• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game will be the next big AAA rpg ?

Which game will be the next big AAA rpg ?

• Avowed

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Fable

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Starfield

Votes: 64 41.8%
  • Dragon Age 4

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Baldur's Gate 3

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Witcher 4

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Final fantasy 16

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • Cyberpunk phantom liberty

• Final fantasy 7 rebirth

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Other

• Total voters

samoilaaa

Since 2015 i dont think that we got an AAA rpg than was better than the witcher 3 ( for some its not an rpg but an action adventure game and thats ok ) , there are many rpgs in development , some of them releasing this year

In your opinion which game has the best chances of becoming the next big AAA rpg ?

my vote goes to baldur's gate 3 , it has so many options , so many ways to deal with a situation , freedom to use the environment the way you see fit , alot of choice and consequence and not just an illusion of choices like most rpgs have , a great story that its not really about good vs bad its more about what you think is right or wrong

i didnt include diablo 4 because its mostly an mmo

Last edited:

Labadal

Starfield feels like vaporware, but I still say that one.

FF16 might do well at launch, but it will fade away rather quickly.

I plan to get both at some point.

Last edited:
Avowed could be it.

Obsidian made New Vegas. This time they are not time or budget bound.

Though it doesn't look as ambitious as Starfield. Nothing is really.

Chukhopops

Starfield or BG3 is my guess.

Some of those are barely RPGs but I guess the definition has shifted a lot in recent years.

geary

When you say next big AAA RPG i am thinking at one that might surpass the launch hype and will be talked and played years from now. Outside Starfield and maybe Witcher 4, I dont see one that might achieve that. I mean, all of them might be the flavor of the month/year, but to i think we are talking of a game that might be on top of played games few year later as well.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The ones I'm looking forward to.....
final-fantasy-xvi-2969338.jpg
Xenoblade-Chronicles-3_04-18-23.jpg

Final-Fantasy-7-Remake.jpg
Cyberpunk-2077-Phantom-Liberty-1024x575.png

With the rabid Bethesda RPG fanatics on PC with their modding communities, Starfield without a doubt. This game is one in a generation. The only other developers that make as big an open world is Rockstar.
For the PC community, nothing is bigger than a Bethesda release.

SnapShot

Cyberpunk Phantom Liberty might turn out decent if its RPG aspects aren't as shallow as the base game.

Starfield maybe, some Bethesda jank is to be expected but considering this is the same company that made Fallout and Skyrim.

Robb

Gold Member
Starfield feels like it could get really big and be played for years to come. But it could also just be extremely over ambitious and not live up to people’s expectations.

I’ll go with that for now though.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
With the team behind FF16 I really do feel that is has the makings of something very special.

Outside of that Baldurs Gate III and Starfield. Baldurs Gate III because anyone who has played the early access recently will know its something special, it just needs to maintain that high quality to the rest of the game we haven't seen yet.

Starfield because it just needs to be Space Skyrim/Fallout 3. Unless Bethesda go all Fallout 4/76 its going to be a great time, especially once the modders get hold of it.

Elitro

Can't really understand the hype for ff16, it's Devil Maycry with FF art.

In terms of sales, definitely FF16 or Starfield.

Nevertheless, my bet would be BG3 to to be the highest rated.

The one i'm looking forward the most is D4.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Can't really understand the hype for ff16, it's Devil Maycry with FF art.
I’m type of person who can enjoy both turn based and action combat in my RPGs and everything I have seen from the game so far it looks really, REALLY good and I love the confidence developers have for the game, unlike in the past they have no hesitation showing it off and had pretty smooth development cycle without getting delayed. I have every reason to be hype about it and already pre-ordered Deluxe Edition.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I hope Starfield, but Bethesda have been hit and miss in recent years and I'm not sure this game can meet expectations. I hope it does.

I voted for FFXVI. Final Fantasy XV is one of the greatest RPG games ever made and it looks like XVI is going to be even better. Could even possibly be a game of the generation contender.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Crossing all my fingers and toes for Starfield (and all others for that matter..) to be awesome.

Last edited:
After the previous two Pathfinder games I am really looking forward to Owlcat's WH40K Rogue Trader.
Baldur's Gate 3 is a pretty close second place.

hemo memo

Gold Member
FF16 is going to be divisive at release because of the shift to full action battle system.

Witcher 4 will be compared to Witcher 3 which will make it an default disappointment.

Starfield is the obvious choice not as much the actual game as it will be Fallout in space and a glitchfest at launch but how Bethesda will promote it as the the cure to cancer.

The rest on the list had no chance.

Zheph

FF16 is my most anticipated game but it looks a bit light in RPG mechanics so probably Starfield?

supernova8

Banned
Voted Fable as a joke vote.
They really need to bring get Peter Molyneux on board. He turned into a bit of a bullshit artist with that Project Milo thing on Kinect but at least he had a bloody vision.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
FF16 is going to be divisive at release because of the shift to full action battle system.

Witcher 4 will be compared to Witcher 3 which will make it an default disappointment.

Starfield is the obvious choice not as much the actual game as it will be Fallout in space and a glitchfest at launch but how Bethesda will promote it as the the cure to cancer.

The rest on the list had no chance.
FF7 remake and FF15 were already full action combat RPGs

Braag

FF16 is coming out next and it's gonna be a popular game. Ultimately I think Starfield has the bigger and more lasting impact cause it's been ages since we have had a proper big Bethesda RPG and PC mods will give it very long legs.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
What the fuck, is this some console fanboy poll? FFXVI is not going to be anything like the Witcher 3 is it? I thought it was a linear, non open world game. I am not following it because I have it preordered and just want to play it instead of lighting off fireworks. I can't see that many people choosing this over Starfield unless it is console bias, or I am seriously missing details about FF XVI which sounds like FFXIII with action and hopefully a less shitty story.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Not really. It was still ATB. FF16 is the first true action RPG in the series. (Developer’s words by the way).
FF15 wasn't turn based at all and ATB was basically just a cool down for certain attacks in FF15

FF7 had a classic mode but most people played it in the default action RPG mode

samoilaaa

What the fuck, is this some console fanboy poll? FFXVI is not going to be anything like the Witcher 3 is it? I thought it was a linear, non open world game. I am not following it because I have it preordered and just want to play it instead of lighting off fireworks. I can't see that many people choosing this over Starfield unless it is console bias, or I am seriously missing details about FF XVI which sounds like FFXIII with action and hopefully a less shitty story.
i think people are more hype about ff16 because there are more details about it , people have seen more of the game

right now we know nothing about starfield expect that you can make your own character and there are alot of planets to explore ( most of the planets will empty and just for resources )

samoilaaa

People have some really loose definitions for RPG.
But out of those options, probably Baldur's Gate 3.
well to be fair there arnt many AAA to choose from

there are true rpgs coming out like colony ship , warhammer rogue trader but they are not AAA

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Starfield has potential to rise up to fallout and skyrim levels. Should be played and be in people's mouth for a looooong time unless they screw up royaly. They seem to be going in a good direction with silent protagonist and not getting hung up on being a space-sim.

Baldurs Gate 3 will be great and its my personal pick. However, no matter how big, its still somewhat a niche. Should still be played and talked about for years within smaller circles, just like Divinity Original Sin 2 still is.

Final Fantasy XVI, honestly i'm not as hopeful for this game as many here are. Square Enix has been screwing up almost every major AAA release they had and this is still under risk in my opinion. I hear a lot about how this team is good and all, but from what i know they've been pretty much only working on MMO FFXIV for the last decade, which even had a legendarily bad launch.
Even if it turns out to be a success, i don't think it'll have as much legs as the previous two, probably falling off people's mouth within a year or so.

Phantom liberty is a bit hard to say. I plan on playing it and think it'll still be good, but i don't have hopes for this launching on a pristine state. Should still rekindle the flames for Cyberpunk once again like the anime did.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think FF16 is going to be a really big hit, and looks great. Starfield, I don't know. I watched the gameplay footage from last year and it is ROUGH, like it totally got a pass because of who is making it. People will give it a chance because it's Bethesda but I really have no idea what to expect.

Last edited:

Elitro

I’m type of person who can enjoy both turn based and action combat in my RPGs and everything I have seen from the game so far it looks really, REALLY good and I love the confidence developers have for the game, unlike in the past they have no hesitation showing it off and had pretty smooth development cycle without getting delayed. I have every reason to be hype about it and already pre-ordered Deluxe Edition.

My dismissive tone is certainly being influenced by my own tastes. I do agree with you regarding the confidence shown by the developers, for the people that like the gameplay i'm quite confident the game will live up to the expectations.

I also enjoy action RPG's but my disappointment stems from the fact that i much prefer gameplay that feels more akin to chess (action -> reaction such as the souls series) instead of mashing buttons and locking enemies into infinite stunlock/air combos.

Perhaps my opinion will change when the reviews drop but for now that is the feeling i got after watching the trailers.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Starfield is the next big thing. We'll see how much of a lasting impression will it make, though, considering that Bethesda Game Studios's last truly great game was Skyrim. They've been coasting on Skyrim re-releases and crappy Fallout sequels since then.

I would relish a new triple-A RPG in the vein of old Bioware games like Mass Effect or Dragon Age. The last game that filled that niche for me was The Witcher 3 and I've been waiting for another great game like that to completely rock my world.

Top Bottom