• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan charts: Media Create 30 May - 5 Jun

AirBrian said:
:lol :lol :lol Awesome. DS sales are just crazy.

Oh, and is this an all-time low for Xbox?
I'm not sure what Xbox's all-time low is, but as far back as my spreadsheet goes (only DS launch), the lowest was 112 the week of April 18. Hell, this week's 205 is a week over week increase of 27.3%!

So, random stats since there's always too many to tell all.

DS-PSP difference is 1,037,365. All-time high was 1,059,853, just before PSP had its first week in the lead.

Yearly portable shares are 50.6% DS to 49.4% PSP, or tossing in the Game Boys 58.5% Nintendo to 41.5% Sony. Console and portable together makes 57.4% Sony, 42.4% Nintendo, 0.2% Microsoft.

The average DS has been owned for 19.6 weeks versus 16.8 weeks per PSP.

The "If DS stopped selling, but PSP continued at this rate" meetup date is April 13, 2006.

Total share between DS and PSP is 63.5% DS to 36.5% PSP. Though this number was trending toward PSP a lot early on for the obvious reason that it would be impossible for DS to maintain 100%, since DS has been outselling PSP recently it's slowed down a lot and actually fluctuated both ways. It's been at 63.8% +- 0.3% since the week of March 28.

http://www.2and2.net/Uploads/Images/20050609pspdstotalshare.gif
20050609pspdstotalshare.gif

Diffense

My supposed 'damage control' control posts from a few months ago when PSP was selling more on a weekly basis seem almost prophetic now. It still seems strange to me that some people expected a well supported Nintendo portable to crash and burn at the mere mention of competition from Sony.

Not only has DS sold more than PSP this week, it has also eclipsed the PS2 on what seems to be a pretty uneventful week for new releases. If Pokemon still has the appeal it once had (and Pokemon Emerald's sales seem to indicate as much) I shudder to think what numbers will be like when Pokemon D/P hits.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
milanbaros said:
Wow, the Japanese market is DEAD.
Yes, yes it is. From the Media Create site:
Total sales of the top 100 titles numbered 343,793 units. This is 51.81% of last week's average and 46.17% of the weekly average. The situation looks extremely bleak as the market dipped below 50% of the weekly average again, with under 400,000 units sold. Compared with the approximately 617,000 units sold last year (week 1, June 2004) and even with the approximately 582,000 units sold in 2003, the lingering slump in this year's sales is quite extraordinary.

AirBrian

JoshuaJSlone said:
I'm not sure what Xbox's all-time low is, but as far back as my spreadsheet goes (only DS launch), the lowest was 112 the week of April 18. Hell, this week's 205 is a week over week increase of 27.3%
I thought the old low was 212. Thanks for the info. :)

AniHawk

Duckhuntdog said:
The DS vs PSP battle is totally not turning out how I predicted.

How did you predict it?

It might be too early, but I wanna dig up old posts from last June through now highlighting the DS/PSP battle.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
heh, I was always just a quiet hopeful for the DS, PSP is sexy, but it really doesn't have anything past that for me. I've never cared before about any console, for some odd reason I want DS to do well. I guess that makes me a fanboy now, shit :( Although I prefer to just putting it down to the fact that I instinctually root for the underdog in a sports match i have no interest in.

I also notice that since Drinky banned himself the DS is on the up and up. Classic.

MAF and Raoul are doing a piss job of cheerleading drinky since DS totally owning e3 as well.

SantaC

why isn't Nintendo trying to do something about the abymysal GC sales in japan? How about a price drop, a cool bundle or...just anything.

AniHawk

SantaCruZer said:
why isn't Nintendo trying to do something about the abymysal GC sales in japan? How about a price drop, a cool bundle or...just anything.

It won't do much at this point. They've got a good base that will pick up about 200k Kirby games, 400k MP7s, 500k TPs, and other games that should get them a good amount of cash. Right now I think they're gearing up big time for Revolution behind the scenes. Probably working overtime after E3.

SantaC

AniHawk said:
It won't do much at this point. They've got a good base that will pick up about 200k Kirby games, 400k MP7s, 500k TPs, and other games that should get them a good amount of cash. Right now I think they're gearing up big time for Revolution behind the scenes. Probably working overtime after E3.

true, though the revolution seems far off.

AniHawk

SantaCruZer said:
true, though the revolution seems far off.

Well maybe they're further along than we think. Maybe by "not wanting to be last to the market" they were referring to Japan.

Maybe.

milanbaros

Member?
SantaCruZer said:

There really isn't any point. They have the base there to sell games and that is what brings in the money.

jarrod

Banned
ddkawaii said:
When did the white PSTwo get released in Japan? Did it bump the PS2 numbers at all?
Same week as DQ8 iirc. They both fueled sales.

Does it bother anyone else that GBA & GBA SP get counted seperately but not PS2 and PStwo? :/

duckroll

jarrod said:
Same week as DQ8 iirc. They both fueled sales.

Does it bother anyone else that GBA & GBA SP get counted seperately but not PS2 and PStwo? :/

I believe that is because while Nintendo still produces and distributes the GBA and GBA SP seperately, the PS2 is no longer produced, and Sony only produces the PSTwo now.

jarrod

Banned
duckroll said:
I believe that is because while Nintendo still produces and distributes the GBA and GBA SP seperately, the PS2 is no longer produced, and Sony only produces the PSTwo now.
The old GBA went out of production in mid 2004. They're just selling off old stock, that can't be the reason.

They did the same thing with other handhelds though. WSC and Swan Crystal were counted seperately while PlayStation and PSone weren't. And why aren't hybrid machines like PSX or Q counted at all?

AniHawk said:
How did you predict it?

It might be too early, but I wanna dig up old posts from last June through now highlighting the DS/PSP battle.

Basically, I thought the PSP would just steamroll the DS. I mean really just come in and... crush the thing. They were going to Dreamcast the DS, oh so Nintrendo has a new handheld, well wait till you see our handheld.

Nintendo seems to be on to something. What that is, I don't know, casuals or even if they managed to tap a new market with the DS, but whatever it is, it seems to be working in their favor. If this keeps up, how long till Japanese devs make DS the target system for portable games?

I know the two system can co-exist on the market, but this has to have someone at Sony wondering what the fuck is going on.

Rock_Man

Killer 7 bombs!!! PS2 version debuts at #5 and GC version at #7 in the daily chart under unknown games from Marvelous, Spike and Banpresto.
Metal Saga: Sajin no Kusari from Success is #1.

Jonnyram said:
hardware:
DS 34,939
PS2 30,811
PSP 23,225
GBASP 9,859
GC 2,360
GBA 538
Xbox 205

Quick Question: What's the price of (all of) these systems in Japan? I think that the PS2 might be do for a price drop if the weekly sales numbers hold this low.

EDIT: Just doing a quick check on Amazon.co.jp, the PS2 seems to be selling for 18.999 yen, which turns out to be $175. I know the PS2 is listed as "open price" by Sony's website. Is this the street price, cause if it is, I'd say a price drop could help quite a bit.

G4life98

Duckhuntdog said:
Basically, I thought the PSP would just steamroll the DS. I mean really just come in and... crush the thing. They were going to Dreamcast the DS, oh so Nintrendo has a new handheld, well wait till you see our handheld.

Nintendo seems to be on to something. What that is, I don't know, casuals or even if they managed to tap a new market with the DS, but whatever it is, it seems to be working in their favor. If this keeps up, how long till Japanese devs make DS the target system for portable games?

I know the two system can co-exist on the market, but this has to have someone at Sony wondering what the fuck is going on.

Nintendo has basically started to tap the women and non/rare-gamer markets with these inviting and easy to pick-up non-traditional games.

just my two cents...

Vieo

I'm gonna get a Revolution if only to play the backlog of GCN games (Resident Evil 4, all Zelda games, Metroid Prime 2, Metal Gear Solid, Mariod Sunshine, Paper Mario, etc). I want to get a DS, but if I buy one and they come out with a redesigned more visually a appealing model, I am cry.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
jarrod said:
Metal Saga looks pretty good... I heard WD is interested in bringing it over too!

Is that the Metal Max sequel? I remember reading about those games long ago in the SFC games - Data East RPG right? That would be cool if it came over here.

Vieo said:
I'm gonna get a Revolution if only to play the backlog of GCN games (Resident Evil 4, all Zelda games, Metroid Prime 2, Metal Gear Solid, Mariod Sunshine, Paper Mario, etc). I want to get a DS, but if I buy one and they come out with a redesigned more visually a appealing model, I am cry.

buy a gc??

Vieo

ThongyDonk said:
buy a gc??

I had a GCN but I sold it after I beat Metroid Prime. I had a PS2 and sold it after I beat Final Fantasy X. And I sold my Dreamcast(which I won) after I beat Shenmue. I also had a GBA, which I sold after beating Mario Kart.

For some reason ever since PSOne, I haven't been able to hang on to a console. I've become a PC gamer mostly(I've got so many PC games, I probably can't even count them). Whenever I get a console, I only hang onto it for about four months on average then end up selling it. I don't know what to attribute this to. =/

Calidor

wow, the ds is doing awesome on japan, i wonder if DS will outsell the PSP for more than 2 million by the end of the year

Top Bottom