• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 2, 2012 (Jan 09 - Jan 15)

test_account

XP-39C²
3DS's huge momentum sure helped Ace Combat, and SD Gundam...

Fact of the matter is this, PW was a game designed for handheld play through and through. It was from a franchise that already had a decently received portable iteration in recent history (Portable Ops), focused on multiplayer, a userbase larger than 10 million to draw from, and had an incredibly strong marketing campaign. Resident Evil: Revelations has absolutely none of this going for it.
I keep seeing this but the 3rd party sales have been worrying outside of Capcom recently - i'm hoping the fact RThief was sold out is a sign that things are going in the right way, but all this talk of huge momentum is really for 3 games. We need that to start expanding out to other games. If Thief and BtL pull shitty numbers then that's going to be a worry.
Fair points. Time will tell how the sales will be. Luckily we dont have to wait long for the results.

If you're not willing to say Inazuma Eleven was a bomb with a 35% first week sell through, why are you condemning Ace Combat? Is it because it debuted worse than a PSP entry? So did that Gundam game. Hell, that Gundam game debuted lower on 3DS compared to PSP despite the latter having the smaller install base at the time of its first SD Gundam release.

I think IE Go is a disappointment for Level-5, but Hino's crazy.

During Christmas? It kept selling well in December and still now, he's selling. It didn't see price drops as Ni no Kuni last year.

AC did shitty numbers in absolute terms -probably one of the lowest results in the series-.

dacuk

Vita needs a title worth everyone's time and money soon, or else...
Sony should just get Polyphony Digital the fuck away from Gran Turismo and get them to make something for the Vita.

So, you expect Vita to be a hit in 2017...

wrowa

Geez, we had the same discussion a few pages ago and the conclusion was pretty much that the statement "3DS third-party sales are worrying" isn't true by any means. There's no reason to start the very same discussion again.

Orgen

Many Nintendo games for Wii cost 6800.

I thought that 6800 was more the exception than the rule but it is just an assumption based on ignorance :D

pass - big budget last hurrah Wii game but more likely to make the price of the 8.800 bundle look a bit better (?)

5,800 yen game plus 3,800 yen controller = 9,600
6,800 yen game plus 3,800 yen controller = 10,600

OH DAT VALUE PROPOSITION! or something.

Haha that's a good point!

During Christmas? It kept selling well in December and still now, he's selling. It didn't see price drops as Ni no Kuni last year.

AC did shitty numbers in absolute terms -probably one of the lowest results in the series-.

I think DCharlie said IE Go had a price drop IIRC

Geez, we had the same discussion a few pages ago and the conclusion was pretty much that the statement "3DS third-party sales are worrying" isn't true by any means. There's no reason to start the very same discussion again.
There are certainly individual titles that come below expectations, but on the whole things seem pretty decent compared to its predecessors.
2005-10-23

To be fair, though, this comparison means DS and PSP's only holiday season so far was their first month. GBA's timing was very comparable to 3DS, though.

If you're not willing to say Inazuma Eleven was a bomb with a 35% first week sell through, why are you condemning Ace Combat? Is it because it debuted worse than a PSP entry? So did that Gundam game. Hell, that Gundam game debuted lower on 3DS compared to PSP despite the latter having the smaller install base at the time of its first SD Gundam release.

I think IE Go is a disappointment for Level-5, but Hino's crazy.
Level 5 often overships wildly upfront though. They did for IE3 as well, Go's not really breaking past precedent although overall numbers are lower.

I tend to agree with you on Go though. Strikers Xtreme is really the only 2011 L-5 game that did better than expected. Everything else did either about what expected (Strikers, LBX Boost) dissapointing (Layton 5, LBX, IEGo) or megabomba (Ninokuni PS3).

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
On Amazon it's not discounted a lot, and I don't think the situation is nearly as bad as Ni no kuni last year.

nothing could be as bad as Bomb no Bombi. I keep meaning to pick it up as well.

I want to get the PS3 version too - just to see how it is. It at least looks pretty but despite the "eeek bomba" the price has stayed pretty consistant in stores.

I also want the Gundam VS game to come down from the $SILLY$ price tag :D

duckroll

you see, here's the thing - most gundam strat games look like absolute turds, but from last weeks famitsu it looks quite nice to me (and maybe to the odd PSP fan, i dunno?)

I'm guessing from the "it looks like this" you don't think it looks nice (?)

It's not an attractive looking game for Gundam fans or Japanese strategy fans at large imo. Being a RTS makes it even less attractive. The game has absolutely no hype at all and it's one of those Gundam games which will slip through the cracks because it is an unappealing concept with poor marketing and is being released in a downtime period between much stronger and more interesting Gundam titles to the core base.

That's how I see it anyway.

matmanx1

nothing could be as bad as Bomb no Bombi. I keep meaning to pick it up as well.

I want to get the PS3 version too - just to see how it is. It at least looks pretty but despite the "eeek bomba" the price has stayed pretty consistant in stores.

I also want the Gundam VS game to come down from the $SILLY$ price tag :D

I'm biased of course but Gundam VS is worth the money. Having spent upwards of 50 hours online and in the single player component I can say pretty confidently that it's the best overall Gundam game yet. Namco really knocked it out of the park with Extreme VS.

And I almost imported Ni no Kuni but when they announced the US release I cancelled my pre-order. I'll pick up the US localized version for $30 or $40 less than I would have paid for the import and understand more of the story. It's a win, win.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I'm biased of course but Gundam VS is worth the money. Having spent upwards of 50 hours online and in the single player component I can say pretty confidently that it's the best overall Gundam game yet. Namco really knocked it out of the park with Extreme VS.

it looks brilliant - but 7000 yen plus is pushing it a bit IMO. But yeah, it'll get it for sure.

LOCK

[PS3] Armored Core V - 150k
[3DS] Resident Evil Revelations - 180k
[PSV] Tales of Innocence R - 25k
[360] Armored Core V - 30k
[PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Mokuba no Kiseki - 50k
[PS3] The Idolmaster: Gravure 4 You! Vol. 4 - 10k

I pulled these out of thin air.

watershed

Banned
So what are some realistic sales expectations for these two almost mainline RE and KH 3ds games? I see them as more than spin-offs but also not numbered entries but close.

duckroll

So what are some realistic sales expectations for these two almost mainline RE and KH 3ds games? I see them as more than spin-offs but also not numbered entries but close.

I think it's completely different. RE:R is an untested sort of release, so the expectations are less unanimous. It could do pretty "poorly" as in 200k or so total, which would put it in the same ballpark as Umbrella Chronicles. Or it could do better and sell 300-400k, or it could sell what RE5 did in Japan if fans somehow really like it and rush to buy it although this is unlikely based on the current level of hype. Ultimately, we don't yet know if the majority of Japanese RE fans actually want a game like RE:R.

For KH3D, I feel it is basically assured to sell as well as BbS is, it could do a little worse or a little better, but not by much. The KH fanbase knows that this is the next game after BbS, and they're also the type who don't really mind what platform the game is on as long as it is good. I'll say 700-850k is the expected LTD for KH3D, with a limiting userbase possibly holding it back to 650k in the worst case scenario, and in the best case scenario the healthier platform prospects could push it to 900k.

LOCK

I agree with ducky. Both lack the attention of a numbered sequel, but appeal more so than a simple side-story. I expect sales should reflect this.

duckroll

I agree with ducky. Both lack the attention of a numbered sequel, but appeal more so than a simple side-story. I expect sales should reflect this.

Well, in KH's case, these sales are about the average attention a "numbered sequel" would get. Perspective is important, this is Japan. If we're talking about the US, I'll agree that portable KHs don't carry as much attention either.

(Famitsu numbers below because I have no MC numbers for KH1)

Kingdom Hearts - 840,497
Kingdom Hearts 2 - 1,129,196
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep - 733,248

Kingdom Hearts Final Mix - 163,668
Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix+ - 182,162
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep Final Mix - 131,177

Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories - 342,341
Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days - 530,250
Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded - 221,399

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Impressions on first day from Omisedayori

2012年01月20日
テーマ:ゲーム屋さんのお店だより
今週の新作です。
雨の影響で来客数が大幅に少ないので発売日だからというのはあまりあてにならないかもしれません。

リズム怪盗R

店頭展開でモニターやPOPでアピールして、今週一番期待していたのはこの作品。
発売日としてはちょっと寂しい本数だけど、
雨ということもありますし、発売日型ではないと思うので本日の売り上げが少なくてもそれほどはあせっていません。
土日あたりがメインになるでしょうし、そこで売れてくれれば御の字。
ネットでの盛り上がりとお店の温度差がかなり激しくて、実際の人気がつかめなかったのが少しあるかな。
発売日は通販サイトではきっと好調だと思います。
この地域ではお店側は量販店も含めて週末になるんじゃないのかな?

ラビリンスの彼方
完売

こちらも店頭展開商品。
完売ではあるのだけど入荷数が少なかったこともあり、本数としてはリズム怪盗よりは若干下です。
けして人気なく入荷数が少ない・・・ではなく、
他のお店に在庫移動になったために入荷数が少ないとなっただけで、本数があればもう少し売れていると思います。

ヒーローズファンタジア

僕は限定版を購入。
とりあえず遊んでみたのですが悪くない作品になってます。
まだ最初の20分もやっていないくらいですので戦闘などをしっかりと理解できていませんが、チュートリアルがうまく作られていてめんどくさく感じないのは高評価。
作品ではケロロとスレイヤーズしか知らないのだけど、スパロボのように遊んでいけばきっと作品も好きになると思う。
収録作品で半分くらいの作品が好きなうえでこのゲームに興味があるのであれば購入をお勧めしますよ。

今週はこんな感じです。
先週今週と、新作よりも旧作の方が売れていく日常となっています。
まだまだ3DSは元気ですし、
モンハン3GやFF13-2などは好調に売れています。

ゲームはたしかに売れなくなってきてるのは事実。
スマートフォンなどにユーザーが移行しているのも事実。
でもゲーム機で面白い作品で遊びたいと思っているユーザーさんはまだまだかなり多い。

時代がどう動くかはわかりませんが、
コントローラーで遊ぶゲームはやはりなくなってほしくないですね。

Just this, since it's new. However, I must learn Japanese :(

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Well, in KH's case, these sales are about the average attention a "numbered sequel" would get. Perspective is important, this is Japan. If we're talking about the US, I'll agree that portable KHs don't carry as much attention either.

I was frankly amazed at how well GBA CoM did in the US.

Do you google translate these to get an idea of what they say? it's mostly pretty bad I know but there are things that always stick out, such as:

Beyond the Labyrinth Sold out

3DS is still fine,
3G-2 and FF13 and Monhan is selling well.

rest is basically gibberish to me

Mpl90

Do you google translate these to get an idea of what they say? it's mostly pretty bad I know but there are things that always stick out, such as:

Beyond the Labyrinth Sold out

3DS is still fine,
3G-2 and FF13 and Monhan is selling well.

rest is basically gibberish to me

Yeah, I do with Google Translation, but because of its being gibberish, I can't rely so much on it. This is why I need to learn Japanese. :( It could also be useful: I talk Italian and English, but I'd need to learn a third language.

...I miss Sinobi's first day :(

I think it's completely different. RE:R is an untested sort of release, so the expectations are less unanimous. It could do pretty "poorly" as in 200k or so total, which would put it in the same ballpark as Umbrella Chronicles. Or it could do better and sell 300-400k, or it could sell what RE5 did in Japan if fans somehow really like it and rush to buy it although this is unlikely based on the current level of hype. Ultimately, we don't yet know if the majority of Japanese RE fans actually want a game like RE:R.

For KH3D, I feel it is basically assured to sell as well as BbS is, it could do a little worse or a little better, but not by much. The KH fanbase knows that this is the next game after BbS, and they're also the type who don't really mind what platform the game is on as long as it is good. I'll say 700-850k is the expected LTD for KH3D, with a limiting userbase possibly holding it back to 650k in the worst case scenario, and in the best case scenario the healthier platform prospects could push it to 900k.

I agree with both.
I am confident Revelations will do fine, btw.
As for Kingdom Hearts, for me it's pretty granted it'll do similar numbers to BBS; the series has been on handheld for years (instead of Resident Evil) and this chapter seems very important, it has a lot of new contents and worlds and S-E is pushing it. 700k should be a lock.

duckroll

Okay, I don't mean any offense here Mpl90, but you need to relax. Breath in and out. You don't have to go looking for every single Japanese retailer blog which you cannot read, and posting huge quotes of Japanese which you cannot read, just hoping that maybe just maybe there is some useful information in there that someone else will translate. This is not helpful to anyone here, and it is not useful for discussion.

Sinobi's first day sales reports were actual tracked first day sales which he gets as part of reports via fax which he has access to. If a single retail employee or small shop owner posts on a blog that he has sold all 10 copies of a game on the first day of release, that means nothing. If a retail employee who has seen a company fax of first day sales tracked by Enterbrain says that a game sold 34k on the first day, that means a lot.

I have nothing against people who want to discuss retailer trends and opinions based on their blogs and stuff, but it would be a secondary interest in this thread and it is really only meaningful if you actually understand what is being said before posting it. Otherwise, you are using NeoGAF as a garbage filter, by posting everything you see and hoping something could be useful. That's... not helpful.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Mpl90

Okay, I don't mean any offense here Mpl90, but you need to relax. Breath in and out. You don't have to go looking for every single Japanese retailer blog which you cannot read, and posting huge quotes of Japanese which you cannot read, just hoping that maybe just maybe there is some useful information in there that someone else will translate. This is not helpful to anyone here, and it is not useful for discussion.

Sinobi's first day sales reports were actual tracked first day sales which he gets as part of reports via fax which he has access to. If a single retail employee or small shop owner posts on a blog that he has sold all 10 copies of a game on the first day of release, that means nothing. If a retail employee who has seen a company fax of first day sales tracked by Enterbrain says that a game sold 34k on the first day, that means a lot.

I have nothing against people who want to discuss retailer trends and opinions based on their blogs and stuff, but it would be a secondary interest in this thread and it is really only meaningful if you actually understand what is being said before posting it. Otherwise, you are using NeoGAF as a garbage filter, by posting everything you see and hoping something could be useful. That's... not helpful.

I hope you understand what I mean.

I know they were Enterbrain's datas, I know it. I just called them Sinobi's datas because they were posted by Sinobi. However, you're right, and I'm sorry. The fact is that usually Chris posts his report about what retailers said, especially using get6-2 (which, however, has drastically reduced its updates, and I don't know why ), but since Chris didn't post it yet I thought it would have been useful to post what some retailers said, in order to being useful but I repeat: you're right, I've exaggerated. Sorry again. :)

Trying my hand at this. Predictions:

[PS3] Armored Core V - 55,000
[3DS] Resident Evil Revelations - 130,000
[PSV] Tales of Innocence R - 30,000
[360] Armored Core V - 11,000
[PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Mokuba no Kiseki - 23,000
[PS3] The Idolmaster: Gravure 4 You! Vol. 4 - 15,000

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Okay....

[PS3] Armored Core V - 102,000
[3DS] Resident Evil Revelations - 202,000
[PSV] Tales of Innocence R - 32,000
[360] Armored Core V - 12,000
[PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Mokuba no Kiseki - 22,000
[PS3] The Idolmaster: Gravure 4 You! Vol. 4 - 12,000

Alrus

Lets do this!

[PS3] Armored Core V - 103.000
[3DS] Resident Evil Revelations - 185.000
[PSV] Tales of Innocence R - 32.000
[360] Armored Core V - 13.000
[PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Mokuba no Kiseki - 25.000
[PS3] The Idolmaster: Gravure 4 You! Vol. 4 - 12.000

BKK

I know they were Enterbrain's datas, I know it. I just called them Sinobi's datas because they were posted by Sinobi. However, you're right, and I'm sorry. The fact is that usually Chris posts his report about what retailers said, especially using get6-2 (which, however, has drastically reduced its updates, and I don't know why ), but since Chris didn't post it yet I thought it would have been useful to post what some retailers said, in order to being useful but I repeat: you're right, I've exaggerated. Sorry again. :)
Also, my mobile doesn't display Japanese text, so these untranslanated texts really are garbage to me!

Yes, I agree with all of that. I would also like to give a bit of perspective on the sales of mainline Resident Evil games, because people always say that these are million sellers. And while that is true it's worth to take a look at the different SKUs that made these games (eventually) million sellers. For RE5 it looks like this:

[PS3] Resident Evil 5 - 520,564
[360] Resident Evil 5 - 123,817

[PS3] Resident Evil 5: Alternative Edition - 279,951
[PS3] Resident Evil 5: Alternative Edition PlayStation Move Special Pack - 7,957
[PS3] Resident Evil 5: Alternative Edition (PlayStation 3 the Best) - 109,281

So the original vanilla release of RE5 across both platforms did 644,381.

RE4 is obviously a bit of a mess as far as SKUs go, so check Garaph to get the whole picture. Just the GCN version and the late PS2 port had combined sales of 675,778.

I would say it would be pretty alright if Revelations did about 50 to 60% of what RE4/5 did after their original release, which is somewhere around 350k. I can see it doing quite a bit worse than that, but not much better.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
[PS3] Resident Evil 5 - 520,564
[360] Resident Evil 5 - 123,817

[PS3] Resident Evil 5: Alternative Edition - 279,951
[PS3] Resident Evil 5: Alternative Edition PlayStation Move Special Pack - 7,957
[PS3] Resident Evil 5: Alternative Edition (PlayStation 3 the Best) - 109,281

So the original vanilla release of RE5 across both platforms did 644,381.

Not important but for the record Famitsu combined the PS3 the best version with Move Special Pack when the first came out later.

Road

I think the problem is I had to look at this week's release schedule because I had absolutely no idea which games were released. That is, it's not really exciting to go through a bunch of blogs trying to gather info about those insignificant releases, IMO.

But if it is exciting to you, your option is indeed to learn some Japanese.

Tailzo

Too bad the Vita is struggling. I agree with the sentiment that it doesn't have any potential huge selling games on the horizon either. I want dedicated handhelds to survive worldwide. Let's hope for a surprise hit...

rhythm thief R

It was this persons most anticipated game. But it sadly didn't sell well, they attribute this to rain but they think that this will change by saturday. The buzz of the net and that store presence is drastically different, it's not really popular but not unpopular. First day sales online in their opinion are good.

beyond the labyrinth

its shipment was small, and it sold a little bit less that rhythm thief. Seems like he is saying that their shipment was decreased for the purpose of other stores and thus those stores may be selling more.

Heroes Fantasia

He thinks its a good product. He played it briefly and thinks that it fun. He highly recommends it.

Overall new products are outselling old products, the 3DS is "healthy" and Monster Hunter 3g and FFXIII-2 are selling well (in other words major titles are selling well). games are experiencing a slowdown overall though (probably because of the time of year).

sorry if i missed something important. I'm not that proficient but at least i tried.

beyond the labyrinth

its shipment was small, and it sold a little bit less that rhythm thief. Seems like he is saying that their shipment was decreased for the purpose of other stores and thus those stores may be selling more.
Not quite. The way I read it, it's on display in the store front (like Rhythm Thief) and sold out, but the shipment was somewhat less than that of Rhythm Thief. He also thinks they could've sold a bit more if the shipment to them had be bigger, but inventory was moved to other stores.

thanks for clarification, it's still hard for me understanding the writing of natives, but i thought i'd try and help since no one else was helping. :) *starts to study*

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
New releases {2012.01.26}

[3DS] Resident Evil: Revelations <ADV> (Capcom) (¥5.990)
[3DS] Zoo Keeper 3D <PZL> (Robot) (¥3.990)

[PSV] Tales of Innocence R <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥5.980)

[NDS] Maru Goukaku: Shikaku Dasshu! Passport Shiken - Kihon Jouhou Gijutsusha Shiken <EDU> (MediaFive) (¥5.800)

[PSP] Mobile Suit Gundam: Mokuba no Kiseki <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥6.280)
[PSP] Love Bancho 2: Midnight Lesson!!! # <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Love Bancho 2: Midnight Lesson!!! [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Idea Factory) (¥8.190)
[PSP] Bullet Butlers: Beyond Bullet # <ADV> (Asgard) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Bullet Butlers: Beyond Bullet [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Asgard) (¥8.190)
[PSP] Phase-D: Aohana no Shou # <ADV> (Asgard) (¥3.969)
[PSP] Phase-D: Aohana no Shou [Limited Edition] <ADV> (Asgard) (¥6.090)
[PSP] Maru Goukaku: Shikaku Dasshu! Chuushoukigyou Shindanshi Shiken 1 Portable <EDU> (MediaFive) (¥3.800)
[PSP] Maru Goukaku: Shikaku Dasshu! Chuushoukigyou Shindanshi Shiken 2 Portable <EDU> (MediaFive) (¥3.800)
[PSP] Kenka Bancho 5: Laws of Manhood (PSP the Best) <ADV> (Spike) (¥2.940)

[WII] Rune Factory: Oceans (Best Collection) <SLG> (Marvelous AQL) (¥2.940)

[PS3] Armored Core V <ACT> (From Software) (¥7.800)
[PS3] The Idolmaster: Gravure For You! Vol. 4 <ETC> (Bandai Namco Games) (¥9.980)
[PS3] WWE '12 <FTG> (THQ Japan) (¥7.140)
[PS3] Way of the Samurai 4 Plus (PlayStation 3 the Best) <ACT> (Spike) (¥4.179)
[PS3] Rune Factory: Oceans (PlayStation 3 the Best) <SLG> (Marvelous AQL) (¥2.940)
[PS3] Skate 3 (EA Best Hits) <SPT> (Electronic Arts) (¥3.129)

[360] Armored Core V <ACT> (From Software) (¥7.800)
[360] Tropico 4 <SLG> (Russell) (¥7.140)

Not important but for the record Famitsu combined the PS3 the best version with Move Special Pack when the first came out later.
That makes sense. I vaguely remembered something being weird about those, and looking now I see that it was the Best version's "first" weekly number not matching what was given for its total.
Orgen said:
Zoo Keeper, my most played DS game... does anybody know if it has a confirmed western release?
I haven't. I occasionally check Amazon to see if it's popped up, but nope. Until seeing just now it actually had a Japanese release, I assumed there'd been some big delay (or cancellation).

Since I'm a nice guy (and pretty drunk, so don't expect grammatical or translation perfection):

Jan 20th, 2012
This weeks new games.
Due to tons of rain bringing down the number of customers, this might not be a completely accurate reflection on release-day sales overall.

Rhythm Thief R

Thanks to an expansion at the front of the store - game on monitor and the pop music from the game showing it's appeal - this was this weeks most wanted game.
For a release day, the numbers weren't quite great,
But there was the rain, and I don't think that this is the kind of game that must push huge numbers immediately on release day, so I think it will be alright.
Saturday will be the biggest day, and if it sells well that day, all will be peachy.
The difference between the anticipation for this game on the web and in our shop seemed big -- we might not have been able to capture anticipation well in our shop.
I think the sell-through on mail-order sites (Amazon/etc) must have been good.
In this region, even the big sellers seem to need that first weekend to push big numbers in-store, maybe?

Beyond the Labyrinth

This also was shown at the front of the store.
We sold out but the number we received was low, so the number of units sold was considerably lower than Rhythm Thief R.
It wasn't that there was no anticipation for the game that caused us to barely get any units...
They needed more units for other stores, so I think if we had more units to sell, we would have sold more.

Heroes Fantasia

I bought the LE.
Anyway, I played it a bit, and it's not a bad game.
Really, I haven't played more than the first 20 minutes or so, so I haven't really grasped the battle system yet, but the tutorial is really well made and isn't a pain in the ass at all, which is a great thing.
I don't know anyone besides Keroro and Slayers, but similar to Super Robo, if I keep playing I think I will come to like it a lot.
If you like at least half of the series compiled here and you like games, I recommend you pick this one up.

Anyway, that's how this week was.
Last week and this week both, the old games were still outselling new releases.
The 3DS is still doing really well, and
MH3G and FF13-2 are still selling well.

It is a reality that games aren't selling as well as they used to.
It's true that many users are migrating to smartphones/etc.
But there are still tons of users who want to enjoy good games on actual gaming hardware.

I don't know how things are going to turn out this generation, but
I definitely don't want controller-played games to disappear.

Mpl90

Thank you, twentytwo22, for your kindness :p

However, let's examine deeper what RE: Revelations could do.

Resident Evil Revelations is a main effort in the series. It isn't a spin off, it isn't an on rail game. It isn't a remake. It's a brand new main game for the series.
And it's a main chapter being released within the first year of a console, which tries to mix elements from the first three games with elements of RE4 and 5.

This is what the last games with old mechanics did

[GCN] Resident Evil 0 (Capcom) - 190.394 / 400.750 / 47,51% 21/11/02
[GCN] Resident Evil (Capcom) - 119.019 / 267.470 / 44,50% 22/03/02
[SDC] Resident Evil: Code Veronica (Capcom) - 306.778 / 403.962 / 75,94% 03/02/00
[PS2] Resident Evil: Code Veronica (Capcom) - 184.475 / 337.755 / 54,62% 22/03/01

RE0 and Code Veronica did about 400k, and then the PS2 version did 337k, despite being released just one year after the original release for Dreamcast

And this are the more action ones

[PS3] Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) - 321.670 / 520.480 / 61,80% 05/03/09
[360] Resident Evil 5 (Capcom) - 79.182 / 123.817 / 63,95% 05/03/09
[PS2] Resident Evil 4 (Capcom) - 234.917 / 454.979 / 51,63% 01/12/05
[GCN] Resident Evil 4 (Capcom) - 145.533 / 220.799 / 65,91% 27/01/05
[WII] Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (Capcom) - 46.813 / 135.417 / 34,57% 31/05/07

RE5 is the best performer, even if it has been released on a console with a very limited install base and little appeal for the mass audience at the time, probably because it already had a good "core" base, since the game has been released during the third year of the console, after other good core releases, such as MGS4.
Moreover, RE4 on GC shows how much dead the platform was in 2005. It came really too late.

And 3DS, right now, is a very popular platform, with already a great success "core "story from a third party...MH3G from Capcom.

So...what debut for RE:Revelations? I'd say 150-200k is the range Revelations should reach to have a good first week, so at least much better than RE0, a remake released a very few months after the release of Gamecube, and between a bit more than what RE4 on GC did and a bit less what RE4 on PS2. More precisely, 180k IMHO, as well as RE0.

And the total? The game is being released in the first year of the platform, and on a popular one. Normally, games released so early can have more legs than what they would have if released later in the lifespan, due to the young lineup.

RE4 and Umbrella Chronicles had legs, RE and RE0 had legs on Gamecube. So, I believe Revelations will have legs as well, so much it can reach 400k or something more.

At least, this is what the game should do to be considered a very good seller, in my opinion

Kenka

Cutting the apple in two, I would say that 400k would be a good score. 600k would be a great score and 200k would be pretty shallow. Anything above half a million would be really promising for the future of the genre on 3DS.

Cutting the apple in two, I would say that 400k would be a good score. 600k would be a great score and 200k would be pretty shallow. Anything above half a million would be really promising for the future of the genre on 3DS.

It doesn't seem plausible a second Revelations on 3DS because of the plot, the timeline, etc. (even though Capcom would be able to put somewhere a new chapter in between 4 and 5, or after 5, etc.), so another Resident Evil on the same platform would be something different, maybe a remake? Revelations Gold Edition?

duckroll

It doesn't seem plausible a second Revelations on 3DS because of the plot, the timeline, etc. (even though Capcom would be able to put somewhere a new chapter in between 4 and 5, or after 5, etc.), so another Resident Evil on the same platform would be something different, maybe a remake? Revelations Gold Edition?

I think Revelations selling extremely well will have more impact on console style action games targeted at an adult audience being made for the 3DS, rather than just "more Resident Evil on the 3DS". Based on the gaming tastes of Japanese gamers throughout this generation, I don't expect Revelations to be able to pull in 500k and over. If it does though, it might convince other developers to put more games of this sort on the 3DS in the future.

Mpl90

I think it could also bring other Resident Evil on the platform. I think that, if Revelations does really well, Capcom could bring a remake of RE2 on the platform. Another main new RE...I don't think. But other action games from other software house, why not?

Top Bottom