• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

J.J. Abrams = The new Joss Whedon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a huge fan of his work since the beginning, and he's shown how diverse he can be. From Felicity to Alias was a big shift in style, but Alias when he was involved was really really good. Even at the end of Season 3 when he started getting involved again it got good.

Just recently though a friend brought over a tape, didn't ask where he got it, but it was the pilot for Lost. All I can say is wow was it good. I didn't know what to expect, but I came away surprised and wanting more. It's hard to describe the show without making it sound generic or lame, but it works really well. I highly recommend trying to get your hands on it or seeing it when it debuts in September. I'll be surprised if any new show this Falll is better than it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Lost? Is that the show about the plane crash survivors?

Fifty

Well David Fury is one of the top 3 guys on that show, so there's a bit more of a a connection :) He screwed up Alias last year, by not paying enough attention to it and letting it slip away from him, but hopefully he can turn it around. Alias season 3= Buffy Season 4. I'm going to watch Lost on the weekend, I can't wait. :)

edit: ^ Yes

Gribbix

Abrams has said that he is a fan of Joss' work and that Buffy pretty much opened the doors for shows like Alias. If I'm not mistaken, I believe 2 or 3 writers from Angel are working on Lost.

G4life98

Grizzlyjin said:
Lost? Is that the show about the plane crash survivors?

yeah and it is great...the pilot has been floating around online for awhile and I gave it a look and was quite impressed.

ManaByte

Gold Member
J. J. Abrams wrote that Superman script for Warner where Ma Kent gets raped and baby Clark beats up the rapist, where the suit came from a fucking can, Krypton didn't blow up, and Lex Luthor was an evil Kryptonian rival of Kal-El.

J. J. Abrams doesn't deserve to smell Whedon's shit.

FoneBone

I remind you that Whedon wrote Alien Resurrection, and that, like it or not, not all of that film's faults can be blamed on the studio or the director.

Prospero

FoneBone said:
I remind you that Whedon wrote Alien Resurrection, and that, like it or not, not all of that film's faults can be blamed on the studio or the director.

I forced a friend of mine who's big into Buffy to watch that movie, and the first thing out of her mouth afterward was, "That was like one of the bad Buffy episodes."

SFA_AOK

FoneBone said:

He's said the script he wrote is virtually unrecognisable from what appeared in the film. But yes he must take equal blame! ¬_¬

Fifty said:
Well David Fury is one of the top 3 guys on that show, so there's a bit more of a a connection :) s

Davids also probably the closest you're going to get to another Joss. Him or Steven DeKnight. Joss' humor is just second to none though, that's what really puts him over.

FoneBone

SFA_AOK said:
He's said the script he wrote is virtually unrecognisable from what appeared in the film. But yes he must take equal blame! ¬_¬
I was at a Q&A he gave, and that wasn't at all what he said there. But I didn't say he was equally to blame, just that he wasn't blameless.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Tim Minear and Drew Goddard are both better than David Fury and Steven DeKnight IMO.

I don't know what the fuck Abrams was doing when he wrote that Superman script, but outside of that he's really great. The first 2 seasons of Alias are right up there with the best of Buffy and Angel (though a completely different style of show) and while S3 was pretty shit overall, everyone has at least one season of a Buffyverse show they thought was crap.

Lost is awesome too, or at least the pilot is.

I'm not sure what he's thinking trying to get Alias back on track, launching Lost AND launching that manhunter pilot for mid season so close together though. If he can pull it off he has my respect.

Prospero

SFA_AOK said:

The Whedon first draft screenplay is on disc 8 of the Alien Quadrilogy. So he doesn't have that excuse to hide behind anymore.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Except S1 which was, you know, crap.

Obviously you don't agree though, and I knew some people wouldn't, which is why I said the Buffyverse, covering both shows.

In terms of running the show and writing etc, yes David Greenwalt is probably closest to Joss, but I'll never understand why he gets such praise for his writing. I find him to be a completely average Angel writer (which, to be fair, makes him an excellent writer in general), unlike others mentioned in this thread.

SFA_AOK

Prospero said:
The Whedon first draft screenplay is on disc 8 of the Alien Quadrilogy. So he doesn't have that excuse to hide behind anymore.

Ack, I might be getting confused with some other movie he wrote... or who knows, another person altogether? Being wrong serves me right for thinking I knew anything about Whedon :p

Prospero

SFA_AOK said:
Ack, I might be getting confused with some other movie he wrote... or who knows, another person altogether? Being wrong serves me right for thinking I knew anything about Whedon :p

No, you have it right. For years after that movie came out, Whedon bitched about how it wasn't anything like his original "vision." Meanwhile, this mystical brilliant screenplay failed to materialize, while people with ears to hear noticed that Ripley had the same kind of faux-cool dialogue as Buffy in just about every scene of the film's final cut.

The best thing about the Alien Quadrilogy is how it forced complainers to shut their mouths. Dan O'Bannon's original screenplay for Alien is in the set as well, which he also claimed was butchered--sweet Lord is that screenplay awful.

fart

Savant
yah resurrection was a stinker from start to finish. that shouldn't surprise anyone really.

but check out william gibson's alien 3 treatment. it's not great either.

Memles

If you draw the parallel of doing too many things at once, you're right on the money.

Abrams has three shows on the go right now, as Whedon did, and Alias suffered because of it.

Fifty

I just watched the Lost pilot (broken into two pieces)

Wow. I pray to the gods of television that ABC hangs in there and gives this a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom