• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which game will be the next big AAA rpg ?

Which game will be the next big AAA rpg ?

• Avowed

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Fable

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Starfield

Votes: 64 41.8%
  • Dragon Age 4

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Baldur's Gate 3

Votes: 11 7.2%
  • Witcher 4

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Final fantasy 16

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • Cyberpunk phantom liberty

• Final fantasy 7 rebirth

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Other

• Total voters

Denton

Sequel to

OPs3sWp.gif

R6Rider

Gold Member
FF16 since it's releasing soon.

Most anticipated RPG for me is Dragon's Dogma 2.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Dragon's Dogma 2.

I think FFXVI will be a very solid game, but ultimately will feel like stuff we've done before. Light exploration and DMC style combat. All that is great, but I don't think it's going to push into GOTY territory for this year. Starfield is a little more mysterious, but so far I have every reason to just expect a more ambitious Fallout 4. Both games will be worth getting, and will be fun. Dragon's Dogma 2 on the other hand, I think has the potential to truly shake up RPGs in a big way and accomplish things we haven't seen before.

Starfield will be the "biggest" as in it'll be the most popular new/full game. It'll be an RPG of course but you won't need to care too much about what gear you use or your stats. Anyone can finish it without giving it much thought.

Baldur's Gate 3 will the be "best" new/full game. It'll sell a good amount but won't get near Starfield. This is the "full fat" RPG if you want depth/replayablity and more actual roleplaying.

Avowed/Fable = we don't really know anything about them so can't say.

Final Fantasy is Final Fantasy....

Dragon Age isn't a serious contender.

Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty is an expansion that'll give the game more depth and rework things. We already know there is new police AI, vehicle combat, new story, new map area, and reworked UI. Possibly redesigned health and cybernetic systems. It'll be successful but you either enjoy Cyberpunk or you don't.

Go_Ly_Dow

Starfield expecting it to be delayed again or release in a poor state. Microsoft can't afford for this one to flop, given how things are for them. Plus Todd Howard's history of overhyping his games.

My vote goes to FF16, the team has pedigree after what they've achieved with FF14 and they must be confident in the product for it to go gold 2.5 months before release.

Last edited:

Fbh

Probably Starfield, unless they fuck it up.
FF16 will be big but I think it will be one of those games everyone talks about for a month or two while they are playing it but then the bulk of people will finish it and the conversation will move on. Sort of like what happened with Hogwarts Legacy (though FF won't sell as well).

Starfield has the potential to have more staying power, like many other Bethesda RPG. It might be the sort of game people keep coming back to even after they have finished the main story (if they bother finishing it at all). I can also see it being the sort of game that will get periodical headlines like "look at what this dude did in Starfield", not to mention the modding community will keep it in the conversation too.

hyperbertha

Starfield is the next big thing. We'll see how much of a lasting impression will it make, though, considering that Bethesda Game Studios's last truly great game was Skyrim. They've been coasting on Skyrim re-releases and crappy Fallout sequels since then.

I would relish a new triple-A RPG in the vein of old Bioware games like Mass Effect or Dragon Age. The last game that filled that niche for me was The Witcher 3 and I've been waiting for another great game like that to completely rock my world.
Mass effect's rpg mechanics disappointed me greatly I don't even consider them RPGs. More like tps with dialogue choices.

Romulus

I feel like Starfield will be a colossal failure in terms of polish. There will be endless amounts of bugs and jank but by 2025 it'll be a good experience after a half dozen patches.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
FF16, if it can deliver as a good story with good gameplay, is I think going to be really big.

Feels like the right creative direction at the right time. Because I think we're on the cusp of a wave of change in that the audience is hungry for something more "traditional" in theme and style.

I mean, it feels like almost nobody is happy with the state of the world today, so looking back feels more appealing than being contemporary

I don't think BG3 or Starfield will be huge compared to The Witcher 3 but I bet I'll still be playing them 5-10 years from now.

I don't love the modern Final Fantasy gameplay so while it will be a hit it and quit it kinda game for me I do think FF16 will be pretty huge.

Esca

For me personally it's Baldurs Gate 3.

FT16 is the next rpg to actually release but it looks more action game than rpg from what I've seen
Starfield could be the next big thing but I'm uncertain of it currently for multiple reasons but I hope it is great

Havoc2049

I think both Starfield and FF16 will be hits, but I think Starfield will end up being the better game.

I'm also looking forward to Avowed, but we need more info and it seems the earliest we would see it would be next year in the fall or early winter. Fable seems way far away, unless the scale is smaller, like on the scale of the OG Fable. I think we'll see inXile's steampunk RPG before Fable.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Starfield.

Final Fantasy will be another Final Fantasy.....being that it will sell well, probably not make a cultural impact but be very well received.

The Witcher 4 which is some ways away will then be the next big RPG.

mortal

Gold Member
I'm a Final Fantasy fan, so my most anticipated is FFXVI.
Although I think among all of those listed, Starfield will be the most popular RPG.

What the fuck, is this some console fanboy poll? FFXVI is not going to be anything like the Witcher 3 is it? I thought it was a linear, non open world game. I am not following it because I have it preordered and just want to play it instead of lighting off fireworks. I can't see that many people choosing this over Starfield unless it is console bias, or I am seriously missing details about FF XVI which sounds like FFXIII with action and hopefully a less shitty story.
FFXVI is open zone, not linear. And especially nothing close to FF13 in structure.

CAPSOL

Tons of big AAA games are releasing soon:

1 - The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
2 - Diablo 4
3 - FF16
3 - Baldurs Gate 3
4 - Starfield

Great time to be gaming!

Last edited:
Top Bottom