• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Retailers facing RTX4080 & 4090 graphics card shortages

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Guess PC gaming is really ramping up in Japan now.

The Japanese outlet reports that the Akihabara marketplace is reporting a developing shortage of high-end NVIDIA GPUs in the retail segment. The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 GPU remains one of the most popular choices for a high-end graphics card and while the demand is at an all-time high, the actual stock is making it difficult to meet that demand.

A representative from the Akihabara branch of Computer Studio, which received the product, said, ``There's been a lot of demand for the RTX 4090, but it's becoming a little difficult to get it in stock.''

I've heard similar comments from several shops. "There's a long backorder for cheaper models in the 250,000 yen range," says TSUKUMO eX.'s RTX 4090 showcase, where gaps are certainly noticeable. One shop complained, ``It seems like there is a worldwide supply shortage.This may be due to reflection on the RTX 3000 family and to avoid overstocking the market.

FingerBang

It's pretty obvious Nvidia isn't making enough cards seen the low sales everywhere else. I don't think we're talking big numbers, this should be easy to fix.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
A 2022 video about an Nvidia earnings call where the CEO discusses their strategy for 2023. You know, the year we're in right now?

Something that just happen only in Japan and not other regions because reasons

Shop owners are also speculating that this might be a worldwide shortage and not just specific to the Japanese market but we have checked other US/EU-based tech retailers and the RTX 4090 GPUs are available though some shops have more 4090 models on sale than others.

winjer

Gold Member
A few months ago, there were reports that nvidia was shifting all it's N5 allocation at TSMC, into enterprise AI chips.
This seems to be confirmed to be true.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
A 2022 video about an Nvidia earnings call where the CEO discusses their strategy for 2023. You know, the year we're in right now?

It was a strategy for dealing with a surplus of 30XX series cards in the marketplace. Is Japan still loaded with 30XX series cards a year later?

Something that just happen only in Japan and not other regions because reasons
Actually, never mind. I misunderstood your post. I assumed that by "How does it work here?" you meant how Nvidia would cause artificial shortages, period, not whether or not they did it in this particular case.

Spyxos

Gold Member
The demand should have increased minimally, Nvidia does not send out enough cards either. So that the prices do not go down strongly.

killatopak

Yeah. My hentai games are increasingly getting higher spec requirements especially with modding and such. New models for Koikaku, Honey Select and Daz3D are resource intensive.

Top Bottom