• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: Elden Ring. Finally playing this beloved game. Any advice appreciated

Kindela

Banned
You're overthinking this. Just like any other game, play the way it comes naturally. If you get bored of frustrated, drop the game. You shouldn't need to study on how to enjoy your time with it. Don't do this to yourself, it's just a game.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I finished the game yesterday. 200 hours give or take. I ended up loving it. I liked it much better than previous FromSoft games I've played. I like how the openness of it allows for more strategy when tackling areas and bosses. I was even able to cheese a few bosses using the environment that gave me trouble. I like how well hidden a lot of the treasures are and how there is a purpose to every aspect of every dungeon. For example, if you look out a window and see a ledge, there's probably a purpose to climbing on it and following it around a structure. It isn't just there for design. There aren't really any wasted platforms or ramparts. I even like how areas are connected together. Like if you traverse to the very bottom of the capital you want up in the Deeproot Depths eventually. And I liked how there are some areas you need to carefully platform to reach new areas. I loved how every treasure you get has value. You can put use to any weapon or ash. You aren't going to find some secret treasure and it just be some healing item like in most JRPGs. And the rewards from bosses always feel worthy and satisfying.

Some of the areas were so awesome to explore. The capital, Volcano Manor. The Farum Azula was really cool to explore too.

The side quests like in Souls games are really subtle and you don't get a lot of dialogue but I like it that way. It doesn't destroy the pacing by having annoying anime characters bore you to death with 10 straight minutes of dialogue. And they offer a lot of moral ambiguity and some can end really dark.

Just in time for June. If my June is clear, I'll probably jump right into the DLC.

MagnesD3

I finished the game yesterday. 200 hours give or take. I ended up loving it. I liked it much better than previous FromSoft games I've played. I like how the openness of it allows for more strategy when tackling areas and bosses. I was even able to cheese a few bosses using the environment that gave me trouble. I like how well hidden a lot of the treasures are and how there is a purpose to every aspect of every dungeon. For example, if you look out a window and see a ledge, there's probably a purpose to climbing on it and following it around a structure. It isn't just there for design. There aren't really any wasted platforms or ramparts. I even like how areas are connected together. Like if you traverse to the very bottom of the capital you want up in the Deeproot Depths eventually. And I liked how there are some areas you need to carefully platform to reach new areas. I loved how every treasure you get has value. You can put use to any weapon or ash. You aren't going to find some secret treasure and it just be some healing item like in most JRPGs. And the rewards from bosses always feel worthy and satisfying.

Some of the areas were so awesome to explore. The capital, Volcano Manor. The Farum Azula was really cool to explore too.

The side quests like in Souls games are really subtle and you don't get a lot of dialogue but I like it that way. It doesn't destroy the pacing by having annoying anime characters bore you to death with 10 straight minutes of dialogue. And they offer a lot of moral ambiguity and some can end really dark.

Just in time for June. If my June is clear, I'll probably jump right into the DLC.
Its pretty damn incredible, I really hope more developers study it.

It may not be the most common take but I genuinely believe Elden Ring might be the best game ever made, I have only minor complaints with it and a crazy amount of praise, easily my favorite combat/exploration in a game.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Its pretty damn incredible, I really hope more developers study it.

It may not be the most common take but I genuinely believe Elden Ring might be the best game ever made, I have only minor complaints with it and a crazy amount of praise, easily my favorite combat/exploration in a game.
If I had one complaint the map system had some shortcomings. It didn't give you enough options to mark the map especially when the map is so densely packed with discoveries. The least they could've done is give you a wide variety of icons to place on the map so you can mark treasures, enemies, etc. And I think they limit you to like 5. So if you find an area you want to mark a bunch of things it automatically removes markers you previously put down. Also a mini map would've been really convenient. Especially when you can't bring the map up when enemies are around. Navigating when you're being chased trying to find your way somewhere and you can't bring up the map drove me nuts.

Last edited:

badblue

The least they could've done is give you a wide variety of icons to place on the map so you can mark treasures, enemies, etc.
Are you using markers?

Map-Markers-scaled.jpg

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Are you using markers?

Map-Markers-scaled.jpg
Is that on the console version? If so, I guess I totally missed that lol. I had the blue glowing markers and that was it. If that's on the console version I went an entire 200 hour playthrough without knowing that was an option.

badblue

Is that on the console version? If so, I guess I totally missed that lol. I had the blue glowing markers and that was it. If that's on the console version I went an entire 200 hour playthrough without knowing that was an option.
I thought the blue marker was the only one too for a while. I saw the marker button there every time I looked at the map but it didn't click until recently. It's handy when trying to remember where you've been.

MagnesD3

That will happen in a fromsoft game, in Armored Core I went through the whole thing for all three playthroughs and didnt know you didnt have to manual lock on constantly one lock on will prevent it from breaking lock on even if they are out of view...

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I thought the blue marker was the only one too for a while. I saw the marker button there every time I looked at the map but it didn't click until recently. It's handy when trying to remember where you've been.
Will be good to know for the DLC assuming it uses the same map system.

Top Bottom