• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Schreier: Starfield is nowhere near done

Papacheeks

Banned
It's crazy to think MS has bought so many studios to get out of the Halo / Gears / Forza rut and the two big games they got coming this year is Halo and Forza. It never ends.

Issue is they had those studios already in development for those games long before, so they may have other things to start project wise. But have to finish these before they can go into full production.

Yeah but if it is holiday 22 then the "nowhere near done" is not correct. This Jason guy has been making a lot of statements recently and they've not been the most reliable have they? Remember the 343 dev?

People have been expecting it to be this year or early 2022 and that it's just in a bug fixing phase.

in that context If it's actually fall 2022, then yeah, it's nowhere near done yet. He's still said himself that the plan is 2022

What has he gotten wrong? He got blacklisted by bethesda pricesly because he's accurate with these leaks

Last edited:

Interfectum

Issue is they had those studios already in development for those games long before, so they may have other things to start project wise. But have to finish these before they can go into full production.
Yeah I know. These things take time but damn Phil has been in charge for awhile now and he still can't get away from the Xbox trinity of games. We just had a Gears expansion heading right into Halo and Forza.

People have been expecting it to be this year or early 2022 and that it's just in a bug fixing phase.

in that context If it's actually fall 2022, then yeah, it's nowhere near done yet. He's still said himself that the plan is 2022

What has he gotten wrong? He got blacklisted by bethesda pricesly because he's accurate with these leaks
The 343 dev debunked what he was saying regarding work practices.

The 343 dev debunked what he was saying regarding work practices.

Work practices and stuff about the culture are just subjective. You'll get different answers depending on who you ask. Why I don't pay attention to it.

When it comes to the game's themselves? His track record is spot on. He's leaked both Fallout 4 and 76. I don't see this being any different

Last edited:
Don't Bethesda normally release games at 50% done and try to fix it 4 years down the line? So, what's the problem?

Regardless, that means ES6 isn't coming out till at least 2026.

Last edited:

Flabagast

You can all buy CP2077 next gen edition if you want a RPG fix this fall, does not seem there will be anything else to fill this gap until mid 2022 at the very least
marie-laure%20aigrie.gif

Iced Arcade

I don't think anyone really expected this game this year.

All these xbox insiders and their rumors man. Writing has been on the wall if you were paying attention. It not starting development until 2019, and with covid probably little to no development has been made. We're probably looking at 2023 date here and thats assuming they dont drastically reduce the scope or size of the game.
"Starfield's team was very small until 2019"

Lol reading

3liteDragon

I'm gonna say right now this Jason guy is full of it. It doesn't make sense to show it this year if it's so way off.
I think they can still show something from the game even if it’s coming Fall 2022.

But I guess the big question now is what capacity will the game be shown at E3 in? Is it gonna be a full-blown CGI trailer, in-engine or gameplay running on Series X?

XBox needs to build hype.

Microsoft can't be establishing an image of "We do lower quality GamePass type games. Sony does big exclusives."

It makes perfect sense that they'd show this game off early.
You could be right but they should have a lot of games to show anyway, surely the best thing to do is show this next year as showing it very early is just going to infuriate people.

Dr Kaneda

Fallout 4 and Skyrim have both released in Q4 of their respective years so I expect Starfield will be the say. November-ish 2022.

GuinGuin

Banned
Not surprised. The last rumor I heard was that the game is in development hell and basically broke the Gamebryo engine and they had to start from scratch with a new engine possibly Unreal. If true expect a lot fewer RPG mechanics and more shooty shooty. Think of the difference between Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect Andromeda and you'll get the idea.

sobaka770

Banned
They will show it at E3 anyway cause otherwise there's not going to be a lot of lineup apart from Halo 5 and maybe Forza. MS really shit the bed lately with their games pipeline so they are running on fumes until 2022 at least. From then on, with so many studios they will probably find a good cadence.

As for release, 2021 seemed only possible because Bethesda started marketing their games very close to release lately but whatever people's feelings are on Schreier his inside information is usually legit. Honestly those reveals with just a logo are setting a lot of false expectations: GoW Ragnarok, Starfield, Mass Effect - it's nice to know those things are coming but 4 years until release is a stretch.

Roufianos

Ah well, we'll live. Not too invested in a game I know next to nothing about, especially from a developer who's hardly on a roll. They were heavily involved in F76? Even more embarrassing.

Not surprised. The last rumor I heard was that the game is in development hell and basically broke the Gamebryo engine and they had to start from scratch with a new engine possibly Unreal. If true expect a lot fewer RPG mechanics and more shooty shooty. Think of the difference between Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect Andromeda and you'll get the idea.
Mad Max Reaction GIF

Papacheeks

Banned
How could you possibly know this? Or are you just making shit up?

People from GameIndustry.biz, VGC and Jason have all said the same thing in terms of MS first party studios like Initiative's Perfect dark, Playgrounds Fable. They are a long ways off.

Not at all but going by Bethesda’s E3 history they don't show games that are years off and Phil Spencer doesn't like doing that either.

And yet E3 2020 was a bunch of games that were years off and most of them shown in CGI trailer form.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
even the game can come out in 2025 and still be a mess because it's Bethesda. Elder scrolls online fallout 4 and fallout 76 all had issues or was just bad

Last edited:
How is it bait? The game has been in development almost a decade. If development were smooth they would be well into working on a sequel by now.

It's been in a planning/pre-development phase for over a decade. Most of that time was probably just todd and some others in a room with a drawing board

That's normal for game development. Especially for big new IPs

Last edited:
This starfield stuff is getting stale now.

People just need to wait for todd howard and phil Spencer. All these "insiders" are getting free clicks, streams, twitter follows, and attention just throwing shit out.

Maybe i should make a twitter and push my prediction of Fall 2022 lol

Top Bottom