• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Companions coming to Diablo 4, starting with Season 3 'Construct'

Draugoth

Gold Member
UJvhVSu9PhsajdQyKoKJJK-970-80.jpg.webp

Diablo 4's new Season 3 companions were inspired by all the RPGs that the designer behind the game's Druid plays, and they're a lot different from followers in Diablo 3.

Blizzard just unveiled Diablo 4 Season 3: Season of the Construct earlier this week, and it's out real soon. As part of our big Diablo 4 Season 3 interview, GamesRadar+ spoke to game systems designer Sean White about the Seneschal, the new companions set to debut in the action-RPG with the new season later this month.

"One of my design goals for The Seneschal was player expression – player expression, player different builds, player choice," White said of the inspiration for the new companion. "It is very, very important to me when you approach a system like The Seneschal, players have many different options.

"Inspiration came from a number of places, I played a ton of games and a ton of ARPGs," White continued. The designer says a lot of the "most fun" games have plenty of "theory crafting and player expression," and that's something White wanted to capture with the Seneschal.

"You'll notice that The Seneschal has a ton of different builds – things that are obvious choices like 'This Seneschal will heal you, that's super cool,'" the Diablo 4 designer added. "But then there's a lot of other interactions where you're like, 'Oh, wait a minute, this can synergize with my build.' So things like that I geek out on."

Source

simpatico

Just finished my first run through the campaign today and it's one of my favorites of all time. Diablo IV is the most underrated game of 2023. I urge anyone who just wants to play a bad ass RPG to ignore the people who wanted to turn it into a full time job and lifestyle. It's got some of the best cutscenes I've ever seen, for both graphical quality and content quality. This game is so good. I'm hyped to start a new class for the next season. I won't be hanging around after I clear it with all classes and play the DLC. I've got no urge to hunt for loot with the best rolls. But just as a game man, this is like a 9.75/10

starfire1978

Neo Member
I have only leveled 2 to 50 and beat story once. Not having coop companions when no one one blows so super looking forward to this.

I still remember when Diablo 3 devs try to justify why they made the companions suck; that it is only short term training wheels until you join multiplayer and that they don't expect anyone to use NPC companions in the long run.

Diablo 2 had great companion options that make your build better, and D3 killed it. And now they are pretending they are bringing in something new to D4 when it was something they killed by choice?

Last edited:
Top Bottom