• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 2 - 8 May

heidern

it's the only valid conclusion frankly.

Actually the only valid conclusion is that it's too early to draw a conclusion.

Drinky Crow said:
I blame the DS low tie ratio on it having no good games. That, and shitty 1997-era hardware.

Oh right, so what do you blame the low psp tie ratio on?

Not enough games out? Folks using it for the kickass media capabilities? I dunno, I have 6 (!!!) PSP games and 0 DS ones.

Argue the consequences all you like, but the DS having no good games or game-like things out, as well as being possessed of subpar hardware is indisputable FACT.

Amir0x

Banned
heidern said:
Actually the only valid conclusion is that it's too early to draw a conclusion.

I'd say it's the only valid conclusion, because we know GBA tie ratio is not affected by GBC BC anymore and we know neither is PS2. Similarly, we know PS2 tie ratio isn't affected by the ability to play DVDs either :p

It's old news. People are trying to extract bullshit for no good reason.

jarrod

Banned
Drinky Crow said:
2001-era. PSP spanks the Dreamcast handily. The same era that current gen consoles share -- ROCK ON SONY!

Nice edit!
Dreamcast would be 1998 technology. I was thinking 2000 for PS2 initially, but PSP's IQ is too good. It's more like a scaled down GameCube than a PS2.

I point out the DS library is improving (seriously, it's starting at zero right now) and that it has been on the market longer as well as possessed of a larger library? I don't think it'll ever get a better tie ratio than the PSP, though, unless the PSP suffers an N64-style drought. The DS in Japan is being purchased by casuals and an atypical non-gaming audience along with the Nintendo exclusive crowd; they don't snatch up the content like the gadgeteers and the Sony core demographic.

Drinky Crow said:
I point out the DS library is improving (seriously, it's starting at zero right now) and that it has been on the market longer as well as possessed of a larger library? I don't think it'll ever get a better tie ratio than the PSP, though, unless the PSP suffers an N64-style drought. The DS in Japan is being purchased by casuals and an atypical non-gaming audience along with the Nintendo exclusive crowd; they don't snatch up the content like the gadgeteers and the Sony core demographic.

2 million casuals right?

Amir0x

Banned
Sgt. Killjoy said:
2 million casuals right?

There are probably way, way more than 2 million casuals. I think PS2s 87 million consoles worldwide is a testament to this. You don't get that type of success without having the casuals on board - REALLY on board.

I still think it's hardcore mostly purchasing PSP and DS, although DS is probably starting to bring the real casuals in in Japan with the release of Nintendogs and Naruto.

No, the Nintendo cadre of blind faithful -- the folks who buy anything Nintendo-branded and keep third-party sales at a minimum -- is generally in the area of 2-3M per region. I think this'll diminish next gen, though. Throw in a mingling of female gamers and the far end of casual, and the DS is right where it should be, although I apparently overestimated the negative appeal of shitty hardware -- blame it on my gadget geek sensibilities!

Amir0x said:
There are probably way, way more than 2 million casuals. I think PS2s 87 million consoles worldwide is a testament to this. You don't get that type of success without having the casuals on board - REALLY on board.

I still think it's hardcore mostly purchasing PSP and DS, although DS is probably starting to bring the real casuals in in Japan with the release of Nintendogs and Naruto.

I can totally see how DS might bring more casuals, but not THAT many more. Its exaggerated like the whole "PSP only for videos/music" thing.

jarrod

Banned
DS is eating up the youth market too. That's how GBA managed to move past the 20 million "hardcore" barrier... if PSP wants a shot at that, Sony needs to start targeting kids sooner rather than later. Otherwise PSP might find itself caught between markets, selling only to the Sonycore while kids go for DS and jock gamers look to the new high end consoles. PSP desperately need a price drop.

Why would any sane GAMER buy a DS with its current library? Seriously: it has no content that isn't trivial or impaired by the controls, and is pretty fuckin' ugly to boot. The select gamers that DO buy it are either Nintendo loyalists or nostalgiacs raging against the current genre trends and game design orthodoxy. Fuck those tools, since you don't want 'em on your side.

Drinky Crow said:
Why would any sane GAMER buy a DS? Seriously: it has no content that isn't trivial or impaired by the controls, and is pretty fuckin' ugly to boot. The select gamers that DO buy it are either Nintendo loyalists or nostalgiacs raging against the current genre trends and game design orthodoxy. Fuck those tools, since you don't want 'em on your side.

So says you, but we all know how that goes,

Amir0x

Banned
Sgt. Killjoy said:
I can totally see how DS might bring more casuals, but not THAT many more. Its exaggerated like the whole "PSP only for videos/music" thing.

Dude, we're just starting with sales. GBA has like 75,000,000 worldwide or something (I'm not sure of the latest numbers for GBA, so I could be slightly under or over estimating the current nums for GBA). That indicates a LOT of casuals, you don't just get to that number without 'em.

That's what I'm saying - both PSP and NDS have to get to the "breaking" point past the early hardcore adopters and to the real casual rush. Imho, this happens the SECOND Christmas for each system. So in other words, PSP and NDS will both see how much casual appeal they really have when they go head to head this Christmas in Japan. Although, it's no secret that Pokemon and Nintendogs is not going to hurt NDS' casual appeal at all ;)

In the US, it's funny... cause I see the opposite happening. I see PSP gaining the drastic upperhand soon, and then games like GTA and Madden 2006 really doing the driving during Christmas. It's quite interesting to see the cultural gaps - Naruto would likely sell like shit over here.

Amir0x said:
Dude, we're just starting with sales. GBA has like 75,000,000 worldwide or something (I'm not sure of the latest numbers for GBA, so I could be slightly under or over estimating the current nums for GBA). That indicates a LOT of casuals, you don't just get to that number without 'em.

That's what I'm saying - both PSP and NDS have to get to the "breaking" point past the early hardcore adopters and to the real casual rush. Imho, this happens the SECOND Christmas for each system. So in other words, PSP and NDS will both see how much casual appeal they really have when they go head to head this Christmas in Japan. Although, it's no secret that Pokemon and Nintendogs is not going to hurt NDS' casual appeal at all ;)

In the US, it's funny... cause I see the opposite happening. I see PSP gaining the drastic upperhand soon, and then games like GTA and Madden 2006 really doing the driving during Christmas. It's quite interesting to see the cultural gaps - Naruto would likely sell like shit over here.

Yea, at Blockbuster, alot of people ask about the PSP(ok, 2) but i told them the price and they weren't as interested. Noones asked about the DS though. It doesn't help i don't actually work in Gamerush.

Oogami

Banned
Really, the DS is a lost cause. The lead of DS over PSP in Japan is only just a million. Nothing to celebrate here. They are just neck to neck in sales. Nintendogs is slowing down every week and getting owned by a PS2 game weeks after weeks too.

While in America the DS is looking so bad that PSP is gonna get a easy victory here. PSP worldwide sales lead in 2006?

heidern

Oogami said:
Really, the DS is a lost cause. The lead of DS over PSP in Japan is only just a million. Nothing to celebrate here. They are just neck to neck in sales. Nintendogs is slowing down every week and getting owned by a PS2 game weeks after weeks too.

Sorry, but that has to be one of the worst trolls in recent times. Surely these are joke comments? Besides, why are are you crowing about a ps2 game out selling Nintendogs for the week when Nintendogs alone outsells the entire psp library(over 35 games) put together!

Drinky Crow said:
Not enough games out? Folks using it for the kickass media capabilities?

Actually there's more psp games out then DS games.

Drinky Crow said:
I point out the DS library is improving (seriously, it's starting at zero right now) and that it has been on the market longer as well as possessed of a larger library

Actually, it's only been out 10 days longer in Japan.

Why would any sane GAMER buy a DS with its current library?

Hey I like the library so far. Sure it's a touch lite so to speak, but then it is a handheld so in some ways that's quite fitting. Besides, the novelty of the touch screen is still going good for me and playing Mario Kart Super Circuit and Fire Emblem on a backlit screen is fun!

jarrod

Banned
Oogami said:
PSP worldwide sales lead in 2006?
The overly delayed, overpriced Euro release will probably prevent that alone. The way things are going, PSP needs a major turnaround in Japan, DS needs a major turnaround in America and PSP needs a total launch re-evaluation in Europe.

Oogami said:

While in America the DS is looking so bad that PSP is gonna get a easy victory here. PSP worldwide sales lead in 2006?

While every PSP game is getting owned by DS games and a GC game?

Diffense

I know you guys are trying to troll but...lol...your arguments are so replete with fiction I keep seeing images of the iraqi (mis)information minister.

It's quite amusing. :)

heidern

Diffense said:
I know you guys are trying to troll but...lol...your arguments are so replete with fiction I keep seeing images of the iraqi (mis)information minister.

It's funny cause so do I.

_39061593_min-ap-203body.jpg
07-minister.jpg

story.sahaf.mon.jpg
Al-Sahaf.alsahaf.jpg

wirq13.jpeg

AniHawk

About Fire Emblem, I hope it keeps up with the numbers. That'd really suck for it to be the worst selling console FE ever, after being the first in 6 years (Thracia 776 sold 149k, iirc). I'd like more console FEs, but with animated cutscenes and some real voice acting, damnit.

Oogami

Banned
Before you all forget, PS2 is Sony. PS2 games sells(more than DS+GCN+GBA). The money goes into many things, including PSP investment. They can pricedrop the damn thing, get exclusive deals, pump out must have games, etc. more so that Nintendo can ever do.

And also PSP still haven't launch with any new color yet. So sales spike to come.

And Amercia in sales >>>>>>> Japan in sales you know that? Sony will not be unhappy to take America first while they let Nintendo to have Japan for awhile.

No voice acting. Nintendo's stance on VA work -- keep it out of games, period -- is the one conservative stance they have that I *do* appreciate.

Donnie

Argue the consequences all you like, but the DS having no good games or game-like things out, as well as being possessed of subpar hardware is indisputable FACT.

Only lunatics can't tell the difference between their own opinion and fact mr Crow. :)

Barrage

Drinky Crow said:
No voice acting. Nintendo's stance on VA work -- keep it out of games, period -- is the one conservative stance they have that I *do* appreciate.

Super Mario Sunshine.

AniHawk

Drinky Crow said:

Well they should liven up the cutscenes a little bit somehow. It's just two guys talking to each other for most of the game. Besides, some really good VA can make a game a lot better. They have the funds, they could do it.

- lack of games.... check
- cracking down on homebrew.... check
- expensive and near impossible to find 1GB+ memory sticks.... check

Funny how the PSP had every chance to really go for the jugular and take over the handheld market, now we're discussing if it's even going to beat out the DS and it's archaic hardware lol. True that the US will probably push the PSP over the top but c'mon it shoud be killing it. From what's been announced so far for E3 Sony better pray there are a TON of surprises for the PSP cause atm things look pathetic for the PSP.

Oogami

Banned
heidern said:
Nintendogs alone outsells the entire psp library(over 35 games) put together!

Now you're just making things up. :\

PSP 1st party
1. Minna no Golf Portable - SCE - 337,972
2. Piposaru Academia - SCE - 108,599
3. Dokodemo Issho - SCE - 86,255
4. Popolocrois Monogatari - SCE - 70,364
5. Bleach - SCE - 52,140
6. Sarugetchu P! - SCE - 42,674
7. Wipeout Pure - SCE - 5,772

703,776 total

PSP 3rd party
1. Ridge Racers - Namco - 274,682
2. Shin Sangoku Musou - Koei - 268,514
3. Tales of Eternia - Namco - 157,043
4. Metal Gear Acid - Konami - 99,871
5. Kotoba no Puzzle Mojipittan - Namco - 98,109
6. Gagharv Trilogy: Shiroki Majou - Bandai - 89,202
7. Mahjong Fight Club - Konami - 77,137
8. Namco Museum - Namco - 61,895
9. Armored Core Formula Front - From Software - 58,288
10. Puyo Puyo Fever - Sega - 49,345
11. Lumines - Bandai - 37,271
12. Vampire Chronicles - Capcom - 37,184
13. Rengoku: The Tower of Purgatory - Hudson - 36,424
14. Need for Speed Underground Rivals - EA - 25,689
15. Soukyuu no Fafner - Bandai - 25,622
16. Mahjong Taikai - Koei - 15,264
17. Mobile Train Simulator + Densha de Go! - Ongakukan - 12,861
18. Puzzle Bobble Pocket - Taito - 11,943
19. Sangokushi V - Koei - 9,910
20. AI Shogi - Marvellous - 9,684
21. Shinten Makai: GOCIV Another Side - Idea Factory - 9,534
22. AI Mahjong - Marvellous - 8,649
23. AI Igo - Marvellous - 8,479
24. Kollon - Cyberfront - 8,184
25. Harukanaru Toki no Naka de: Iroetebako - Koei - 1,559

1,492,343 total

That's 2.2 million right there at least. I didn't know Nintendogs was doing that well!

heidern

Oogami said:
Now you're just making things up. :\

That's 2.2 million right there at least. I didn't know Nintendogs was doing that well!

I said:

Besides, why are are you crowing about a ps2 game out selling Nintendogs for the week when Nintendogs alone outsells the entire psp library(over 35 games) put together!

Drinky Crow said:
Why would any sane GAMER buy a DS with its current library? Seriously: it has no content that isn't trivial or impaired by the controls, and is pretty fuckin' ugly to boot. The select gamers that DO buy it are either Nintendo loyalists or nostalgiacs raging against the current genre trends and game design orthodoxy. Fuck those tools, since you don't want 'em on your side.

I got mine for free. Some games you hate were traded in and voila DS! Am I on your side or against ya? I still like ya Drinks not matter your answer.

Oogami

Banned
AniHawk said:
Besides, some really good VA can make a game a lot better. They have the funds, they could do it.

Fire Emblem, Metroid, Zelda NPC should all have full voice acting. But of course Nintendo is a cheap stingy bastard, that's a wide known fact. Why should we continue to buy Nintendo products if they're so damn cheap?

From what's been announced so far for E3 Sony better pray there are a TON of surprises

Of course there is. Sony is best at keeping secrets and releasing megaton type deals like nothing. Remember how we were surprised last October when we found out the price of the PSP? And then a week later RE4 port to PS2 news? Then SC3 exclusive? They're insane in making huge surprises.

Firest0rm

Oogami said:
Fire Emblem, Metroid, Zelda NPC should all have full voice acting. But of course Nintendo is a cheap stingy bastard, that's a wide known fact. Why should we continue to buy Nintendo products if they're so damn cheap?

Of course there is. Sony is best at keeping secrets and releasing megaton type deals like nothing. Remember how we were surprised last October when we found out the price of the PSP? And then a week later RE4 port to PS2 news? Then SC3 exclusive? They're insane in making huge surprises.

Wow really?

AniHawk

Oogami said:

Because the games fucking rock. I'm a little torn on Metroid though. I think FE and Zelda oughtta have some VA, yeah, but Metroid should keep Samus as a silent badass. Let her actions speak for her. Metroid Fusion was neat, but a bit out of line.

EDIT: Isn't that PSP vs. DS list about a month old now?

LowTecky

PSP is 250 in America. Shock and Awe!

Metroid? There would be like 3 sentences of dialogue.

Firest0rm

Oogami said:
How do you know for the week Nintendogs outsold the whole PSP library? We only know the Top 10 software sales. Top 11-100 have bunch of PSP games too you know.

Very likely that they don't equal to 64,000 though. We know for sure that they all did below 11,000 that week. Plus most are WAY below 11,000. PSP software sales are highly unlikely to have sold near 64,000 this week.

AniHawk

Cold-Steel said:
Ugh AniHawk, give Metroid voice acting.

Echoes was PAINFUL without it.

Echoes had just enough with the computer and alien language. You could hear some human voices during the Ing attack too, and that was fine. I would not like hearing Samus talk. What the fuck would she say? And if she's reading computer scans and crap like that, why would those be talking?

Oogami

Banned
AniHawk said:
Because the games fucking rock.

I agree. But in these times of days a game that rocks isn't quite enough anymore. It also needs big budget that makes the game looks expensive - VA, Hollywood movie type scenes, hours of CG/FMV, mind-blowing(not simple) HDTV progressive scan support graphics, surround DLP2 sound, online, huge marketing, etc. Nintendo aims not to do any of these.

Metroid? There would be like 3 sentences of dialogue

Not just Samus. The other characters as well.

Top Bottom