• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese pop star in critical condition after knife attack by fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm surprised she didn't have a body guard, but maybe she's not that high profile to usually need one.

as pointed out, she's about as famous as your friend who plays Sublime covers at the coffee shop on sundays. she's basically just a normal girl. it's unfortunate though that she knew she was being stalked, but neither the police or the people running the event could be bothered to provide any kind of safety for her

Salsa

this is in large part thanks to an incredibly shitty and inhumane industry that carelessly encourages the sort of "pretend girlfriend" mentality that leads to unstable people endagering these "idols" lives, beyond how the industry itself already fucks them up beyond belief.

and a lot of GAF supports it.

shit like this should change something but it wont

fanboys gonna look elsewhere as this being an isolated incident

This is how I feel about it as well. The entire industry just seems incredibly creepy to me. Honestly shocked this doesn't happen more often. :(

To be fair, this kind of fanaticism/obsession unfortunately happens the world over. I do agree in that I find the idol industry pretty pandering and creepy.

Poor lady, hope she pulls through.

Mesousa

Banned
And really this is a model that is not new or unique to the entertainment industry.

Look at the Monkees. Look at the way all teen idols have been marketed. The template is as old as the music business. Young sexualized stars with varying levels of musical abilities attracting money from young, emotionally vulnerable fans.

Very true.

Ponn

Banned
The meet and greets would all be mass casualty incidents if there werent normal fans too. Nobody's talking about the guy who spends only $200 on idol junk.

Well, lets be honest here, when Mesousa writes..

Socially disturbed young adults who will spend all of their money buying merchandise, and buying whatever they spit out

Thats a pretty generalized and indirect statement about a fanbase. It's pretty easy for some pop idol fans to take offense to be called "socially disturbed" Add in his backhanded comments about "adults" being fans of the idol scene and well, there you go. How about instead of making any type of sweeping generalization about fanbases, both idol, gaming, whatever have you, we talk about the real problem here that people with compulsive/obsessive mental disorders or sociopathic tendency can be found attaching themselves to someone or a group and need help.

The idol scene is no different than what we have churned out from Disney and Nickelodeon here in America. It's no different than the Kardashians or the Biebers or the Jonas Brothers, etc etc. Hell, look at the shit Beyonce fans do, and take pride in. These type of stars and idols live and die by the fervor of their attention.

What i'm most disgusted by in this incident is it says she reported this guy to the police already and they did nothing, then this happened. Social media attacks really need to be taken more seriously. That's also why i've said celebrities and stars need to take the shit they say on social media more seriously as well, this is an example of why people need to be held accountable for what they say on social media. Also I guess the Japanese police force is as inept as the USAs in this regard.

And really this is a model that is not new or unique to the entertainment industry.

Look at the Monkees. Look at the way all teen idols have been marketed. The template is as old as the music business. Young sexualized stars with varying levels of musical abilities attracting money from young, emotionally vulnerable fans.

I honestly don't think you can compare the Monkees to the outright objectification that the idol industry has perfected.

Can the OP be updated with stump socks clarifications? We have people mistakenly speaking of the pop idol industry and fanaticism instead of this being a mentally disturbed individual stalking a normal girl.

Can the OP be updated with stump socks clarifications? We have people mistakenly speaking of the pop idol industry and fanaticism instead of this being a mentally disturbed individual stalking a normal girl.

it doesn't matter, these threads always turn into agenda fights.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
he was stabbed 24 times and survived? what the fuck

I believe it was closer to 30, but yeah. This isn't something you walk away from. I hope she is given the best care. She is going to need a lot of support after this. Poor girl

Jesus fucking Christ. No wonder security around famous is tight. I honestly don't mind because of crazy fans like these. This sucks all around for everyone involved.

I was reading on Reddit that Japanese pop stars aren't allowed to date or have relations with men through contract, because it will harm whatever image these idols bring to the crazies? And even the stars who do VA on the side can't announce that they're married/dating because they cannot voice a "pure" character after that? Like the fuck.

And that kind of mind set just promotes stuff like this, over 2 dozen stabbings? Who can validate in their mind at all? I'm a lonely guy, but I ain't gonna stab Taylor swift if she doesn't accept my gift!

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Just plain fucking awful. I'm surprised she's still alive after that but of course, she not out of the woods yet.

I'd be also surprised if she even continues down that career path after that.

No offense to Stump, but the idol industry perpetuates this shit in the first place.

Volimar

this is in large part thanks to an incredibly shitty and inhumane industry that carelessly encourages the sort of "pretend girlfriend" mentality that leads to unstable people endagering these "idols" lives, beyond how the industry itself already fucks them up beyond belief.

and a lot of GAF supports it.

shit like this should change something but it wont

fanboys gonna look elsewhere as this being an isolated incident

This is true. Happens in the west with boy bands and pop starlets but nothing like in the east. It's so phony and potentially unsafe for people with deranged fans.

This is true. Happens in the west with boy bands and pop starlets but nothing like in the east. It's so phony and potentially unsafe for people with deranged fans.

The fact that Korean pop has managed to not have an attack like this is amazing unto itself, but I wouldn't be surprised if that changes quite soon. But don't think that kpop is innocent either.

The fact that Korean pop has managed to not have an attack like this is amazing unto itself, but I wouldn't be surprised if that changes quite soon. But don't think that kpop is innocent either.

I once saw a gallery of Kpop fans stalking and getting into the personal space with both male and female groups. A lot of too close for comfort situations that could get easily out of hand with an mentally disturbed person. Stuff like running up and touching their hair, picking through their baggage in an airport, and taking photos of them while they're in a green room.

Radiolab covered stuff like this in a episode recently. Highly recommend listening to it.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/kpoparazzi/

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
I was reading on Reddit that Japanese pop stars aren't allowed to date or have relations with men through contract, because it will harm whatever image these idols bring to the crazies? And even the stars who do VA on the side can't announce that they're married/dating because they cannot voice a "pure" character after that? Like the fuck.

And that kind of mind set just promotes stuff like this, over 2 dozen stabbings? Who can validate in their mind at all? I'm a lonely guy, but I ain't gonna stab Taylor swift if she doesn't accept my gift!

They say that, but in reality they all date. There have been former idols that have admitted they've dated while in their group, and most fans don't really care and don't buy into that purity bullshit. It's like how wrestling fans know everything is fake, but they enjoy it anyway.

If anybody is to be kicked out it's more of a "save face" thing, but if you're high on the totem pole you'll be ok. Hell, one girl in AKB48 got caught dating and she was "demoted" to a sister group, except she ended up becoming more popular than ever since she was by far the biggest name in the group.

I wouldn't be surprised if saw her as his property (waifu or something) and then decided to kill her when he realized that wasn't the case.

At any rate, I do hope she gets better.

It says in the article that she was stabbed because she returned a gift the guy sent her.

It doesn't specify what exactly he gave her though, but I'm guessing she probably didn't want to give the guy the wrong idea if she accepted it.

Google Sasaeng Fans and weep. This kind of behavior has been going on for decades.

I once saw a gallery of Kpop fans stalking and getting into the personal space with both male and female groups. A lot of too close for comfort situations that could get easily out of hand with an mentally disturbed person. Stuff like running up and touching their hair, picking through their baggage in an airport, and taking photos of them while they're in a green room.

Absolutely. And the companies are too cheap to hire actual security, so they let it continue and hope that there are fans sane enough to self-police themselves.

Stuff like this, and a bunch of other reprehensible shit is excused in both genres, and the fans have to come to the defense of their waifus/oppars/unnirs. I've seen it in so many different types in different situations in my time in Korean pop, and it's disgusting.

Doesn't help that while the music itself is fun to listen to, the companies don't even try to preserve the legacy of groups around. What are the chances SNSD gets a remastered album one day? Fucking none, they want you to focus on the next hottest thing. Those above thirty are shoved aside, especially women. The way the Korean pop industry works for women is disgusting, and most male fans, both on GAF and on Reddit, defend it to the death.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Double post, but I know saesangs. As much as international fans hate looking at themselves in the mirror, they pull the same shit when their oppars and unnirs are in the West.

Funny you mention that because BTS were in Norway or Sweden this weekend, I forget which, to film something and they were pretty much stalked from the moment they got off the plane.

Luckily most fans were rightfully pissed about it, but there were people defending their behavior. Basically pulling the whole "I bought your house" argument people like to do when they feel entitled to a celebrity.

Funny you mention that because BTS were in Norway or Sweden this weekend, I forget which, to film something and they were pretty much stalked from the moment they got off the plane.

Luckily most fans were rightfully pissed about it, but there were people defending their behavior. Basically pulling the whole "I bought your house" argument people like to do when they feel entitled to a celebrity.

BTS fans are some of the worst, even worse then EXO now. It doesn't help that Big Hit doesn't do jack shit and instead enables it by working them like dogs. I remember earlier last year, when they did a show in Atlanta, some girl (Who apparently was an anti, I don't remember) threatened to kill Rap Monster for colorist remarks, which while bad, was absolute escalation. Big Hit did nothing, didn't even add security, and cancelled the show thirty minutes in and didn't offer refunds IIRC, it's pretty hazy to me.

Radiolab covered stuff like this in a episode recently. Highly recommend listening to it.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/kpoparazzi/

Thanks for these, quite enlightening. Personally, I think there should be a rule to not have underage performers, so you can lessen the amount of creepy people who have a thing for jailbait. With more adults on the scene, relationships can't be swept as well under the rug as the kayfabe rule thing goes because it's more normal and acceptable. Fans won't be expecting their idols to be pure virgin "waifus"/"husbandos". Cause the whole thing about selling an image of a pure virgin but also sexualised in videos so that fans think they have a chance so they pay more to get closer is FUCKED.

Like here in the West, does anyone believe any of the pop stars (Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Ariana Grande, Meghan Trainor, Taylor Swift, Selena Gomez, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Beyonce, etc) are pure virgins not in relationships? No and they don't get shit for it. That's at least more healthy.

milkham

BTS fans are some of the worst, even worse then EXO now. It doesn't help that Big Hit doesn't do jack shit and instead enables it by working them like dogs. I remember earlier last year, when they did a show in Atlanta, some girl (Who apparently was an anti, I don't remember) threatened to kill Rap Monster for colorist remarks, which while bad, was absolute escalation. Big Hit did nothing, didn't even add security, and cancelled the show thirty minutes in and didn't offer refunds IIRC, it's pretty hazy to me.

Wow this happens to bts often I guess? I was backstage at a show once and after receiving a death threat against one of the members Korean staff seemed unsure what to do and venue manager was baffled that they were not 100% on safety first side of things with him.

Annubis

he was stabbed 24 times and survived? what the fuck

Survival rate of stab wounds is fairly high due to how the torso is made.
(survival being the key point; you can have the rest of your life pretty fucked over from the damage though)

Wikipedia said:
Even though stab wounds are inflicted at a much greater rate than gun shot wounds, they account for less than 10% of all penetrating trauma deaths.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Thanks for these, quite enlightening. Personally, I think there should be a rule to not have underage performers, so you can lessen the amount of creepy people who have a thing for jailbait. With more adults on the scene, relationships can't be swept as well under the rug as the kayfabe rule thing goes because it's more normal and acceptable. Fans won't be expecting their idols to be pure virgin "waifus"/"husbandos". Cause the whole thing about selling an image of a pure virgin but also sexualised in videos so that fans think they have a chance so they pay more to get closer is FUCKED.

Like here in the West, does anyone believe any of the pop stars (Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Ariana Grande, Meghan Trainor, Taylor Swift, Selena Gomez, Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Beyonce, etc) are pure virgins not in relationships? No and they don't get shit for it. That's at least more healthy.

Even if you get rid of the underage members, there are still going to be a number of people who feel entitled to the idols. Even in the west, you still have your share of fans who feel that they own "their" idols. I think even if you get rid of the idol industry, you're still going to get incidents like this because there are some people who feel like they're entitled to someone.

Hell, the woman in this incident was a college aged musician playing at a restaurant. She wasn't jumping around in skirt like your typical J-Idol.

Wow this happens to bts often I guess? I was backstage at a show once and after receiving a death threat against one of the members Korean staff seamed unsure what to do and venue manager was baffled that they were not 100% on safety first side of things with him.

I think a lot of Kpop groups underestimate how well known they are outside of Asia so they probably didn't think they'd have to deal with that kind of shit.

Surprisingly I haven't heard of any incident involving J-idols outside of Japan, although I don't think they have the reach that K-Pop does these days.

Verelios

Wow, that's insane. I hope she pulls through and doesn't let this stop her from living her life. Fans that are so obsessed with stars as to stalk and attack them baffle me. Why? Just why?

Surprisingly I haven't heard of any incident involving J-idols outside of Japan, although I don't think they have the reach that K-Pop does these days.

when j-idols play in western countries, it's usually in a convention or festival setting, which come with their own security.

also despite the few outliers, j-idol fans are generally less rabid than their korean counterparts. nerdier and more awkward maybe. less likely to break into your house or poison your food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom