• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 14 - 20 Mar

xtwo

that's what happend when you don't listen to GAMERS and think you know what gamers want. where are those NINTENDO POLICY LOVERs NOW (those who were saying that you don't need better hardware, and it's all about better games) :lol

The next month in Japan will say a lot about the DS I think.

They're releasing two sets of new colors (black/white and blue/pink) along with two big releases in Kirby and Nintendogs.

If that doesn't significantly boost DS sales, something would be really wrong.

Jonnyram

Izzy said:
As for hardware, it's once again PSP > DS + GBASP + GBA + GC. Quite boring, actually.
Every fucking week. Not only do you post this amazing discovery every week, you also complain it's boring every week. Noone's forcing it on you.

heidern

soundwave05 said:
The next month in Japan will say a lot about the DS I think.

They're releasing two sets of new colors (black/white and blue/pink) along with two big releases in Kirby and Nintendogs.

If that doesn't significantly boost DS sales, something would be really wrong.

Naruto is also hitting the DS next month.

1 World soccer winning eleventh 8 Liveware Konami PS2
2 Wild arm the tte 4th detonator (the first production edition) Scei PS2
3 Touch! Kirby Nintendo Co. NDS
4 Shining force neo Sega PS2
5 BLEACH - Heat the Soul - Scei PSP
6 Egg monster HERO Square-enix NDS
7 Dynasty Warriors advance Koei GBA
8 Beatmania IIDX 9th style Konami PS2
9 SEGA AGES 2500 series Vol. 17 PHANTASY STAR 2 Sega PS2
10 Bokura no Kazoku Scei PS2
11 wicked seal super dragon transmigration - Kids station (??) PS2
12 Gamen genei satsujin jiken: The Masquerade Lullaby Genki NDS
13 Dynasty Warriors 5 Koei PS2
14 Konjiki no Gashbell!! Tag Battle 2 Bandai GC
15 Harvest Moon : Korobokkuru Station Marvellous NDS
16 Donkey Konga 3 Nintendo Co. GC
17 Pacpix Namco NDS
18 NANA Konami PS2
19 One Piece Grand Battle! Rush Bandai PS2
20 Tales of Eternia Namco PSP

jarrod

Banned
heidern said:
Naruto is also hitting the DS next month.
DS has a pretty solid April actually so far...

-Electroplankton (Nintendo)

-Minna no Mahjong: Kenkou Mahjong (MTO)

-Naruto: Saikyou Ninja Daikesshuu 3 (TOMY)
-Nintendogs: Chihuahua and Friends (Nintendo)
-Nintendogs: Dachshund and Friends (Nintendo)
-Nintendogs: Shiba and Friends (Nintendo)

-Devilish: Ball Bounder (Starfish)
-GuruGuru Nagetto (Success)

tba
-Caduceus: Surgical Operation (Atlus)
-Deep Labyrinth (Interative Brains)
-Ganbare Goemon! DS (Konami)

...hopefully March was the turning point and DS will be able to keep a steady stream of games coming now. It needs it if Nintendo wants to start breaking 30k weekly again.

Oogami

Banned
March DS lineup is much better than April though.

Meteos, Pac Pix, and especially Kirby are all great. Harvest Moon DS would be the best though if not because of the bug. :(

So after seeing the performance of the best month, there's no hope for the DS ever catching up imo. Plus April will make me selling the DS thanks to Nintendogs. :(

Laguna said:
I shouldn´t have bought it form the beginning. Your reasoning is funny but your avatar explains why

Well if that's the old Oogami, he was once a huge Nintendo fanboy and would rip Sony every chance he got. He must've got a case of the gigadent though.

Jonnyram

Oogami said:
But we can see from the way that Lumines sold on the PSP that people don't all go for quality.

Meteos, Pac Pix, and especially Kirby are all great. Harvest Moon DS would be the best though if not because of the bug. :(
I thought it was the GC version that had the bug? Besides, we have no idea bout Kirby sales yet. I'm not surprised Meteos, Pac Pix and Harvest Moon didn't get massive sales. They're third party games, and will probably go on selling for a while.

So after seeing the performance of the best month, there's no hope for the DS ever catching up imo. Plus April will make me selling the DS thanks to Nintendogs. :(
HUH!?!?

jarrod

Banned
Oogami said:
I dunno, in terms of brand March has Kirby and Hanjuku for "big" games while April has Nintendogs, Naruto and possibly Goemon. They both have some nice filler content too... though my point was that DS is finally starting to see a steady stream of games. If that had happened in Jan/Feb, maybe it wouldn't have lost so much momentum.

Oogami said:
So after seeing the performance of the best month, there's no hope for the DS ever catching up imo.
This week would be the "big" week with Kirby, Hanjuku and new DS colors. If that can't raise DS above 30k then nothing short of Pokemon, Rockman.EXE or Christmas ever will. Give it another week.

And last I checked, PSP was the platform in need of "catching up" by about 860k. Doing only 20k a week extra isn't going to do that anytime soon. :p

Oogami

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Well if that's the old Oogami, he was once a huge Nintendo fanboy and would rip Sony every chance he got. He must've got a case of the gigadent though.

Yes I'm the same Oogami, but I don't recall ever ripping into Sony though. :\

Hikki is the only thing I rip into every chance I get btw.

I thought it was the GC version that had the bug?

The DS HM has the bug that can freeze your game, among other bugs as well. Pretty much unplayable right now until they give a fix. :( You dunno how mad I'm at the DS and the game right now.

Cuz I hate Nintendogs so much? This non-game makes no sense and no gameplay, plus Nintendo doesn't need any more kiddie series. The biggest things though has to be the TV commercial. Watching Hikki singing that damn "song" again and pretending she's having fun and the fake laughing made me feel all the rage inside. Pretty much so the DS and Nintendogs are my enemies thanks to her.

I dunno, in terms of brand March has Kirby and Hanjuku for "big" games while April has Nintendogs, Naruto and possibly Goemon.

Goemon and Naruto handheld isn't big. Nintendogs is a risk and will be a mistake.

And last I checked, PSP was the platform in need of "catching up" by about 860k. Doing only 20k a week extra isn't going to do that anytime soon. :p

Well we'll see. But at this rate it'll catch up in only 9 to 10 months. Maybe sooner than you think too.

Kicko

Oogami said:
Cuz I hate Nintendogs so much? This non-game makes no sense and no gameplay, plus Nintendo doesn't need any more kiddie series. The biggest things though has to be the TV commercial. Watching Hikki singing that damn "song" again and pretending she's having fun and the fake laughing made me feel all the rage inside. Pretty much so the DS and Nintendogs are my enemies thanks to her.

Goemon and Naruto handheld isn't big. Nintendogs is a risk and will be a mistake.

When I read shit like this I can't help but laugh. And this is the reason why you're selling your DS? This is one of the worst posts I've read on here since I've registered. :lol

trilobyte

Both PSP and DS have had shit releases the last couple of months, so they are mostly selling on their hardware merrits alone, and PSP will always win given that people can skip games now and watch movies or play music.

jarrod

Banned
Oogami said:
They're both bigger brands than Hanjuku actually. Nintendogs is a bit risky sure, but it seems like it'll be getting a big Nintendo push. Pokemon was risky once upon a time too.

Oogami said:
Well we'll see. But at this rate it'll catch up in only 9 to 10 months. Maybe sooner than you think too.
Sure, but we'll have to see if "this rate" continues when there's a shift in software or holidays for DS (both of which tend to help Nintendo platforms more than Sony platforms). That's the point, you're bringing declarations based off nothing so far. Again, one more week.

Oogami

Banned
jarrod said:
That's the point, you're bringing declarations based off nothing so far. Again, one more week.

This week will be about the same. Max will be about 30k. You really think there'll be a major spike this week? How much do you think it'll be?

jarrod

Banned
Oogami said:
This week will be about the same. Max will be about 30k. You really think there'll be a major spike this week? How much do you think it'll be?
I dunno, I'd imagine it'll break 30k. Kirby isn't that big a game really, it tends to benefit more from userbase than the reverse. Plus this Kirby sems like more of a spinoff than the GBA platformers. The thing that could really push DS this week would be the 2 new colors.

If DS is still hovering between 23-26k this week though, your point might hold some validity. If not, then you can't honestly say the DS is essentially locked into it's current performance trend.

jarrod

Banned
CVXFREAK said:
Pokemon Diamond and Pearl will reverse everything that has happened so far in 2005.
That's true. Pokemon DP + Rockman.EXE6 + the holidays will make for an extremely good year end for DS. It could perform like it did launch month actually.

Me again.

DS Total: 1,925,141
PSP Total: 1,062,372
Difference: 862,769
DS Total Share: 64.4%
PSP Total Share: 35.6%

DS Weekly Share: 34.0%
PSP Weekly Share: 66.0%, a new record (besting 64.9% two weeks back)

If you consider GBA and GBA SP...
Nintendo Portable Weekly Share: 43.7%
Sony Portable Weekly Share: 56.3% (record 57.4% week of January 24)

If every week was a repeat of this week, it would take 40.7 weeks for the totals to meet. That'd be December 29, 2005, at 2,838,704 units apiece. Were DS to quit selling completely and PSP continued to sell at this rate, it would catch up on August 5, 2005.

Last week I estimated DS sales since PSP's launch by tossing its first week and using a fraction of the week PSP launched to estimate a partial week's sales. I've since added in the other systems, so here is an estimate of how the systems have stacked up post-PSP:

DS: 1,285,779
PS2: 1,124,574
PSP: 1,062,372
GBA SP: 592,093
GCN: 241,743
GBA: 14,181
Xbox: 6,763

Assigning percents to this post-PSP launch world,

Share between just PSP and DS
DS: 54.8%
PSP: 45.2%

Counting in GBA/SP
Nintendo portable: 64.0%
PSP: 36.0%

dspspxanadu.gif

A question for anyone with records going far further back than I have. I've seen comparisons from the current set of portables to what GBA was doing during the same times in previous years, but what about the PS2? I'd theorized PSP would eat not only from Nintendo portable sales, but also Sony consoles sales; just wondering if that's actually noticeable.

Rock_Man

Daily Sales 27/3

1 PS2 Winning Eleven 8: Liveware Evolution
2 PS2 Wild Arms: The 4th Donator
3 NDS Touch! Kirby
4 PS2 Shining Force NEO
5 NDS Hanjuku Eiyuu DS: Egg Monster Heroes
6 PSP Bleach: Heat the Soul
7 PS2 Shin Sangoku Musou 4
8 NDS Bokujou Monogatari: Colobocle Station
9 GBA Shin Sangoku Musou Advance
10 GC Donkey Konga 3