• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AIBs expect RTX 5000 for Q4 2024

winjer

Gold Member

Board manufacturers anticipate the launch of NVIDIA’s latest RTX 50 series graphics cards in the fourth quarter, initially focusing on high-end products like the 5090 and 5080. Analysts are optimistic that NVIDIA’s biennial major GPU upgrades will boost shipment volumes for board manufacturers this year and drive up the average selling price (ASP) of graphics card products.
— Money UDN

The anticipation builds around NVIDIA's next-generation gaming GPUs, which are expected to incorporate the Blackwell architecture, initially introduced for AI and high-performance computing (HPC) applications. The forthcoming RTX 50 series is poised to leverage this architecture, marking a significant advancement in gaming graphics.

Speculation suggests that the high-end RTX 5090 and RTX 5080 graphics cards will be launched sequentially, with the potential to drive up the average selling prices (ASPs) of GPUs as gamers seek to upgrade to more advanced models. Among NVIDIA's board partners, MSI is reportedly expecting significant growth in shipments and performance with the RTX 50 series and associated AI PC platforms. There are also rumors about the technical specifications of the upcoming GPUs, with the GB202 GPU potentially featuring up to 192 Streaming Multiprocessors (SMs) and the GB203 GPU possibly equipped with 96 SMs. If NVIDIA maintains its current configuration for FP32 (CUDA) cores, this could result in 24,576 and 12,288 cores for the RTX 5090 and RTX 5080, respectively, although full configurations may not be utilized to ensure optimal yield rates.

Still nothing confirmed, but if board partners are expecting this to happen, it might be an indication of what is to come.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
It's naive to even hope for prices to stay the same as they are currently, right?

Yes. Nvidia’s profit margins are already completely absurd. Expect prices to get worse as they try to justify to themselves staying in the desktop GPU game. They basically have the market to themselves at this point and it would still probably be more profitable to ditch it and focus completely on enterprise AI shit.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Not gonna upgrade but interested to see the RT performance on the 5080/5090. Some rumors suggest we'll be seeing the same uplift as we did with the 3090 and 4090. If that's true, then the 5090 will be viable for PT at 4K in some games even without DLSS.

Last edited:

Elios83

"Analysts are optimistic that NVIDIA’s biennial major GPU upgrades will boost shipment volumes for board manufacturers this year and drive up the average selling price (ASP) of graphics card products."

Yeah we can't wait for prices to go up again, 2000$ GPUs getting normalized :pie_grinning_sweat:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
"Analysts are optimistic that NVIDIA’s biennial major GPU upgrades will boost shipment volumes for board manufacturers this year and drive up the average selling price (ASP) of graphics card products."

Yeah we can't wait for prices to go up again, 2000$ GPUs getting normalized :pie_grinning_sweat:
Probably. The choice is simple though. Don’t buy nvidia stuff, accept worse performance from amd at a much lower cost. It’s not that much worse (except for rt)…

StereoVsn

Yes. Nvidia’s profit margins are already completely absurd. Expect prices to get worse as they try to justify to themselves staying in the desktop GPU game. They basically have the market to themselves at this point and it would still probably be more profitable to ditch it and focus completely on enterprise AI shit.
It probably wouldn’t be smart to fully go into AI. There are a lot of competitors coming up focusing on AI side performance. This ranges from startups to Intel to corpos like MS, Google, Amazon, and Facebook developing NPU accelerators in house.

rm082e

I'm more interested to see what happens to 4080s and 4090s on ebay. I was surprised how quickly the 3000 series cards fell in value after the 4000 series came out. A 4080 for $650-$700 is a whole different value proposition from the current MSRP.

StereoVsn

Probably. The choice is simple though. Don’t buy nvidia stuff, accept worse performance from amd at a much lower cost. It’s not that much worse (except for rt)…
The thing is it’s not much lower cost. I can get a 4080 for $1K or 7900xtx at $900-950. This is for the “vanilla” cards. Difference isn’t that significant for comparable GPUs unless we go to a 4090, but that’s a separate animal.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
It probably wouldn’t be smart to fully go into AI. There are a lot of competitors coming up focusing on AI side performance. This ranges from startups to Intel to corpos like MS, Google, Amazon, and Facebook developing NPU accelerators in house.

Not gonna pretend to be an expert but they seem to have a leg up on everyone in the field. Their growth in the last 5 years has been nuts.

Not gonna upgrade but interested to see the RT performance on the 5080/5090. Some rumors suggest we'll be seeing the same uplift as we did with the 3090 and 4090. If that's true, then the 5090 will be viable for PT at 4K in some games even without DLSS.
I remember reading that Nvidia are going ham on the 50 Series and especially the 5090 as they're expecting it to compete against both RDNA 4 and RDNA 5.

rm082e

The thing is it’s not much lower cost. I can get a 4080 for $1K or 7900xtx at $900-950. This is for the “vanilla” cards. Difference isn’t that significant for comparable GPUs unless we go to a 4090, but that’s a separate animal.
I haven't been following frame generation on AMD. Is it as good as Nvidia? That seemed to me like a big bonus for Nvidia.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Is it really that close? I didn’t know. I assumed at least 200. Appreciate you giving me the update!

StereoVsn

Not gonna pretend to be an expert but they seem to have a leg up on everyone in the field. Their growth in the last 5 years has been nuts.
Yes.. for now but there are some specialized hardware implementations coming.

I haven't been following frame generation on AMD. Is it as good as Nvidia? That seemed to me like a big bonus for Nvidia.
It’s just as good at rendering but behind in features like DLSS and RTX.

Is it really that close? I didn’t know. I assumed at least 200. Appreciate you giving me the update!

Yeah, in US it’s pretty close.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I want one but I'm also wondering if you'll even be able to get one this year, now that the EVGA queue isn't a thing anymore.
You know the scalpers will be out in full force, in addition to all the normal people to just want to upgrade.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm a typical early adopter of premium hardware and a 4090 owner. But this time I'm just going to wait and see to probe the pace of the switch from traditional rendering to AI generative.

I want one but I'm also wondering if you'll even be able to get one this year, now that the EVGA queue isn't a thing anymore.
You know the scalpers will be out in full force, in addition to all the normal people to just want to upgrade.
I'm worried I'll buy one online and the box will contain a big rock.

Reallink

It's naive to even hope for prices to stay the same as they are currently, right?
Pretty much a 100% guarantee the 10-15% cutdown GB202 5090's fake "FE MSRP" will be $1999, with AIB's being $2200 - $2500. They will sell out before product pages even go live, and continue sell out within seconds for another 4-6+ months (just as the 4090 and 3XXX's did). This proposed 12,000 core GB203 based 5080 will be a little slower than a 4090 on a multi-game average and could potentially be priced at $999 if they have ample supply, but I'd expect $1200 - $1300 if they're still devoting all their TSMC capacity to commercial AI GPU's.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
What I want most is to have some killer app, some game that can’t quite be maxed out on a 4090. I hope Nvidia sponsors some showpiece games that can push the new hardware to its limits. Are there any “aspirational” games coming this year or next?

who am I kidding… I’m upgrading either way…..

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Spider Man Lol GIF

//DEVIL//

wake me up when there is a game that support this GPU.

nothing out there a 4090 cant max ( unless you want path tracing ) and that will be fine with DLSS or FG.

No big games coming that will actually utilize this power. dev has gone to shit. all we will get is Nvidia providnig some cyberpunk numbers compared to 4090 as well as couple of videos from wulong or whatever that chinese monkey man game is compared to a 4090.

I am more interested in a GPU that can actually be used. by the time a game come ( not even GTA is coming PC this year, maybe next ? ) we will probably have a 5090 super or something stupid like that. or a new battlefield or something that actually use this power.

Honestly with the current trend of gaming, I would stay stick with what you have till next gen games are out. then buy a GPU based around that technology.

Last edited:

simpatico

Really hoping those "leaks" with memory info are way off. We shouldn't see 8GB of vRAM on anything but a 5050 or whatever 4665 they bring out for the bottom. Need 16GB on the 5060 to take the new line seriously.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Really hoping those "leaks" with memory info are way off. We shouldn't see 8GB of vRAM on anything but a 5050 or whatever 4665 they bring out for the bottom. Need 16GB on the 5060 to take the new line seriously.
16 gigs should be a requirement too I think. Maybe 12 is ok.

simpatico

16 gigs should be a requirement too I think. Maybe 12 is ok.
12 would have been ok for the 4060. Remember most 3060s had 12GB. I'm not letting the bottom dollar 4xxx series change my expectations. Honestly 12 should be the bottom for the 5050 4665 low end card. We're already seen perf loss on 8GB on a couple 1080p games.

danklord

Gold Member
The 4090 is currently fetching close to retail for used on ebay and I don't see that going down soon. Given the fees associated, you should be able to pull off the flip and upgrade for around $500 depending on how good you are at selling. Can't wait!

StereoVsn

My wallet is ready! But I won’t like it 😂
Yeah, same here (5080 only unless 5090 is $1500 or less).

Plus my kids want a gaming PC so I am going to justify giving them my PC and getting a new one in the same manner I justified giving them my OG Steam Deck and getting OLED 😅.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
Really? I thought it was 2025?...

Either way aren't these just going to be larger more power hungry chips? Are they actually going to improve on perf per watt over 4000 series?

Last edited:

Reallink

How many TFLOPs would these graphics cards theoretically be able to do?

Assuming the same node and roughly the same clocks, the shipping consumer 5090 will likely be cutdown ~1X% with around 22,XXX cores. This would put the new "fake" dual issue simultaneous INT32/FP32 teraflops around 125. By the old single calculation teraflop metric that pegs PS5 and Series X at 10-12TF, this cutdown 5090 would be ~62TF. On same node and same clocks I'd probably expect a 30-50% improvement over a 4090 varying by title. If they actually ship almost the full chip (24,000 cores) and somehow up the clocks it might be possible to hit 60-80% gains over a 4090.

Last edited:
Top Bottom