• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan's population to shrink by a third by 2065

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. Most of the economy is based on consumption, esp in developed countries (70% of US GDP is consumption for example). A society can't exist with just machines working.

The world's economy is going to change drastically by 2065. Do you think the way the economy works now (constant growth in consumption and population) can continue? It's going to crash one way or another.

Madness

Japan, and the government in particular, needs to open up to immigration. Japan isn't even particularly vulnerable to a mass wave of low-skilled immigrants who would disrupt Japanese society or stress their social services. They just need to make becoming a citizen/residency/visa stuff easier and encourage companies to recruit foreign talent. There are a lot of people who want to work and live in Japan.

Or maybe they can incentivize higher birthrates as well. Immigration isn't the end all be all of low birthrates. Promote a culture where motherhood isn't a hindrance to a career. The same issues persist in the west. How many women can affors to go to school, have a career with a child? Imagine if things like universal daycare, corporations having nurseries and pre-schools for people with children, transit was cost effective and safe, rent was controlled and not subject to speculation. The fact just is, the average young man or woman, children are a burden, and it is tough to have one child let alone 2 or more.

Cyrano

The world's economy is going to change drastically by 2065. Do you think the way the economy works now (constant growth in consumption and population) can continue? It's going to crash one way or another.
Yeah, an economy of conspicuous consumption isn't sustainable. Especially with billions of people on an Earth with very limited resources.

Why would you want population increase in a world of automation? And that's not even considering how cramped Japan is.

It's literally a biological imperative. More people in the population makes the species resilient to adverse conditions, as long as the issues of large populations (food scarcity and illness/disease spread, which we can basically ignore in developed countries) are controlled. More people also means more chances at improvement (in that discoveries are made by people and so more people can only improve our chances).

There's a direct relationship between the massive gains in quality of life and population increases in the last few hundred years. Better lives -> more people -> new discoveries in engineering, medicine, etc... -> better lives -> and so on and so on...

Keri

Or maybe they can incentivize higher birthrates as well. Immigration isn't the end all be all of low birthrates. Promote a culture where motherhood isn't a hindrance to a career. The same issues persist in the west. How many women can affors to go to school, have a career with a child? Imagine if things like universal daycare, corporations having nurseries and pre-schools for people with children, transit was cost effective and safe, rent was controlled and not subject to speculation. The fact just is, the average young man or woman, children are a burden, and it is tough to have one child let alone 2 or more.

Yeah. This is a natural side effect, when a county opts not to support working families (and particularly, working mothers). If you make it impossible to do both (career and family), women will stop having babies. (Although, I guess you could go the Republican route - deny access to abortions and limit access to birth control, to force women into having more babies).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The big assumption in that paper isn't whether or not jobs will be replaced, but this:
Why exactly would people not be writing code that writes code? If that's what affects the scale of computerization, it's easily one of the most valuable things you could do, yet the paper you've cited assumes this won't happen. As a person who works in similar research, I'm already quite aware that it is happening and will continue to happen. Virtual AIs that are set to specific tasks will massively improve upon these inefficiencies and solve problems at considerably improved rates. The industrial revolution happened as a result of a few major changes, I think it's safe to assume that a few major changes in current computer technology stand to have similar effects (as the microprocessor, fuzzy logic, etc.). To the paper itself, the standard deviation rates in its own assumptions about computerization are also pretty massive.
There's still large amounts of theory to control and systems engineering that is not fully understand. You be astonished by the amount of money they pay control engineers to essentially work by trial and error to achieve ideal response when your working with extremely complex control systems. Lots of work still needs to be done academically. Advancements in AI help with efficiency but someone has to come up with the mathematical model for the specific scenario. All of that takes time and money. This is ignoring the costs legal repercussions and everything else that comes with this. In certain industries automatisation will not simply replace in the majority of jobs in a decade or two there's still ways to go.

The idea is to move towards a post scarcity economy. A mass consumption economy like the world has now can not continue. For environmental reasons as well as the sheer impossibility of perpetual population growth.
Let's assume that you are right, how does automation and a smaller population are a solution and a benefit for this post scarcity economy (of which you give no details btw) that you consider inevitable?

Cyrano

There's still large amounts of theory to control and systems engineering that is not fully understand. You be astonished by the amount of money they pay control engineers to essentially work by trial and error to achieve ideal response when your working with extremely complex control systems. Lots of work still needs to be done academically. Advanced in SO help with efficiency but someone has to come up with the mathematical model for the specific scenario.
I agree, but I think we have different expectations for when those advances come about.

Curufinwe

Capitalism assumes constant growth. Can't have a nation built on capital if your workforce (the creators of capital) is declining.

The bigger issue is that you need a certain ratio of workers to retired people or supporting them becomes unsustainable.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...on-payments-system-set-overhaul/#.WO0Z-6Lavcs

Japan’s public pension system is set to undergo an overhaul starting in April following sweeping changes to contributions and payments in the face of an aging and dwindling population.

Under a law passed by the Diet late last year, retirees and pensioners will “share burdens” with retired people through cuts in pension payments when the wages of workers drop, Health, Labor and Welfare Minister Yasuhisa Shiozaki said.

Currently, the system is maintained through contributions from the working-age population to fund pension payments for retirees.

However, Shiozaki said the system is becoming unsustainable as the number of pension benefit recipients is increasing while the working-age population is shrinking.

Cyrano

A joke no doubt, but cyborgs will certainly exist in 2065. Assuming the world doesn't destroy itself. They already exist now in a very limited sense. The real revolution, however, will be AI capable of human like thought.
I don't think it's even necessary to have an AI capable of human thought. Just enough thought to create outputs outside initial inputs.
The bigger issue is that you need a certain ratio of workers to retired people or supporting them becomes unsustainable.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...on-payments-system-set-overhaul/#.WO0Z-6Lavcs
It mostly just accelerates the problem, but yeah, agreed.

Not

Banned
Why not offer incentives to foreign immigrants and mix those races up a lil

Oh also, work less and judge people different than you less

Oh man, it's nice here up on my pedestal :/

Do they think without gay marriage that LGBT people just go "welp guess I'll procreate in a heteronormative relationship now"

actually it does make sense from a biological point of view. If homosexuality is coded through genes, as it's been suggested by some studies (I've just read that in Susan Blackmore's The Meme Machine), then the only means through which it can be passed to the next generation is reproduction. So, if the assumption is valid, homosexuality would not exist if gay and lesbians had not been coerced in heterosexual relationships.

I just wanted to write this because I had never given much thought about this eventuality, and I was surprised when I read the aforementioned book; obviously it goes without saying that the argument falls apart if genes do not play any role whatsoever in establishing one's sexual orientation.

Immigration also leads to economic diversity and growth:

While Japan hasn't seen as many new companies and ideas:

Plus factor in the reality that people ignore that it is actually more costly to raise up a Japanese born citizen compared to taking in a skilled immigrant who has already been raised and spent on by another country.

The integration costs are actually far lower then the costs used to raise someone since birth.

Then there the whole role of Japan's terrible internship laws which are literally akin to something you would see in Gulf Arab states:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt__lHCuH5g

To many factors need to be changed for Japan if it wants to maintain the costs of taking care of all the future seniors the country will soon have.

Did anyone bring up that dead village filled with mannequins yet?

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-japan-dolls-widerimage-idUSKBN0MC0ME20150316

japan-scarecrows.jpg

Creeps me out, honestly.

Neo C.

To many factors need to be changed for Japan if it wants to maintain the costs of taking care of all the future seniors the country will soon have.
I agree.

To be honest, I wouldn't stay in Japan for longer than 5 years unless a company hires me for a high level job. The salary is much lower than in my country and the work condition isn't very good either. My Japanese friend frequently complained about the rude male working climate, she is sick of all the yellings, lol.

Breakage

Even if a person is half-Japanese, it seems they're not full accepted. The outrage surrounding those Miss Japan winners demonstrates that.

I'm watching my best-friend slowly lose his mind working in Japan. The hours are insane, the expectations are ludicrous and the inability to make any real difference in the company because of xenophobia and bureaucracy is frustrating.

It's no wonder marriages are failing and young adults are opting out of starting families.

What is your friend's ethnic background?

Rudelord

I mean. That's a good thing. General population shrinkage is what you'd tend to want considering how many people we've got on this blue ball of rock and water. You don't need to march replacements onto a tiny island.

Faustek

Would also help if they didn't try to kill women's careers. Spit out a kid? Stop working. Stop working and spit out a kid.
This is a problem in all western cultures as well. Couples don't want kids due to the cost but the government feels at ease slashing whatever help there exists and then when lower income houses don't stop fucking we don't feel like helping them become achievers.

___

Keigo Japanese is maddening.

40% of adults 18-35 on GAF are virgins. I remember reading that about GAF

Ftfy

sirap

Even if a person is half-Japanese, it seems they're not full accepted. The outrage surrounding those Miss Japan winners demonstrates that.
What is your friend's ethnic background?

He's Malaysian with Chinese and Malay parents. Funnily enough, unless you knew that you wouldn't be able to tell him apart from a regular Japanese man.

Not that it matters, his superiors and coworkers know he's not from Japan. He's worked for that company for half a decade and they still treat him as an outsider.

Other people in the thread have brought up automation, but we desperately need to challenge this particular assumption.

Automation produces massive wealth without requiring people to be employed. That is the entire point. Currently, that created wealth flows directly to the wealthy people in society who own firms. If that wealth is redistributed, then we could easily sustain a population where retirees greatly outnumber the number of people in the labor force.

tokkun

People have been saying this since Thomas Malthus came around in 1798. So no, I don't think it should be taken as an absolute given that we will have hit some upper limit in 50 years.

You may very well be right that we will hit some upper limit on population and consumption, but still be wildly off about the timing.

Somnid

The problem with shrinking your population is that you need to do it sustainably. You can't have most of your population geriatric and unproductive unless you really do have Jetson robots because otherwise the young have to work harder (and exacerbate the problem) or you have a major humanitarian crisis.

Immigrants is a fine, easy fix and best of all you can actually control who it is, so you can get a net influx of smarter and more talented people. It's always appreciated when you allow refugees but that's not the only kind of immigration and right now Japan is way too strict.

Also, fix your goddam work priorities. It's great if you feel good from working, but not everybody can deal with it. Metrics over perception.

Zoe

Immigrants is a fine, easy fix and best of all you can actually control who it is, so you can get a net influx of smarter and more talented people. It's always appreciated when you allow refugees but that's not the only kind of immigration and right now Japan is way too strict.

But do they really need the "smarter and more talented people"? Most of the issues brought up in the thread point towards needing more caregivers and filling the menial jobs that the locals don't want to do.

Of course that introduces the problem of a clear sub-class.

.JayZii

Banned
Whatever happens in Japan will be an important lesson for the rest of the world's countries. Can automation make up for a shrinking population? Will it change their work culture for the better? Can their neo-isolationist policies be made viable?

50 years is a long ass time. We're all going to have to figure our shit out by 2065 and I don't think "continue exponentially increasing the population" will be the answer.

trixx

What is the problem with not have a big population? I think is ok.

huge elderly base that is dependent on small young population. Economy in general will likely be less efficient. Amongst many other things

This is actually a trend occurring in many nations, but generally most countries try to curb it with immigration. Immigration alone won't fix this however

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom