• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jackie Brown....the thorn in my side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Don't get me wrong, it's a good movie. But...what the fuck, Quentin?
Pulp Fiction is the best movie ever made, imo. Resovoir Dogs is a classic. Combine Kill Bill 1 and 2 and it's in my top 10 easily.

Jackie Brown, on the other hand, is so very lacking. Besides the Sammy L and Chris Tucker exchange, there are no memorable parts to this movie. And it's still not that good.

I am a gigantic QT whore, but this...it pains me to see him spend time making this, when it's so average.

Were my sights set too high, or what? Was it not that good?

I saw it in theaters, and a few more times from then until 2000. But I just watched it again in hope that I would find something new I loved about it. But alas.

Floater

Banned
It's a movie about getting old. Maybe 5 or 10 years down the line, you'll appreciate it more.

To me, it's Quentin's second best movie after Pulp Fiction.

Meier

Dunno dude, I think Jackie Brown is better than Reservoir Dogs and very close to Pulp Fiction personally. I'd say it's just about perfect.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Oh my God if there was E-V-E-R a post a disagreed with, this is it. Good God man you are sooo way off base.

But I'll let others elaborate on why you're wrong, and why this is his second best film ever, next to PF.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Wait a minute are you sure you're not a JC?

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Bollocks. Anyone could have made this movie. You could tell QT was behind his other movies. Take out the first 15 minutes of JB and it's anyone's movie.

Again, I'm not saying it's a bad movie. It really is a good movie. Just not good by Tarantino standards.

and own me, wtf is a JC?

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
aoi tsuki said:
JC == Joke Character

ah, thanks.

yes, a joke character that's been here for 3+ years.

Leon said:
The guy made 4 of the best movies ever made. Give him a frickin' break.

no no no. I'm not bashing QT, the man is a god. I already said I'm a QT whore. But JB just isn't even close to his others imo.

isamu

megateto said:
I just don't care if the movie was great or not... Bridget Fonda looked GREAT with the pink bikini there...

Yup! And Bobby got to FHUTA! +1

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
The movie's alright, but my problem with it is more Elmore Leonard's formulaic and lame stories. I think a lot of the scenes are nicely done. I just don't think it adds up to too much.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Eminem said:
Bollocks. Anyone could have made this movie.

Oh, for fuck's sake. EVERY SINGLE SECOND of Sam Jackson's dialogue is 100% Tarantino. The soundtrack too reaks of his taste. I mean, The Delfonics?

Guzim

Jackie Brown gets better and better everytime I watch it.

And how can you not love the scene where Ordell realizes "It's Jackie Brown."

XS+

Banned
Right behind the Kill Bill saga Jackie Brown's my favorite Tarantino-directed movie, if only for the movie's dialogue and character interaction.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Ok Jackie Brown shits all over Kill Bill... Pulp Fiction is his greatest work...but Jackie is his is second best

1. P. F.

2. J. B.

3. R. D.

4. K. B.

'nuff said!!

the whole Scene when we First see Jackie Brown and Ordell together is str8 Classic....one of the best scenes in the movie imo...

its just so funny...

the whole fact Ordell thought he was in control and bam he gets owned.

Ordell:...you scared of me? you got any reason to be nervous around me?
<click click>
Ordell: is that what I think it is?
Jackie: what do you think it is?
Ordell: I think its a gun pressed up against my dick
Jackie: Well you thought Right.

Jackie: Now Sit your ass down on that Sofa!
Ordell: See, police start fuckin with your mind, pittin black against black, thats how they do....
Jackie: Shut your Raggidy ass up and sit the Fuck Down!

hahaha that shit was too good.

peace

Each of Tarantino's movies is excellent, but I suppose if you were to really reach (and I mean REALLY reach) to find a chink in his armor, it'd be Jackie Brown. And that'd probbaly be because it's his only film based on an existing work.

Still, he took it and made it his own - casting Pam Grier in the lead is classic Tarantino. It's an excellent film that only gets better with age. The way she plays everyone in that movie... "No one knows how it's goin' down, except maybe.... Jackie Brown."

KingGondo

Banned
Just 'cause it's different doesn't make it bad. If you really think anybody could have directed Jackie Brown, think again:

The music is perfect (a QT trademark), especially when Ordell's sitting in his car (Strawberry Letter 23, Tennessee Stud), but don't forget the "hand-off" sequence near the end, when we see the deal go down from every character's perspective in different takes. I also enjoy the subtlety of the dialogue, especially between Pam Grier and Forster.

Also, why do we all have to try and "rank" different movies, games, and albums? All of QT's films are good, just enjoy them and don't worry about it.

darscot

I think the reason some Taratino fans dislike Jakie Brown is simply becaue he didn't write it. He simply adapted a book to the screen and in doing that he stuck to the original story. Great movie though!

Blackace

Prince of Space said:
Each of Tarantino's movies is excellent, but I suppose if you were to really reach (and I mean REALLY reach) to find a chink in his armor, it'd be Jackie Brown. And that'd probbaly be because it's his only film based on an existing work.

Still, he took it and made it his own - casting Pam Grier in the lead is classic Tarantino. It's an excellent film that only gets better with age. The way she plays everyone in that movie... "No one knows how it's goin' down, except maybe.... Jackie Brown."

not his first movie based off existing work RD is a Chinese movie called "City on Fire" (1987) Starring Chow Yun Fat and Danny Lee Written and directed by Ringo Lam

I didn't really like Jackie Brown either but I'll admit, it's been a long time since I've seen it. I would like to check it out again.

The scene that was most memorable to me was when Robert De Niro's charcter gave Bridget Fonda's character what was coming to her in the parking lot - but it all happened offscreen, you just saw her fall out of the frame... I was fucking DYING laughing in the theater.

Blackace

Alex said:
Isn't Kill Bill based on existing work?

I think he called it a tribute to Honk Kong/Japanese/Westerns films that he grew up on... not sure if that counts... but it is based on something...

Alex said:
Isn't Kill Bill based on existing work?

what blacklace is true, but if there was any basis, then it would be in lady snowblood and lady snowblood 2.....tarantino sampled so much stuff from those 2 movies.

peace

way more

You people are nuts. Jackie Brown is a Quentin movie caper, a sort of heist movie straring a 45+ year old women. I don't know how it's average, maybe it's not as wacky or over the top as his others but it's a solid film with a good story worthy of acclaim.

swoon

Floater said:
It's a movie about getting old. Maybe 5 or 10 years down the line, you'll appreciate it more.

To me, it's Quentin's second best movie after Pulp Fiction.

exactly. it's a lot more realized than RD/KillBill1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom