

Still have 0 platinums on my PS 4 games. :lollipop_grinning:

chaseroni

Can always play retro stuffs that never had achievements but are still all really good.
Oh sorry, did I say retro with no achievements because I meant bite me:
This right here, I like having new things to do in old games that I haven't played in a long time. This site reignited my love for those retro games. I played through 20+ games last year and had a great time doing so, only went for 100% completion when I really enjoyed the game. Great community and an awesome way to discover something new.

IMO trophies are useless and waste of time. I have never had any urge to chase them, I have like 3 platium trophies from almost 10 years of playstation gaming.

I just dont see the fun on artificial "kill 10000 enemies with bazooka" or "collect all stupid collectibles" kind of things.

Like, why people waste their time on it, when trophies are literally useless and they could spend the same time to play something new, instead of running around some hidden poop around the map.

But good if some like them, they arent mandatory so it does affect much to my gaming

Just_one

I love trophies , it helps giving more replayability to games although some trophies are beyond difficult.

also i dont think online trophies should count towards the platinum.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I never really got used to doing it in the first place. I turned off the notifications in Steam and on PS3 / PS4 (when the option was finally added). It is fun to look back through a trophy list, though, kinda like a passive diary. I do enjoy aiming for some of the challenges presented by trophies, when they're done properly. Also I still regularly play retro stuff without it so it never became "standard" to me.

Otherwise though I haven't paid much attention to the feature.

MAX PAYMENT

I noticed right when they came put that not all achievements were created equally, and some had the most ridiculous requirements ever. I was on board with achievement/trophy hunting for about half a week.

John2290

I fell of platinums a year or two ago but yep, recently bought as Switch and it's freeing. I Really wish you could opt out of Trophies on PS4, knock them off completely but they doubled down and welded them together on ps5. it's refreshing to play games for the sake of it again instead of worrying about juggling outside lists.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Like many I have a love/hate relationship with trophies/achievements. Recently I got an XSX to complement the PS5 and there's a massive backlog of games to catch up on, so I just got to playing them. Played through Halo 5, didn't care about skulls or intel, or trying to beat it on Legendary/Heroic. Playing through Ori, and haven't looked at the achievemens but this is going to be one that I go for 100% in the game screens for because I love playing it. Just playing through the Gears 5 campaign without focusing too much on kills with weapons or intel. Just blasting Horde for the fun of it. I think this is because I 'main' the PS for the time being so that's my 'official' profile where I go for plats.

But it is so liberating but also feels a bit hollow. Like the micro objectives just give you something else to hunt down and do, but some of them are just so stupid - like the burning enemies in Valhalla. I wish there were more just in game things to do and 100%. They seemed 'fairer', like collecting relics in Crash or beating times/collecting chaos emeralds. Now, it's about weird little side events/tasks.

I think I like dropping them compared to checking the games out on PS but also games go by a lot quicker without them.
It is like playing Nintendo games. They don't have achievements, but they are worth every second.

Umbral

One of the first things I did on my PS4 and PS5 when I turned them on was go and disable all notifications for trophies. I also turned off that stupid “take a screenshot when you get a trophy” feature.

soulbait

I have never really focused on Achievements when I play a game, except for a few rare occasions. I will from time to time look at the achievements to see any fun goals to try (Like GTAV and flying underneath every bridge), but I rarely ever seek them out or worry about them.

Skyrim was the one game I did focus on them though. I considered getting all of the achievements "beating" the game. I was a fun thing to go after.

Most of the time though? I really do not care about them and allow them to happen as I play.

nkarafo

I try to disable/mute/avoid whenever i get the chance. Nothing more immersion breaking than a pop-up appearing with a snarky message.

Null Persp

I used to unlock them in the xbox 360 era but then I began to play on PC and I stopped caring about them, my backlog is too big now.

Kadayi

Banned
Depends on the game, but to echo others, if it's the sort of thing you can do without too much finagling and I actively enjoy the game, then sometimes I'll go for 100%. But if they're the sort of thing that require you to replay 8 times or some BS, then nope.

aint nobody got time for that GIF

The only thing I wish games would do as a general rule is split out MP Achievements from Single-player (Just have two badges). Nothing worst than playing an old game only to discover that there's a bunch of BS MP achievements you're never likely to be able to get because the MP is non-existent a few years down the road. The Recent Tomb Raider trilogy, in particular, is guilty of that.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
If trophies and achievements didn't exist I would quit gaming simply because just beating a game was never a real 100%, but mastering the game is.

I've spent an insane amount of time on my ps4 getting some of the hardest platinums and 100% such as

Evil Within (including DLC).
Evil Within 2
Battleborn (including DLC)
Overwatch (including DLC)
Sniper Elite 4 (Including DLC)
Evolve (including DLC)
Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare
Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2 (including DLC)
Dark Souls
Dark Souls II
Bloodborne
Knack
Resogun (including DLC)
Mortal Kombat X (including DLC)
Injustice 2 (including DLC)
Watch Dogs
Assassins Creed 2 (including DLC)
Assassins Creed 3 (including DLC
Assassins Creed: Brotherhood (including DLC)
Assassins Creed Revelations (Including DLC)
Assassins Creed Unity (including DLC)
Assassins Creed Syndicate (including DLC)

And many more - full list here www.psnprofiles.com/gyrathus
This is largely an argument against trophies. I say that as someone who platinumed Assassin’s Creed 2 on PS3. It in no way counts as mastering the game to hunt down feathers. AC2 was the last collectathon I ever did.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Nothing worse than a notification that pops up in the middle of the screen when playing a shmup :)
That didn't make me turn em off (but that's an annoying one). It was trophies showing up during a cutscene or a transition that essentially "spoiled" the next 2 minutes of content.

i.e. you walk through a new door after a tense battle, the loading screen spins up, then while it's loading the "Good Job! You Beat The Chapter" trophy pops...... :messenger_weary: :messenger_neutral:

Mossybrew

I've never done anything in a game just to get a trophy. I guess the only positive thing I can say about them is that sometimes it can be mildly interesting to see the percentage of other players who got the same trophy when you get something kinda rare.

ZoukGalaxy

I'm exactly the opposite:
"It's so strange playing games going for cheevos/trophies"

I don't like loosing my time with artificials useless goals just for "Hey my profile is BIGGER than you" ot "Hey I completed to 100%". Yeah, great, tell that to my infinite backlog.

The first thing I do on a system is to turn off ALL boring notifications breaking my immersion.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I definitley have a mental block sometimes about playing a game on Switch because it doesnt have cheevos. My buddy bought Fenix Rising on switch, we game share, and I was like yeah but it doesnt have achievements.

LIke who gives a shit!? Its basically a free game to me. Eventually I come to my senses and say get the fuck over it you dunce.

Last edited:
I've never once cared about trophies or achievements.

They didn't exist when I started gaming, and it still means nothing to me in todays world.

I completely understand anyone who enjoys completing trophies and achievements though, because it is designed to make you strive to attain it and the reward is at the most - and the least - is bragging rights.

But to me, gaming is an escape and a way for me to explore and experience new world and stories.

Once I enjoy it - or dont - I tend to put down the game and move on with the exception of a few games.

Although I cant help but feel like I should achieve one platinum trophy at the least though 😅

engstra

Think there's a delicate balance with trophies. I've been going for platinums on the psvr games I've been playing where it's already a more focused experience. If I can platinum a game on one playthrough I tend to go for it (Spiderman and GOW for example) but on bigger games there's no way in hell. Think it's especially jarring in rpgs when it forces you to play multiple playthroughs and as a good/neutral/evil protagonist. I always tend to play making the good choices and have no interest in playing a type of character I don't relate to.

But if done right trophies can be a really cool experience. The best example I can think of is Dead Space with the trophy for completing the game only using the plasma cutter, making you experience the game in a completely different way.

Fahdis

Trophies are great in single player, its the fucking online ones that piss me off at the end or online co-op and then the service is gone. Ok, even if Online trophies are there, they should be easy... fucking 10K kills online who the truck fuck thinks that is ever fun?

Damigos

I enjoy trophy hunting too but i only plat games i wanna keep playing or if i am very close to plat (2-3 trophies misssing). But in no way i play games just for trophies despite the fact i have around 250 plats.

This got me thinking...how little I care about trophies. I'm pretty old fashioned in that sense I suppose. I get happy when I get a cool achievement/trophy and laugh if it's a funny achievement/trophy title, but asides that, it's not something I actively pay attention to when gaming.

Verchod

Pretty much no interest in them or completing them. However it seems they can be useful in pointing out hidden gems within the game.

Top Bottom