• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AIBs expect RTX 5000 for Q4 2024

Celcius

°Temp. member
If nvidia charged $3000, do you think that would weed out some of the scalpers? Or just embolden them?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Really? I thought it was 2025?...

Either way aren't these just going to be larger more power hungry chips? Are they actually going to improve on perf per watt over 4000 series?
When have they ever not improved performance/watt?

Any chance the 5000 series cards will be smaller than the 4000 cards? My case will only fit 330 mm or 13 inches. I've already chosen a new case for the 5090 if not.

Keep telling yourself that
I mean most of what we are gonna be playing till the end of the gen will be console ports. So far the only thing that comes remotely close to pushing the 4090 is CP2077 with path tracing on. With frame generation and 4090 being a total beast it will last me the rest of the gen easily. I'll only need to upgrade when the next gen starts and even then I won't upgrade immediately. I'm a very patient man, I don't buy every iteration of Nvidia cards. Before my 4090, the last card I owned was a 1070 :messenger_sunglasses: .

If you are playing on a 60fps monitor than yeah you are fine

I am playing most games on a 32" 4k 240hz monitor and 90% of my games bring this 4090 to its knees WITHOUT RT

I'm very fine with 60fps. None of my games come close to maxing out the 4090. Only game that does it is still CP2077 and with frame generation on it's not a problem.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Any chance the 5000 series cards will be smaller than the 4000 cards? My case will only fit 330 mm or 13 inches. I've already chosen a new case for the 5090 if not.
What new case did you chose?

When I finish running benchmarks, the first game I'm planning to play is Portal RTX with full path tracing at native 4K with no DLSS.

Last edited:
What new case did you chose?

When I finish running benchmarks, the first game I'm planning to play is Portal RTX with full path tracing at native 4K with no DLSS.
Thermaltake Tower 300. I really like the look of it, It’s not too big and I can fit it near my home theater.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m excited to upgrade to a 5090. Rocking a 3080 right now and regret not having gone 4090 instead of pinching Pennies.

Likely won’t upgrade until next year. Need to save up.

Buggy Loop

Confused Liam Neeson GIF

Holding on a 3080 Ti so far, not so bad for ultrawide 1440p. Not sure a 5090 would be the choice for me at that resolution. I doubt games will even need it as if console baseline are nowhere near. Interested in maybe 5070 ish or 5080 depending on VRAM.

I feel we're on the cusp of AI flipping the table on everything rendering in the coming years. Might be the last gen of "classic" GPU cards.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I don't need a 5090... I don't need a 5090...

... but I could get a nice chunk of change from my 4090 to put towards it. just saying

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
What I want most is to have some killer app, some game that can’t quite be maxed out on a 4090. I hope Nvidia sponsors some showpiece games that can push the new hardware to its limits. Are there any “aspirational” games coming this year or next?

who am I kidding… I’m upgrading either way…..

I think that starting in 2025 we'll see some games push the 4090 to it's limits @4K. GTA 6, Marvel 1943, Fable, etc.. etc..

Hellblade II is only a month away as well, and that's maxing out @30fps on console. So we might see that one max settings @ 4k push the 4090 as well.

Last edited:
Really hoping those "leaks" with memory info are way off. We shouldn't see 8GB of vRAM on anything but a 5050 or whatever 4665 they bring out for the bottom. Need 16GB on the 5060 to take the new line seriously.
Kek, you gonna be waiting for ages. Just buy an old RX6800 or maybe a used 4060ti 16GB once these come out. They go for $450 new so ebay should have them for much cheaper once the 5060ti etc are out.

I'll happily take a 5090 and sell my 4090 :)
I want a 5090 for AI that baby is gonna be beastly for Stable Diffusion. I hope it has more than 24GB of VRAM, 32GB would be alright but 48GB would be God tier which is why it won't happen. Nvidia wants you to buy an RTX 6000 Ada (for $6700) for that sweet 48GB.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's 24GB tho because you don't need more for gaming.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I want a 5090 for AI that baby is gonna be beastly for Stable Diffusion. I hope it has more than 24GB of VRAM, 32GB would be alright but 48GB would be God tier which is why it won't happen. Nvidia wants you to buy an RTX 6000 Ada (for $6700) for that sweet 48GB.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's 24GB tho because you don't need more for gaming.
With AI starting to be so big I wonder if we'll see the return of SLI for multi GPU AI Workloads? Nvidia would love to sell us multiple 5x00 cards.

StereoVsn

I think that starting in 2025 we'll see some games push the 4090 to it's limits @4K. GTA 6, Marvel 1943, Fable, etc.. etc..

Hellblade II is only a month away as well, and that's maxing out @30fps on console. So we might see that one max settings @ 4k push the 4090 as well.
GTA won’t show up on PCs till 2026-2027 since it’s releasing in 2025 (best case scenario) on consoles.

//DEVIL//

They shouldn't have created Frame Gen. It's too good and has taken away most of the incentive to upgrade.
Wait till they announce AI enhancement for the upcoming games only for the 5000 series where it will make images look much better ...

of course I am only guessing. but with the AI going on. this is a 99% chance happening. and your 4000 series will look horrible in comparison

With AI starting to be so big I wonder if we'll see the return of SLI for multi GPU AI Workloads? Nvidia would love to sell us multiple 5x00 cards.
You can do multi-gpu for language networks. All you need to do is just plug in your multiple GPUs to your PC and the workload can be spread out evenly between GPUs. The VRAM will add up together so with 2 4090s you'll have a total of 48GB of VRAM, with 4 it's 96GB. You basically need 48GB if you want to run large language models that have 70 billion parameters, the more parameters the smarter the model and the more VRAM you need.

For image generation (Stable diffusion) you can't stack GPUs but for the upcoming Stable diffusion 3 eventually this might be possible, the thing is image generators are usually small the largest SD3 model is only 8B parameters so you can run SD easily even on 8GB GPUs. But if you want to do more stuff like add multiple LORAs, or add a language model to work with SD or add an upscaler you'll need more VRAM. The compute power of 5090 should make everything much faster though.

As for Nvidia, they have been stripping away consumer GPUs for years. For the 4090 they took away NVlink support (I believe 3090 still has it), they've also stripped out memory optimizations that make multi GPU better. Basically for them it's like this: you want gaming? you buy our gaming line (40/50 series), you want to do professional work? You buy our Quadro line now called RTX x000 (like the RTX 2000 Ada or the 6000 Ada), the 2000 is like $600 and the 6000 is almost $7000 for one but you can buy 2 and have 96GB of VRAM easy 😁 (they also stripped away NVlink for these). You're a big company doing server visual server work? You buy the L series like the L40. All of these cards are made using the gaming GPU chips inside the 40 series. The RTX 2000 is a 4060 (using the same chip) equivalent, the 6000 is 4090 equivalent.

You want non visual server work for compute? You buy the HGX or DGX series like the H100 (new one is called the Blackwell B100 which the 50 series will be based on). So... A 4090 MSRPs for $1600, the RTX 6000 Ada for $6700, the H100 for $30,000 (can go up north of 40k). Guess which one Nvidia wants you to buy most? If you want to do AI work Nvidia wants you to use it's AI cards and at minimum buy RTX x000, you want more power you buy H series for up to $40k. And of course the HGX/DGX lines all support NVlink still and all the faciest stuff while the RTX x000 and 40/50 series don't. That's what Nvidia wants you to buy most and if you can't afford then buy whatever you can afford and accept the inferior performance.

Nvidia enabling stuff like NVlink and a lot of VRAM is just going to make companies stop buying RTX 6000s and H100s. This already happened with the 3090 and 4090 where gaming companies and some visual companies stopped buying the RTX 6000s and bought the way cheaper 4090s instead, that's because the 4090 is priced to be affordable to consumers so it's so cheap to a company that it works out better for them to buy consumer grade HW there by fucking us consumers over and prompting Nvidia to cripple their gaming GPUs more. 🤷

simpatico

Kek, you gonna be waiting for ages. Just buy an old RX6800 or maybe a used 4060ti 16GB once these come out. They go for $450 new so ebay should have them for much cheaper once the 5060ti etc are out.
Kinda my plan. Once we get concrete 5xxx series info I'll either pick one of buy something used as a bridge. Hoping we see good perf out of Intel Battlemage tbh. The A770 has come a long way in a short period of time. If leaks are accurate they could really pull down green and red pricing. Well, red at least. $400 7900 GRE is almost..... good?

Kinda my plan. Once we get concrete 5xxx series info I'll either pick one of buy something used as a bridge. Hoping we see good perf out of Intel Battlemage tbh. The A770 has come a long way in a short period of time. If leaks are accurate they could really pull down green and red pricing. Well, red at least. $400 7900 GRE is almost..... good?
Yea I'm rooting for Intel more than any other company. They have the resources to do what AMD never will. I hope the B770 at least matches base 4070 performance but we'll see.

Dr.D00p

November/December '24 release, March/April '25 before you'll actually be able to buy one of the damn things without sitting at a keyboard, bashing F5 all day....after being alerted of new stock on one of the half dozen alerts you've set up.

Moochi

We will see diffusion engine models on the 5000 series that will make UE5 and other engines obsolete. It will be like the jump between Snes and N64. I'm very active in the AI art space. Gamers in general are going to be slackjawed when it happens, because for most it will seem like it came out of nowhere. None of the big players are talking about it yet, but the shots will be fired soon...

Bojji

EEYj7Sx.jpg

Holy fuck at this difference in SMs between 5080 and 5090. 4090 had 1.7x SMs of 4080, 5090 will have exactly 2x more and with 2x memory BW LOL.

They will fuck us even more with ridiculous prices and differences between GPUs. For comparison Ampere cards:

HzfCOKA.jpg

You had to go below 3070 to see number of SMs under half of 3090. Now we have that in second best GPU...

Puscifer

If they ship with bad pricing I'm pretty much out of the PC building game. Already losing interest in consoles, my steam deck and pocket emulators get way more usage and I launch the PC for big stuff I wanna play but fuck those prices, man.

hlm666

What I want most is to have some killer app, some game that can’t quite be maxed out on a 4090. I hope Nvidia sponsors some showpiece games that can push the new hardware to its limits. Are there any “aspirational” games coming this year or next?

who am I kidding… I’m upgrading either way…..

Wukong seems to have all the RT bells and whistles and due early 2025 i think.

Top Bottom