• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan RPG players (Beppo I'm calling you)

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Tell me some good GBA rpgs... there are so many out there, I have a bus ride to Nagoya tomorrow.. so any suggestions would be great

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
LEOsh played the ARSE out of Eye of the Beholder... but that's not gonna help you in Japan.

Blackace

DCharlie said:
LEOsh played the ARSE out of Eye of the Beholder... but that's not gonna help you in Japan.

I don't know why I didn't buy that for like 2000 yen when I saw it...

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
what time do you leave tomorrow - not that it matters as i have work, but i could perhaps locate the cart and do a hand over?

Blackace

DCharlie said:
what time do you leave tomorrow - not that it matters as i have work, but i could perhaps locate the cart and do a hand over?

I will be leeching that off of you soon...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Do you want Japan only RPGs or do you not care if they've been released in America? Magical Vacation looked pretty cool though I've never played it. Golden Sun 1 and 2 are alright, and Phantasy Star Collection is good if you're a fan of those games. They also have a port of BOF2 on the system, which I haven't given a shot yet but I bought. Not sure if you've been following the Riviera threads but that's a pretty decent game (I've been playing it off and on lately) and of course you have the usual SPRGs: Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, etc.

Blackace

djtiesto said:
Do you want Japan only RPGs or do you not care if they've been released in America? Magical Vacation looked pretty cool though I've never played it. Golden Sun 1 and 2 are alright, and Phantasy Star Collection is good if you're a fan of those games. They also have a port of BOF2 on the system, which I haven't given a shot yet but I bought. Not sure if you've been following the Riviera threads but that's a pretty decent game (I've been playing it off and on lately) and of course you have the usual SPRGs: Fire Emblem, Advance Wars, etc.

Most English releases I have played.. Which is why I am hurting for a RPG so badly...

sasimirobot

can I get banned for Golden Sun spoilers?

Here they are:

Dudes says, "......."
Other Dude says, "....."
Villan says "!"

end game.

Just replay Zelda Minnish and call it a day

djtiesto

Himuro said:
I seroiusly disliked Mario and Luigi on gba.

Lufia is a good pic, Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, that's pretty much all I can remember.

Honestly, I found Lufia to be almost chorelike to play... The battles were extremely slow paced, as you were waiting seconds for menus to pop up. Not to mention, the dungeons were extremely drawn out and without save points. The puzzles were also not as interesting as Lufia 2, nor were the characters as developed. (Lufia 2 is one of my fave SNES games) It was nice of the game to have a temporary save slot (that would be deleted next time you restart), a feature I'd like to see in more RPGs.

Ironclad

djtiesto said:
Honestly, I found Lufia to be almost chorelike to play... The battles were extremely slow paced, as you were waiting seconds for menus to pop up. Not to mention, the dungeons were extremely drawn out and without save points. The puzzles were also not as interesting as Lufia 2, nor were the characters as developed. (Lufia 2 is one of my fave SNES games) It was nice of the game to have a temporary save slot (that would be deleted next time you restart), a feature I'd like to see in more RPGs.
I agree completely. These were the exact problems I had with Lufia. I had such a misearable time with this.

Bebpo

Banned
GBA? That limits your choices quite a bit.

Mario & Luigi is good as are the Fire Emblem games; but you said you've played most of the US released rpgs already. The Summon Night series looks pretty hot on GBA but I've never played them myself. I think there is a Super Robot Wars game for the GBA which should be nice with the lack of loading. Besides that there are almost no GBA rpgs that are unreleased in the US. So....good luck.

Pellham

Banned
Bebpo, other than M&L, you only mentioned SRPGs. I dunno if Blackace is including them when he says "Japan RPGs", but it does bother me that there are no good traditional RPGs for the GBA..

Bebpo

Banned
Himuro said:
What SMT games are on gba Bebop.. Betty... Bepbo...I mean Bebpo?

There's a port of SMT1+2.

Pellham said:
Bebpo, other than M&L, you only mentioned SRPGs. I dunno if Blackace is including them when he says "Japan RPGs", but it does bother me that there are no good traditional RPGs for the GBA..

Yeah, GBA's rpg library pretty much sucks. As does Xbox and GC. Each system has maybe 3-5 decent/good traditional rpgs and that's about it. For rpgs, you're basically stuck with the PS1/PS2 or nothing ^^; And somehow I doubt this will change next generation either.

Suburban Cowboy said:
Golden Sun is the best RPG I've played in atleast 5 years

Hopefully you mean the 2nd one, which I have yet to play because the 1st one was so terribly generic and boring that I didn't feel like handing more money to them.

Blackace

There are a ton of RPGs when I go to the stores... I just don't know what to get.. I will just pick one with the coolest screen shots.. hahaha I'll report later to tell y'all what it was

Jonnyram

L_taiki.gif

also...
FF1&2 and Tales of Phantasia are both really good.
Golden Sun, Magical Vacation, Tomato Adventure are pretty cool too.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Bebpo said:
There's a port of SMT1+2.

You mean ports. I don't recall ever seeing the two games on one cart. They're based off the PSX-remakes, but have different-looking city maps (maybe the Japan/overworld map too). Plus you can get little snippets of story detailing certain things that the original games never really covered: such as what happened to the Hero's mom (well, she was eaten by a demon disguised as a police officer).

Varian

Bebpo said:
The Summon Night series looks pretty hot on GBA but I've never played them myself.
I briefly played both of the SK: Craft Sword Monogatari games. Their graphics and battle mechanics were like a simplified Tales of Phantasia (if I remember correctly there was even a bird enemy I couldn't hit with my weapon). Character and environment design was a little bland but nice. I don't know Japanese so have no idea about the story.

I think the main Summon Night series is SRPG, while Craft Sword are ARPGs.

Blackace

Jonnyram said:
L_taiki.gif

also...
FF1&2 and Tales of Phantasia are both really good.
Golden Sun, Magical Vacation, Tomato Adventure are pretty cool too.

Funny enough I played Magical Vaction before I moved to Japan... I bought Orential Blue... hope it is ok..

djtiesto

Yeah, definitely get back to us on Oriental Blue... that game had some cool graphics and plus it's a side story to the Tengai Makyo series. Does it retain the humor that the series is known for?

Top Bottom