• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese pop star in critical condition after knife attack by fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kysen

On top of the long recovery her career is basically over now. 20 stab wounds fuck.
The whole idol culture thriving off otakus obsessive spending is terrible. It also doesn't help they have those meet and greet events. Perfect opportunity for the crazies to let loose.

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
when j-idols play in western countries, it's usually in a convention or festival setting, which come with their own security.

also despite the few outliers, j-idol fans are generally less rabid than their korean counterparts. nerdier and more awkward maybe. less likely to break into your house or poison your food.

I saw Morning Musume here at a convention in Houston earlier this year although they pretty much had no security for them outside of the convention. Me and my friends would bump into some members from time to time and outside of a manager or two, they were just walking around like normal people. In fact one of the former members came to a fan party and was just hanging around and taking selfies with fans. It was pretty crazy. No way that would fly in Japan.

Partly because you gotta pay top yen for that kind of interaction.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Nothing new or unique to idol culture, really.

Rebecca Schaeffer

5US3kU1.jpg

when j-idols play in western countries, it's usually in a convention or festival setting, which come with their own security.

also despite the few outliers, j-idol fans are generally less rabid than their korean counterparts. nerdier and more awkward maybe. less likely to break into your house or poison your food.

Basically this.

While their whole lives are considered "over" when a "scandal" erupts for a J-idol, I 100% agree that K-idol fans are way more dramatic and vicious. Especially the female fans. What's worse is both sides of the coin equally allow and subtly encourage these things. Heck korean media sites leave comments on for this exact reason knowing damn well 99% of it will be obsessive dribble defending their idol when they fuck up and completely bashing one that they don't like no matter what the story is.

"-insert popular male idol- being pictured giving a gift to a girl in the hospital for charity"
proceeding comments will be "omg who does this whore think she is getting so close to him. Shes not pretty, how can she call herself a woman being filmed with no make up" with a few hundred up votes -eyeroll-

Either way, yes this is more a failing of the police in this case. They had a duty to protect this woman when she reported she had a stalker and take her case seriously. In typical Japanese cop fashion they did nothing until the incident happened and will get off blameless as usual.

deim0s

But still, that kind of devotion IS borderline crazy or leads into it.

When signing as an idol, they'd better ask for something like "If you're hell bent that I'm going to be 100% popular, you have to protect me from the crazies" in their contracts.

ZoronMaro

I realize it's not the most pertinent question since we're all ganging up on how terrible idol culture is, but good god 24+ stab wounds? in the neck and chest?

How is she not dead? how? Even if by some miracle she didn't get a lung punctured or worse, there'd be so much blood loss, and she's a tiny women who didn't have a lot to begin with.

I'm glad she's alive, that seems like a nightmare.

SoulUnison

Banned
How do you even get stabbed that many times and live? My god.
I feel like there'd be a part of me that'd be all, "Ok, I don't want to make it. This is a lot of stabs. I'm out."

How do you recover from something like that?

She should transition to a super hard metal act now.

Ratrat

On top of the long recovery her career is basically over now. 20 stab wounds fuck.
The whole idol culture thriving off otakus obsessive spending is terrible. It also doesn't help they have those meet and greet events. Perfect opportunity for the crazies to let loose.
Honestly, the 'pop star' title is sensationalist and misleading. She was an idol hardly anyone knew. Because all you need is a youtube or instagram account these days.

Minor celebrities can't really have tight security for their events, so I really don't see much of a solution for these things. This guy was outright crazy too.

Two dozen stab wounds jeez...

Yeah, holy shit. What's the legal system like in Japan? Hopefully this fucker will go away for 25 years for attempted murder and because he's a complete danger to the general public.

Why would you stab someone you admire?

He was likely completely delusional, obsessed with her and couldn't deal with the fact that he was nothing special to her at all. If she'd been worried enough about him to already contact the police then I'm not surprised if she didn't want to engage when he accosted her.

Also saw this from the BBC article:

In 2014, two teenage members of Japanese girl group AKB48 were attacked by a man wielding a saw at one of the band's regular meet-the-fans events.

Sounds like Japanese record labels need to start providing their employees with personal security.

Sounds like Japanese record labels need to start providing their employees with personal security.

Have to remember though, Japan has a pretty low level of violent crimes, especially between strangers (which is already low) so most companies do not provide any explicit body guards and what not in Japan for celebrities. When they travel abroad though they usually have them since the fan reaction and what not tends to be a bit different.

The AKB group as mentioned in your link now has cops visually stationed at all their events and shops since then.

That's pretty fucked, dude went full Perfect Blue. You see a lot of stories about shit like this where the nutters don't get the chance to seriously hurt anyone but it's worrying that this girl came so close to losing her life.

What did I say wrong? I thought the poster meant that no true fan would attack whatever it is they're a fan of but there's a lot of example of how creepy and obsessive fans can be right in this forum.

You are not wrong.

dani_dc

Very glad to hear she woke up and is in stable conditions.

Hopefully she has a food recovery from here on out .
As mentioned in this thread, this girl wasn't really an idol, other than the sense of "she's a singer".

I'm sure actual popular idols get their share of security.

Good to hear she's stabilised, but this event has definitely ruined her life. She likely won't return to her work and will be permanantly disfigured. Simply revolting.

Has the attacker been charged? Probably not, they'd be waiting to see if she pulled through and the extent of her injuries and trauma. Probably also want her statement. I hope he goes to prison for a long time and also gets the mental help he desperately needs.

HardRojo

Why would you stab someone you admire?
From what I've read, idol culture makes it look as if these girls were some kind of unattainable goddesses, so these guys become delusional about them and when they realize they, as fans, are nothing special to these idols, shit like this becomes likely to happen. It's a weird culture in my opinion, but I'm glad to read the girl is in stable condition, I don't know how you make it after being stabbed 20+ times, girl's strong, shame her career is most likely over after this.

Volimar

Strangely enough, my news feed just showed that Theresa Saldana, an actress in the Commish and Raging Bull has died at 61. She was nearly stabbed to death in 1982 by a stalker and has been a victim's rights advocate since.

CTLance

Good to hear she pulled through, at least physically. I doubt her mental scars will go away anytime soon.

Cripes, what a lunatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom