• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jason Scheier: "Starfield 83 Metacritic Score was only possible because of Xbox outlets"

Majormaxxx

Yeah, the game started at like 90 and then dropped all the way down to 83.

Typically, games only drop around 3 points from their initial review embargo.

83 is way too high for this game. I think this shouldve been rated like Mass Effect Andromeda, Destiny and GT Sports. 70-75 metacritic.
Gt Sport was a good game. 85 in my book except for the online save.

Mister Wolf

Marc Lamont Hill Wtf GIF by Identity

I stand on that quote. World, writing, rpg mechanics, visuals, companions, and most importantly combat will all be better.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
To me, user scores are more unreliable than MC scores since all it takes is some internet bombing and a game can go down the drain. As much as people like to hate FIFA, WOW, COD etc.... these games can get user score bombed to 1 or 2/10. Thats worse than Big Rigs Racing. So for you guys comparing MC scores to user scores, dont forget these if user scores are so accurate.

Lr8rVmH.jpg

3GpUTem.jpg
Metacritic user scores are indeed useless because anybody can bomb them - and people do.

Verified Steam user reviews are another story though. They are as accurate as user reviews can possibly be.

Topher

Gold Member
To me, user scores are more unreliable than MC scores since all it takes is some internet bombing and a game can go down the drain. As much as people like to hate FIFA, WOW, COD etc.... these games can get user score bombed to 1 or 2/10. Thats worse than Big Rigs Racing. So for you guys comparing MC scores to user scores, dont forget these if user scores are so accurate.

Lr8rVmH.jpg

3GpUTem.jpg

Yeah......but don't compare Metacritic user scores to Steam user scores either.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
yep, I called that long ago
They also faked METRO's score lol
It was 3/5 "Starfield review – the final verdict: outdated, unambitious and disjointed"
iZJiqHY.png
They quoted a different Metro site as 5/5. They should had called it Metro Time.

T4keD0wN

He is right, metacritic is trash because they count reviews from platform related sites, but this extends to literally every game on there. Everything Fandom Inc. touches is trash.

Granted i admit it makes perfect sense that an xbox related site would review an xbox game, etc. The least they could do is let you filter such sites.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Spider-Man 2:
Critics: 90
Users: 90

Same score

God of War Ragnarok:
Critics: 94
Users: 81

13 points of difference

FFXVI:
Critics: 87
Users: 81

6 points of difference

Starfield:
Critics: 83
Users: 69

14 points of different

Seems like the worst one was Starfield, following closely by Ragnarok. The other 2 don't deserve to be included in this comparison.

Even if i play mostly on Playstation, that 94 for Ragnarok was not deserved...like, at all.
Yeah, I don't know what the answer is.

I remember that 94 is why I bought Ragnarok, and I didn't make it more than 10 hours. I was very let down but the lowest I'd go was an 8 just because so much of it is polished and well made. That was a BotW level transformative score, 94. I ended up really regretting that purchase, so I don't know what happened there. That's a hugely significant "all time great" type of score.

I don't know what happens with most reviews these days. I know Starfield has some flaws, but nothing I played warranted a 4/10 like Sterling gave it, or 6/10 like Metro. Even Ragnarok which I hated I would give an 8 by trying to take my own opinion out of it and just look at what's there. I feel like there's very little of that happening with Starfield though.

I don't get it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The carefully curated outlets for initial reviews was one of the most blatant cases of corruption I’ve seen lately in the industry.
Been going on for probably 20 years. Coincidentally, video game review scores all seemed to edge up to that 6-10 scale when the internet ramped up in the late 90s/early 2000s. Super high scores and often (not always) the reviews launched first on the net are the high marks and then when the dust settles the game score edges down. It's almost never happens the other way where the meh scores come out first and all the good scores comes the next few days making an MC or OC score actually go up.

They quoted a different Metro site as 5/5. They should had called it Metro Time.

Thank you, good to know the truth
Guess I can make a joke about MS using ANY website lol

Topher

Gold Member
Same thing. PC users bombed it too.

OeeYRTa.jpg
Q8UdeGj.jpg

Wrong. Not the same thing at all. Metacritic users bombed the game before it was even released. That is why Metacritic changed when user reviews could be submitted. Steam reviews were by those who actually bought the game and TLOU 1 reviews reflected the horrible port. That's why you see "Recent Reviews" as "Very Positive" because the issues were largely fixed.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I'm continuously amazed at how many people misspell Schreier's name when it's in the twitter link that's posted.

Also, the fact that Starfield is still melting off IQ points for several people is more entertaining than the game ever could've been, honestly.
Shit I did it too. I knew that he was Schreier but when I looked at the title it was scheier so I trusted the OP. Shame on me.

cormack12

Gold Member
I understand Scheier has an axe to grind with Bethesda for getting blacklisted, but Diablo IV should not be ignored here. The Xbox version has a 91 critic meta vs a 3.0 user meta. That's fucking crazy.
I dunno, diablo iv is a good game. I think it would be useful if these sites showed a timeline of patches as well because a less than stellar launch or people moaning about xp grind can skew the stats.

Look at recent reviews for example. Someone complaining that their character is nerfed - is that the bugged sorcerer or the stupid HotA barb? Does it matter when everyone gets nerfed going back to eternal anyway?

Honestly it's all just drama. Any review scores now are pretty pointless. I file them as reliable as the obvious outlier in jim sterling's top 10 shittiest games bit.

I see no change in the worm

Tsaki

Xbox Addict - 100
Generacion Xbox - 99
SomosXbox - 98
MondoXbox - 97
Xbox Tavern - 97

Also:
TheXboxHub - 90
WindowsCentral - 90
TrueAchievements - 90
PureXbox - 90

Only two Xbox sites seem to have given it under a 90, one an 89 and one an 85.
Yep. All of them pull the Meta score up as they are above the average.
IMO every publication that has a focus on a platform, should not be on MC or OC.

Roxkis_ii

Lol @ people trying to downplay the Xbox brand site scores for Starfield. So no Xbox fan though it was funny that the first batch of reviews all came from Xbox branded sites but hardly anyone else?

I guess people doesn't see the wave of Astroturfing when they are swimming in the Koolaid. Sixteen Starfield threads ignored before release. Funny how I didn't feel the need to ignore Starfield threads after release though!

Starfield is the gift that keeps on giving on neogaf.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I stand on that quote. World, writing, rpg mechanics, visuals, companions, and most importantly combat will all be better.
It's failing in many aspects that you mentioned even in the direct video. Especially the combat system, which I believe is the best part of Starfield, is definitely not going to be any better. We're talking about a game where spells have an impact like a water gun. Of course, the game hasn't been released yet, maybe they will improve it a lot more(like... a lot).

Darsxx82

Jason Scheirer hint:

-The shameless and numerous notes below what is credible and to do harm according to him did not exist.

-Notes of 4/10, 5/10, 6/10 shameless for the mere fact of being Xbox and Bethesda not existed ...

-There are only proXbox analysts while there are no analysts inflating ratings for Playstation or Nintendo games...

OK, Jason Scheirer, I'm sure you knew that many people were going to buy this from you 😂🤣

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Lol @ people trying to downplay the Xbox brand site scores for Starfield. So no Xbox fan though it was funny that the first batch of reviews all came from Xbox branded sites but hardly anyone else?

I guess people doesn't see the wave of Astroturfing when they are swimming in the Koolaid. Sixteen Starfield threads ignored before release. Funny how I didn't feel the need to ignore Starfield threads after release though!

Starfield is the gift that keeps on giving on neogaf.
The PC metacritic score (86) is higher than the xbox version (83) though and omits basically all the 'xbox is awesome' sites.

Three

They orchestrated it well. Anybody remember this?

Tells you something about DF too

Topher

Gold Member
The PC metacritic score (86) is higher than the xbox version (83) though and omits basically all the 'xbox is awesome' sites.

That's a fact. I remember pointing that out several times during the early Starfield discussions.

Roxkis_ii

That fact that so many of those pc reviews deviate so far from the general impression the Steam reviews give is very telling....

All those sites that gave the game a 90 + on PC are sus.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's not a surprise that the game is a relative piece of shit given the studio and budget behind it. And that is holding it to the standard that it should be held at. This isn't a small indie developer. This is a developer that's had a long time to refine the engine which is still being paraded around like an old skeleton with a new coat of paint.

Nothing fixes the UI, the pacing and all the other issues that still are there. It's a nice stale looking space game and deserve the criticism that it got. But I also don't think that just because they're Xbox sites that they necessarily speak for the consensus on a good or bad level. It does say a lot for any site to give this anything above a certain score. Looking at that 100 score, you can't tell me this game in its current state. Even now is anywhere near close to 100. This was a solid 5.5 or 6 when it came out. And that's being generous. Gamer should expect more and just shouldn't lick the teeth right off of bethesda's tacos. And if some of that came out wrong then blame the voice generator on my phone.

It doesn't change the fact that Starfield is a subpar disappointment and that it was overrated when it came out and has since been properly gauged and reviewed by the community and in general, The verdict has been logged out on the game. It's a disappointment and nowhere near as good as the scores say. At least when it comes to those mainstream scores including those Xbox websites which are totally wrong.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Yep. All of them pull the Meta score up as they are above the average.
IMO every publication that has a focus on a platform, should not be on MC or OC.

Also, yes Forbes is also effectively a fan site.

Contributor articles tend to be sponsored content, and I highly doubt Forbes is the one supplying the contributor with the game for review.

Top Bottom