• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese gamers opinions about the Catherine: Full Body controversy in the west.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You're giving yourself too much credit dude, i never go to that shithole forum because i don't like to read hundreds of posts from the mentally ill SJWs, i find it hilarious that you are far up your own ass to think that you will be the only one that have the knowledge and wisdom to find japanese websites talking about this lol

When i was looking for the japanese reaction to this controversy i remembered that one angry gamer tweeted this website days ago and that's how i found this website.

I don't think I'm the only one who can look for Japanese websites at all, but considering all of the ERA talk in this thread, it's not a stretch to imagine that some folks are also skimming through the thread over there. The point I was trying to make is that it's clear you don't understand a lick of Japanese despite trying to make it look like you found this shit on your own.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Your translations are... google translate right?

I love this comment -

• reseteraはポリコレフェミカスSJWの巣だと知らない日本人大杉・・・
It actually says "Osugi doesn't know this because he is Japanese, but Resetera is a Poly-college "Femikasu"* SJW's nest."

*(Feminist offal/waste product/that needs thrown away - "kasu" is a pretty nasty word in Japanese - its really hard to translate directly - maybe "fucking feminist scum SJW's hive" would work best to convey the tone? Nest and hive are interchangeable with that Kanji)

Also him/her mentioning poly college has the meaning of low intelligence I believe. They are like the bottom rung post secondary option in Japan.

No, it doesn't actually say that... Jesus Christ.

ポリコレ is "politically correct."
大杉 is net-lingo for 多すぎ ("too many").

Don't go correcting crap translations when yours are no better...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I'm the only one who can look for Japanese websites at all, but considering all of the ERA talk in this thread, it's not a stretch to imagine that some folks are also skimming through the thread over there. The point I was trying to make is that it's clear you don't understand a lick of Japanese despite trying to make it look like you found this shit on your own.

Don't accuse us of going to that Poly college femycus SJW's nest, we are only talking about your shitty forum because of the Japanese dude who shat all over you Resetera members lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Don't accuse us of going to that Poly college femycus SJW's nest, we are only talking about your shitty forum because of the Japanese dude who shat all over you Resetera members lol

Come on, man, you know that's not true. The forum is at the center of this controversy and you yourself were talking about it in the other Catherine thread.

Also, maybe cool it on the generalizations of entire forums? Are your so desperate to have an entire group you can point at and unleash your seething rage?

Eh, my head translates it to being more of "There are too many Japanese who don't know that resetera is a politically correct femishit SJW hive".

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, my head translates it to being more of "There are too many Japanese who don't know that resetera is a politically correct femishit SJW hive".

That would certainly be a more accurate translation of the comment!

Come on, man, you know that's not true. The forum is at the center of this controversy and you yourself were talking about it in the other Catherine thread.

Also, maybe cool it on the generalizations of entire forums? Are your so desperate to have an entire group you can point at and unleash your seething rage?

Talking about a train wreck doesn't mean that i want to be inside it. also its not a generalization, everybody outside of that SJW bubble know that resetera is a cesspool that contain the most deranged mentally ill degenerates on the internet.

Quezacolt

Sure, not everyone there is mentally ill like those SJWs, but they are the majority, and they are pretty vocal when it comes to wanting to censorship stuff, or end the career of any devs that don't follow their dream of a world rid of everything that triggers them. It's a group that will get you banned from the forum just for not sharing the same opinion.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Even if not everybody aren't like that they cant express their honest opinion because ResetEra will ban anyone if they don't share Era's fucked up view, so they have to express their opinion through polls. Thats fucking mess up!!! I bet you anything most of them already know they went waaay fucking overboard with this entire Catherine controversy but they never will admit it.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned

Sorry, my internet slang isn't the greatest in Japanese. I mostly use it at work. Political correctness doesn't come up as a topic of discussion much in the automotive industry. So I missed that.

Shmunter

The SJW problem is far broader reaching than just gaming. It’s in all walks of life right now.

Refer to The Last Jedi, Ghostbusters, Dr Who, Star Trek Discovery. Look at disconnect between the activist media and the regular people. Black Panther being nominated for best picture, what???

Then there’s comics, anime voice actors getting dog piled and fired. Comedians getting deplatformed.

And the most egregious, the Cortez women in politics. A no life experience, clueless SJW that spouts the most ignorant nonsense. An affront to basic common sense that is somehow in power and supported by SJW’s.

Things aren’t good.

Quezacolt

Black Panther being nominated for best picture, what???
I enjoyed the movie, but i have no idea how it got nominated for that, when imo, infinity wars was much better. And SJW's ignoring that we already had hero movies in the past with black people is something that baffles my mind, they treat black panther like it's the second coming of christ, when it was only a good movie. But gotta push that representation, yo.

Shmunter

I enjoyed the movie, but i have no idea how it got nominated for that, when imo, infinity wars was much better. And SJW's ignoring that we already had hero movies in the past with black people is something that baffles my mind, they treat black panther like it's the second coming of christ, when it was only a good movie. But gotta push that representation, yo.

That’s right. Judging things on its merits is no longer the mantra. It’s about virtue signalling. How can we trust anything anymore?

What happened to judging people not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character? Martin Luther king is rolling in his grave.

Doom85

Black Panther being nominated for best picture, what???

Okay, I think people need to get over this one. Not every film getting nominated or even winning Best Pic is going to be agreed on by many (how did The King's Speech win in 2010?), but BP is a 1.3 billion grossing movie and the audience rating averages at about 4.1/5. I mean, it's been pointed out that A Star is Born also got nominated which one could call a pretty "white" film for lack of a better phrase.

Quezacolt:

"infinity wars was much better"

I would agree, but not everybody agrees, heck just ask a group of people which Guardians film is better and you'll get very varied results. Also Black Panther works better as a stand-alone film than IW not to mention IW doesn't even have a full ending which probably mattered to the Oscars.

"And SJW's ignoring that we already had hero movies in the past with black people is something that baffles my mind"

Black leads, not a primarily black cast, KIND OF a difference.

"when it was only a good movie"

Again, opinions. I think Spider-man Homecoming and Thor Ragnarok were both good but not as great as many claim but that's fine if they feel that way.

Doom85

lmao its painfully obvious why it was nominated its no fucking secret and thats why people have a problem with it

There's been lesser quality films that have got nominated and won (as I mentioned, King's Speech won Best Pic despite many agreeing it was not the best that year but more baffingly it won Best Directing despite the directing in particular being completely standard and going against the likes of David Fincher and Christopher Nolan), BP getting a nomination really isn't that big a deal. I gave several reasonable reasons why IW wouldn't get nominated, and besides Spider-verse was better than both of them so if anything I'd say that should have gotten nominated.

You can claim people only loved BP for a political angle just as much as I could claim people only IW because they're Marvel fanboys and they got a massive crossover against a long-awaited villain. But I wouldn't say about the latter because it's rude and immature to claim to know people's mindsets and it would be nice if everyone could act as mature regarding the former instead of being all, "bleh, you only liked it for SJW reasons!"

There's been lesser quality films that have got nominated and won (as I mentioned, King's Speech won Best Pic despite many agreeing it was not the best that year but more baffingly it won Best Directing despite the directing in particular being completely standard and going against the likes of David Fincher and Christopher Nolan), BP getting a nomination really isn't that big a deal. I gave several reasonable reasons why IW wouldn't get nominated, and besides Spider-verse was better than both of them so if anything I'd say that should have gotten nominated.

You can claim people only loved BP for a political angle just as much as I could claim people only IW because they're Marvel fanboys and they got a massive crossover against a long-awaited villain. But I wouldn't say about the latter because it's rude and immature to claim to know people's mindsets and it would be nice if everyone could act as mature regarding the former instead of being all, "bleh, you only liked it for SJW reasons!"

i didnt claim that

Quezacolt

lmao its painfully obvious why it was nominated its no fucking secret and thats why people have a problem with it
I still remember how many didnt want white people to go watch the movie, or that they had no right to criticize the movie. Now SJWs and the media are doing the same again, but with captain marvel, again, not because the movie is good, but just because it has a female lead, a racist and sexist female lead.
Before all of this push, we had good female characters, and also good characters of color in games and movies. nowadays, the color/gender comes first, writing a good characters comes later, if it comes at all.

Doom85

i didnt claim that

Maybe not you specifically (although judging by your post the suggestion was there), but that's certainly what other posters here are getting at.

"we had good female characters, and also good characters of color in games and movies"

Not by that much, come on. I mean, it's kinda telling when people try to claim there were strong female characters in older blockbuster movies and they can only seem to name Sarah Conner, Ripley, and (sorta) Leia. And non-white characters definitely had it worse. There's a reason we mocked the "token black guy" trope because it was used badly back then when it was clear they were just thrown in without a thought. Maybe not all non-white characters today are written well but there's clearly more effort put into their characters nowadays, and likewise women characters are more active nowadays then they were back then.

Also, I must be remembering different older days of video games because I definitely do not remember many non-white/Asian characters in video games back then. Heck, I remember when GTA San Andreas came out some gamers were whining about being "forced" to play a black character which, beyond those comments being stupid, showed it was not a common practice back then.

Heck, there's still clear signs of discrimination with gamers, when the indie game Virginia came out which was first-person, it was only by playing the game that players discovered the character was a black woman which led to people furious that they had been "tricked" into playing her. Like, geezus, what is wrong with some people?!

Maybe not you specifically (although judging by your post the suggestion was there), but that's certainly what other posters here are getting at.

"we had good female characters, and also good characters of color in games and movies"

Not by that much, come on. I mean, it's kinda telling when people try to claim there were strong female characters in older blockbuster movies and they can only seem to name Sarah Conner, Ripley, and (sorta) Leia. And non-white characters definitely had it worse. There's a reason we mocked the "token black guy" trope because it was used badly back then when it was clear they were just thrown in without a thought. Maybe not all non-white characters today are written well but there's clearly more effort put into their characters nowadays, and likewise women characters are more active nowadays then they were back then.

Also, I must be remembering different older days of video games because I definitely do not remember many non-white/Asian characters in video games back then. Heck, I remember when GTA San Andreas came out some gamers were whining about being "forced" to play a black character which, beyond those comments being stupid, showed it was not a common practice back then.

Heck, there's still clear signs of discrimination with gamers, when the indie game Virginia came out which was first-person, it was only by playing the game that players discovered the character was a black woman which led to people furious that they had been "tricked" into playing her. Like, geezus, what is wrong with some people?!

so you said people shouldnt assume to know peoples mindset and we should be above that because its rude but your whole comment is based on assumptions

Last edited:

Shmunter

Okay, I think people need to get over this one. Not every film getting nominated or even winning Best Pic is going to be agreed on by many (how did The King's Speech win in 2010?), but BP is a 1.3 billion grossing movie and the audience rating averages at about 4.1/5. I mean, it's been pointed out that A Star is Born also got nominated which one could call a pretty "white" film for lack of a better phrase.

Quezacolt:

"infinity wars was much better"

I would agree, but not everybody agrees, heck just ask a group of people which Guardians film is better and you'll get very varied results. Also Black Panther works better as a stand-alone film than IW not to mention IW doesn't even have a full ending which probably mattered to the Oscars.

"And SJW's ignoring that we already had hero movies in the past with black people is something that baffles my mind"

Black leads, not a primarily black cast, KIND OF a difference.

"when it was only a good movie"

Again, opinions. I think Spider-man Homecoming and Thor Ragnarok were both good but not as great as many claim but that's fine if they feel that way.

I don’t consider ones preference being the issue. What we have here is a popcorn blockbuster in the cookie cutter super hero mould. Whether one loves it or not is not the issue, it’s the question off how the hell does a run off the mill super hero movie get to the lofty heights of Movie Of The Year? None of the recent popcorn flicks are worthy, and this is an example of a racially motivated choice. I’ve seen it, it’s not profound or exemplary film making in any sense of the word.

Doom85

I don’t consider ones preference being the issue. What we have here is a popcorn blockbuster in the cookie cutter super hero mould. Whether one loves it or not is not the issue, it’s the question off how the hell does a run off the mill super hero movie get to the lofty heights of Movie Of The Year? None of the recent popcorn flicks are worthy, and this is an example of a racially motivated choice. I’ve seen it, it’s not profound or exemplary film making in any sense of the word.

Lord of the Rings trilogy, Avatar, Up, Inception, Toy Story 3, amd Mad Max: Fury Road were all

Also, it sounds like you're somewhat

5secondrulesuck: I didn't assume what you were saying, but your comments certainly aren't ruling out the possibility (which is not the same as assuming), and other people were flat out saying it. Also, if politics isn't the reason it was nominated, then mind clarifying why because your claims that's it's painfully obvious don't really add up since people will either say it's because it was a solid movie or because of politics, I've not heard anyone claim any other angle.

Osukaa

If people are offended then don't buy the game. Stop being so sensitive and get over it. No ones being killed or injured by it. It's a niche game come on guys just stop lol.

Doom85

Lord of the Rings trilogy, Avatar, Up, Inception, Toy Story 3, amd Mad Max: Fury Road were all

sorry, didn't finish that. "were all blockbusters that got nominated, why is this one an issue? Also, it kinda sounds like you're just biased against superhero movies based on your comment, which is funny considering many claimed LOTR 1 and 2 only lost Best Pic because the Oscars were biased against fantasy.

Shmunter

Also, it sounds like you're somewhat

5secondrulesuck: I didn't assume what you were saying, but your comments certainly aren't ruling out the possibility (which is not the same as assuming), and other people were flat out saying it. Also, if politics isn't the reason it was nominated, then mind clarifying why because your claims that's it's painfully obvious don't really add up since people will either say it's because it was a solid movie or because of politics, I've not heard anyone claim any other angle.

Not quite sure what you mean, but I’ll attempt to answer.

Those movies you listed, some definitely didn’t deserve it, while others contributed in unique ways to film making. One thing is certain, they were at least distinct for that year and didn’t get bonus virtue points.

I am saying that in a saturated super hero market, Black Panther being nominated is political, and not merit based.

Doom85

Not quite sure what you mean, but I’ll attempt to answer.

Those movies you listed, some definitely didn’t deserve it, while others contributed in unique ways to film making. One thing is certain, they were at least distinct for that year and didn’t get bonus virtue points.

I am saying that in a saturated super hero market, Black Panther being nominated is political, and not merit based.

Even if it's not the best superhero movie of the 2010's, it is one of the rare ones that does feel like it'll be noticed by the Oscars who do like their movies to have a bit of a more complex message than many superhero movies go for, not a knock on those films but even if my 2nd and 3rd favorite MCU movies are Guardians 2 and Infinity War I understand why they weren't nominated. The only superhero movies of this decade that I thought might get nominated based on the Oscars' tastes were Winter Soldier (my favorite MCU film) and Civil War and the latter was less likely due to it not being as stand-alone as BP or WS.

Also, I'd say Avatar and Inception (and heck, I love the latter) are more "inappropriate" nominations than BP. Avatar is pretty standard story/characters only noticed by its visuals. Inception is definitely better than that but in that same year a story with many similar plot elements and ironically also starring Leonardo DiCaprio was released called Shutter Island and was the better film by many who saw both. But the problem is Shutter Island came out early that year and likely the studio thought it wouldn't win and Oscar noms wouldn't increase home video sales with it being out as long as it had been (a key factor in Oscar nominees, there's a reason we refer to the end of the year as "Oscar season") so that's why things likely turned out why they did, it's the same reason LEGO Movie 1 (came out early in the year) didn't even get nominated for Best Animated Film despite many thinking it was better than most if not all of the other nominees in that category. It's not surprising that Disney pushed for BP to get nominated instead of IW because quality is subjective but they likely thought generally the Oscar judges (based on their tastes) would be more open-minded to a political thriller/conflict film than a sci-fi film where superheroes of all kinds throw down with a giant purple man. Again, not a knock on IW at all, but certain films you just know aren't the type to get noticed by the Oscars for Best Picture, it's been this way for a LONG TIME.

Because the Oscars are ultimately affected by release dates and what the studios and marketing push to get nominated. BP being singled out isn't fair in that sense.

JohannCK

the comments themselves are from the comment section of the blog.

They post comments on their own blogs as well as on anonymous message boards. There have been cases where they forgot to log out when posting on their blogs, or didn't understand how the anonymous boards worked and didn't realise that IPs were publically logged.

Searching for this topic in Japanese really doesn't get you anything but reports and translations of the controversy in the west, linking to ERA and Twitter and Kotaku, etc. Even scouring Twitter really turns up nothing in terms of genuine reactions to the story or how it treats social issues in Japanese. It's really all just reactions to the western reaction. If you've found anything to contrary, I would love to see it.

The majority of Japanese (51% overall, over 70% for males and over 80% for females in their 20s/30s) think that same-sex marriage should be legal and the general attitude is that it's not someone else's place to tell someone how to live their life. I'm not surprised that people have nothing to say about it.

Your translations are... google translate right?

I love this comment -

• reseteraはポリコレフェミカスSJWの巣だと知らない日本人大杉・・・
It actually says "Osugi doesn't know this because he is Japanese, but Resetera is a Poly-college "Femikasu"* SJW's nest."

*(Feminist offal/waste product/that needs thrown away - "kasu" is a pretty nasty word in Japanese - its really hard to translate directly - maybe "fucking feminist scum SJW's hive" would work best to convey the tone? Nest and hive are interchangeable with that Kanji)

Also him/her mentioning poly college has the meaning of low intelligence I believe. They are like the bottom rung post secondary option in Japan.

That bit is legit

>Japanese is a Japanese cedar who does not know that resetera is Poly college femycus SJW's nest ...

That's actually "there are too many Japanese who don't know that resetera is a hive of political correctness feminist (insult) SJWs"

But of course most Japanese don't know what resetera or SJWs are to begin with: "SJW" isn't really a term known much around here at all. IF the comment is legit (and like I said before, these blogs are infamous for just making up comments) it's probably from someone who hangs out on these rancid blogs to begin with, or one of the netouyo (rabid hyper-right internet trolls).

Last edited:

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
That bit is legit

>Japanese is a Japanese cedar who does not know that resetera is Poly college femycus SJW's nest ...

That's actually "there are too many Japanese who don't know that resetera is a hive of political correctness feminist (insult) SJWs"

But of course most Japanese don't know what resetera or SJWs are to begin with: "SJW" isn't really a term known much around here at all. IF the comment is legit (and like I said before, these blogs are infamous for just making up comments) it's probably from someone who hangs out on these rancid blogs to begin with, or one of the netouyo (rabid hyper-right internet trolls).

Did they used the Chinese originated word "baizuo" or any byproducts of said word that in Chinese means white liberal or they used a new word?

radewagon

They used to be not long ago until they let these brats out the closet.

I feel like you're half right. I think the western audience has become toxic because of brats on both sides of these arguments. It's disingenuous to paint this as just a one-sided equation. First, there really was a need for a sort of progressive push against traditionally non-inclusive game design. Games were only being made to serve a specific audience but that audience was quickly changing and becoming more diverse. That could have been the end of it. The old guard could have taken to some light changes peacefully and that would have been that. But then gamergate. The old guard dug in their heels and pushed back hard. Then the more progressive-minded audience dug in their heels too. Now we've got a situation where both sides of the argument are becoming wildly unapologetic about their opinions and refusing to let a lot of the smaller things go.

Catherine, here, is one of the smaller things. As a progressive gamer, I recognize that this is not a big deal. Other progressive gamers should let this one go too.

Enygger_Tzu

Banned
It's disingenuous to paint this as just a one-sided equation. First, there really was a need for a sort of progressive push against traditionally non-inclusive game design.

I don't think a game should validate anyone's political/religious/social/racial beliefs to be allowed to exist, and I also don't believe that anyone is entitled to any other's intellectual work, those who wish for inclusivity should just create their own IPs instead of asking those IPs to change to accommodate them.

radewagon

I don't think a game should validate anyone's political/religious/social/racial beliefs to be allowed to exist, and I also don't believe that anyone is entitled to any other's intellectual work, those who wish for inclusivity should just create their own IPs instead of asking those IPs to change to accommodate them.

Well, yeah... they did. Devs like Naughty Dog are pushing their own personal social/political agendas and there are people out there giving them grief for it. There's been a lot of pushback from gamers that seem to think that inclusiveness in games is coming from an outside source (usually journalists) instead of simply from within the development sphere.

Last edited:
Seeing how resetera treats japanese culture as "Trash" and having no respect for them these japanese posts are really a pleasant thing to see.

Jagz

Japanese gamers are likewise furious with Sony and PlayStation (with their censorship of Japanese games), as well.

mcjmetroid

Good to know Japan thinks ResetEra is so full of shit.

I wonder how REEEers will react to such response from the land of the rising sun?

"Country has been banned permanently, Dismissing transphobia, excusing racism, arguing in bad faith, forgetting to leave the toilet seat up and account in Junior phase"

I haven't been to ERA in a minute, they actually tried to put all the Persona games on a ban list? They have their own ban list? For offensive games? LOL!?!?

Kamina

Golden Boy
I haven't been to ERA in a minute, they actually tried to put all the Persona games on a ban list? They have their own ban list? For offensive games? LOL!?!?
Of course they do. And if you were to admit you bought one of these games they’d ban you too.

PSlayer

The blacklist actually started here on neogaf and was mainly indie games or super niche japanese games that sells 5 copies outside of japan.

Thing is Persona and Atlus are too big for the mods to ban it so they found an excuse to keep it(at least for now).

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

Current gaf is one of the best forums right now. Resetera is awful you pretty much have to agree or else they will think you hate gays, females etc, tbh idk where all the sjw came from it’s like the last 2-3 or so it’s been kinda wild.

stickkidsam

"I think that Atlas should say, "They do not buy and they do not play, but they hit the huge mouth quite a bit."

I just want to give these guys a high five

Fuz

Banned

Please don't break the toy.

Top Bottom