• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 30 May - 5 Jun

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
CVXFREAK said:
Game-Science really doesn't do editorials. We just post the data and let people do stuff from there.
And even after I help you correct the Japanese sales chart you make a mistake almost right away. :p

Speevy

Banned
If this trend continues, the PSP will be sucked through a time portal and prevent the Gameboy from ever being born. Then we have to fight the Borg, of course.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
mj1108 said:
Plus out of the top 15, 7 are DS titles.

I expect this trend to continue, with all the quality releases upon the horizon there. The NDS is building a very strong japanese userbase, bolstered by strictly software. You can tell when there's a hw spike as well. Pokemon Emerald pops back in, I have noticed some upwards movement from Naruto 3 & Shiba, (on the recent dailies) Wario or some older NDS title makes an appearance as well.

I would imagine 3rd parties are taking notice and are VERY happy with their sales on the DS platform.

With $2,000 development kits (USD) and lower costs on the DS proprietary media storage cards, 3rd parties can take in a rake of cash from a small budget title.

Speevy

Banned
Cold-Steel said:
I would imagine 3rd parties are taking notice and are VERY happy with their sales on the DS platform.

Or maybe they're just waiting patiently for DS sales to fall so they can simultaneously drop support and destroy Nintendo once and for all.

AniHawk: Its dead to me in the sense that there needs to be more games I want for it. There have been many threads in the past week or two where DS fanboys are circle jerking eachother chanting:

PSP IS DEAD
PSP IS DEAD
PSP IS DEAD

I mean, seriously, games like Madden 2006, GT Mobile, and GTA haven't come out. This was pre-emptive damage control.

As for Europe, PSP will probably do well. Europe and US are the top markets today anyway. When you see a top 10 game for the week selling 8,000 copies, you know Japan is becoming less and less powerful of a market. The Top 10 US game probably sold at least triple that during a week.

I don't see a flood of photoshops, bomba jokes, marketshare freakout graphs, and over all ridiculous comments

Yeah because bomba was in at that time. That and before PSP's release, DS fans were still screaming its demise:

AAAHHH GAME GEAR 2
TURBO EXPRESS WHAT?
THEY MIGHT AS WELL CALL IT NOMAD 2 LOL ROFL

Then it came out and kicked ass. It was just a knee jerk reaction. When PSP starts kicking ass again, it will depend on the DS fanboys.

AniHawk

The Experiment said:
AniHawk: Its dead to me in the sense that there needs to be more games I want for it. There have been many threads in the past week or two where DS fanboys are circle jerking eachother chanting:

PSP IS DEAD
PSP IS DEAD
PSP IS DEAD

I mean, seriously, games like Madden 2006, GT Mobile, and GTA haven't come out. This was pre-emptive damage control.

As for Europe, PSP will probably do well. Europe and US are the top markets today anyway. When you see a top 10 game for the week selling 8,000 copies, you know Japan is becoming less and less powerful of a market. The Top 10 US game probably sold at least triple that during a week.

Yeah because bomba was in at that time. That and before PSP's release, DS fans were still screaming its demise:

AAAHHH GAME GEAR 2
TURBO EXPRESS WHAT?

Then it came out and kicked ass. It was just a knee jerk reaction. When PSP starts kicking ass again, it will depend on the DS fanboys.

Jeez, is this what I sound like?

The Experiment said:

AAAHHH GAME GEAR 2
TURBO EXPRESS WHAT?

No no, don't get me wrong here. I'm not saying the Nintendo fans aren't at fault of this either. I'm just sort of saying, what do you expect after they had been ridiculed for months? :lol As much as I hate it all though, it's not going to go away, this is GAF and what I expect somtimes. So I've just been ignoring it.

Honestly though, you must see that it's not as bad as back then though. I can only recall one PSP photoshop, the one with it tilted vertically. I guess that one with it being buried counts too, but that's about it. That and well, as someone else pointed out earlier, the sales threads are very "boring" and focus more on a serious discussion of speculation, rather than humor. Personally I find that to be a good thing, and will happily enjoy it until the next gen consoles launch. I'm really only here to see how something is doing, not to float and gloat. That and see what other people think will become of a system, game, or market. I mean, I think I've always said that I've never been much of a sales happy person anywho.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Sigh, what war? I own both a DS and a PSP and as long as there are games I want to play for both systems I'll be happy.

PSP is currently hitting a dry spell, but I just recently got the mad addictive Hot Shots Golf, and have Adventure Player and the School Rumble game on preorder. Tenchi no Mon looks good, but I'll wait for the English version. My PSP want list is still nicely populated - GTA, Makkai Wars (PLEASE REVIVE IT), Twelve, Namco Museum, etc, maybe an rpg port (Ys6, ToE, Popolcrois), and hey, maybe I'll even splurge for Sims 2 PSP :) Psst... PSP games take longer to develop than what you were used to handheld-wise.

As for the DS the time is ripe for the meatier games such as Kirby, Castlevania, Mario Kart, etc. For the upcoming period I have Kirby, Meteos, Bomberman, and Rakuhiki Jiten preordered. Also on the major want list: Animal Crossing, Lost in Blue, Another Code/Trace Memory, Nintendogs, Advance Wars, Ultimate * Games, Harvest Moon, Zelda DS (You know it's coming), Egg Monster Hero, Caduceus. And you know those silly Japanese will come up with more quirky titles.

For the most part, I'm a happy gamer.

Ruzbeh

Banned
Tempy said:
Sigh, what war? I own both a DS and a PSP and as long as there are games I want to play for both systems I'll be happy.
What war? Well, some people don't have 400 dollars to spend on both a DS and a PSP.

Oops, did I say some people? I meant to say everyone except you. :lol

Teh war is not over yet, Sony. >=(

lol @ thread ... and the hardware numbers aren't even in yet!

it almost looks like current generation handheld technology can hang with and actually beat future tech sold at a loss.. crazy!

duckroll

Ruzbeh said:
What war? Well, some people don't have 400 dollars to spend on both a DS and a PSP.

Oops, did I say some people? I meant to say everyone except you. :lol

Teh war is not over yet, Sony. >=(

This is why poor people have no place here! The future of gaming = all or nothing! :lol

Apenheul

Oh please not "but THIS-GAME, THAT-GAME and THAT-OTHER-GAME haven't come out yet" again. That kind of speculation hasn't worked out for either handheld yet. All the time we see other titles in the top 10 than we had expected (at least the new titles), unless it's from Square-Enix of course.

Bebpo said:
Well to be fair, when the PSP was winning we got hilarious photoshops and jokes. With the DS in the lead it's just boring stastical predictions and stuff no one cares about.
If such things come back to bite group A in the ass, group B takes note. :)

Honestly though, you must see that it's not as bad as back then though

I agree but those comments still existed.

Anyway, these sale threads are one big jerk off. I just kind of look at them to see what is actually out since the Japanese GAF members don't buy any and every release. I just threw up the damage control to prevent the DS fans from rushing in.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
ki/oon said:
Hardware sales :

DS : 34000
PSP : 23000

Where are the other numbers? DS is more in competition with the PS2 than PSP week over week at this point. Another sound Trouncing of the PSP which isn't selling bad at all just not as good as DS which apparently is all that matters.

Yeah ki/oon's prediction looks to be about the right number. DS didn't have a big hit like Gundum out, and the PSP had it's first game in the top 10 for awhile.

I thought Jissen Pachislot would have sold more like 15,000. I thought it was fairly popular over in Japan.

Do any more DS games come out next week? I know in a week or two there is Geomon and Famicon Wars coming out plus the next entry in the Brain Training series. Those 3 games should all do fairly well.

This is off topic but when are the NPD numbers coming in for May?

ki/oon

It's not a prediction, these are actual rough numbers, as the ones I've given on previous weeks.

DS is once again widening the gap but this is bad news for DS fans :lol

Rocket9

Oogami said:
So DS has dropped from last week, while PSP has risen. Bad news for DS fans.
I officially give this trolling/damage control attempt a C-

It might be higher if you wouldnt make the exact same comment everytime the DS fall and the PSP rise in a week

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Oogami said:
bah how is that even a troll?

that was just a keen observation on the trend, and I described it.

a keen observation based on what? where are the trends? this doesnt really mean anything you know

Oogami

Banned
sp0rsk said:
a keen observation based on what? where are the trends? this doesnt really mean anything you know

Last week:

DS: 39000
PSP: 21000

This week:

DS: 34000 (-5000)
PSP: 23000 (+2000)

The trend is that, PSP catching up by +2000 and DS losing steam by -5000 last week. So is that supposed to be good news for DS fans?

sprsk

Oogami said:
Last week:

This week:

The trend is that, PSP catching up by +2000 and DS losing steam by -5000 last week. So is that supposed to be good news for DS fans?

its non news, the only new game was fist of the north star and its not big enough to move systems, psp got a new game at #4 which obviously boosted sales just a little. You cant just look at hardware numbers and assume that they mean something by themselves.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
the war between PSP and DS is in the games. I own both. Neither Sony nor Nintendo needs to sway me to buy either. What they need to do is get some great f'ing games out for them. Nintendo is doing this. Hell, I'm buying three games this month and two of them are nintendo (Meteos and Kirby). So what the fuck sony? must be nice to release a $250 handheld system and then your only fucking contribution to it for the next 3 months is a bunch of fucking year old movies.

But it is still gaining on the PSP. Which is a good thing even if it had a smaller gap in between the two systems for the week. It widened the lead overall by that much more.

sprsk

Stopsign said:
But it is still gaining on the PSP. Which is a good thing even if it had a smaller gap in between the two systems for the week. It widened the lead overall by that much more.

thats just spin, but the lack\growth in sales this week dont mean anything.

Oogami said:
It's not good OR bad.

Hypothetical person week of March 7 said:
DS: 26,537 (25,759 last week)
PSP: 46,307 (47,633 last week)

Bad news for PSP fans.

EDIT:
GCN: 4,245 (3,635)
PS2: 41,349 (44,228)

Also for PS2 fans. ;)

NWO

StephaneC said:
where are ps2, xbox and other number ?

Wait you actually bothered to type Xbox which gets about 225 in sales every week in Japan but you couldn't pick one of the hundreds of consoles or handhelds that outsell it on a regular basis instead. :lol

heidern

Oogami said:

Looking at just numbers does not a good analysis make. You need to look at the reasons behind why they occur and in terms of a wider context. So yeah the psp went up, but the reason is that it saw a significant release. Chances are next week sales go back down a bit, probably 20-21K. Not only that, the increase was small, I mean this is still the second worst psp week ever, it's nowhere near the 30-40K a week it was getting through most of this year.

As for the DS, it still is a very good week. Sales were always going to go down because they could not match the release last week of Gundam. Even then. 34K is way ahead of the many weak weeks it has had around the 22K-26K mark and in its own right is a very good week for the DS.

mj1108

Rocket9 said:
I officially give this trolling/damage control attempt a C-

It might be higher if you wouldnt make the exact same comment everytime the DS fall and the PSP rise in a week

It's oogami. Watching him do damage control is like watching a retarded kid debate.

Brain Training has some legs. I think it is because of the small price tag.

Can anyone answer my questions I posted earlier?

Razoric

Banned
Oogami said:
Last week:

This week:

:lol :lol :lol

Wow, sony fans went from PSP is CRUSHING DS!! DS STILLBORN!!! To "uh well DS only sold 11,000 more for the week, DS is losing STEAM! YEAH!" :lol

Oogami

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
DS: 26,537 (25,759 last week)
PSP: 46,307 (47,633 last week)

Bad news for PSP fans.

EDIT:
GCN: 4,245 (3,635)
PS2: 41,349 (44,228)

Also for PS2 fans. ;)

To be fair, these are just bad examples. In that week DS gained only 778 units and PSP decreased by only 1326 units. That's a huge difference of +2000 PSP and -5000 DS this week.

Also in that week PSP still sold better than the DS by 174% and PS2 sold better than GCN by 974% anyway, making the gain/loss over weeks pretty much a non-issue.

Whereas last week DS sold better than PSP by 185%, this week it decreased to 147%. Definitely something to think about.

sprsk

Oogami said:
To be fair, these are just bad examples. In that week DS gained only 778 units and PSP decreased by only 1326 units. That's a huge difference of +2000 PSP and -5000 DS this week.

Also in that week PSP still sold better than the DS by 174% and PS2 sold better than GCN by 974% anyway, making the gain/loss over weeks pretty much a non-issue.

Whereas last week DS sold better than PSP by 185%, this week it decreased to 147%. Definitely something to think about.

no it isnt.

Rock_Man

June 16
Baku-No [Smart Bomb] (Eidos) PSP
Yawaraka Atama Juku (Nintendo) DS
Chou Shittou Caduceus [Trauma Center: Under the Knife] (Atlus) DS
Winner: DS

June 23
Coded Arms (Konami) PSP
Bomberman: Panic Bomber (Hudson) PSP
Ganbare Goemon: Toukai Douchuu (Konami) DS
Famicom Wars DS (Nintendo) DS